PDA

View Full Version : Looking for any Advice on calling my fellow Iowans and rallying my District for Ron

Driftar
12-22-2007, 12:59 AM
"Congratulations Joel! You are our new Precinct Captain for D74. I have CCed your County Chair in Scott County and we already collaborated. He should be your first point of contact. I have also attached your county’s registered republican voters list.

Thank you VERY much for your help!

Have a great holiday and be in touch!

Nena"

I emailed them back with some questions and will get a response tomorrow morning I’m sure, but I wanted to touch base with everyone on these forums and see if anyone had some suggestions.

I have a huge list of all the republican voters in my district (likely updated from last election?). I worked doing telephone surveys for over a year, so i have a fairly good repor over the phone. And i can deal with negative respondants.

1) What’s a good introduction? I was thinking:

“Hello, This is Joel E., A volunteer for the Ron Paul Campaign. I was just calling see if you intended to caucus this Thursday, and if you’d decided on a candidate yet. Is this a good time?

2)what do you guys think are the best issues to emphisize? The campaign has been sorta playing down the war a bit, but i think its still relevent to talk about taking care of our own borders rather than spending trillions overseas. I can also focus on his ideas to limit federal goverment spending, work toward eliminating the IRS, and his pro life record.

3) Should i try to keep most of the calls between perhaps 2/3 PM, and 7 or 8? or another time range?

me3
12-22-2007, 01:04 AM
bump

Driftar
12-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Wow... i realized i have 455 voters on this list... It's overwhelming but i'm excited all the same.

Driftar
12-22-2007, 01:21 AM
bump for liberty ;)

derdy
12-22-2007, 01:30 AM
You got the intro down especially if you can adlib.

I used to do "cold calls" for an IT consulting firm, so I'm pretty decent on the phone myself.

As for the issues.

Definitely mention the war, but tie it in with economic issues and the decline of the dollar. Our spendings over-seas HAS to cease or it will all collapse like a house of cards. Don't say it like that obviously, but everything is tied together. The war, spending, civil liberties, the dollar

I would definitely lead with the economy. Everyone feels the hurt when the economy is doing badly and we've only just begun.

If you can adlib rather well then it should be pretty simple. If you need help coming up with something, PM me and we'll talk. Not tonight though because I'm getting ready to go to bed.

Peaec
Denny

derdy
12-22-2007, 02:55 AM
blimp bump!

anyone else have any ideas? :confused: (and I know you do!)

bbachtung
12-22-2007, 02:56 AM
You may also want to target high school seniors who will be 18 years old by the November 2008 general election as they are eligible to caucus and will likely be receptive to RP's message and excited about joining the revolution.

thrillhouse
12-22-2007, 03:00 AM
Avoiding bashing fellow republicans, and make fun of hillary. One thing all republicans have in common is a strong dislike for her.

Good luck.

Energy
12-22-2007, 03:10 AM
2)what do you guys think are the best issues to emphisize? The campaign has been sorta playing down the war a bit, but i think its still relevent to talk about taking care of our own borders rather than spending trillions overseas. I can also focus on his ideas to limit federal goverment spending, work toward eliminating the IRS, and his pro life record.

Ask them.

If they come up blank, throw out some bait: "income tax? war? abortion? illegal immigration? etc."

Depending on conversation, you can add "RP is only one who can beat Hillary."

Like someone else mentioned, 17-year-olds can caucus if they are 18 on general election day.

Driftar
12-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Ask them.

If they come up blank, throw out some bait: "income tax? war? abortion? illegal immigration? etc."

Depending on conversation, you can add "RP is only one who can beat Hillary."

Like someone else mentioned, 17-year-olds can caucus if they are 18 on general election day.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

I made some quick notes on "nice" ways to approuch republican respondants who are leaning heavily toward one of the others, trying to just lightly point out why they aren't the best.

Guilliani- Concerned about his stance on immigration, second ammendment, and abortion as well- he may not get conservative support in the general election.

Romney- Nice guy and knowledgeable, but I’m concerned he's easily labeled as a flip flopper, and it's best to find someone with a cleaner record.

Huckabee- Good guy, but fiscally he's a bit liberal, and seems ready to continue big government spending.

McCaine- I respects him, and his military service, but he's been around awhile and hasn't been able to do much about spending, and he’s way out of touch on immigration.

Thompson- I don’t have a great way to “nicely” criticize Thompson lol, cause most people don’t know what he stands for.

PledgeForPaul
12-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far!

I made some quick notes on "nice" ways to approuch republican respondants who are leaning heavily toward one of the others, trying to just lightly point out why they aren't the best.

Guilliani- Concerned about his stance on immigration, second ammendment, and abortion as well- he may not get conservative support in the general election.

Romney- Nice guy and knowledgeable, but I’m concerned he's easily labeled as a flip flopper, and it's best to find someone with a cleaner record.

Huckabee- Good guy, but fiscally he's a bit liberal, and seems ready to continue big government spending.

McCaine- I respects him, and his military service, but he's been around awhile and hasn't been able to do much about spending, and he’s way out of touch on immigration.

Thompson- I don’t have a great way to “nicely” criticize Thompson lol, cause most people don’t know what he stands for.

Huckabee - has been written up by his state ethics committee 5 times for special interest money and not reporting it.

boondoggle
12-22-2007, 01:24 PM
blimp

hatefalseweight
12-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Huckabee / Christians - Ron Paul touts "just weights and measures " i.e sound money, not Centralized credit which is out of the communist manifesto, " just war theory" , "keeping oath to god to up hold the constitution i.e. congressional need to declare war and vote against anything not authorized by constitution , therefore he's never voted for unbalance budgetd,

"fathers instruct your children" - wants to abolish dept of education ; Israel - wants to let Israel destroy its enemies, i.e like back in 1982 when they had them cornered, we actually give surrounding arab states 3x more money and have trained and armed some of the worst palestinian elements over there (this is well known in Israel).

pro-life - actually authored legislation (sanctity of life) using ARt 3 Sxn 2 of constitution which lets congress exclude certain subjects from federal judidcial involvement - it was just used to keep courts out of the military commissions act, which did away with habeus corpus

Driftar
12-22-2007, 03:44 PM
I just got off the phone with a hardcore thompson supporter. I tried to "kindly" point out his inconsistant abortion record, but the guy brought up the National Right to Life. He wasnt going to budge and didnt like Paul... I persisted a bit, and brought up the fact that his support has dwindled, and the media has written him off, and he just isnt garnering the enthusiasm to last in a general election. The guy just didnt like Paul, and i didnt have much else to shoot back at him but i tried

Thompson i'd say is the toughest for me to work with when confronting a hardcore neocon. It's entirely different of course when i don't have to play nice... but these guys are caucus goers so i'm trying to find common ground and bridge Paul into it.

I've talked to several paul supporters on the list and informed them about meetup.com and these forums.

Adamsa
12-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Talk about immigration and the economy.

Jenna!
12-22-2007, 03:52 PM
This is from a youtube video which i don't have the link too, but the guy talks about how when promoting ron paul, you should always try to turn it around and ask them "what issues are concerning you today?" that way we are listening to them, working around their issues, and then giving us an opportunity to talk about RP.

me3
12-22-2007, 07:08 PM
bump

derdy
12-23-2007, 02:55 AM
I just got off the phone with a hardcore thompson supporter. I tried to "kindly" point out his inconsistant abortion record, but the guy brought up the National Right to Life. He wasnt going to budge and didnt like Paul... I persisted a bit, and brought up the fact that his support has dwindled, and the media has written him off, and he just isnt garnering the enthusiasm to last in a general election. The guy just didnt like Paul, and i didnt have much else to shoot back at him but i tried

Thompson i'd say is the toughest for me to work with when confronting a hardcore neocon. It's entirely different of course when i don't have to play nice... but these guys are caucus goers so i'm trying to find common ground and bridge Paul into it.

I've talked to several paul supporters on the list and informed them about meetup.com and these forums.

Did you lead in the conversation pointing out the flaws in Thompson's abortion record? If so, you lost him at the get-go. A lot of people like a candidate for a particular reason or reasons and they have strong faith in their convictions due to what the lame stream media feeds them. I think a Thompson candidacy is a play on fantasy, "He's great in Law & Order, he'd make a great President!"

I don't want to coach you w/o knowing exactly how the conversation went.

By the way, when I did cold calls at my former employer, we were required to do 100 a day AND go out on at least two appointments a day. :eek:

So, even though that list of 400 seems like it will take forever, challenge yourself. Out of those 400, I'd say at best you'd have 200 positive-contacts (anyone of voting-age at the residence) on the first try.

The ones that show interest, you need to get their name, address, etc. If they have Internet access (thank you DARPA) point the to www.ronpaullibrary.org and, if no Internet access and/or moderate computer skills, offer to send them literature and such through the mail. Identify those that are willing to listen and follow up with them in a week or less (given that the IA primaries are now less than two weeks away).

Also, you are in their voting district so that gives you the "neighbor" advantage. Utilize that. Be yourself and try to get to know these people and their concerns as best as you can, the Good Doctor has an Rx for everything ;)

I'm pretty slick, I must admit :D

Peace,
Denny