PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about a superbowl ad

mikesown
12-22-2007, 09:36 PM
I think that Ron Paul needs an independant(PAC) superbowl ad. No doubt this is an expensive propsition, probably $2 million for a 30 second spot, but it would be a great way to increase awareness: over 90 million people watch the superbowl each year. Beyond the obvious benefits of supporters making the ad, 90 million people KNOWING about Ron Paul would, with no doubt, have a significant impact on his poll numbers. This is much more than showing the mainstream media we have the power to organize; this is our chance to SPREAD the message with money raised!

Is this achievable? Certainly. Look at the facts:
- More than $4 million was raised at the first money bomb in a single day.
- More than $6 million was raised at the second money bomb in a single day.
- Ron Paul's campaign contributions are capped at $2,300 per person($4,600 for couples).
- PAC contributions are capped at $5,000.

Thus, it is certainly possible to raise $2 million(or $4 million if we want a minute long spot) for a Ron Paul ad in the little more than a month before the superbowl(Febuary 3, 2008).

What do you guys think? Anyone want to setup a website/form a PAC to get the cash raised?

wgadget
12-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Yep, great idea.

Does anyone remember that weird video of someone getting beat up by our twisted government? It was out probably about 5 or 6 months ago. It was hilarious, very surreal, kooky but really memorable.

It's somewhere on youtube, but I can't remember the title...

quantized
12-22-2007, 09:41 PM
is the blimp going to be there?

krott5333
12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
is the blimp going to be there?

restricted airspace i believe

Zero Ice
12-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Good idea! It might be hard to actually get it on the air though... Have there ever been political campaign ads during the super bowl before?

bucfish
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I say do it and use the "famous 1984" ad to play off of.

Ron2Win
12-22-2007, 10:24 PM
I think the add is prohibitively expensive, and we could do much more with 2 million dollars.

And you barely have enough time to expose his positions in 30 seconds.

Movie ads that can be way longer and much cheaper. Television infomercials.

My thoughts anyways.

american.swan
12-22-2007, 10:29 PM
All the ad space is probably already bought. Thought of that? also, we are going to win, so a superbowl ad is not needed.

:)

mello
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I think it would be cheaper & more effective to get as many people to get as many tickets in the endzones as possible. Whenever someone scores a wall of people wearing Ron Paul Revolution t-shirts will be on TV.

noztnac
12-22-2007, 10:33 PM
The blimp sure as hell better be there. Restricted Airspace my ass! That's out air as much as anyone else's. If the Goodyear Blimp can be there then so can we.

I gave money to the blimp and I think that if they try to block having the blimp there that we can file a class action suit.

This needs to be looked into immediately.

noztnac
12-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I think it would be cheaper & more effective to get as many people to get as many tickets in the endzones as possible. Whenever someone scores a wall of people wearing Ron Paul Revolution t-shirts will be on TV.

That is a very good idea.

bucfish
12-22-2007, 10:34 PM
May I suggest to get GHoeberX , a 1984 theme to play off that Hilary-Obama fiasco. Let's add a little laugh to it. But this would be awesome cause people actually watch the SuperBowl for the ads cause they are usually good. Get it done Remember the SuperBowl is Febuary 3rd 2 days before Super Tuesday. A Super Bowl ad would be purrfect!!!

Also advertise the new weareronpaulsite

withallmyheart
12-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Have several blimp shaped bounce balls at the Super Bowl also. If they (Blimp balls) all appeared at once that may cause stir and get noticed by the announcers.

Revolutn
12-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but this idea has had dozens of threads.

I'll summarize the cumulative reasons why this idea, while good, isn't realistic.

1) All Ad space has been sold with a handful of 'reserved for top tier vendors' slots available to the big boys only like Coke Pepsi Bud etc.

2) The cost of these reserved spots is $3.8m

3) PAC's have previously been DENIED the purchase of a slot for a political ad, including in 2004 both the Kerry and Bush official campaigns. While it's not a law, it is the POLICY of the network to NOT run ANY politically affiliated commercials, because they do not want their Gamecast and the surrounding time slot politicized or politically charged.

I find 3 to be somewhat hypocritical, since the networks LOVE to do the blah blah blah America is great, we love our military, support the troops rah rah false patriotism stuff ESPECIALLY surrounding major sporting events, and again especially the NFL.

But....none the less.

I'm not against the idea, so there's not much to argue here, go search the threads or use google to find the proof for yourself....the network just won't sell any time to us.

Rev

Brad Zink
12-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Someone could make a huge Ron Paul banner and unfurl it behind the goalposts during a field goal.

Johncjackson
12-22-2007, 11:31 PM
All the ad space is probably already bought. Thought of that? also, we are going to win, so a superbowl ad is not needed.

:)

I read that it was sold out months ago. I have posted as such here before. The article I read also said it was going for around $3.7 million. It could have been wrong, but IIRC it was an industry ( ad industry) publication.

fuzzybekool
12-22-2007, 11:45 PM
I have seen numerous threads about Super Bowl advertsing. The networks will not allow any advocacy ads, especially political ads during the Super Bowl.

mkiv808
12-22-2007, 11:54 PM
A Superbowl ad would be GREAT, but as mentioned, the ads are probably all bought up months in advance.

I work in the advertising world and have every reason to believe they've got something like that planned out a year in advance.