PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of DVDs vs. handouts

aknappjr
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Seems to me a DVD costs $.50 or a dollar vs. $.02-$.04 per slimjim/leaflet.

From a cost/benefit analysis, it seems the leaflets/slimjims are more cost-effective at getting initial attention, and then if people are very interested in what he has to say and are near supporting RP, perhpas give them a DVD to find out more and seal the deal.

LibertyEagle
07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
I think that's a great approach and will allow us to target the DVDs much more efficiently.

Noodles
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Maybe a "coupon" on the bottom of the hand-out that they could fill out to request a "FREE DVD", or a phone number to call. Also, make sure to list some of the links for YouTube videos.

UtahApocalypse
07-09-2007, 09:53 AM
We have made DVD's for abour $.04 each. not sure where they got them but they are very good to use.

kylejack
07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
We have made DVD's for abour $.04 each. not sure where they got them but they are very good to use.

I'd be pretty interested to learn where you're getting blanks that cheap.

Original_Intent
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM

Wasn't it 40 cents each?

Color flyers aren't cheap either.

Bryan
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Certainly everyone needs to best balance out their time and money resources. My view is this, if you're talking with someone who seems receptive to Ron Paul that for sure get them a DVD. If you find a Ron Paul support give them some bumper stickers! Give everyone a push card / flyer of some kind and promote your meet-up.

We've got a group in our area that is leaving bumper stickers with every push card for every house they visit figuring its worth it ever if only a small percent are used. For some, this makes sense for others its too expensive.

$0.04 DVD's would be great- I've seen blanks at $0.10 each but you still have to burn them, etc.

Don't forget about the free push cards:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=4263

lucius
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I was filling up my car this morning with the usual streams of invectives, a virtual litany of vitriol especially reserved for George Bush, Dick Cheney and their collective ancestors and progeny. Three guys starting chiming in. Before much longer it all changed to “Get the troops home now!”, and “Who the hell is Ron Paul?” “A republican, don’t bullshit me?!” Fortunately, I carry pre-made bulk dvds, many that I have crudely compiled, for exactly these types of “moments” (I carry a binder of dvds tailored for certain segments of the population). Today, I’m going to make about 5,000 factoid one-sided business cards (from http://www.printsmadeeasy.com/) informing about Ron Paul, tailor made, to leave at the gas pumps. I will put my email address on it, so if anybody wants a dvd, I’ll send it to them. I give dvds to the ones who express and interest. I charge it all off to my business.

angrydragon
07-09-2007, 12:18 PM
“Who the hell is Ron Paul?” “A republican, don’t bullshit me?!”

Love that part! haha...

I wonder if this has happened. Two people (Bush supporter, war hawk, or democrat, etc...) in different areas, but who know each other, learn of Ron Paul through one person or group on the streets (or on the internet). They go home and phone, or meet up with them (buddy, family...) and one starts telling the other of Ron Paul. The other person says..."oh, I just heard about him too."

Swmorgan77
07-09-2007, 12:21 PM

From a cost/benefit analysis, it seems the leaflets/slimjims are more cost-effective at getting initial attention, and then if people are very interested in what he has to say and are near supporting RP, perhpas give them a DVD to find out more and seal the deal.

Yeah, I don't just hand out DVD's like candy. I give people a handout, try to guage their level of interest and ask them "would you watch a DVD if I give it to you".

Audio CD's, however are much much cheaper... they're more like .10 each if you look for sales, and they are much faster to burn. So far, all the cost is mine anyway. I give out the audio CD's more freely because people can take them right to their car and pop it in.

cac1963
07-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Wasn't it 40 cents each?

Color flyers aren't cheap either.

Color copies at the local print shop run about $.89 each. Where is everyone getting their color leaflets for pennies on the dollar?

And CDs/DVDs are running me a little over a dollar each to produce, and that's using grayscale labels and paper sleeves. The discs themselves are anywhere from $.10 - 0.50 each depending on where I get them.

aknappjr
07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
From the campaign. Call or email them (or have your meetup organizer do so) and they'll send you some. ronpaul2008.com

cac1963
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
From the campaign. Call or email them (or have your meetup organizer do so) and they'll send you some. ronpaul2008.com

We've got plenty of slimjim cards already. I was talking about the diy .pdf brochures that cover things in more detail.

AZ Libertarian
07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
There is no wrong answer here - it all works well for each individual. I don't hand out DVDs like candy either - they need to show some interest to get one. I don't give a pushcard to someone I think will throw it on the ground 20 feet away from me either. I can't keep enough bumper stickers though.

If I could, I'd hug each and every one of you posting on this thread.

I want my grandchildren to have what's guaranteed them in the Constitution, and I'm tired of crying.

God bless us all, and please God - help us to accomplish our goals.

jd603
07-09-2007, 04:47 PM
people LOVE DVDs. :)

..and if they are well put together and of good quality I think they're a bigger selling point for Ron. Sorry to say, I hate the current DVDs due to the Youtube quality though, so me and some others are working at pooling together some high quality clips so people can make higher quality DVDs.

Swmorgan77
07-09-2007, 04:48 PM

Oh BTW if you look for deals you can get DVD-R's for much cheaper than .50

Even at local stores if I watch for sales I can find them for about .25 (25 bucks for a spindle of 100) If you look online this is even easier.

Swmorgan77
07-09-2007, 04:49 PM
people LOVE DVDs. :)

..and if they are well put together and of good quality I think they're a bigger selling point for Ron. Sorry to say, I hate the current DVDs due to the Youtube quality though, so me and some others are working at pooling together some high quality clips so people can make higher quality DVDs.

We've got a good High Quality DVD here in Utah, I just don't know how to get it out to the larger community. I don't have the upload speed to host a torrent, nor the expertise...

aknappjr
07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Mail a copy to someone who knows how to upload an ISO. Mail it to one of the Iowa DVD Project people.