PDA

View Full Version : Is NOW a good time to suspend the Blimp project?

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
1. The Blimp has had funding problems from day one and is still VERY short of what is needed even for 30 days of operation.
2. The blimp will not fly in NH as originally planned due to weather.
3. The blimp has to head back to it's hangar for repairs and crew change -- not in the air promoting Ron Paul until at least the 26th of December.
4. There appear to be other legal problems on-going that are not being discussed publicly.

The 100K or so they need to keep the blimp in the air could be used to fund the grass roots effort in Iowa and New Hampshire -- there are several groups there seeking money. The 100K would directly help the effort for Iowa and New Hampshire. A small article in a small city like Salisbury, Maryland is not going to do anything substantial for the Ron Paul movement over the next three weeks.

The weather in NH is not going to cooperate for the blimp. This was one of the main selling points for the blimp since day 1. Iowa is already out of the blimp picture.

I strongly urge the blimp team to call it quits now -- pay off your bills -- use the NH weather issue as the public reason to end operations for now. With Christmas, New Years and the Iowa primary following days after, little mention will be made of the 'suspension' of the project for now.

When the weather improves in a few months, and Dr. Paul is still in the race, then do it again -- and use the lessons you learned from the first attempt to improve the process next time.

Continuing to fund the blimp, so that they can fly around states that have LITTLE IMPACT on the early primaries does not seem like a good move.

Dave Pedersen
12-22-2007, 04:02 PM
No.

Pimp the blimp. She needs to fly south and work the crowds along the shorelines of South Carolina and Florida.

Ilhaguru
12-22-2007, 04:14 PM
The blimp is not that short on cash. They have slightly more than 80% needed as far as I know.

And guys, yes media attention is really good, but that's not everything and the blimp is very, very good at turning heads and getting those who don't follow politics to research Ron Paul or at least bring him to their attention. And those people are key for us.

Unfortunately its hard to get feedback and judge how effective the blimp really is, but listen to what Goodyear has to say about their blimps:

What does Goodyear get in return for such an investment in the blimps?

The end result is corporate-name recognition and goodwill. Independent research has demonstrated that people are excited by seeing the blimp and are able to remember exactly when and where they saw it. Over sixty million Americans get a first-hand look at the three U.S. blimps every year, and millions more see the airships in South America and throughout the world via global network connections. The Goodyear blimps may be the best-known corporation symbol in the United States.
http://www.goodyearblimp.com/faqs/faqs_business.html#return

szczebrzeszyn
12-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't get your point. It's not 'OUR' project. There is a company behind it (uhm, I think hehe) - let them decide if it makes sense to continue or not. And as for the clients - they will express their opinion with their wallets after all.

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't get your point. It's not 'OUR' project. There is a company behind it (uhm, I think hehe) - let them decide if it makes sense to continue or not. And as for the clients - they will express their opinion with their wallets after all.

When it is to THEIR advantage to call it their company and their project - they do. When it is to THEIR advantage to call it a grass roots effort - they do. I was here when it was first discussed and at that time it was a grass roots project and all of the money has come from the grass roots.

And I do believe the CLIENTS have expressed their opinion. The deadline for the 400K has been known for two weeks -- it was yesterday -- and the money was not raised.

But of course, that was all marketing hype -- going out of business sale -- and they never intended to shut down yesterday -- only to scare people into paying more.

DirtMcGirt
12-22-2007, 04:30 PM
blimp is awesome...

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
The blimp is not that short on cash. They have slightly more than 80% needed as far as I know.

And guys, yes media attention is really good, but that's not everything and the blimp is very, very good at turning heads and getting those who don't follow politics to research Ron Paul or at least bring him to their attention. And those people are key for us.

Unfortunately its hard to get feedback and judge how effective the blimp really is, but listen to what Goodyear has to say about their blimps:

What does Goodyear get in return for such an investment in the blimps?

The end result is corporate-name recognition and goodwill. Independent research has demonstrated that people are excited by seeing the blimp and are able to remember exactly when and where they saw it. Over sixty million Americans get a first-hand look at the three U.S. blimps every year, and millions more see the airships in South America and throughout the world via global network connections. The Goodyear blimps may be the best-known corporation symbol in the United States.
http://www.goodyearblimp.com/faqs/faqs_business.html#return

I have to disagree with your equation of the Good Year Blimp and the Ron Paul Blimp. The Good Year blimp is a long term publicity campaign for a company that has been, and plans to be, in business for a long time.

On the other hand, it does not matter much if some kid sees the Ron Paul blimp today and remembers it when he is 75. All that matters is the next few months -- Iowa, New Hampshire being the most important. The blimp will have very little, arguably no impact on those states -- but the 100K they need just for the next two weeks -- could be spent in those states and to the benefit of the campaign.

As far as the 80% goes -- that is just for the first month which is already half over and then you have to start raising money all over again. The support IS NOT THERE for this. You can post all of the positive posts you want -- the support in the form of money is not there.

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 04:40 PM
No.

Pimp the blimp. She needs to fly south and work the crowds along the shorelines of South Carolina and Florida.

What crowds would these be? Are these people from Iowa and New Hampshire that are down in Florida? Because those are the two states that count now -- if Ron Paul does well there, then he will already have the publicity he needs to gain support.

LukeNM
12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
3 people against and fighting the blimp -- 1,000's supporting it -- give up! What are you jealous because it was not your idea or were some of your ideas shot down – you are embarrassing yourself now!

szczebrzeszyn
12-22-2007, 04:45 PM
When it is to THEIR advantage to call it their company and their project - they do. When it is to THEIR advantage to call it a grass roots effort - they do. I was here when it was first discussed and at that time it was a grass roots project and all of the money has come from the grass roots.
Well, most of the people still call for 'donations' and many think, that this company was formed ONLY to run Ron Paul blimp (as a way to not starting a PAC), which is false as well - they said it themselves, that it's a business venture of running ads on the blimp for different clients (and RP is the first one). But people prefer to think it's still a grassroots, donation-based, RP-only project, event if the reality is totally different.

But of course, that was all marketing hype -- going out of business sale -- and they never intended to shut down yesterday -- only to scare people into paying more.
Whatever it was, I'm still waiting for the press release they announced around 24h ago after extension thing came out.

szczebrzeszyn
12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
3 people against and fighting the blimp -- 1,000's supporting it -- give up!
Where did you get your stats from? And remember, that there are lots of neutral folks. It's not that either you support the blimp or you fight against it.

Tarzan
12-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Personally, I don't think ending the Blimp project is a good idea. I don't think it was a good idea when "L" first posted it on December 1st.

The notion of the Blimp was not a "be all, end all" effort for getting Ron Paul elected. It was seen as a means by which Ron Paul awareness could be raised, in several manners, including MSM exposure. We have already seen positive results. Personally, I would like to see those results be given an opportunity to continue.

The Blimp is just another tool for the overall goal. It was created as a means to assist the Ron Paul message and all Ron Paul supporters. The Blimp is only one aspect of a consolidated effort. There are many projects on which we can devote our efforts... emailing friends & family, handing out literature to strangers, door-to-door efforts. The Blimp is just another tool to help the overall efforts. In my experience most people are hesitant to listen or they outright ignore efforts to accept information from anyone... strangers in particular. The Blimp can help open those doors and make spreading the Ron Paul message easier to accomplish.

Imagine yourself going door-to-door for Ron Paul. Instead of getting the normal response... a shrug the materials you left being thrown into the trash right after you leav... they say, "Hey, isn't that that guy with the Blimp?" Bingo, you just got your opening! You now have a much better chance of telling them about Ron Paul and how his presidency would help them, their children and our country.

Do you remember when the official campaign site said "$12,000,000 To Win in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, Florida"? The official campaign now has over $18,000,000! Does that mean we are guaranteed a win? Should we stop all of our grassroots efforts and go sit in our easy chairs because we have topped the magic number to Win? Of course not! We need to continue our efforts and do whatever we can to support the folks in the early primary states. The Blimp is just one of those tools.

As to this being a grassroots effort… all I can tell you is that a few, very dedicated Ron Paul supporters are making huge sacrifices to keep the Blimp flying and to help this project be successful. I know of few supporters who have quit their jobs and who are paying their own expenses to keep any Ron Paul project going. There may be others and I salute them. I do personally know of four who are making those types of sacrifices and they are on the Blimp Team. This type of devotion and commitment certainly seems to qualify as a grassroots effort to me, whatever the legal setup.

I think the question comes down to a yes or no proposition. If you think the Blimp can help get Ron Paul elected and you want to support the project, then put up some money. If you don't, then keep your money in your pocket. I, for one, hope people will fund the Blimp through to the general election and beyond. Because I want MY ride on the blimp... but I want it on January 20, 2009 over the capitol building when Ron Paul is inaugurated president.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/Inauguration.jpg
(that's me looking out the third window just behind Elijah, Trevor, Katharine & Daniel)

Disclaimer… yes, I am working with the Blimp Team… no, I am not getting paid… yes, I have coughed up cash to help the project… yes, I am biased about the Blimp because I think it will help get Ron Paul elected.

and for all you trekkers... "what the klingon has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words"

FreeTraveler
12-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I can't tell you how much more I enjoy the Blimp threads since I learned to use the Ignore feature. :)

Keep her flyin', lads & lassies!

gecko42
12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Personally, I don't think ending the Blimp project is a good idea. I don't think it was a good idea when "L" first posted it on December 1st.

The notion of the Blimp was not a "be all, end all" effort for getting Ron Paul elected. It was seen as a means by which Ron Paul awareness could be raised in several manners including MSM exposure. We have already seen positive results. Personally, I would like to see those results be given an opportunity to continue.

The Blimp is just another tool for the overall goal. It was created as a means to assist the Ron Paul message and all Ron Paul supporters. The Blimp is only one aspect of a consolidated effort. There are many projects on which we can devote our efforts... emailing friends & family, handing out literature to strangers, door-to-door efforts. The Blimp is just another tool to help the overall efforts. In my experience most people are hesitant to listen or they outright ignore efforts to accept information from anyone... strangers in particular. The Blimp can help open those doors and make spreading the Ron Paul message easier to accomplish.

Imagine yourself going door-to-door for Ron Paul. Instead of getting the normal response... a shrug the materials you left being thrown into the trash right after you leav... they say, "Hey, isn't that that guy with the Blimp?" Bingo, you just got your opening! You now have a much better chance of telling them about Ron Paul and how his presidency would help them, their children and our country.

Do you remember when the official campaign site said "$12,000,000 To Win in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, Florida"? The official campaign now has over $18,000,000! Does that mean we are guaranteed a win? Should we stop all of our grassroots efforts and go sit in our easy chairs because we have topped the magic number to Win? Of course not! We need to continue our efforts and do whatever we can to support the folks in the early primary states. The Blimp is just one of those tools.

As to this being a grassroots effort… all I can tell you is that a few, very dedicated Ron Paul supporters are making huge sacrifices to keep the Blimp flying and to help this project be successful. I know of few supporters who have quit their jobs and who are paying their own expenses to keep any Ron Paul project going. There may be others and I salute them. I do personally know of four who are making those types of sacrifices and they are on the Blimp Team. This type of devotion and commitment certainly seems to qualify as a grassroots effort to me, whatever the legal setup.

I think the question comes down to a yes or no proposition. If you think the Blimp can help get Ron Paul elected and you want to support the project, then put up some money. If you don't, then keep your money in your pocket. I, for one, hope people will fund the Blimp through to the general election and beyond. Because I want MY ride on the blimp... but I want it on January 21, 2009 over the capitol building when Ron Paul is inaugurated president.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/Inauguration.jpg
(that's me looking out the second window)

Disclaimer… yes, I am working with the Blimp Team… no, I am not getting paid… yes, I have coughed up cash to help the project… yes, I am biased about the Blimp because I think it will help get Ron Paul elected.

and for all you trekkers... "what the klingon has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words"

+1

texasliberty
12-22-2007, 05:50 PM
People, please just flag these threads or posts for deletion immediately (when you're signed in, its the little caution sign with the exclamation in it). From the first rule on the sticky "please read before posting here" thread:

"If you oppose the Blimp project do not post here."

Don't waste time countering them again and again - ESPECIALLY you Blimp Team people. We need you doing real work. They're opposition campaign operatives, either pro or de-facto.

Lacrosseus and szczebrzeszyn flat out should not be posting to this forum. When every one of their constant posts opposes the project, I'd say that's pretty much opposing the project. In any sane forum I've seen, they would have been banned about 2 weeks ago.

Moderators - your theory of "there are no trollish people, just trollish behavior" has clearly failed pretty solidly. They seem pretty content to start a new thread or post every 5 minutes while you chase their offending posts. Why should they worry - you're not really going to do anything to them, are you? If you're not up to IP banning people who are very motivated to shut projects down, we're really not going to be able to get good activism done using this board.

noztnac
12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Absolutely Not!!!! When it's parked over the Super Bowl you'll see why.

szczebrzeszyn
12-22-2007, 06:02 PM
They're opposition campaign operatives, either pro or de-facto.
You have no idea how wrong you are on this one, really (I'm speaking about myself of course, don't know this other guy). I have a theory about folks like you as well, but I'll keep it to myself this time. You can always start your own forum and ban everyone who don't agree with you if you don't like a free speech on these boards. Good luck!

RlxdN10sity
12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
As I have suggested from the beginning, the blimp should be used in SC. Northern weather this time of year is completely hostile to blimps. I will only be interested in contributing to the blimp when it is announced that a sensible, effective route has been planned in southern early primary states where exposure to Dr. Ron's message is minimal. Do something practical with the freakin blimp and I'm sure the more practical people that frequent this forum will be interested. At this point I am quite happy that I have not invested in this albatross.

wisconsinite
12-22-2007, 07:28 PM
As I have suggested from the beginning, the blimp should be used in SC. Northern weather this time of year is completely hostile to blimps. I will only be interested in contributing to the blimp when it is announced that a sensible, effective route has been planned in southern early primary states where exposure to Dr. Ron's message is minimal. Do something practical with the freakin blimp and I'm sure the more practical people that frequent this forum will be interested. At this point I am quite happy that I have not invested in this albatross.

Look at the flight plan. Starting on the 26th they're planning to fly south along the coast past Charleston and Savannah, GA to Jacksonville FL and then down to Orlando by the 31st.:)

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Absolutely Not!!!! When it's parked over the Super Bowl you'll see why.

You will not get one single second on TV if you park the blimp right over the stadium for 4 freakin' hours. Not one second.

Just like the blimp is getting very very little coverage now... Ron Paul would have been far better off producing a christmas commercial with a floating and highly lit bookshelf behind him.

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 07:49 PM
People, please just flag these threads or posts for deletion immediately (when you're signed in, its the little caution sign with the exclamation in it). From the first rule on the sticky "please read before posting here" thread:

"If you oppose the Blimp project do not post here."

Don't waste time countering them again and again - ESPECIALLY you Blimp Team people. We need you doing real work. They're opposition campaign operatives, either pro or de-facto.

Lacrosseus and szczebrzeszyn flat out should not be posting to this forum. When every one of their constant posts opposes the project, I'd say that's pretty much opposing the project. In any sane forum I've seen, they would have been banned about 2 weeks ago.

Moderators - your theory of "there are no trollish people, just trollish behavior" has clearly failed pretty solidly. They seem pretty content to start a new thread or post every 5 minutes while you chase their offending posts. Why should they worry - you're not really going to do anything to them, are you? If you're not up to IP banning people who are very motivated to shut projects down, we're really not going to be able to get good activism done using this board.

You are doing just the opposite -- mr. december member with 61 posts. YOU ARE THE OPERATIVE for the blimp. How many accounts do you have on here? What is your FINANCIAL interest in this project?

As I have written you privately -- if you think you can ban the honest people here pointing out the questionable actions by the blimp team -- and at the same time promote this project for your own gain -- you are commiting fraud. Plain and simple.

Onyx
12-22-2007, 08:23 PM
You gotta look at the Blimp in the eyes of someone who doesn't follow politics. I would personally be curious who Ron Paul is if I saw a giant blimp that said "Who is Ron Paul" on it. I'd ask people and google it.

Mark Mosconi
12-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Ron Paul would have been far better off producing a christmas commercial with a floating and highly lit bookshelf behind him.

Actually, I don't think he'd get much coverage for that because he's Ron Paul, not Mike Huckabee...and mainstream media knows better than to give Ron Paul coverage. December 16th proved that.

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 09:12 PM
You gotta look at the Blimp in the eyes of someone who doesn't follow politics. I would personally be curious who Ron Paul is if I saw a giant blimp that said "Who is Ron Paul" on it. I'd ask people and google it.

If they do not follow politics - do you think the blimp is going to turn them from a non-follower to a caucus participant? Not likely. Add to this, the blimp is not flying in Iowa or, as of today we find out, New Hampshire -- WHERE RON PAUL NEEDS Caucus support -- so those that you think may be magically converted will be of little value.

Actually, just a few minutes ago, I received the email from the campaign asking for volunteers to go to Iowa to help... but I assume you are one of those that think that supporters should sink hundreds of thousands of dollars into a troubled project that will not be able to do anything about these two states?

Lacrosseus
12-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Actually, I don't think he'd get much coverage for that because he's Ron Paul, not Mike Huckabee...and mainstream media knows better than to give Ron Paul coverage. December 16th proved that.

Ok... so the same goes for the blimp. Google Ron Paul Blimp and see how many stories are there -- and those that are, the blimp is a sideline and the article would have been written anyway.

Support should go to pay for the hotel rooms for people who have the time and ability to go to Iowa to help Ron Paul -- but not the money. Support should not go pay for the hotel rooms of a bunch of bungling amateurs who want to fly around in the blimp.

KirkOlson
12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
The blimp is great.

I'm not an American but I wish I was so I could purchase. It's a remarkable and truly unique project. Come'on people, it's a friggin blimp!! How crazy can you get?

Please purchase.

It's a blimp for crying out loud, this is once in a lifetime.

Cyclone
12-23-2007, 04:21 AM
3 people against and fighting the blimp -- 1,000's supporting it -- give up! What are you jealous because it was not your idea or were some of your ideas shot down – you are embarrassing yourself now!

Or is it three people with thousands of accounts started in November and December that support the blimp? (If you don't want to get attacked back you shouldn't start the fight.)

There are more than 3 on this thread that fighting the money pit that has become the blimp. It is draining all our resources, TV ads cannot get made, hardly any newspaper ads are going, and it makes us look like the circus is in town. We are getting media attention, but what kind of attention? It matters.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tag/ron-paul

Not every media article is flattering. And none of this spreads his message.

What brought you to Ron Paul? Was it a gimmick? Or was it a video or an article you read? What do you think will bring more people to Ron Paul? Hundreds of thousands dollars spent on a blimp or political advertising? The question is what is the most effective use of the money to bring voters to Ron Paul.

I think that everyone on this forum who has anything to do with the blimp MUST disclose before they can make posts about the blimp.

Cyclone
12-23-2007, 04:36 AM
Hey, why was Lacrosseus banned? This seems to be the second person I have heard of in two days who has been banned just for asking questions about the blimp. Make that three people who have been banned who asked questions about the blimp. Am I next?

LibertyEagle
12-23-2007, 04:47 AM
Hey, why was Lacrosseus banned? This seems to be the second person I have heard of in two days who has been banned just for asking questions about the blimp.

I have the same question. Why was Lacrosseus banned?

When did it become unacceptable here to ask valid questions? Since when was it a requirement to accept anyone's statements at face value?

Dave Pedersen
12-23-2007, 05:02 AM
hmm i left DailyPaul because they were getting too restrictive. I hope the same thing is not happening here. It amazes me how much I find myself censoring my own words just to be able to continue to speak among those who support Ron Paul.

When I drive down the street I am constantly mindful of the prospect of being pulled over by the police. It started a couple years ago after a very unpleasant incident. Now I feel the same way on forums dedicated to the promotion of freedom. In my opinion the only reasons to ban someone are when someone deliberately spreads lies or uses abundant obscenities against other members and will not heed warnings to cease and desist.

God bless America.

I can still say that?

Bryan
12-23-2007, 05:10 AM
No one has been banned for asking questions- ever. People get banned for repeated violations of the forum guidelines shown here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=22

More people will be banned for continuing to violate these guidelines:

+ Insulting or personally attacking other users is not allowed by any member.

+ Off-topic posts - Posts that do not relate to the threads intent are subject to being deleted.

+ Topics posted in the wrong sub-forum are subject to being moved or deleted. Please understand the sub-forum division before starting a new topic.

+ Any form of antagonizing other members is not allowed by non-established members.

+ If you are to be critical of another users ideas or message please do so in a respectful manner. It is possible to discuss your points as to why you feel the way you do, ideally you should include alternate suggestions or acknowledge you have none.

+ No excessive / pointless negativity on the campaign, its future or elements of it. All messages with a negative tone about the campaign from new users must provide supportive facts as to why there is a perceived negative and provide some suggested solutions to the issue. [This includes the all projects, like the blimp].

Cheers! :)