PDA

View Full Version : Money bombs are psychological.

literatim
12-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Money bombs are successful because it is psychological. It is tapping into their fervent excitement and they donate money they would never normally donate. We need to push December 31st to get Ron Paul to $21 mil.

quantized
12-23-2007, 03:19 AM
Money bombs are successful because it is psychological. It is tapping into their fervent excitement and they donate money they would never normally donate. We need to push December 31st to get Ron Paul to $21 mil.

i agree on your take.

Dave Pedersen
12-23-2007, 03:24 AM
The risk is that people will come to resent the prospect of money bombs permanently if they are asked to donate too frequently. It is not a good time to push for another bomb. Wait until the end of January at the earliest. We don't want bombers to burn out or it will take much longer to revive the idea. We have to pace ourselves.

Carole
12-23-2007, 03:36 AM
I agree that it is way too soon for a bomb for exactly the reasons mentioned here.

Yes, overdoing a good thing is a bad idea. Just try to keep donating for the rest of this quarter.

In another month, just before the Feb. Super Tuesday primaries, would maybe be a good a time to do a bomb. One full month of advertising online leading up to it, just like the excitement built this last time. I was on pins and needles that last week.

The psychological effect is good for the frightened MSM and other worried candidates as well.
But the chance of overdoing bombs could backfire and we could have a dud. It will be difficult right after Christmas when all the holiday bills come in, to get folks to donate.

We should not be looking to break any records in January. We might want to just keep a flow of money going in and bolster it with a mini-bomb late January.

literatim
12-23-2007, 03:40 AM
Ron Paul needs to get the most donatiosn for the quarter out of any other GOP candidate. It will be very beneficial when they announce Q4 donations.

Chibioz
12-23-2007, 04:00 AM
I think the campaign should do a top down fund raising push for the end of the quarter similar to the thermometer goals from last quarter

Bryan
12-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Money bombs are successful because it is psychological. It is tapping into their fervent excitement and they donate money they would never normally donate.
QFT. How many new donors were there? 24,000? How many of them would of donated otherwise? I'd guess less than half, at most.

IMO, I think the best plan is to alternate large money bombs and smaller ones. We've had four so far- two big ones on 11/5 and 12/16 and two small ones in the middle. The 12/31 one isn't going to be a major bomb (like the Veterans Day bomb and Rudy's Reading List). IMO, each bombs can best attract participants by having the right theme- that's an appeal for a smaller bomb (Veterans Day is a perfect example). A major bomb every 4-6 weeks sounds about right. If 6 weeks, add a small one in the middle. :)

Also, another real advantage with a large monthly money bomb over the weekly ones is saving on credit card processing fees. I'm not sure what the PCC is paying, anyone know? Say for example if they are 3% + 0.50 per transaction then if you have 50,000 people do one bomb a month vs. four weekly bombs then you're saving about $75,000 in transaction fees alone.

european
12-23-2007, 04:05 AM
just join in the http://www.ronpaulspayday.com/ Ron Pauls PayDay effort :D
my guess is that between christmas and new year, people will rally to get the $20mil border reached aswell. people got something for round figures ;)
makes me wonder how much we will raise in Q1 2008 tbh. with some good voting results, we might get another big surprise and then the whole world will know whats happening. :D

NerveShocker
12-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Bryan I think its all working out well. Some are joining the mini-moneybombs, others are joining the weekly money bomb ideas, and some are supporting projects such as NH and Iowa stuff and the blimp. We're multi-tasking and I think that is a good sign. We should find out before long how well these ideas work. In 6 hours the weekly money-bomb from www.RonPaulMoneybomb.com is beginning. I think for now let people do what they choose but later on it would be wise to have another huge money bomb like you said. The moneybomb coming up that your speaking of will do its job, but many will hold onto their money to keep the money flowing afterwards. This could end up working great but possibly not, the graphs will tell the story. I say let's wait and see how this works out then decide according to the results.

V-rod
12-23-2007, 04:30 AM
I prefer mini bombs over major ones now. We pulled almost 2million more than Nov 5th and the media ignored us.

Bryan
12-23-2007, 04:39 AM
Bryan I think its all working out well. Some are joining the mini-moneybombs, others are joining the weekly money bomb ideas, and some are supporting projects such as NH and Iowa stuff and the blimp. We're multi-tasking and I think that is a good sign. We should find out before long how well these ideas work. In 6 hours the weekly money-bomb from www.RonPaulMoneybomb.com is beginning. I think for now let people do what they choose but later on it would be wise to have another huge money bomb like you said. The moneybomb coming up that your speaking of will do its job, but many will hold onto their money to keep the money flowing afterwards. This could end up working great but possibly not, the graphs will tell the story. I say let's wait and see how this works out then decide according to the results.
Multi-task? Impossible! :D Seriously, I totally agree, just because a money bomb is scheduled doesn't mean you don't do anything else until then. But sure, everyone needs to decided how best to use their resources and the free market does work it's way out. :) I'm just speaking out in support of the big bombs- they really add something special that no one else has ever done. :)

I prefer mini bombs over major ones now. We pulled almost 2million more than Nov 5th and the media ignored us.
It's not just about the media, however that is a nice plus. We did make some good news and it sends a message to others that we are for real, so things grow... The media clips we do get also make for great YouTube video material. :)

blakjak
12-23-2007, 04:39 AM
We need to push December 31st to get Ron Paul to $21 mil.

21 million? I'd be ecstatic if we hit 20.

Taco John
12-23-2007, 06:02 AM
The risk is that people will come to resent the prospect of money bombs permanently if they are asked to donate too frequently.

Then they can drop out. We are growing exponentially and new supporters are asking "when is the next big day?"

We gained 25k+ new donors this time around. Why in the world would we care that some people want to drop out?

Taco John
12-23-2007, 06:07 AM

The hell they ignored us. Ron Paul got a ton of media attention this past week that he wouldn't have otherwise gotten. And the media attention isn't the goal of money bombs... RAISING MONEY is the goal of money bombs. So that the campaign can pay for a national campaign... Especially since this thing is looking like it might go brokered and the states leading all the way into May might count.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people would want to take the most powerful fundraising tool in the history of political fundraising out of our tool belt. This just baffles me. We have literally perfected an engine for raising an enormous sum of money in order to compete with all of the special interest money that the other candidates attract, and people want to argue against it.

It makes absolutely no sense to me.