PDA

View Full Version : Is there really anything that can be done to counter the MSM?

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 08:19 PM
We all know that the media is not interested in giving fair coverage to Ron Paul. While we can bitch and moan about it the bottom line is that does no good. I ask because just whining about the MSM is a waste of time and is a distraction that does not get Ron Paul more votes.

Is there anything we can do about it? If so what actions should we take?

walt
12-23-2007, 08:20 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=64279

hypnagogue
12-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Beside starting our own station, not much.

Antonius Stone
12-23-2007, 08:23 PM
guerrilla campaigning.

make 1000x stickers that say "THE IRS" and slap one on every stop sign in your area.

make 1000x stickers that say "IRAQ" and slap one on every exit ramp sign on your local freeways

Xanax Nation
12-23-2007, 08:24 PM
VOTE!!!!! Show them they and their supporting polls are wrong.

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-23-2007, 08:26 PM
VOTE!!!!! Show them they and their supporting polls are wrong.

Agreed... just win the election and show them that they are biased..... F-ck Rupert Murdoch

anarchy
12-23-2007, 08:28 PM
YES, we can.

We need to organize groups to follow the media vans everywhere so we can always stand behind the cameras.

We can also send some people to fox & friends in the morning to go stand on the street cause they look out on the street.

iella
12-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I was thinking lately, is it possible that the MSM is actually not consciously trying to smear Dr. Paul, but just amazingly ignorant and stupid? I mean, if you read some of the comments on the Ron Paul articles that are posted around the internet, it's clear that some people really are just flat out ignorant. Dr. Paul's positions actually require thinking, and maybe the media just isn't used to having to do that kind of cognitive work to produce their commentaries. Even if there is some concerted effort to smear him, I think laziness and stupidity can play just as big of a role.

It's like this country is dying of ignorance.

SteveMartin
12-23-2007, 08:30 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=62563

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/487443841

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 08:30 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=64279

I like this and I have a blog already. I will address my questions in that thread.

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 08:33 PM
YES, we can.

We need to organize groups to follow the media vans everywhere so we can always stand behind the cameras.

We can also send some people to fox & friends in the morning to go stand on the street cause they look out on the street.

I love this and think we need to do much more of it. Maybe we can even create more opportunities some how. We should brain storm on this.

Nathan Hale
12-23-2007, 08:36 PM
We all know that the media is not interested in giving fair coverage to Ron Paul. While we can bitch and moan about it the bottom line is that does no good. I ask because just whining about the MSM is a waste of time and is a distraction that does not get Ron Paul more votes.

The MSM gives Ron Paul plenty of coverage. If he wants more coverage, he should do things that the MSM is likely to report on.

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=62563

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/487443841

A fair poll and petition would be nice but run the risk that they simply would not be reported. The MSM can chose to ignore any poll or petition we produce.

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 08:42 PM
The MSM gives Ron Paul plenty of coverage. If he wants more coverage, he should do things that the MSM is likely to report on.

My question is not about how much coverage Ron Paul gets. I just want productive ideas that we can do. Treads and posts that just complain are useless to us.

Hook
12-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Overpower their Sat transponders:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=58237&referrerid=1959

:D

fj45lvr
12-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Just consider ourselves on par with those of the former soviet union (although we have guns and ammo to do something about things)....you can either ESCAPE and go somewhere else, wait for the "system to collapse" or join the "resistance".

I'd say we need the "resistance" to get moving along and FORCE the changes instead of just bending over and taking it like the country has for nearly a century. As Jefferson stated in a letter a long time ago concerning another country "I know that there are combustible materials there, and that they wait the torch only."

We await the torch only who will bring it and set it to the materials to burn??

what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms. the remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. what signify a few lives lost in a century or two? the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Overpower their Sat transponders:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=58237&referrerid=1959

:D

While I have a military background in Satellite communications, I don't see this as being viable.

Mahkato
12-23-2007, 08:52 PM
guerrilla campaigning.

make 1000x stickers that say "THE IRS" and slap one on every stop sign in your area.

make 1000x stickers that say "IRAQ" and slap one on every exit ramp sign on your local freeways

Please don't vandalize public property. I pay taxes for those signs.

Alex Libman
12-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Unsubscribe from cable / satellite television, subscription radio, and MSM publications, use the Internet for everything, pirate shamelessly, and donate the money you save to a libertarian cause!

Paulitician
12-23-2007, 08:53 PM
I think being "at war with the media" is the worst thing we could do. It's like being at war with terrorism or ciminality... the approach actually worsens the situation more than it helps. I hate the MSM but at least I don't go bombarding them with e-mails that bash them. Seriously, when you guys do this, and when you guys do this to blogs even, it's no wonder outsiders consider RP supporters kooks and annoying. What we could do is encourage acceptable articles, and ignore total hitpieces [or correct them if you must, but that doesn't take more than a half a dozen POLITE comments or e-mails.]

We should try to work with them, as unfair, dishonest and corrupt as they are.

IntruderII
12-23-2007, 09:14 PM

I would totally stand behind the Fox & Friends windows if I lived in New York. It would be so fun :D

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I think being "at war with the media" is the worst thing we could do. It's like being at war with terrorism or ciminality... the approach actually worsens the situation more than it helps. I hate the MSM but at least I don't go bombarding them with e-mails that bash them. Seriously, when you guys do this, and when you guys do this to blogs even, it's no wonder outsiders consider RP supporters kooks and annoying. What we could do is encourage acceptable articles, and ignore total hitpieces [or correct them if you must, but that doesn't take more than a half a dozen POLITE comments or e-mails.]

We should try to work with them, as unfair, dishonest and corrupt as they are.

I have not seen a suggestion of a war on media and I agree that would not be productive. I am simply looking to change our focus from complaining to creating solutions.

Vendico
12-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Please don't vandalize public property. I pay taxes for those signs.

I think your 'taxes' can live with it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173

Ruby Justice
12-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Yes there is something you can do...and everyone serious about this revolution should do:

UNPLUG AND STOP LISTENING TO THE MSM until they find themselves with no audience and f****g relearn journalism

Whatever happened to the "Mass Cable Cancellation Bomb" idea?

thumbto
12-23-2007, 09:33 PM
This is my asymmetrical approach to concentrate on pushing a collection of 30 documentaries through to the mainstream:

Attack of the Big Media Monster (http://milliondollarcinema.com)

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Good solutions offered so far:
Everyone create a blog.
Get into the background of live TV broadcasts.
Fund a good poll and do our best to get it reported.
Create petitions and do our best to get them reported.

pikerz
12-23-2007, 09:35 PM
get off your couch and go knock on doors.

this election will be won by people who dont even pay attention to the political media!

spread Ron Paul's tax message! everyone likes to keep their money!

me3
12-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Is there really anything that can be done to counter the MSM?

Yes. Register everyone you know Republican, and bring them all to the caucuses and primaries to vote for Ron Paul.

The MSM thing has been going on forever. We're 10 days from Iowa, our only focus needs to be on getting voters ready now. No amount of press is going to change anything until after Iowa and New Hampshire.

Don't overlook that we have to perform very well on Super Tuesday to be in this to win it.

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes there is something you can do...and everyone serious about this revolution should do:

UNPLUG AND STOP LISTENING TO THE MSM until they find themselves with no audience and f****g relearn journalism

Whatever happened to the "Mass Cable Cancellation Bomb" idea?

I have cancelled my newspaper and that is something more and more Americans are doing daily. Newspapers are dying.

Cancelling cable or satelite is more of a problem and not very realistic because cable carries so much more than news. I must have my Sunday Ticket for football but I do not need the news channels. Cancelling specific channels is probably not realistic and would be a long term goal.

Ruby Justice
12-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I have cancelled my newspaper and that is something more and more Americans are doing daily. Newspapers are dying.

Cancelling cable or satelite is more of a problem and not very realistic because cable carries so much more than news. I must have my Sunday Ticket for football but I do not need the news channels. Cancelling specific channels is probably not realistic and would be a long term goal.

You can find it all on youtube. Most stations I care about air on the internet (C-span) IT's very easy to live without cable. In fact, IT ENRICHES YOUR LIFE beyond your expectation.

Ruby Justice
12-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Just look at this shit from CNN's "Political Ticker", (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/category/ron-paul/) and see how badly we need to UNPLUG, and write them in masses of our disgust.

December 23, 2007
GOP contender will not rule out third-party run

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Rep. Ron Paul refused to rule out a third party bid Sunday if he fails to win the Republican Party presidential nomination.

When Tim Russert of NBC’s 'Meet the Press' asked the Texas congressman if he’d consider an independent bid, he replied: "I have no intention of doing that."

When pressed by Russert to state unequivocally that he would not, Paul demurred. "I deserve one weasel wiggle now and then, Tim!"

Paul lost to Phil Gramm in the 1984 Texas Republican primary for the U.S. Senate. Four years later, he ran for president as the Libertarian Party nominee.

The Republican presidential contender — who has an intensely loyal national following — is pulling in record fundraising sums, prompting speculation that he may continue his White House bid even if he does not fare well among Republican primary voters.

Paul is currently averaging single-digit showings in most recent surveys of GOP voters nationally and in early-voting states.

During the Sunday interview, Paul criticized the Civil Rights Act, pointing out that Barry Goldwater opposed it. But he would not say he whether would vote against the legislation today. "I get more support from black people than any other Republican candidate, according to some statistics," he added.

Paul also contended that the Civil War had been unnecessary because the United States would have gotten rid of slavery eventually.
–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

dircha
12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Our targeted radio, television, and grassroots advertising don't just counter the media, they bypass it, and take our message right to the people in their homes.

We don't need the consent or approval of the media. I don't know why Paul even went on Meet the Press. He didn't need to. He could win this nomination without ever giving more than an occasional interview from the campaign trail.

Money IS speech, and we can raise enough of it to go right past the media.

michaelwise
12-23-2007, 10:15 PM
If we only had a site called "I'm a Ron Paul Republican" and get everyone you know to register their name there. They would only have to go there once and register their support for Ron Paul. This would show the mainstream media the kinds of numbers they are dealing with, and maybe it could be used in a way we could target some decisive action toward a specific media goal we want to achieve.

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 10:52 PM
If we only had a site called "I'm a Ron Paul Republican" and get everyone you know to register their name there. They would only have to go there once and register their support for Ron Paul. This would show the mainstream media the kinds of numbers they are dealing with, and maybe it could be used in a way we could target some decisive action toward a specific media goal we want to achieve.

I believe this is already being done under some name. Someone created a petition or registry but I don't remember where. I did sign up myself. The hurdle then would be to get MSM to acknowledge it. That may be the tough part.

Cleaner44
12-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Just look at this shit from CNN's "Political Ticker", (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/category/ron-paul/) and see how badly we need to UNPLUG, and write them in masses of our disgust.

The best way to hurt the MSM is to drive down their audience. Audience size = revenues. I suggest not watching them live and wait for the YouTube peices for things like Meet The Press. MSM is all about the advertisers.

me3
12-23-2007, 11:03 PM
The best way to hurt the MSM is to drive down their audience. Audience size = revenues. I suggest not watching them live and wait for the YouTube peices for things like Meet The Press. MSM is all about the advertisers.
But how does that help us win Iowa in 10 days?

Don't get distracted. Stay focused on the mission. The MSM is irrelevant to our voter efforts.

michaelwise
12-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I believe this is already being done under some name. Someone created a petition or registry but I don't remember where. I did sign up myself. The hurdle then would be to get MSM to acknowledge it. That may be the tough part.That was a pledge to vote for Ron Paul Petition. I'm talking about a site that anybody could register at. Young or old. No need to own a computer. Something like the do not call list.

hankpyro
12-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Is there really anything that can be done to counter the MSM?

When Glen Beck was being just plain nasty and hostile to Dr. Paul I signed an Internet petition that I was told was being forwarded to his sponsors. I saw the Dr. Paul interview and I thought that it was tough but fair. That's all we can ask for. I hope to write the sponsors and Beck's show and thank them for the opportunity for Dr. Paul to present his ideas in a civil forum.

Beyond that there is the Internet, of course. In some ways this election is as much about Youtube vs. the old media as anything else.

ronpaulitician
12-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Vote.
Talk to people.
Be an embassador of liberty.

Montana Patriot
12-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Idea... they only understand money. If everyone here would do the following. lets pick a day and a network NBC,CBS,FOX..... we all agree on that day/and network and send a simple letter.

sample

My name is _______ and I support Ron Paul and will vote for him in the primary and general elections. I have enclosed 1.00 to hear some Fair,Honest,unbiased coverage on his campaign and information on where he stands on important issues.

put the letter and 1.00 in the envelope and snail mail it to them.

1 sheet of paper and 1 envelope .75
1 stamp .44
1 worthless FRN 1.00
flooding their mail room and letting them know we are not just on the internet Priceless:D

Nathan Hale
12-24-2007, 07:53 PM
My question is not about how much coverage Ron Paul gets. I just want productive ideas that we can do. Treads and posts that just complain are useless to us.

You said that the media is not being fair. I'm countering that they are.

LibertiORDeth
12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Operation: Free Speech, which is starting Liberty News Network.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61564

Nathan Hale
12-24-2007, 07:56 PM
I'd say we need the "resistance" to get moving along and FORCE the changes instead of just bending over and taking it like the country has for nearly a century. As Jefferson stated in a letter a long time ago concerning another country "I know that there are combustible materials there, and that they wait the torch only."

We await the torch only who will bring it and set it to the materials to burn??

Please, we don't need a revolution. Ron Paul has taught us the right message. Now we just need a better candidate. One with executive experience. One who is younger. One who is less radical. The best candidate in the world with both the message and the qualifications to make him a front runner is former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson. He's young and charismatic (but not fake), he's libertarian, and he approaches things from an incremental, moderate perspective. Ron Paul brought us together, and that was just awesome, now let's get Governor Johnson to bring us to victory in 2012.

pacelli
12-24-2007, 07:59 PM

Unplug from the internet?

fuzzybekool
12-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I have read all your posts and there are many great ideas here. But, if I may indulge you all for a minute or two. The reason the MSM is aggressively distorting the views and positions of Dr. Ron Paul is this. Because they can.

I firmly believe that this small group of facist owners who now control the means of information is in a war for their very existence. We are their enemy. An informed citizen is bad enough, but when compounded by the millions, an army of informed citizens is a threat and neutralization of the messenger is the agenda before them, and thus the campaign of smear and lies.

Please don't be astonished or surprised. I am not a 9-11 truther, liberterian, anarchist, atheist, or a pot smoker. What I am is an American awakened to the mechanisms of deciet and lies that the "system" uses to control our perceptions to the world around us.

So. What can we do ? I really don't think that we, as a movement, are angry enough to do anything substanial yet. But the time is coming soon when we as a movement will need to question our tactic of passive indifference to MSM disinformation. I feel it and so do people I talk to. The first thing people ask me when I introduce them to Ron Paul and his message is, "Why is the media not letting us hear this? He makes a lot of sense."

Yes, Ron Paul makes alot of sense and that is exactly why the MSM is attempting to amputate the message. You all need to begin to accept the notion that spreading lies, misinformation, and vile slander is not only a tactic the MSM will use, but they will do it because they can.

Ladies and gentlemen. The first thing any unjust power does to control and subjugate the citizenry is control the press and all means of information. We have been in this stage for the last 20 years I would submit to you. The next thing any unjust power does is dumb down the people to make any transition of future plans easier. And then, of course, viciously defend the status quo, and discredit any one who seeks to awaken the eyes of a sleepy, apathetic population, enslaved and indebted to those who hold power.

If the MSM attack machine continues, we will need to look oursleves in the mirror and make a choice. The choice will be this. Do we work hard knocking on doors, sign waving, utilizing the still free internet to our advantage, and doing the things we been doing. Or, do we add a new tactic to our arsenal of truth after we sense that even after all our hard work, the MSM is successfully tightening the noose around this candidate and our revolution ?

Ponder it is all I ask. There may be a time very soon, where in order to save our country, we will need to place boots on the ground in the form of large scale marches or demonstrations around the headquarters of the MSM. Thank you for your time.

Nathan Hale
12-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I firmly believe that this small group of facist owners who now control the means of information is in a war for their very existence. We are their enemy. An informed citizen is bad enough, but when compounded by the millions, an army of informed citizens is a threat and neutralization of the messenger is the agenda before them, and thus the campaign of smear and lies.

And you want us to take this all on faith?

Please don't be astonished or surprised. I am not a 9-11 truther, liberterian, anarchist, atheist, or a pot smoker. What I am is an American awakened to the mechanisms of deciet and lies that the "system" uses to control our perceptions to the world around us.

You might not be a 9-11 truther, but your theory is about on par with those of the 9-11 truther crowd.

Yes, Ron Paul makes alot of sense and that is exactly why the MSM is attempting to amputate the message. You all need to begin to accept the notion that spreading lies, misinformation, and vile slander is not only a tactic the MSM will use, but they will do it because they can.

But it's not such an easy thing to take on faith. Perhaps if you had some evidence of this, but you're not presenting anything to us. Why should we believe you?

Ponder it is all I ask. There may be a time very soon, where in order to save our country, we will need to place boots on the ground in the form of large scale marches or demonstrations around the headquarters of the MSM. Thank you for your time.

Your line about "the headquarters of the MSM" is part of what makes your theory far from credible. There is no "headquarters" where 7 evil men sit around a smokey back room and cackle maniacally with their finger on the button. There are more than half a dozen major media companies in the media, with dozens of secondary players, and each business entity has a different agenda. Where is this evil media unity?

Original_Intent
12-26-2007, 12:14 PM
http://www.ronpaulreveres.com/

DVDs to help with canvassing for 25 cents each, also available by torrent and viewable online as well.

hazek
12-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Buy the MSM, set your own agenda.

Mark Rushmore
12-26-2007, 12:52 PM
There is no "headquarters" where 7 evil men sit around a smokey back room and cackle maniacally with their finger on the button. There are more than half a dozen major media companies in the media, with dozens of secondary players, and each business entity has a different agenda. Where is this evil media unity?

There are some really large back rooms.

Nathan Hale
12-27-2007, 07:26 PM
There are some really large back rooms.

Apparently....

RonPaulMania
12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Here's how you counter the MSM... you vote and the best way to do it is here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=66305

hankpyro
12-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Idea... they only understand money. If everyone here would do the following. lets pick a day and a network NBC,CBS,FOX..... we all agree on that day/and network and send a simple letter.

sample

My name is _______ and I support Ron Paul and will vote for him in the primary and general elections. I have enclosed 1.00 to hear some Fair,Honest,unbiased coverage on his campaign and information on where he stands on important issues.

put the letter and 1.00 in the envelope and snail mail it to them.

1 sheet of paper and 1 envelope .75
1 stamp .44
1 worthless FRN 1.00
flooding their mail room and letting them know we are not just on the internet Priceless:D

This sounds like a great idea. Could be a nice pay day for some mailroom clerks. But it will get publicity.

fj45lvr
12-31-2007, 12:11 AM
in a national campaign the MSM is like the "INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE".....

Ask yourself can you do without the internal combustion engine??

It's a numbers game and I'd be willing to bet that a majority of Paul supporters tuned into Paul because of seeing him on TV (I did).

Just watch the video of David Rockefeller thanking the MSM for their part in the GLOBALIST agenda and that should answer the question.

I believe the MSM will become something different in the future but its structure will stay intact and the only way to counter it will be either having a product that equal or superior to it or to physically overpower and demolish it. One will take some time and money the other will be almost instantaneous and involve what Jefferson stated is the manure of the "tree of liberty": Blood of tyrants and patriots.

Cardinal Red
12-31-2007, 12:16 AM
If we finish in the Top 3 in Iowa, the MSM will not ignore us. They may still express skepticism, but we will get more coverage. So do your calldowns and do everything you can to help get out the vote