PDA

View Full Version : Who for VP?

fedup100
05-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I believe Ron Paul needs someone for V.P. that is well known, and he has a shot at that with his surge. The last thing he needs now is Ross Perot type of unknown.

Someone that would blow the tops of the mainstream medias minds when it is announced because they have accepted him and respect him.

Someone that can be elected and continue Ron Paul's policies.

Someone that would push Ron Paul immediately into the lime light.

I think Pat Buchanan is that man....Lou Dobbs a second choice.

winston_blade
05-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I believe Ron Paul needs someone for V.P. that is well known, and he has a shot at that with his surge. The last thing he needs now is Ross Perot type of unknown.

Someone that would blow the tops of the mainstream medias minds when it is announced because they have accepted him and respect him.

Someone that can be elected and continue Ron Paul's policies.

Someone that would push Ron Paul immediately into the lime light.

I think Pat Buchanan is that man....Lou Dobbs a second choice.

Honestly I love the Pat Buchanan VP idea, but I don't really care for Lou Dobbs. He seems mega liberal when it comes to the economy.

Therion
05-20-2007, 11:25 AM
It's a little early to decide on VP- don't they usually wait until primaries are over? But anyway, the obvious first choice of VP is...

Me.

JBKing
05-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Aaron Russo

winston_blade
05-20-2007, 11:30 AM
We know that he could get Oprah.

Bruehound
05-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Former Republican Governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-20-2007, 11:31 AM
PJBuchanan would be okay. Clint Eastwood would be a dream. Walter Williams. That CIA guy RP has been bringing up.

Suzu
05-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Buchanan would be good, but I don't think Russo's going to be with us much longer.

tnvoter
05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Fred Thompson, or Tancredo

mdh
05-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Steve Forbes. Well known and respected Republican, positively brilliant business man, and never afraid to speak the truth. He's said stuff that has positively floored Fox News correspondents who were speaking with him, such as admitting in public the amount of power that the Federal Reserve holds - a big no no in business-as-usual politics. I think he's ballsy. He's also got big appeal for the Christian conservative base, and huge appeal for capitalists of all shapes and sizes. He brings more experience in finance/business/etc to the table, too, which some folks in the business world may question of a career doctor.

atomicpunk
05-20-2007, 12:01 PM
While I agree with a lot of what Pat has to say, he is a VERY polarizing candidate and I think would seriously detract from any cross-over voting from Democrats.

I like both Walter Williams and Alan Keyes - a Libertarian and a Libertarian Republican.

mdh
05-20-2007, 12:07 PM
There're a bunch of good folks in the Libertarian Party, but I think strategically, a Republican running-mate makes more sense. Fred Thompson could be cool, too. Thompson's likeable, and a genuinely good actor - lots of folks like him on Law and Order. Tancredo maybe, I don't know enough about him, but that he and Paul are the only candidates at all concerned with border security. Keyes, I don't really care for because of the whole thing with his daughter. You may not *like* your daughter becoming a lesbian communist - who would? - but you don't kick her entirely out of your life and turn your back on her for it. I just don't see that as good morals.

fedup100
05-20-2007, 12:09 PM
I think Fred Thompson has a real problem......skeletons in his many closets. I truly believe that is why he has not announced.

Mr Thompson sounds real southern and conservative, but in reality, he is not a conservative. Be careful who you support.

Being in Hollywood for so many years, this man has a past that will not put him in a glowing light, thank GOD.

Scribbler de Stebbing
05-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Tancredo supported an anti-flag burning amendment. That raises a big question with me.

Steve Forbes I like and supported in 2000, but I heard he was supporting the fascist former mayor (which I find strange -- Forbes must be another client along with Saudi Arabia and FoxNews).

mdh
05-20-2007, 12:26 PM
If that's the case, maybe we could lobby with Forbes to join our team? In everything I've seen and read about him, I've never thought him to be unreasonable, and Giuliani just seems more and more like a loser with every passing article I read. :(

As stupid as it seems when given a rational lookings-over, the flag-burning amendment thing is an amendment to the constitution (which is allowed by the constitution, and hence not patently an unconstitutional act), and a very emotional topic for a lot of people. Politicians all play to emotions, just as Ron Paul is playing to the fact that we're mad as hell and not going to take it anymore with the way our government is headed. I certainly don't support such a frivolous amendment myself, but I'm much more forgiving of someone who does than someone who supports patently unconstitutional actions.

Buggan
05-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I think Penn from Penn and Teller would be an awsome choice (seriously!). I assume you have seen Bullshit on Showtime, great show! Penn is also a libertarian, a really popular guy who speaks the truth.

And it would be really cool with a bit of magic during the presidential race;)

mdh
05-20-2007, 12:46 PM
That could be interesting. The guys from SouthPark are known libertarians, too. Dunno if any of them actually want to work in politics though. VP is a full-time job, if you're not half-assing it the way that most politicians do. (Members of congress aren't at all required to do anything it seems. In fact, many of them regularly skip votes, and really do as little work as possible without being called out on it, as far as I can tell!)

RedStripe
05-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Sorry but Lou Dobbs is a sensationalist fear-mongerer.

Suzu
05-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Clint Eastwood is the most exciting name to come up so far. Is there any downside to him?

winston_blade
05-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Clint Eastwood is the most exciting name to come up so far. Is there any downside to him?

No, beside the fact that he wouldn't do it.

mdh
05-20-2007, 01:07 PM

The fact that he probably doesn't want to make a full-time job of politics. :)

qednick
05-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Clint Eastwood, yup Clint Eastwood. But why would'nt he do it? Thought he was into politics.

Delivered4000
05-20-2007, 01:27 PM
He's such a badass

Delivered4000
05-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Christopher Walken lol

Phil M
05-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Am I the only one here who likes Chuck Hagel? I think of him sort of as Paul-lite. Nominally anti-war, nominally pro civil liberties, and pretty damn fiscally conservative.

Phil M
05-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I just thought of South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford, who is pretty good on domestic matters (not sure about his foreign policy views) and Arizona Congressman Jeff Flake, who I think will take over being the House's token libertarian when Paul retires (or moves into the White House).

qednick
05-20-2007, 01:44 PM
He's such a badass

Badass? Only when he pulls out the 44 magnum. :eek:

Suzu
05-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Somehow I doubt that a guy with a name like "Flake" would work.

I hadn't thought of Walken. Might be worth considering. Does he have *any* political experience?

surf
05-20-2007, 02:32 PM
he's cool

TheDuke
05-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Arnold Schwartzenegger

angelatc
05-20-2007, 02:37 PM
JC Watts

angelatc
05-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I think Fred Thompson has a real problem......skeletons in his many closets. I truly believe that is why he has not announced.

Mr Thompson sounds real southern and conservative, but in reality, he is not a conservative. Be careful who you support.

Being in Hollywood for so many years, this man has a past that will not put him in a glowing light, thank GOD.

Actually, Fred's a New York actor.

I totally changed my opinion on him when he berated Michael Moore for violating the Cuba trade embargo with a Cuban cigar hanging out of his mouth.

Exponent
05-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I hadn't thought of Walken. Might be worth considering. Does he have *any* political experience?
It's more or less a joke. Someone a while back made a humor site designed as an official campaign site for Walken. www.walken2008.com (http://www.walken2008.com/)

Suzu
05-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Arnold Schwartzenegger

NO FRICKIN WAY!

qedtanya
05-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Arnie can't be - he's not a naturalized citizen.

If we're going with a strictly republican ticket, then yeah maybe Eastwood if he'd consider it.

CurtisLow
05-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Arnold Schwartzenegger

You must be joking... You think this country is bad under bush. We would all be screwed under him. Do your research !!! Arnold is a Nazi

http://www.arnoldexposed.com/

Original_Intent
05-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Alan Keyes

CurtisLow
05-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Question?

Has there ever been a Republican president with a democrat vice president or the other way around?

thuja
05-20-2007, 05:15 PM
you must be thinking of mike gravel.

lbrtylvr
05-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Hagel (R)
Gov. Richardson (D)
Sen. Webb (R)
Gov. Schewister (sp?) of Montana (D)
Sen. Dorgan (D)
Rep. Flake (R)
Colin Powell

Phil M
05-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Question?

Has there ever been a Republican president with a democrat vice president or the other way around?

Lincoln and Andrew Johnson in 1864.

Original_Intent
05-20-2007, 05:50 PM
you must be thinking of mike gravel.

I was interested in gravel when I heard so many positive posts in RP circles.

I went and listened to his youtube info and his idea of a national iniative to turn us into "citizen legislators" is terrible and very against the constitution. There is no way RP would go that route.

This is not a dig at Mike Gravel or his supporters. He seems like a great guy and very sincere. I just cannot imagine RP considering him as a VP choice.

romelll
05-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Walter Williams, Colin Powell

Minuteman2008
05-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Pat Buchanan's not going to run again, as much as I wish it were true. He'll almost surely pick another candidate with similar views.

Out of the current crop, the candidate whose views are most similar to Paul's is Tom Tancredo. Tancredo is also part of Paul's Liberty Caucus (and Paul is part of Tancredo's Immigration Reform Caucus).

With Bush and the Democrats now touting Comprehensive Immigration Reform as the Final Solution to traditional America, immigration is now the most important domestic issue for Republicans (and probably a lot of Democrats too). Only Tancredo has a record as being equally strong on this issue as Paul. This is a MAJOR weakness for Giuliani and McCain, and it would be in Ron Paul's best interest to start talking about his own strengths in this area.

The new immigration bill just introduced is going to be Bush's domestic version of Iraq, and McCain was one of the authors of that bill. McCain has pretty much ended any chance he had of getting the nomination by voting to surrender our sovereignty to foreign nationals.

This is a winning issue for Paul among Republicans and with the American people as a whole.

The only other possiblity may be Duncan Hunter who is also very conservative, with a great record on immigration. But all of the other candidates are weak in this area.