PDA

View Full Version : Should Ron Paul issue a statement recognizing Lakota sovereignty?

pikerz
12-22-2007, 01:45 PM
http://readerrant.capitolhillblue.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44184

Could be a media coup...

What do you guys think?

fortilite
12-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Shouldn't comment on it.

dircha
12-22-2007, 01:48 PM
The Lakota nation people have not renounced their U.S. citizenship or seceded or anything of the sort. This was a stunt done by an activist and some of his supporters. He does not hold any official position and has no authority to make such a move.

pikerz
12-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Im thinking if he even demonstrates that he understands what indian sovereignty means, the resulting buzz at the street level could be priceless.

lynnf
12-22-2007, 01:56 PM
http://readerrant.capitolhillblue.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=44184

Could be a media coup...

What do you guys think?

it's a minefield - stay away

lynn

Corydoras
12-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Im thinking if he even demonstrates that he understands what indian sovereignty means, the resulting buzz at the street level could be priceless.

Seriously, just how many people do you know who talk about First Nations sovereignty?

DrNoZone
12-22-2007, 01:59 PM
The Lakota nation people have not renounced their U.S. citizenship or seceded or anything of the sort. This was a stunt done by an activist and some of his supporters. He does not hold any official position and has no authority to make such a move.

Actually, you're wrong. Check out their webpage: http://www.lakotafreedom.com/

pikerz
12-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Seriously, just how many people do you know who talk about First Nations sovereignty?

those who care about it, care deeply.

literatim
12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Actually, you're wrong. Check out their webpage: http://www.lakotafreedom.com/

Actually, he isn't wrong and that site is bogus.

LibertyForAll
12-22-2007, 02:02 PM
We haven't even made it to the primaries yet. It's not the time to get side-tracked on other issues, unless it is a relevant question asked to him by the press. He should give his opinion if asked, but at this point it isn't something that the average citizen is going to base their vote on.

DrNoZone
12-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Actually, he isn't wrong and that site is bogus.

Sure, okay, whatever you say. No proof of his position, and I offered plenty of proof for mine.

dircha
12-22-2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2007/12/21/msm-exaggerates-american-indians-claims-seceding-usa

pikerz
12-22-2007, 02:04 PM
OK, after thinking about what you guys said--- Maybe WE should reach out to them, and show them that Paul is an acedemic that honors his word, believes in freedom and self-determination.

What do you think?

dircha
12-22-2007, 02:05 PM
http://www.badeagle.com/journal/archives/2007_12.html

DrNoZone
12-22-2007, 02:06 PM
http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2007/12/21/msm-exaggerates-american-indians-claims-seceding-usa

That's great and all, but I didn't see ONE reference to Means on the Lakota Freedom site. So this authors speculation is just as ridiculous as the MSM he's slamming.

DaneKirk
12-22-2007, 02:07 PM

I agree, this would give an opening to all of Ron's critics. I do not think that he would advocate seceding from the Union. His revolution is that of ideas and I doubt he would like to see parts of the Union brake off.

DrNoZone
12-22-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree, this would give an opening to all of Ron's critics. I do not think that he would advocate seceding from the Union. His revolution is that of ideas and I doubt he would like to see parts of the Union brake off.

Actually, I bet he would, considering that it's a perfectly constitutional thing to do. He supports the Constitution 100%, even secession. Though I don't think he'd see that as a first step to take by any means.

pikerz

if they are recognized as soveriegn by treaties that we signed but do not honor, its not quite what you'd suggest.

Grandson of Liberty

lynn

+1,000,000,000,000

literatim
12-22-2007, 02:11 PM
That's great and all, but I didn't see ONE reference to Means on the Lakota Freedom site. So this authors speculation is just as ridiculous as the MSM he's slamming.

You do realize that anyone can make a website, right?

DrNoZone
12-22-2007, 02:12 PM
You do realize that anyone can make a website, right?

Wow, I'd never thought of that before! Count me skooled (and I take back everything I said in this thread).

:rolleyes:

Jobarra
12-22-2007, 02:15 PM
I hope he would say something along the lines of:
"Well, they speak of government abuses as to why they wish to secede. Government abuses are exactly why I entered Congress in the first place and are why I am now running for the Republican nomination for President. Should I get into office, I would hope to reverse these abuses. Let's see what they think of the Federal Government when I'm in office advocating for the Federal Government to get out of everyone's business."

jeff_from_VA
12-22-2007, 02:15 PM
It is a fake.

pikerz
12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
fake or not, a great deal of them care about it.

might be worth letting them know about Dr Paul on our own, no?

free.alive
12-22-2007, 02:21 PM
hell no. Not something he should be discussing, and its nothing that's relevant to this presidential campaign. However, I'm sure it's going to come up....

eldeeder
12-22-2007, 02:33 PM

Read this page and understand this thread shouldn't even exist. MINEFIELD....

Go nowhere near it...

Alex Libman
12-22-2007, 03:22 PM
The Lakota story will take years to develop. The only ones to recognize them ASAP will be the likes of Hugo Chavez!

If you're looking for a real LIBERTARIAN political migration / possible secession movement already endorsed by Ron Paul - try the Free State Project!

ProBlue33
12-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Two words

BIG MINEFIELD

It is an unwinable issue, stay away.

ErikBlack
12-22-2007, 07:02 PM
I don't think Ron Paul should get involved, but on a personal level I can empathize with the native American people. They never asked to be a part of this country. They were conquered and imprisoned within the walls of this nation against their will. I believe they should have the right to succeed if they wish, as should all states. Only voluntary associations are valuable and the federation of these United States should always remain a voluntary act for mutual benefit. Finally, it should be understood that the tribal governments do not typically represent the interests of the people very well. They are often corrupt puppet governments run by "westernized Indians" wtih loyalties are to the United States government and the Bureau of Indian Affairs, not the people of the tribe.

dircha
12-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I think it would be great if this were true, but everything I am reading indicates that this is being done by a small group of activists who do not hold leadership positions are not authorized to speak on behalf of their people.

It appears to have been a media blunder that it even got the coverage it did.

ThomasJ
12-22-2007, 07:53 PM
This is a minefield because of basicly dual ownership of property around the Lakota nation. Meaning the U.S. Government sold land to citizens that it did not actually own. On the other hand those individuals who bought land legally should not be punished for the wrong doing of the government.

Means is not a official tribal representative. The way he sees it though is that the chiefs are puppet representatives of the US government.

On the other hand alot of the tribe do not like him because they think he is only in it for his own financial gain.

Honestly in my personal opinion all the tribes should stop taking government money and start being free. They could be some of the most prosperous country's in the world especially if they devote themselves to true free markets with no restrictions in place. The double edge sword though is that if they went to a gold standard currency US citizens would not be able to afford much on the Res... Which would be an ironic twist.