PDA

View Full Version : Q about college, and GPAs (off topic)

TheNewYorker
12-21-2007, 05:19 PM
How important is it to get a high GPA in college?

I just got finished with my first semester. Because I had to work a lot this time of the year, I was only able to take 4 classes.

I just got the grades back from 3 classes. One was an A, one was a C-, and one was a D. I'm expecting the final class to be a B- or C+. Currently according to my account on the website, my GPA is 2.3. Will probably be 2.5 to 2.7 when my final class is graded. Ouch.

I'm not stupid or anything though. Like I said I work a lot and had some scheduling issues this semester. I missed a few tests, and in fact the class I got a C- on, I missed the final project which counted for 35% of the grade. If I was able to get all that stuff done, I know my GPA would be at least 3.7.

Anyway my question is, how important is the GPA really? When I finally graduate and get the degree, will the GPA be listed on the degree? Or is the GPA only useful for getting on "honors" or "deans list", which I don't really care about?

And how hard would it be to raise my GPA back up to an honorable number next semester? It will only be my second semester of the first year. If I get at least a B in all 5 classes next semester, what will that raise my GPA to?

Brennon
12-21-2007, 05:27 PM

I just got finished with my first semester. Because I had to work a lot this time of the year, I was only able to take 4 classes.

I just got the grades back from 3 classes. One was an A, one was a C-, and one was a D. I'm expecting the final class to be a B- or C+. Currently according to my account on the website, my GPA is 2.3. Will probably be 2.5 to 2.7 when my final class is graded. Ouch.

I'm not stupid or anything though. Like I said I work a lot and had some scheduling issues this semester. I missed a few tests, and in fact the class I got a C- on, I missed the final project which counted for 35% of the grade. If I was able to get all that stuff done, I know my GPA would be at least 3.7.

Anyway my question is, how important is the GPA really? When I finally graduate and get the degree, will the GPA be listed on the degree? Or is the GPA only useful for getting on "honors" or "deans list", which I don't really care about?

And how hard would it be to raise my GPA back up to an honorable number next semester? It will only be my second semester of the first year. If I get at least a B in all 5 classes next semester, what will that raise my GPA to?

How'd you get a C- when the final project was worth 35% of your grade?

100-35 = 65 = D

To answer your question, unless you plan to go to grad school, it doesn't matter. Even what subject your degree is in doesn't matter unless you're going into something specialized. College teaches you how to learn and study, and shows employers you can perservere--that's it. It doesn't magically make you smarter. Hell, I remember maybe 10% of what I learned in upper division classes and maybe 1% of the worthless stuff that was taught in general ed classes which are an absolute waste of time. Just my two cents.

TheNewYorker
12-21-2007, 05:28 PM
How'd you get a C- when the final project was worth 35% of your grade?

100-35 = 65 = D

i finished some extra credit stuff which added a few points back on.

dircha
12-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Your GPA is important for later entrance to a postgraduate degree program, will be important to getting your first internship, and will help - though not necessarily hurt - getting your first job.

It depends on your degree and career field.

You should talk to your adviser.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
And how hard would it be to raise my GPA back up to an honorable number next semester? It will only be my second semester of the first year.

It won't be so hard. Go to every class. No exceptions. Hung over, sick, don't feel like it, whatever. If you do that, it won't be so hard. The days you miss will be the days that professors rattle off a bunch of things and say "this will be on the exam." That's easy money. It saves a bunch of study time later, too.

If I get at least a B in all 5 classes next semester, what will that raise my GPA to?

C'mon, you can do the math on that.

jonahtrainer
12-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Education is the key to opportunity. Formal education where you receive degrees will open the door for you in many instances and give you more options. If you want more opportunity in your life (freedom) then you will need to do well in your educational pursuits.

Should you ever decide to attend law school your application will be promptly thrown in the trash with a 2.3. I am not sure what other graduate programs are like. While a GPA doesn't necessarily prove much; a high GPA is always better than a low one.

rodent
12-21-2007, 05:39 PM

GPA is very important, depending on industry. With grades like that, they're not going to hire you on Wall St. anywhere important unless you have good friends on the inside, have a good track record elsewhere, or unless you offer up your sister (and possibly your mother, if she still has it) as a low-cost prostitute to a good hedge fund manager. Other industries care less. Silicon Valley will hire a guy with low grades if he has good project work.

No good grad school will take you with those grades unless you get straight As from here on out and get killer standardized test scores.

However, in America, there is always a substandard school willing to take you in order to get money from the federal loan system.

paulpwns
12-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Don't worry about it. You are young. That D is dissolve if you do better in the future.

I have 2 F's from failing to withdrawal from classes and 4-5 C's, and I have a 3.45 GPA graduated.

Gorgy
12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Your GPA is important for later entrance to a postgraduate degree program, will be important to getting your first internship, and will help - though not necessarily hurt - getting your first job.

It depends on your degree and career field.

You should talk to your adviser.

This is very true. I blew off my first year in college and only later realized the damage I had done. Nothing is unsurmountable though. I manned up, handled academic business the rest of my career, and I was accepted to ivy league graduate institutions.

I also worked through college, but believe me, the majority of school work can be reduced to busy work that can be done and done amazingly well if you focus on what matters. Good luck and never give up. I didn't and now I'm doing things I never imagined possible while I screwed around as a kid.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
12-21-2007, 07:26 PM
John Kerry blew off his first year and made straight D's. So there is still hope for you.