PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Editor -- Dothan Eagle

hummtide
12-22-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.dothaneagle.com/gulfcoasteast/dea/opinion/letters_to_editor.apx.-content-articles-DEA-2007-12-21-vote_in_the_primary.html

Of all of the "debates" I have watched, only one candidate has given direct answers time and time again.

I decided that Texas Congressman Dr. Ron Paul will get my vote and it now seems he will in fact sweep every single state in the primaries and win the nomination outright.

Those who think otherwise don’t realize that his supporters will turn out in record numbers (at least 80 percent +) in every state whereas the other 5 republican candidates will be lucky to have turnout at 15 percent under the bestcase scenario.

So even if Dr. Ron Paul isn’t polling in first, it means nothing when the other candidates’ supporters refuse to vote, thus all but handing Paul the nomination.

Remember how Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton polled before their respectable primaries? They were in the top five, not top three. And they went on to not only win the nomination, but became president as well.

For me, the main reason I have chosen Dr. Paul is he isn't overly animated and stuck on one answer of 9/11 like Rudy, or always changing his mind by the hour like Romney and McCain.

Huckabee as we now are finding out in recent days from his actions years ago, isn't even worthy of holding the office of president. And Fred Thompson’s campaign quite frankly has been in a comatose auto-pilot state since he got in.

Hillary wants a trillion-dollar tax increase and the government to take care of everything since it's obvious we can't take care of ourselves.

Meanwhile, Barack Obama assumes he’s presidential because he spoke eloquently one time in 2004.

In any event, I myself up until this presidential election never spent one cent on any lawmaker, yet this year I have donated more than $1,000 to Dr. Paul (not including campaign materials). So my faith in him is rock solid and even if there is softball-sized hail on primary day, I will be out there to vote.

But to the Dothan Eagle readers, regardless of who you like or dislike for president, please vote in the primary as that is the election that chooses your presidential candidate for next November.

And if you don't vote in the primary, then next November don't bother complaining about having to choose the lesser of two evils.

Gerald Patterson
Dothan