PDA

View Full Version : USPS - another dumb beauracracy

fortilite
12-21-2007, 05:06 PM
So today I'm mailing out Ron Paul bumper stickers, got 19 packs of 50 each. Packed them so they look like booklets, that way I can send them media mail and cut the cost in half. Normally it works like a charm.

But this lady today was questioning me, she was really angry because of the Christmas rush and took it out on me. I told her they were stapled books. She said they weren't allowed media mail. I asked her why magazines were allowed, those are stapled. She then tore open my mail, ripped the tape off my pack inside the mail and told me I had to send it priority or postal - double the price!

So I was pissed at this lady, I kept asking her dumb questions, pretending that I was really going to choose between priority and postal. I wanted to keep her waiting longer, but it wasn't fair to the line so I left. Drove 5 minutes to the next postal office and they were accepted no questions asked.

What's the difference between a threaded book and a stapled book? The difference between a booklet and a booklet of bumper stickers? The difference between a CD and a cassette? Beats me, but one costs half the cost of the other one.

The only good thing about the government is it is so easily bypassed.

Dave Pedersen
12-21-2007, 05:10 PM
I have always had very good service from the USPS. A bunch of hard working people who deserve our respect. Sometimes they are very busy and as human beings can get tired and unhappy. Ever felt that way?

I bet you have. How were you treated? How did you want to be treated?

Oddball
12-21-2007, 05:11 PM
She committed a felony by opening mail that wasn't addressed to her!!!

fortilite
12-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Supposedly media mail gives them the right to open it.

Oddball
12-21-2007, 05:34 PM
K

Now I know something I didn't know before!! :)

joelfarm
12-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I apoligize for the attitude and ignorance of one of my fellow Postal workers. Guess what? We are people too, 'have a job such as many out there, has more and more work put on them and expected to do it 100% perfect. No it is not rocket science, but it is a job with a lot of stress and the demand to be there always, no matter what. I would contend, that the USPS is one of the few fedgov agencies that does a daily service fairly well. Yes there are conditions and rules that do not make sense, but I see that in any large orginazation.

I will close, I'm gonna kick-back this week-end and be proud, 'cause I saw alot of hard-working people this week bust their butts to get alot of stuff, to alot of Americans.

Michael Landon
12-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Supposedly media mail gives them the right to open it.

If you mail something "Media Mail", the US Postal Service does indeed have the authority to open the package to determine that the contents qualify for the "Media Mail" discounted shipping cost.

Not everyone will challenge you on the contents, which you obviously noticed when you were allowed to mail them off from a different Post Office.

As a USPS Letter Carrier, I'm sorry that you had such a horrible experience and I hope you continue to ship through the United States Postal Service.

- Michael Landon

Alex Libman
12-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Parroted to another BBS - http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=18267

bgky4paul
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
I apoligize for the attitude and ignorance of one of my fellow Postal workers. Guess what? We are people too, 'have a job such as many out there, has more and more work put on them and expected to do it 100% perfect. No it is not rocket science, but it is a job with a lot of stress and the demand to be there always, no matter what. I would contend, that the USPS is one of the few fedgov agencies that does a daily service fairly well. Yes there are conditions and rules that do not make sense, but I see that in any large orginazation.

As the spouse of a postal worker, I concur. There is a lot about the USPS that does not make sense. It a huge beaurocracy. In fact, my husband has coined the term "postal logic" around our house, which is defined as the opposite of actual logic.

Please try to ease up on the individual workers. There are good in bad in every profession, but these guys are put to the limit at this time of year. Peace.

Alex Libman
12-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Well, I'm sorry to hear that your husband can't get/keep a real, honest job and has to work for a mafia monopoly that's paid for with stolen blood money (taxes) and no one can opt out of.

Maybe if he studies real hard someday he'll be able to move up to UPS or FedEx, or at least manure delivery in the private sector. You can tell him I'm rooting for him!

mwkaufman
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, I'm sorry to hear that your husband can't get/keep a real, honest job and has to work for a mafia monopoly that's paid for with stolen blood money (taxes) and no one can opt out of.

Maybe if he studies real hard someday he'll be able to move up to UPS or FedEx, or at least manure delivery in the private sector. You can tell him I'm rooting for him!

Are you implying it's immoral to work for the government? Should Ron Paul refuse his Congressional salary? If there are market distortions that make working for USPS better, why should one work somewhere else?

Alex Libman
12-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not subsidize cheap junk-mail.

Thou shalt not put people in jail for not having a mailbox that fits your regulations.

Thou shalt not provide crappy service that people may not want and the private sector can handle much better if you'd remove the laws preventing competition in mail delivery.

idrake
12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Actually, the reason it's dumb is because UPS and/or FedEx use the USPS to ship many of their packages. They've figured out it's cheaper for them to send some mail and packages under the bulk-presorted rate via the USPS.

Nothing like subsidising private companies with our tax dollars.

rodent
12-23-2007, 10:32 PM

Kind of a rude thing to say, I think.

I believe the USPS is fully self-funded. Whether they're as efficient as FedEx or UPS is another question; however, I really don't think it's appropriate for you to be making character judgments on her husband.

Xanax Nation
12-23-2007, 10:43 PM

ATTENTION!!ATTENTION!!! JACKASS QUOTE OF THE DAY ATTENTION!ATTENTION!!
^
!

Rebel Resource
12-23-2007, 10:51 PM

The problem with anti-tax people is they often forget how many things they use free of charge that were bought with tax money.

Tax used for general society = Civilisation
Tax used for empire = Uncivilised
Tax used as welfare = Debatable

In the UK our post offices are getting privatised by stealth. Which means less and less of them, and every time to go to post a package you are offered credit cards and broadband. Things aren't like they used to be.