PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION: The Ron Paul Blimp Needs Your Suggestions! (and your money and your friend

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:06 PM
We need suggestions for ways to increase donations to the blimp. Anything you think of, please throw it out there. Also, join the blimp's Facebook group at http://facebook.com/group.php?gid=9084636647 and add the blimp as a friend on MySpace at http://myspace.com/theronpaulblimp and invite all of your friends to do the same! Also, if you feel driven to do so, donate to the blimp at http://RonPaulBlimp.com/ :D

Ron2Win
12-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Daily video cast of what is going on, especially with ppls reaction.

At the end ask for the money.

ronpaulfan
12-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Ask Trevor to spend 2-3 hours writing a heartfelt email about how he loves Dr. Paul and this campaign and how everyone worked so hard but the weather was a problem. Ask him to put a small apology for not delivering as much as expected so far for the blimp. Also mention how communication has improved and how you expect returns from blimp investments to improve greatly.

Then after making the letter perfect, send it out to the TeaParty mailing list and ask people to help keep the blimp in the air.

A lot of people were unhappy with the blimp, that is why donations flatlined. Improve communication and reach out to the people who feel alienated, and you will have enough money to fly.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Daily video cast of what is going on, especially with ppls reaction.

At the end ask for the money.

I like it!

homah
12-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Be direct in answering questions such as why all references to the company were taken off the website. Show a more concerted effort in contacting media well in advance of a flyover. Produce more videos updating everyone about the status of the project (where the blimp is now, where it's headed, why it's grounded, why plans have been changed, and so on).

Focus Liberty
12-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Ask Trevor to spend 2-3 hours writing a heartfelt email about how he loves Dr. Paul and this campaign and how everyone worked so hard but the weather was a problem. Ask him to put a small apology for not delivering as much as expected so far for the blimp. Also mention how communication has improved and how you expect returns from blimp investments to improve greatly.

Then after making the letter perfect, send it out to the TeaParty mailing list and ask people to help keep the blimp in the air.

A lot of people were unhappy with the blimp, that is why donations flatlined. Improve communication and reach out to the people who feel alienated, and you will have enough money to fly.

I've been suggesting same idea on youtube videos so I am glad to see this idea here. I think it would be nice to have Trevor's leadership on this. I trust when I add my name to his project that is going to fly. We need a single PR face...his.

dircha
12-23-2007, 01:21 PM
This is a business. You should be releasing statements, reports, and newsletters describing what you have accomplished in terms of recognition with the money that has already been invested, and make the case why people should continue to invest in it.

Also, like others have said, with so many people on staff, it should not be a problem to delivery a daily written and video update, showing a recap of the Blimp's activities for the day, reactions on the ground, and in the press.

This is something I think people should be able to expect as part of their investment.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:22 PM

I like that, too!
JOOC, why were a lot of people unhappy with the blimp? Because it didn't make it to the Tea Party?

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:24 PM
This is a business. You should be releasing statements, reports, and newsletters describing what you have accomplished in terms of recognition with the money that has already been invested, and make the case why people should continue to invest in it.

Also, like others have said, with so many people on staff, it should not be a problem to delivery a daily written and video update, showing a recap of the Blimp's activities for the day, reactions on the ground, and in the press.

This is something I think people should be able to expect as part of their investment.

Good point!

T206
12-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Kind of off topic, but not really...

Ive heard that XM wanted to get a ride on the blimp and to boradcast from it. Is there a way to get RonPaulRadio.com a 1/2 segment or something on the POTUS station that XM has? It might not directly increase donations on day one, but a partnership like that would really increase the visibility of the blimp, and possibly increase donation.s

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Be direct in answering questions such as why all references to the company were taken off the website. Show a more concerted effort in contacting media well in advance of a flyover. Produce more videos updating everyone about the status of the project (where the blimp is now, where it's headed, why it's grounded, why plans have been changed, and so on).

I know what you mean. I didn't know in advance either of the two times the blimp flew over my area so I missed it, although apparently everyone else in friggin Hampton Roads saw it except me lol. I had to see it on the local news. :p

ronpaulfan
12-23-2007, 01:29 PM
I like that, too!
JOOC, why were a lot of people unhappy with the blimp? Because it didn't make it to the Tea Party?

The amount of money needed was increased by $100,000. It's first flight only had 1 banner. The initial communication was very bad (much improved the last week).

The basic problem was supporters loved the blimp too much and we weren't getting immediate or convincing response from the team as to why it wasn't delivering everything promised. Because of the poor communication to the grassroots, many people misinterpreted low communication with dishonesty (which thanks to the daily blog and video updates, I can tell wasn't the problem).

Also the lady assigned to communicate with the grassroots rubbed many the wrong way.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:35 PM
The amount of money needed was increased by $100,000. It's first flight only had 1 banner. The initial communication was very bad (much improved the last week).

The basic problem was supporters loved the blimp too much and we weren't getting immediate or convincing response from the team as to why it wasn't delivering everything promised. Because of the poor communication to the grassroots, many people misinterpreted low communication with dishonesty (which thanks to the daily blog and video updates, I can tell wasn't the problem).

Also the lady assigned to communicate with the grassroots rubbed many the wrong way.

I see. Thanks for the info.

FreeTraveler
12-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Most Important: Get your Customers engaged in the project via the website, and they'll be back EVERY DAY to see what's going on. Guess what, if they show up on a regular basis, they're going to see that donation box on a regular basis, and have a reason to keep donating!

Lots of good points have already been posted. Here are some of my big ones.

1) I started to say clean up the website, but it looks like that's recently been taken care of. It was bleeding out of margins for a while and looked terrible.

2) RELIGIOUSLY update the Blog on a regular basis, and get more than one person writing there. Best would be for everyone on the team to make an entry every day. You're making history with this approach to political advertising, and history should be recorded in detail.

If necessary, have your Videographer FORCE each team member to sit down for 5 minutes each day and tell what they did, and make a video blog entry from the results. DOCUMENT THIS, IT'S HISTORY!
(See the writings of the Founding Fathers, for example) :D

3) Add a VIDEO blog entry at least once a day. This should be a pointer to a YouTube released each day. See #2 above.

4) Get the "Sightings" page reorganized, and include links to videos and pictures from anyone who has content.

5) Make it EASY for anyone to submit links for their own content to go on the "Sightings" page, and to the "In The News" page for stories they've found online. (Also see #6)

6) Get a real "In The News" page going instead of a link to a Google Search.

pacelli
12-23-2007, 01:37 PM
We need suggestions for ways to increase donations to the blimp. Anything you think of, please throw it out there.

Start by answering all of the questions in the Blimp's Q&A forum located here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=221

Also, I was under the impression that the for-profit company (ronpaulblimp.com? Liberty Political Advertising?) wasn't collecting donations, but rather offering air time in exchange for payment.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Start by answering all of the questions in the Blimp's Q&A forum located here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=221

Also, I was under the impression that the for-profit company (ronpaulblimp.com? Liberty Political Advertising?) wasn't collecting donations, but rather offering air time in exchange for payment.

You are correct. But it's a lot easier for me to type "donations"

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Most Important: Get your Customers engaged in the project via the website, and they'll be back EVERY DAY to see what's going on. Guess what, if they show up on a regular basis, they're going to see that donation box on a regular basis, and have a reason to keep donating!

1) I started to say clean up the website, but it looks like that's recently been taken care of. It was bleeding out of margins for a while and looked terrible.

2) RELIGIOUSLY update the Blog on a regular basis, and get more than one person writing there. Best would be for everyone on the team to make an entry every day. You're making history with this approach to political advertising, and history should be recorded in detail.

If necessary, have your Videographer FORCE each team member to sit down for 5 minutes each day and tell what they did, and make a video blog entry from the results. DOCUMENT THIS, IT'S HISTORY!

3) Add a VIDEO blog entry at least once a day. This should be a pointer to a YouTube released each day. See #2 above.

4) Get the "Sightings" page reorganized, and include links to videos and pictures from anyone who has content.

5) Make it EASY for anyone to submit links for their own content to go on the "Sightings" page, and to the "In The News" page for stories they've found online. (Also see #6)

Brilliant!

yongrel
12-23-2007, 01:57 PM
[=ronpaulfan;704142]Then after making the letter perfect, send it out to the TeaParty mailing list and ask people to help keep the blimp in the air.

NO!

Do not touch or abuse the mailing list! The Tea Party is over, and if the mailing list hasn't been deleted already, it should be.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=ronpaulfan;704142]Then after making the letter perfect, send it out to the TeaParty mailing list and ask people to help keep the blimp in the air.QUOTE]

NO!

Do not touch or abuse the mailing list! The Tea Party is over, and if the mailing list hasn't been deleted already, it should be.

hmmm...good point.

ronpaulfan
12-23-2007, 02:04 PM

NO!

If all it takes is one email to save the blimp, I say DO IT

If it comes down to it, make a poll about it in here. I guarantee 80% or more will say yes.

RlxdN10sity
12-23-2007, 02:05 PM
I'd be a willing financial contributor if they would commit to a route that has more blimp friendly weather and is leading the charge into primary states that come after NH, such as SC. Our exposure in SC is minimal when compared to what is going on in NH and Iowa. Until that route is announced I will feel wise in holding back flight time purchases that could be made with my meager earnings, due to the fact that the current route is all but a complete waste of money and other valuable resources.

RlxdN10sity
12-23-2007, 02:06 PM
WooHOO! I am a senior member now. Awesome.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 02:08 PM
If all it takes is one email to save the blimp, I say DO IT

If it comes down to it, make a poll about it in here. I guarantee 80% or more will say yes.

Even better point!

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 02:09 PM

What does that mean, btw?

RlxdN10sity
12-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I guess it means I am better than all of you non-senior members. Ha, jk. Apparently it is just and indication of how many posts you have made on the forums.

Ron2Win
12-23-2007, 02:13 PM

This guys speaks the truth.

Birdlady
12-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Communicate-The website needs updated constantly in my opinion. Anytime there is a setback or a great moment, write it down. Tell us about it. We have no idea what's going on in the blimp.

Also when you scroll down to make a donation it still says, "As a next step, we need to receive $400,000 in total sponsorships by December 21st to keep the blimp in the air through the New Hampshire primaries."

If it's been extended then that needs to be deleted from the website entirely because every single page you click on, that is being seen by people. However, the "Blimp News" isn't listed on each page. So it looks like the blimp is grounded and we missed our deadline.

More photos-The site should be FULL of photos. I mean jammed pack. 25-30 photos a day. I think the blog format is actually hurting this aspect of the blimp. The entries are getting bumped out too quickly.

NerveShocker
12-23-2007, 02:35 PM
The people running the website need to take down this statement:

Quote:

As a next step, we need to receive $400,000 in total sponsorships by December 21st to keep the blimp in the air through the New Hampshire primaries.

That was days ago and needs to be updated..

Dave Pedersen
12-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Go south. Cruise the coastlines of South Carolina and Florida. Many local tv stations will love to report on the appearance of the blimp. Post all tv reports at your website.

Go south.

Oliver
12-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Blimp Forum

Man from La Mancha
12-23-2007, 02:50 PM
What about down by the keys of Florida, a Cuba fly over showing that Ron wants to talk and trade with people, with Cuba's permision of course. It would generate huge national PR, good and bad. But PR none the less and it can be denied by HQ.

francisco
12-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Run the following promotion:

For all new contributions of just $10 received between xx/xx and xx/xx, sponsors get one vote in a contest for the name of the blimp. Winning name is applied to nose of Blimp, just as is done with many airliners, and is used in news releases and other promotions.

There was a great deal of customer interest in naming the blimp a couple of weeks ago; popular suggestions included Freedom One, Air Force Ron, and Liberty One.

Running the contest would cost nothing, and small decals for the name would be very cheap. Providing real-time data on votes would encourage customers to visit the site often.

Corydoras
12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Some way to contribute that does not involve signing up with Google or sending a wire.
Is there really no place to mail a check to? This company does not seem to have a physical location!

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 04:58 PM
These are all really good ideas, guys. Thank you so much! Don't stop, though, if you have more! :)

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 06:20 PM
blimp

hillertexas
12-23-2007, 06:46 PM

congrats! :)

BeFranklin
12-23-2007, 06:51 PM
We need suggestions for ways to increase donations to the blimp. Anything you think of, please throw it out there. Also, join the blimp's Facebook group at http://facebook.com/group.php?gid=9084636647 and add the blimp as a friend on MySpace at http://myspace.com/theronpaulblimp and invite all of your friends to do the same! Also, if you feel driven to do so, donate to the blimp at http://RonPaulBlimp.com/ :D

Be nice to past supporters?

traviskicks
12-23-2007, 06:59 PM
I think the information about the company should be transparent and more youtubes, more updates, better website, a better schedule, taking ideas on where it should go. This blimp should be at major outdoor events whenever it can, especially in NH. And hitting the major cities and freeways as it travels.

I think the team is doing pretty well and I appreciate their work.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Be nice to past supporters?

Can you explain?

Mahkato
12-23-2007, 07:36 PM
People give generously to causes when it can be demonstrated that the cause is producing results. They gave initially because they liked the idea and thought it had potential. No one will give any more money unless they feel that their money is producing results. For example, if I own a restaurant and I advertise on my local TV station and my sales stay flat, I will not invest in further TV advertising. If my sales skyrocket, I will continue to buy more airtime from the station. Liberty Political Advertising needs to convince its clients that money spent with them earns a better return than money spent elsewhere. LPA's #1 job is to keep the blimp in the air. LPA's #2 job is to keep its clients as informed as possible, and tell them over and over and over how their investment is paying off.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 07:45 PM
People give generously to causes when it can be demonstrated that the cause is producing results. They gave initially because they liked the idea and thought it had potential. No one will give any more money unless they feel that their money is producing results. For example, if I own a restaurant and I advertise on my local TV station and my sales stay flat, I will not invest in further TV advertising. If my sales skyrocket, I will continue to buy more airtime from the station. Liberty Political Advertising needs to convince its clients that money spent with them earns a better return than money spent elsewhere. LPA's #1 job is to keep the blimp in the air. LPA's #2 job is to keep its clients as informed as possible, and tell them over and over and over how their investment is paying off.

Well if the blimp is getting loads of media attention and everyone in the cities it is flying over is seeing or hearing about it, isn't this exactly the return on investment people had banked on?

szczebrzeszyn
12-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Answer legal questions asked in numerous threads. For now, we don't know who you are (in legal terms) after you made some background changes and it seems you have no intention to tell us anything about it. Clear this up at last and more people will donate.

Edit: Sorry, more people will sponsor the ad, not donate.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Answer legal questions asked in numerous threads. For now, we don't know who you are (in legal terms) after you made some background changes and it seems you have no intention to tell us anything about it. Clear this up at last and more people will donate.

Edit: Sorry, more people will sponsor the ad, not donate.

Meh, I call it donating too. :p

Mahkato
12-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Well if the blimp is getting loads of media attention and everyone in the cities it is flying over is seeing or hearing about it, isn't this exactly the return on investment people had banked on?

In this case, since virtually none of the investors can actually see the product they're buying, you have to work overtime to let people know that their dollars are still working. The front page should have a map with the flight plan and the current location. Links to the most recent news reports and videos. Lists of the staff and what they're doing today. Organizing this whole thing was obviously a lot of work, but at first glance, people think, How hard could it be to slap a sign on a blimp and fire up the engines? and don't think about all the time and money that has to be poured into it to make it a reality. People always underestimate the difficulty of other peoples' jobs. You have to have a detailed history of the project. Answer as many questions as possible and make it VERY clear that you're not trying to pull a fast one. The more information you provide, the more purchases you will get.

szczebrzeszyn
12-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Meh, I call it donating too. :p
You see what I mean? You picked the irrelevant part of my post and addressed it and you simply ignored the rest, which was the most important. That's what I feel the blimp crew has been doing for the past week with hard questions. But of course, that's your project, that's you choice how to manage it. I would only appreciate, that instead of ignoring these questions, some of you would simply say, that you WON'T address any legal questions and you WON'T say why. I would just STFU then. Thanks.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 09:21 PM
In this case, since virtually none of the investors can actually see the product they're buying, you have to work overtime to let people know that their dollars are still working. The front page should have a map with the flight plan and the current location. Links to the most recent news reports and videos. Lists of the staff and what they're doing today. Organizing this whole thing was obviously a lot of work, but at first glance, people think, How hard could it be to slap a sign on a blimp and fire up the engines? and don't think about all the time and money that has to be poured into it to make it a reality. People always underestimate the difficulty of other peoples' jobs. You have to have a detailed history of the project. Answer as many questions as possible and make it VERY clear that you're not trying to pull a fast one. The more information you provide, the more purchases you will get.

I agree. This is a suggestion that has been voiced many times and needs to be implemented. I'll see what I can do to get them to go forward with this. (I never understood why the flight plan and gps tracker weren't on the main page...)

I'm just a volunteer who was asked to spice up the blimp's MySpace and Facebook pages, but I'll try to get it across to the blimp management that they need to seriously push for a change in their website. They need to keep people updated and informed and provide some visual feedback of what the blimp is accomplishing. Maybe they'll let me spice up the blimp's page, too :p
Still, it's going to take some work on their part to keep us updated if they want to keep getting contributions.

DanielDeibler
12-23-2007, 09:25 PM
You see what I mean? You picked the irrelevant part of my post and addressed it and you simply ignored the rest, which was the most important. That's what I feel the blimp crew has been doing for the past week with hard questions. But of course, that's your project, that's you choice how to manage it. I would only appreciate, that instead of ignoring these questions, some of you would simply say, that you WON'T address any legal questions and you WON'T say why. I would just STFU then. Thanks.

Hey, don't attack me. I don't know shit about the blimp.
I'm just a volunteer who's been trying to spice up the blimp's MySpace and Facebook pages. Thanks for biting my head off, though.

francisco
12-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Another idea previously mentioned by others is to each day sell or auction the flag that flies at the end of the Blimp.

Also: sell the documentary rights.

Give ground blimp tours for nominal fee.

szczebrzeszyn
12-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Hey, don't attack me. I don't know shit about the blimp.
I'm just a volunteer who's been trying to spice up the blimp's MySpace and Facebook pages. Thanks for biting my head off, though.
I'm sorry, I somehow thought you're from the blimp team (there's some Daniel too). My bad, good luck with your efforts.

piotr1
12-23-2007, 10:04 PM
have special edition buttons which would be mailed to people who make a contribution towards the blimp. Make different editions of the buttons depending on how much you donate.

Get Ron to sign the buttons for people who donate 1000 +

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-23-2007, 10:44 PM
nt

DanielDeibler
12-24-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm sorry, I somehow thought you're from the blimp team (there's some Daniel too). My bad, good luck with your efforts.

It's alright. I probably should have made that clear in the main post, lol

DanielDeibler
12-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Another idea previously mentioned by others is to each day sell or auction the flag that flies at the end of the Blimp.

Also: sell the documentary rights.

Give ground blimp tours for nominal fee.

I love it!

DanielDeibler
12-24-2007, 08:41 AM
have special edition buttons which would be mailed to people who make a contribution towards the blimp. Make different editions of the buttons depending on how much you donate.

Get Ron to sign the buttons for people who donate 1000 +

That would probably be hard to do, but I still like it!

DanielDeibler
12-24-2007, 09:38 AM
blimp

Austrian_guy
12-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I dare quote myself from the blimp-forum:

as mentioned in an earlier thread (concerning the successful reaching of the initial 200k), I think it is necessary to communicate a (the?) sense of urgency for donations on the main page. as noted then, this is not happening, the 400k message is tightly packed in small letters between the "second banner added" and the donation form, making it invisible if you don't scroll down. actually, I think the message about the extended donation-deadline (to when?) achieves the exact opposite of the desired effect (donations), because it is all but urgent...

imho the first thing to spring to eye on the page should be the need to donate in order to keep it in the air (a blimp-meter was suggested in the aforementioned thread). this doesn't need to take up much space, and right below should be the last entry of the blog, which seems to slowly catch fire. I hazard the guess that many more people visit ronpaulblimp.org than the blog, and now that the critisized lack of forthcoming information is being adressed, I think this should be made obvious to everyone, especially to people only casually clicking across the site.

edit: I found the thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=49754), and here (http://www.swfup.com/file/73411) is the closest thing to an outcome that emerged.

As many others noted, the communication needs improvement, and the improvements already made should be obvious with the lowest possible number of clicks (see above).

cheers