PDA

View Full Version : Is this Linux XP operating system compatable??

alexa doherty
12-22-2007, 01:05 AM
I have windows Xp and it's not compatable for some reason so I need a new operating system(I don't want to discuss this aspect).

I have a Ron Paul video I made that I need to put on a DVD for a group of people who don't have computers. So I need to turn it from an .FLV file into an mpeg format via windows Media Coder.

Is this OS called Linux XP compatable with Media Coder?

I think it uses firefox as a browser. Also will it be compatable with other microsoft products or will it be a pain in the butt to deal with?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

debbie53
12-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Are you trying to learn how to use a new program on a new operating system, or just convert one or a few videos to a different format? I don't know Windows Media Encoder, but I do know Linux, as I have used it for over five years. I currently do not have a working Windows computer. Your video can surely be converted from FLV to MPG using native Linux applications. If you can make your FLV video available to me, I should be able to convert it and send it back to you.

coyote_sprit
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
I have windows Xp and it's not compatable for some reason so I need a new operating system(I don't want to discuss this aspect).

I have a Ron Paul video I made that I need to put on a DVD for a group of people who don't have computers. So I need to turn it from an .FLV file into an mpeg format via windows Media Coder.

Is this OS called Linux XP compatable with Media Coder?

I think it uses firefox as a browser. Also will it be compatable with other microsoft products or will it be a pain in the butt to deal with?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Linux XP attempts to put the user in a similar environment to XP but to do this it utilizes the Wine compatibility layer, Wine itself is good for some programs(mainly games) but for multimedia it's bad.

And word of advice "Never go for a shareware Linux distro."

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize this topic had aged before posting.

FrankRep
01-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Linux XP attempts to put the user in a similar environment to XP but to do this it utilizes the Wine compatibility layer, Wine itself is good for some programs(mainly games) but for multimedia it's bad.

And word of advice "Never go for a shareware Linux distro."

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize this topic had aged before posting.

Linux XP is new to me. Wow.

I may have to try it out.

http://www.linux-xp.com/