PDA

View Full Version : Non-voters for Ron Paul?

thompsonisland
07-09-2007, 09:38 AM
I am new to this board, but I am a longtime fan of Ron Paul. I am embarassed to admit that I supported W in his first election, but I like to think it was an honest mistake because I bought the "no foreign nation-building and lower taxes" line. However, after that fiasco I realized that I was really an anarcho-capitalist, more than a minarchist libertarian, and I stopped voting.

Fast-forward. Ron Paul is the only hope there is. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but I really believe it. Even if he serves 2 terms, I fear we will be back to business as usual in 10 years, but what an opportunity for freedom and growth, and the general prosperity that accompany those things, those years would be!

However, no matter how I slice it, democracy is still just organized mob-rule to me. Can I vote for Ron Paul and maintain my intellectual consistency and integrity? I am struggling with this. Of course, I live in Maine where it hardly matters anyway, but have others wrestled with this?

CodeMonkey
07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Somebody posted this link earlier: http://www.lewrockwell.com/block/block78.html

It should answer your very question.

thompsonisland
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks. I stopped here first instead of LRC; guess I should have done it the other way around.

Still chewing on the question, though, but I'll hang in there for Ron Paul!

AZ Libertarian
07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I made a button specifically aimed at non-voters:

TIRED OF THE CRAP?
NOWS YOUR CHANCE
RON PAUL = NOTA!

thompsonisland
07-10-2007, 09:11 AM
What does NOTA mean?

andrewgreve
07-10-2007, 09:29 AM
My plan is to vote for Paul, then go outside the polling place and protest democracy and advocate anarcho-capitalism :)

thompsonisland
07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
I think the points made in the Block article are helpful to me; if you care who wins, then vote.

Also, I realize there is something else at stake. People are dying, and Ron Paul will end the US involvement in this. Would I step in to save a life in spite of intellectual difference? Absolutely. Therefore, I have no problem voting for Ron Paul.

I am so relieved.

beermotor
07-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I am new to this board, but I am a longtime fan of Ron Paul. I am embarassed to admit that I supported W in his first election, but I like to think it was an honest mistake because I bought the "no foreign nation-building and lower taxes" line. However, after that fiasco I realized that I was really an anarcho-capitalist, more than a minarchist libertarian, and I stopped voting.

Fast-forward. Ron Paul is the only hope there is. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but I really believe it. Even if he serves 2 terms, I fear we will be back to business as usual in 10 years, but what an opportunity for freedom and growth, and the general prosperity that accompany those things, those years would be!

However, no matter how I slice it, democracy is still just organized mob-rule to me. Can I vote for Ron Paul and maintain my intellectual consistency and integrity? I am struggling with this. Of course, I live in Maine where it hardly matters anyway, but have others wrestled with this?

You're not going to get a chance to cast a vote for somebody like this for a little while. Or, better put, there hasn't been this chance before. At least not in my lifetime of 30 years. I'm going to be casting my first vote, ever, for Ron Paul. I think you should do the same.