PDA

View Full Version : Harnessing the Internet...

moostraks
12-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Was reading a thought provoking comment someone made about how the campaigning began with an eye towards how the internet was going to be effective in changing the way we elect leaders. So a brief google search turned up this interesting blog from May 2007: http://blog.nj.com/jerseyblogs/2007/05/pdf2007_will_this_be_the_youtu.html
Now I can probably sit and sift out some more but I really am behind on what I need to get done today so anyone want to take up the challenge, please feel free. Point I am getting to is that this indeed was the scenario in the beginning of the election cycle. However now since the wrong candidate in the eyes of old media seems to be gaining the most traction, it is now being dismissed as a bizarre phenomena. The media constantly spins every positive grassroots effort as lazy non-voters who can't make a difference because we only exist in cyber space.( Don't forget most are not registered!!!)
Now,don't get me wrong, boots on the ground are very necessary so people see a real human face to the campaign. I appreciate your efforts!!! However don't dismiss those of us who can't get out there for personnel reasons (I have 7 children and a bit of agoraphobia).
What has been done is what the internet is best known for, social networking. Imagine how marginalized a candidate like Dr.Paul would be if he relied on the biased news networks to spread his message...The face of politics has changed. Old media is wrong. We also need to remember that the internet is what has made this campaign so successful. So don't let the naysayers of old media make us change the focus so totally that we lose the edge we have over their methods of politicking.
Mary