PDA

View Full Version : The Ron Paul Air Corps heads to NH

ctblnpilot
12-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Calling all local NH freedom fighters. We need some intel and ground support. We are seeking launch locations and flight path ideas for the banner flights and possible staged leaflet or supply drops to the boots on the ground.

My wife has a few days off coming to her and and we'd like to come up to NH with the Ron Paul Balloon next weekend Friday through Monday the 31st. We're looking to have some fun with the NH boots on the ground meetup volunteers and maybe fly some media folks. It would be great to have a caravan of supporters following the balloon on the ground as "chase crew".

Frank
Ron Paul Air Corps.

eloquensanity
12-22-2007, 09:03 AM
WOW I didn't know there was a Ron Paul balloon.

ctblnpilot
12-22-2007, 09:08 AM
This is the banner;
http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/2/3/8/b/highres_2889099.jpeg

This is the balloon;
http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/b/0/4/9/highres_2865129.jpeg

I have a few pilot friends that I could borrow their launch sites from.
One is in the Hillsboro area, another in Henniker, One is just west of Manchester but we have to stay away from the airport there. Another lives in Derry. I have also flown in Pittsfield, Lebanon and the North Conway valley before.

I'd love to bring it up to the Mount Washington Hotel where they signed the Bretton Woods banking agreement.
http://www.brettonwoods.com/

eloquensanity
12-22-2007, 09:09 AM
This is the banner;
http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/pho...?

This is the balloon;
http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/pho...?

I have a few pilot friends that I could borrow their launch sites from.
One is in the Hillsboro area, another in Henniker, One is just west of Manchester but we have to stay away from the airport there. Another lives in Derry. I have also flown in Pittsfield, Lebanon and the North Conway valley before.

I'd love to bring it up to the Mount Washington Hotel where they signed the Bretton Woods banking agreement.
http://www.brettonwoods.com/

The links don't work

ctblnpilot
12-22-2007, 09:13 AM
This is the banner;
http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/phot...s_2889099.jpeg

This is the balloon;
http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/phot...s_2865129.jpeg

Who can get a live stream up on the net like justin TV has connected from the balloon and wants to go for a ride?

tonyTheBest
12-22-2007, 09:32 AM
I think this is a good idea.

Coola
12-22-2007, 09:37 AM
lol For a second I thought you were referring to the Blimp. But that is awesome!

For the lazy:

http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/2/3/8/b/highres_2889099.jpeg

http://photos2.meetupstatic.com/photos/member/b/0/4/9/highres_2865129.jpeg

Ozwest
12-22-2007, 09:41 AM
This is great! Thanks guys.

Who would be the people to contact in New Hampshire to get them the support they need?

Ethek
12-22-2007, 09:45 AM
We have a blimpz and a balloon! Unfortunately circumstances have forced Ron Paul Generals to allocate the blimp in the south. Good thing for the balloon reserve! No army stands a chance without air cover.

gjdavis60
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
A balloon basket. In January. In New Hampshire.

Bring a lot of warm clothes.

ctblnpilot
12-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I've offered WMUR a ride for their camera crew. Any others?

VicVixvi
12-22-2007, 09:53 AM
That is too cool and a wonderful idea. If you need some help getting it there, startup a chip-in & I'll throw in.

-V-

jgmaynard
12-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Sweet... Not only do we have air superiority, we have air supremacy... :D

Serious, I'm good with the local media in the state if you need some help publicizing it. Also good at putting on events. What kind of conditions do you need for a field in which to land?

JM

ctblnpilot
12-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Sweet... Not only do we have air superiority, we have air supremacy... :D

Serious, I'm good with the local media in the state if you need some help publicizing it. Also good at putting on events. What kind of conditions do you need for a field in which to land?

JM

As long as the winds are light we can get into pretty small fields for landing. We have to stay out of Manchester because of the airspace restrictions and we don't want to launch upwind of serious forest land. Farm and suburban housing areas are good.

I'd like to make the most of the visit and get some news camera crews. Producers love balloons for the fluff pieces at the ends of news broadcasts.

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Are the volunteers in HN planning anything for new years eve?
If so we'd like to be a part of it. A night glow with the Ron Paul balloon would be a hoot.

We used to do something like that in North Conway NH

InRonWeTrust
12-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing this baby in flight with the banner. :)

francisco
12-23-2007, 05:01 PM
ctblnpilot,

Curiosity question: How much would a hot-air balloon envelope (is that the right term?) cost, that had a prominent Ron Paul sign as integral part of design?

Pimpin Turtle Dot Com
12-23-2007, 05:08 PM
HAHA BADASS.... I love how you talk in airforce terms....go RP Aircorps!

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 05:16 PM
ctblnpilot,

Curiosity question: How much would a hot-air balloon envelope (is that the right term?) cost, that had a prominent Ron Paul sign as integral part of design?

Depends on the complexity of the design and special shape if any.
A small conventional shape red white and blue balloon with sewn in Ron Paul lettering might go for 25k.

A very complex 150' tall shape like the energizer bunny could go to $200,000.

Our goldfishbowl shape balloon was about 35k

http://www.goldieandgus.com/images/GandG.jpg

francisco
12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
ctblnpilot,

Thanks for the info.

I have a germ of an idea:

Suppose there was a baloon pilot who needed a new envelope. How much of a financial inducement would it possibly take to convince him to incorporate a big "Ron Paul" in the design? After all, the balloon is his to keep.

Alternatively, is it feasible for a balloon to carry a large banner, either on the balloon itself, or carried under the basket? The latter might be cheap and easy to make. I'm thinking weights on bottom and lightweight stiffening rods could keep it taut and straight. I'm reasoning that it could be kept to equivalent weight of a passenger.

roversaurus
12-23-2007, 05:31 PM
That you plan to use the balloon for Get Out The Vote efforts.

The other campaigns send cars to pick you up. Ron Paul supporters
send hot air balloons.

francisco
12-23-2007, 05:35 PM
A balloon basket. In January. In New Hampshire.

Bring a lot of warm clothes.

Please don't tell me we are going to start seeing naysaying posts here, too.

I'm taking a deep breath and assuming for the moment that your comment is lighthearted. Please tell me this is so!

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 05:37 PM
ctblnpilot,

Thanks for the info.

I have a germ of an idea:

Suppose there was a baloon pilot who needed a new envelope. How much of a financial inducement would it possibly take to convince him to incorporate a big "Ron Paul" in the design? After all, the balloon is his to keep.

Alternatively, is it feasible for a balloon to carry a large banner, either on the balloon itself, or carried under the basket? The latter might be cheap and easy to make. I'm thinking weights on bottom and lightweight stiffening rods could keep it taut and straight. I'm reasoning that it could be kept to equivalent weight of a passenger.

The cheapest way to go would be to buy a nice patriotic RWB color balloon with white stars on the blue and a Velcro perimeter sewn on in several places to attach the Ron Paul message. In this way the balloon could easily be resold after the campaign.

I would consider doing something like that but time is short. It takes a few weeks to build a new one. I have a friend that might sell his used red and blue balloon.

The most expensive part of an advertising contract remains the actual flying and traveling but compared to a project like the blimp the costs are minimal.

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Please don't tell me we are going to start seeing naysaying posts here, too.

I'm taking a deep breath and assuming for the moment that your comment is lighthearted. Please tell me this is so!

Actually it's no colder than standing around on the ground for an hour or so. The feet do get cold from standing around. Good boots are a must.

francisco
12-23-2007, 05:46 PM
The cheapest way to go would be to buy a nice patriotic RWB color balloon with white stars on the blue and a velcro perimiter sewn on in several places to attach the Ron Paul message. In this way the balloon could easily be resold after the campaign.

I would consider doing something like that but time is short. I have a friend that might sell his red and blue balloon.

The most expensive part of an advertising contract remains the actual flying and traveling but compared to a project like the blimp the costs are minimal.

I'm not in a financial position to underwrite myself the purchase of a balloon for later resale, but perhaps this thread might generate some interest by others, or for a chip-in.

Is the banner you showed in photo carried under your basket? If not, is a banner carried underneath feasible? Another idea I had was to affix letters made from lightweight sailcloth to a background made of cheap bird netting; this would reduce weight and influence of wind on the banner. In the sky the background would appear invisible. Letters could have contrasting outline to improve visibility.

Quantumystic
12-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Now all we need is IronMan to do a few fly-overs trailing a Ron Paul banner! :D

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm not in a financial position to underwrite myself the purchase of a balloon for later resale, but perhaps this thread might generate some interest by others, or for a chip-in.

Is the banner you showed in photo carried under your basket? If not, is a banner carried underneath feasible? Another idea I had was to affix letters made from lightweight sailcloth to a background made of cheap bird netting; this would reduce weight and influence of wind on the banner. In the sky the background would appear invisible. Letters could have contrasting outline to improve visibility.

The banner that's pictured on my trailer (It was too windy to put the balloon up that day) is about 8' x 25' and gets attached to the envelope just below the equator. Right now it gets pinned on but the ideal way to fasten it is to use 2'' velcro around the border.

Banners are usually made out of ripstop nylon and that's plenty strong. Even the blimp uses nylon fabric material with a webbing reinforcement around the edge that the bungee cords attach to.

francisco
12-23-2007, 09:17 PM
The banner that's pictured on my trailer (It was too windy to put the balloon up that day) is about 8' x 25' and gets attached to the envelope just below the equator. Right now it gets pinned on but the ideal way to fasten it is to use 2'' velcro around the border.

Banners are usually made out of ripstop nylon and that's plenty strong. Even the blimp uses nylon fabric material with a webbing reinforcement around the edge that the bungee cords attach to.

Thanks for the insights into hot air balloons. I used to fly sailplanes but never learned much about balloons (except to give them right-of-way!)

Sounds like your banner accomplishes what I had in mind.

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the insights into hot air balloons. I used to fly sailplanes but never learned much about balloons (except to give them right-of-way!)

Sounds like your banner accomplishes what I had in mind.

No kidding, I used to own a S 1-26 out of Wtby CT. Great fun. The guy that signed me off flew for the Luftwaffe. Between the wars, German pilots learned on gliders because they weren't allowed to have much of an air force.

I'd love to do more for Ron Paul with the balloon but money is a little tight right now. We're forgoing our end of year "someplace warm" mini vacation to donate to the campaign and will be spending the time in NH.

A good showing in NH is critical, IMO.

OferNave
12-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I'd love to do more for Ron Paul with the balloon but money is a little tight right now. We're forgoing our end of year "someplace warm" mini vacation to donate to the campaign and will be spending the time in NH.

Yup. I'm burning through large portions of my life savings like a mad man. But it's 'good' pain. :)

whutaboutbob
12-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Thank you!

:cool:

Ibgamer
12-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Where have you flown before pilot?

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Thank you!

:cool:

No thanks necessary my friend, we're all doing what we can. Actually I've gotten more thanks than many people. I got to shake his hand and he signed my constitution at a GOP picnic this summer.

I'm hoping we can put together a new years eve party up there for the volunteers. I'm still looking for a venue. I wonder if we can rent a hanger at the Concord Airport?

ctblnpilot
12-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Where have you flown before pilot?

Mostly New York and New England. Also NC and ABQ NM

francisco
12-24-2007, 03:54 AM
No kidding, I used to own a S 1-26 out of Wtby CT. Great fun. The guy that signed me off flew for the Luftwaffe.

Now that's an amazing coincidence, because I was also signed off by an ex-Luftwaffe pilot! He flew Stork reconnaissance planes as a teenager in WWII. I doubt it was the same guy because I learned to fly gliders in Wisconsin. He was a really great instructor and loved flying; one memorable training flight he taught me how to do hammerheads!

I loved the 1-26 because it flew so precisely without being squirrelly like some higher-performance gliders.

Geronimo
12-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Calling all local NH freedom fighters. We need some intel and ground support. We are seeking launch locations and flight path ideas for the banner flights and possible staged leaflet or supply drops to the boots on the ground.

My wife has a few days off coming to her and and we'd like to come up to NH with the Ron Paul Balloon next weekend Friday through Monday the 31st. We're looking to have some fun with the NH boots on the ground meetup volunteers and maybe fly some media folks. It would be great to have a caravan of supporters following the balloon on the ground as "chase crew".

Frank
Ron Paul Air Corps.

This sounds like a great idea. Have you contacted any of the NH meetup groups, or the operation live free or die people yet?

ctblnpilot
12-24-2007, 09:51 AM
This sounds like a great idea. Have you contacted any of the NH meetup groups, or the operation live free or die people yet?

No but I need to get a hold of them pronto. The News Assignment Manager at WMUR-TV has just emailed me for more information. I offered their camera crew a ride in the Ron Paul Balloon next weekend.

Geronimo
12-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Try getting in touch with the organizers from each group and I'm sure you'll have your support here in NH.

Operation Live Free or Die Meetup (http://ronpaul.meetup.com/1451/?gj=sj8)
Manchester NH Ron Paul 2008 Meetup (http://ronpaul.meetup.com/879/?gj=sj8)
The Nashua Ron Paul 2008 Meetup Group (http://ronpaul.meetup.com/309/?gj=sj8)
Ron Paul for President - HQNH (http://ronpaul.meetup.com/6/?gj=sj8)
The Lowell Ron Paul 2008 Meetup (http://ronpaul.meetup.com/1241/?gj=sj8)

gcnlive.com
12-24-2007, 06:21 PM
We have just organized and would like to fly NH see if your meet up groups would like to sponsor it.

www.ronpaulaircorps.com

Thanks

Ted Anderson
t.anderson@gcnlive.com
Genesis Communications Network Inc.

ctblnpilot
12-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Lets go for it NH

The weather looks good for a balloon banner flight Friday morning and possibly something in the afternoon as well. We need a high vis launch site at least 5 miles E /SE from Manchester airport (Derry?), 100' x 100' with no power lines nearby, some volunteer set up crew and permission from the land owner and a reasonable motel nearby for us, arriving Thursday night. WMUR-TV has contacted me. Lets make this happen if we possibly can.
Frank
Ron Paul Balloon Team

whutaboutbob
12-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Lets go for it NH

The weather looks good for a balloon banner flight Friday morning and possibly something in the afternoon as well. We need a high vis launch site at least 5 miles E /SE from Manchester airport (Derry?), 100' x 100' with no power lines nearby, some volunteer set up crew and permission from the land owner and a reasonable motel nearby for us, arriving Thursday night. WMUR-TV has contacted me. Lets make this happen if we possibly can.
Frank
Ron Paul Balloon Team

Do you guys/gals need anything, I could probably help out a little with some $.

ctblnpilot
12-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Do you guys/gals need anything, I could probably help out a little with some $.

Sure, at some point we're going to need some help, thanks for the offer. We thought about selling some ride space on the balloon to cover expences. We've got enough money to cover motels, fuel to get up and back and do a few flights up there this weekend. So lets see what we can do first.

The main thing we need right now is a good visible launch site. A field or big yard or a parking lot just west of Rt 93 in Derry will let us fly over 93 and greater derry before heading into suburbia for a landing.

PS
I'll get some pictures up as soon as we get them. Anybody know if this forum support picture uploads?

jgmaynard
12-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Hey folks!

Great going! Can't wait to see it!

Here's a backup plan idea that I just thought of, should SE of Manch not work. 93/293 is our busiest highway running north/south. But the busiest one running east/west is 101. It's not as large as 93, but is VERY heavily traveled.

Temple, NH is right off of 101, maybe 30 miles by road SW from Manchester, and has a good-sized park.

Map of towns (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=temple,+nh&ie=UTF8&ll=42.950392,-71.628113&spn=0.449308,0.925598&z=10&iwloc=addr&om=1)

Map of park (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=temple,+nh&ie=UTF8&ll=42.819352,-71.850682&spn=0.003518,0.007231&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1)

It has plenty of clearance IIRC, it should be free because it's a park and I live in the town, you are basically right on 101 and can ride that all the way to Manchester (not even too far out of the way to pass over Nashua), then head north to Concord over 93 if you want!

Temple is also the town where the NH militia's march to Bunker Hill began, and there are Revolutionary War cannons in the park, a white church and corner store across the street for the TV cameras, and a FANTASTIC English Bed and Breakfast right there to stay and eat at. A little pricey (like $13 dinners), but worth every penny.

Just a suggestion for a plan B - always good to have one! :D

JM

ctblnpilot
01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
We just returned from 4 days working NH with the Ron Paul balloon team truck, dispite the lousey weather we did get the balloon up with the banner on it and tethered some RP supporters (including Vijay) at a sign wave near rt 93 north of Salem. I'll post a link to some video as soon as I can. We met a lot of oblivious people, like anywhere else for sure but out of the segment of engaged public I've got a good feeling about this race. We had people coming up to the truck looking for signs and buttons etc. There are a lot of us out of staters up there working to spread the word about Ron Paul and we've put up a lot of RP signs out on the highways and intersections. The sign wavers stationed at the mall of NH were giving out 2 or 3 hundred lawn signs a day to people who asked for them.
Frank B

here's a positive clip of volunteers I found on another site.
Gives you some idea of the weather we are dealing with up there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANZ7pzrTZiY

ctblnpilot
01-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Here's some fresh video of a banner flight we did yesterday morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrguWUHaUbY