PDA

View Full Version : A Military endorsement?

LandonCook
12-22-2007, 02:15 PM
What better endorsement, than a Military endorsement!

Now picture this... Every single RP supporter who has been in the millitary, dress in their uniforms. A bunch of voters in the military voting for Paul, would more likely convince undecided voters.

So what do we do... make sure every RP Iowa Vet; Votes, and comes in uniform.

PimpBlimp
12-22-2007, 02:16 PM
illegal

Danny Molina
12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
They are not allowed to support a candidate while wearing their uniforms.

Heather in WI
12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I believe they can't appear in uniform while making a political speech

LandonCook
12-22-2007, 02:19 PM
They are not allowed to support a candidate while wearing their uniforms.

Your shitting me right! OMG that is such BS!

PimpBlimp
12-22-2007, 02:19 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/militarylaw1/a/milpolitics.htm

jeff_from_VA
12-22-2007, 02:21 PM
It's illegal and for good reason too. I fear the day the government or military start officially endorsing candidates.

LandonCook
12-22-2007, 02:21 PM

Ok... what about Vets?

Oliver
12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm for Betrayus. He certainly would convince the
War-Hardliners on the conservative side.

Bilgefisher
12-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok... what about Vets?

I dunno about you, but I'll gladly wear my sub hat.

LandonCook
12-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Does this include VETS?

Shink
12-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Does this include VETS?

As far as I'm aware, the UCMJ still holds some sort of 'claim' over you when you're out--FOR ONE YEAR. That puts me 6 months or so past their grip.

slantedview
12-22-2007, 02:38 PM

Now picture this... Every single RP supporter who has been in the millitary, dress in their uniforms. A bunch of voters in the military voting for Paul, would more likely convince undecided voters.

my brother (an Iraq veteran) wanted to wear his uniform to the rally at USC a few months back, and checked to see if he could. he was told, NO.

free.alive
12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
vets should be immune as they are once again civilians

DJ RP
12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
How about this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C73e-Cnb0K4&eurl=http://operationnh.com/

DaneKirk
12-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm for Betrayus. He certainly would convince the
War-Hardliners on the conservative side.

Screw you, General PETRAEUS is an honerable man that was put in a bad position by the President. He was charged with a job and like all of us on Active Duty over here right now we are carrying out our orders to the best of our ability. I have seen first hand that the "surge" has worked as far as decreasing violence every day I fly. He is only doing what he is ordered to do man, give him a break.

And actually if you are a vet you can do whatever you want, but I for instance can not. I am not sure if I am allowed to participate in that letter writing campaign but I do anyway, you just have to be careful what you say. The military has bigger things to worry about than to track down people like me who possibly bend the rules from time to time.

Scruffy the Janitor
12-22-2007, 02:41 PM
It doesn't matter much unless you are willing to stand behind the "zone line" for hours. Once you are in a certain vicinity of voting booths you cannot do, say, or wear anything political.

NerveShocker
12-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Sigh, whats working is what the British did. That is leaving. The area the British left and went home from has much less violence if any now.. It's a myth that we need to stay there, just like the Wmd's were a myth, and your dreaming if you really think they want us there. We are considered invaders.. we can't just invade countries with fake reasons. Listen to Ron Paul speak about the war he tells people all of these things every chance he gets. If it weren't for Ron Paul I wouldn't even know the British were leaving/have left. Somehow the Mainstream media(old media) missed that story or at least rarely brings it up if they ever did.

Danny Molina
12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Screw you, General PETRAEUS is an honerable man that was put in a bad position by the President. He was charged with a job and like all of us on Active Duty over here right now we are carrying out our orders to the best of our ability. I have seen first hand that the "surge" has worked as far as decreasing violence every day I fly. He is only doing what he is ordered to do man, give him a break.

And actually if you are a vet you can do whatever you want, but I for instance can not. I am not sure if I am allowed to participate in that letter writing campaign but I do anyway, you just have to be careful what you say. The military has bigger things to worry about than to track down people like me who possibly bend the rules from time to time.

I agree. The general is just doing his job, and he has made things better in Anbar for now. As a soldier he's just doing what he's told to do.

LandonCook
12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
How about this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C73e-Cnb0K4&eurl=http://operationnh.com/

I wish that video would blanket Iowa...

acroso
12-22-2007, 04:50 PM
It's not bs. We want our political leaders making political decisions not the military.....unless you want to live in 1940's Germany that is.

vegetarianrpfan
12-22-2007, 05:02 PM
...like all of us on Active Duty over here right now we are carrying out our orders to the best of our ability....

I am not sure if I am allowed to participate in that letter writing campaign but I do anyway, you just have to be careful what you say. The military has bigger things to worry about than to track down people like me who possibly bend the rules from time to time.

Thank you so much for your service and for your devotion to Ron Paul! If an active duty military person can participate in the letter-writing campaign, more of us still in the good old homeland should be able to.

Buy some stamps and get writing, folks! :)

-----------------------------
Libertarian Girl
http://www.libertariangirl.com

DisabledCombatVet4change
12-22-2007, 05:16 PM
I am a Service-Connected Disabled combat Veteran. I am 21 Years old and I volunteer regularly at the veteran’s hospital here in Ohio, as well as attend appointments and therapy sessions diagnosed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from my combat service in Baghdad.

My only passion is to help returning veterans get immediate attention upon returning home from a combat zone, and to repay veterans of previous generations the respect that they earned. Bringing attention to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and the effects it has on vets once they return to civilian life.
I live in Columbus, Ohio on the Ohio state university campus and to raise awareness I'm volunteering my car to be covered in Ron Paul ads. I won't have to pay anything and it helps the campaign... there's info about it in another thread.... but if there were more volunteers we could have Ron Paul mobiles across the country...... so check out this link and volunteer too!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=63414

ps GO BUCKS..... See you in New Orleans

I had a life changing insight yesterday. But my fingers are tired from typing so I’ll add that here in a little while. It’s about a story between a young vet (I) and an old vet that was in the battle of the bulge. An extremely profound story.

steph3n
12-22-2007, 05:19 PM

Dane,

ignore Oliver he is a german living in germany that HATES our soldiers. He does a good job turning people far away from Ron Paul by saying "die soldiers, die. go find wmd" and calling it humor.

Oliver
12-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Dane,

ignore Oliver he is a german living in germany that HATES our soldiers.

BS. I don't care what SOLDIER dies. And why should I anyway?
Killing innocent children for WMD lies is no heroic act at all...

AND IT NEVER WILL BE.

Ignore-mode much?

Wonder if it were your children killed by foreigners.

So excuse me for giving a **** about US-Soldiers
causing hundred-thousands of innocent deaths and
causing 2 million refugees.

It's not your children and citizen anyway! So just
be PROUD of it and support the Troops! :rolleyes:

My vote goes for Ron instead - actually understanding how
patriotic it is to bomb third-world counties ... Need evidence? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUG8T0ceeRs

steph3n
12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
BS. I don't care what SOLDIER dies. And why should I anyway?
Killing innocent children for WMD lies is no heroic act at all...

AND IT NEVER WILL BE.

Ignore-mode much?

Wonder if it were your children killed by foreigners.

So excuse me for giving a **** about US-Soldiers
causing hundred-thousands of innocent deaths and
causing 2 million refugees.

It's not your children and citizen anyway! So just
be PROUD of it and support the Troops! :rolleyes:

My vote goes for Ron instead - actually understanding how
patriotic it is to bomb third-world counties ... Need evidence? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUG8T0ceeRs

Oliver,

Quite frankly I don't care what you say. I will slam your statements like this at every point because you are not at a point to even make such a judgment.
You should NEVER make such statements, I don't care how much you hate the troops.

evadmurd
12-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Ok... what about Vets?

Vets don't wear a uniform.

Oliver
12-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Oliver,

Quite frankly I don't care what you say. I will slam your statements like this at every point because you are not at a point to even make such a judgment.
You should NEVER make such statements, I don't care how much you hate the troops.

You don't get it, do you?

1. I don't hate the holy troops. I hate what they do.

Like Ron does, by the way.

2. You can care or ignore all you want. But don't
whine about 19 Hijackers anymore if you don't
care about what others think about your actions
in their country.

Blowbacks.

Blindly supporting the troops is part of the problem.
So I guess it's a patriotism-based problem. But
never mind, we had the same problem here - in the
thirties and forties. So patriotism isn't such a big
deal anyway.

SlapItHigh
12-23-2007, 04:00 AM
It's illegal and for good reason too. I fear the day the government or military start officially endorsing candidates.

If someone is in their uniform and shows support for a candidate that in no way means or implies that the government or military is endorsing a candidate. If a mcdonalds drive through rep goes to a Ron Paul rally in her mcdonalds uniform, do you think that McDonalds has officially endorsed Ron Paul?

skeet
12-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Oliver, one can support the troops without supporting our occupation in Iraq. Our soldiers understand what the Constitution is, and that they took an oath to defend it. Most thinking soldiers are in our camp. A strong military is a great thing for this nation because it has prevented wars.

If you believe Dr. Paul has issues with individual soldiers, then you have not read much about him. The Ron Paul "Veterans" Slim-jim captures his thoughts nicely.

Our soldiers do their duty and sometimes pay the ultimate price as my grandson did in 2006. We ask them to do it, and they do - they volunteer. Our fight is not with them, but with those who would (and do) use them for their ends. If we lose sight of this distinction then we lose more than an election.

US service men and women deserve our thanks for their service. Our elected officials deserve our disdain for using them as pawns in an effort to expand our empire and concentrate power.

My meet-up is filled with active duty military and vets who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. If we are to win at least in my area, we will need them on our side. By all means use your liberty as you wish, but know that it is not just nations that recieve "blowback"

evadmurd
12-24-2007, 03:46 AM
If someone is in their uniform and shows support for a candidate that in no way means or implies that the government or military is endorsing a candidate. If a mcdonalds drive through rep goes to a Ron Paul rally in her mcdonalds uniform, do you think that McDonalds has officially endorsed Ron Paul?

http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/html/134410.htm

Yom
12-24-2007, 04:15 AM

Is this completely accurate? It says that active duty military personnel are not allowed to make donations to any political candidate (!) or even campaign for him or her (all on p. 2)!

Paulite5112007
12-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Is this completely accurate? It says that active duty military personnel are not allowed to make donations to any political candidate (!) or even campaign for him or her (all on p. 2)!

It's accurate. 4.1.1 is what they CAN do (includes donating). 4.1.2 is what they cannot do (includes actually running for office).

libertarian4321
12-24-2007, 05:51 AM

Active duty soldiers are very limited in what they can do- they can vote, donate money, but not much else.

National Guard and Reserves can do almost anything civilians can do when NOT on duty- including going to rallies, campaigning, and even running for political office.

Vets no longer in the military are free to do whatever they want politically.

However, NO ONE can actively work for a candidate while wearing the uniform.

libertarian4321
US Army Reserve

SlapItHigh
12-24-2007, 06:44 AM
http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/html/134410.htm

Why did you post that link in response to my post? Not seeing the connection.

evadmurd
12-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Why did you post that link in response to my post? Not seeing the connection.

Merely posted the document that points out that (at least according to the UCMJ) a person in uniform voicing support for a candidate may be construed as the military, or branch, unit, brigade, etc., as doing the same. You stated:

"If someone is in their uniform and shows support for a candidate that in no way means or implies that the government or military is endorsing a candidate..."

This directive shows that not to be the case. That is exactly what they want to avoid.

SlapItHigh
12-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Merely posted the document that points out that (at least according to the UCMJ) a person in uniform voicing support for a candidate may be construed as the military, or branch, unit, brigade, etc., as doing the same.

I don't see such information posted anywhere in the link you provided. It simply states the policies which I am already well aware of as a military spouse. I don't think my post gave the impression that I wasn't aware of that. You saw that my post was a reply to someone else about whether or not participating in political events while wearing a uniform means that the organization as a whole has endorsed a particular candidate - it does not.

DeadtoSin
12-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Look, you are wrong. It doesn't matter what your principles about it are, it is illegal for a soldier to get on camera in his uniform and endorse a candidate. No more little stories about McDonalds or anything, it doesn't apply.

evadmurd
12-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Huh? You specifically said,

"If someone is in their uniform and shows support for a candidate that in no way means or implies that the government or military is endorsing a candidate..."

How is that not incorrect? I was simply pointing out a document that showed the current standard and the reason for it -- because the military believes that it does.

Believe me, I agree with you, but you stated it, as I took it, as a fact rather than opinion. Plain and simple. No offense intended.

Zack
12-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Active duty soldiers are very limited in what they can do- they can vote, donate money, but not much else.

National Guard and Reserves can do almost anything civilians can do when NOT on duty- including going to rallies, campaigning, and even running for political office.

Vets no longer in the military are free to do whatever they want politically.

However, NO ONE can actively work for a candidate while wearing the uniform.

libertarian4321
US Army Reserve

libertarian4321 is correct. As long as you're not active duty, you can do whatever you damn well please, in uniform or out. The military give you some general guidelines about when it's most appropriate to wear your old uniform (for example, some people wear it at their weddings), but those are just suggestions. I could put on my old uniform on right now, stand in front of an army base, and sing weird Al songs while dancing a jig and holding a RonPaul sign, and as long as I don't block traffic, they wouldn't/couldn't do anything. :cool:

SlapItHigh
12-24-2007, 03:37 PM
How is that not incorrect? I was simply pointing out a document that showed the current standard and the reason for it -- because the military believes that it does.

You did not provide the reason for it. You only provided the current standard which I am already fully aware of as I have consulted the standards many times.

Believe me, I agree with you, but you stated it, as I took it, as a fact rather than opinion. Plain and simple. No offense intended.

It is a fact. Show me how it isn't. Seriously think about what you are saying. It is impossible for it to mean that.

Look, you are wrong. It doesn't matter what your principles about it are, it is illegal for a soldier to get on camera in his uniform and endorse a candidate. No more little stories about McDonalds or anything, it doesn't apply.

Lol, you are confused. I have already stated that it is illegal so try again. My story applies but if you have any logic or reason to offer that makes sense next time...let us know.

evadmurd
12-24-2007, 10:12 PM
You did not provide the reason for it.

Reason for what? Gads, it's not important! I thought I was just clarifying. Have a Merry Christmas.