PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT CAMPAIGN CHANGER: Rethinking the "March on Washington"

Lucid American
12-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I wanted to start a new thread on this, because I think I've come up with something that could really be a revolutionary spin on this idea for MAXIMUM benefit to the campaign.

I (and others suggesting other days) had proposed earlier a march on Feb 1 to commemorate National Freedom Day (and Ron & Carol's anniversary), however . . .

I have rethought the idea, however, and would instead like to propose the following new (I think) idea for an unprecedented event on February 1st, 2008:

PROPOSAL:
- A VETERANS FOR RON PAUL March on the National Mall.
- EVERYONE ELSE MARCH ON THE CAPITOLS OF ALL SUPER TUESDAY STATES (listed below), and instead leave Washington to the veterans.

DETAILS:
- That's 22 states PLUS D.C..
- The VETERANS FOR RON PAUL march in D.C. will aim for the national spotlight and require, at minimum, a peripheral national media nod to the other marches all across the nation.
- The marches in the Super Tuesday states will aim to get local coverage where it counts and also maximize attention of the veterans supporting Paul in D.C..
- A chip-in might be required to fund travel for willing veterans to go to Washington. Everyone else can fend for themselves, and/or local meetup groups can coordinate bus trips to the local marches.

ADVANTAGES:
- This MAXIMIZES media attention and also concentrates that attention to the key focus areas with one last publicity "bomb" to inspire before the big day at the polls 4 days later.
- This also MAXIMIZES participation of Paul supporters, because it makes BIG marches on a regional and state scale -- i.e., it's far easier to drive a few hours than fly across country.

SUPER TUESDAY STATES:
Alabama, Alaska caucus, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado caucus, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho caucus, Illinois, Kansas caucus, Massachusetts, Minnesota caucus, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico caucus, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah

THINK ABOUT IT . . .
I think this is extremely practical and has potential to be a HUGE peak for the campaign right when it matters most! And best of all, we have plenty of time to get it done!

What are your thoughts?

pickfair
12-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I think it's a great idea, but we should get started right now in order to pull this off. Once we agree to this we need to contact the local meetup groups and the veteran supporters right away.

sirachman
12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
GREAT idea, this needs to be massively promoted. Id love to see this happen. I dont know if media would cover it but if we had signs it would attract attention from the public just like any other rally would except it would be MUCH bigger.

celticsman7
12-21-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm concerned there wouldn't be enough veterans at the National Mall to make it stand out. How many veterans could you get? 2,000? 4,000? Still, that doesn't take up much space on the National Mall. It'd be much better to have 20,000 to 30,000 Ron Paul supporters march on Washington. I think it'd get more attention.

Here's an idea. Have the veterans lead the march!

mosquitobite
12-21-2007, 09:40 PM
this was my suggestion on another thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=693100&postcount=47

Lucid American
12-21-2007, 09:42 PM
You don't think 2,000-4,000 military veterans putting aside their time to travel to Washington to head up a march would make the national news? Hell, I think that would be phenomenal.

I think it would be much more effective than having that many diluted across 22 states.

- 2,000-4,000 veterans would be sufficient to draw a main story in the nightly MSM heading into the weekend.
- The local marches would also be in the thousands and would be plenty to draw the local media's attention.
- I think the two would complement each other very effectively, and with a concerted effort among the meetup groups and the forums, this could have an incredible impact.

Ron2Win
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I think we need to make news to be noticed.

me3
12-21-2007, 09:44 PM
I know this will sound like I am crapping on your idea, but it's not meant with any ill intent.

Right now, we're less than 2 weeks from the primaries. While a march will certainly be called for during the general election ;) :D, right now, we're really need to keep our focus on a 50 state campaign, specifically turning out the vote.

A march like this is an impressive show, but as with many grassroots efforts, the MSM may decide not to cover it.

Lucid American
12-21-2007, 09:54 PM
I know this will sound like I am crapping on your idea, but it's not meant with any ill intent.

Right now, we're less than 2 weeks from the primaries. While a march will certainly be called for during the general election ;) :D, right now, we're really need to keep our focus on a 50 state campaign, specifically turning out the vote.

A march like this is an impressive show, but as with many grassroots efforts, the MSM may decide not to cover it.

No offense taken, but that sentiment is precisely why I thought this idea was a necessary amendment to the single massive march in Washington.

If we don't win the primaries and dominate on Super Tuesday, there won't be any presidential election for us. I think we need to keep doing what we're doing but drop off a lot of these interim "bombs" and gimmicks and channel them into this sweeping event blow these Super Tuesday states away with our optimism and heart.

Think of it . . . a swell of Ron Paul supporters strategically showing up to rally in the key cities of the key states just in time to participate in one last canvassing of the population centers of these states . . .

The veterans march would make it all the more influential and important. The media would not be able to deny it, and then we would already have boots on the ground where we need them . . . talk about SHOCK & AWE!

:D

gct
12-22-2007, 04:17 AM
www.ronpaulmarch.com is using New Year's Eve to get the large march idea off the ground then reassemble for the Super Tuesday March. Let's get it flushed out here so we can promote it appropriately.

greg

Yom
12-22-2007, 05:00 AM
Great idea! We should have both veterans and current military personnel show up in Washington in uniform for the march, IMO. We have to get the word out now, though and make sure that the D.C. turnout is as high as possible. The more veterans/active duty personnel (and reservists) the better. Seeing thousands of military men in uniform marching through the capital will definitely get attention! This thread should be stickied, and also renamed to make it clear from a glance what's going on.

american.swan
12-22-2007, 05:06 AM
of the 20 states on tsunami tuesday Feb 5, two are DEM only states as far as I know

american.swan
12-22-2007, 05:09 AM
Also I would like to discourage a march on DC solely because it won't be picked up nationally. There are marches of many many thousands of people for various causes and the march is ignored. So I have heard. So I think the march on 18GOP tsunami tuesday states or all 50 states capitals would be great. DC will be a waste in my opinion.

RTW DC2R
12-22-2007, 06:42 AM
sorry wrong thread

CelestialRender
12-22-2007, 06:42 AM
I think everyone marching in their state capitol -- primary/caucus or no, and vets included -- would be a better idea, and MUCH easier to pull off.

The DC march would be the hardest part to coordinate, and have the least possible payoff. If we march all across the nation, the national news is just as likely to cover it as they would be were it in DC.