PDA

View Full Version : Million Patriot March?!

NoTaxationWoReprsentation
12-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Taken from another forum (honda-tech.com)

interesting idea from another thread

" million-[patriot] march for RP "

it could be a march, in support of RP, and a protest, against our current government. if something like this was organized I would try to make it if it was feasible. can you imagine the press that would receive?? could be similar to some of the great marches and protests of our history :thumbup:
I think this is a fantastic idea and something that we could organize before super tuesday. Thoughts on this one?!

jd603
12-21-2007, 04:05 PM
I think we should consider this!

Lets find out some stats on how big of a march we'd need to make it historic though! :)

I'm sure no matter how big, it will still be down-played by the old-stream media but it will be great anyway.

Edit: Re-reading the post , we shouldn't call it "a protest against eh government" per se. .. this does sound like tazer-bait.

Spike
12-21-2007, 04:07 PM
a million?

I think its still too early in the revolution to get that kind of numbers in one place..

maybe one hundred thousand but even that is pushing it I think.

Maybe I'm just pessismistic about the sheer size of our support, who knows really what our numbers are

12-21-2007, 04:08 PM
a million?

I think its still too early in the revolution to get that kind of numbers in one place..

maybe one hundred thousand but even that is pushing it I think.

Maybe I'm just pessismistic about the sheer size of our support, who knows really what our numbers are

obviously not a million, but not all million man marches actually draw a million people :)

TwiLeXia
12-21-2007, 04:09 PM
As many as possible - at a good location... perhaps NYC?

fedup100
12-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a taserfest to me.

rpfreedom08
12-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm with the apposing team from rx7club.com where we usually make fun of the "ricers" on hondatech however it seems like they have a better political grasp of reality then the rx7club community. What a damn shame, there are hundreds of thousands of people on the rx7club but little seem to care about this election and even less seem to care about ron paul however there is some good news. He is winning in the poll I created :)

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=700463

NoMoreApathy
12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Although the idea is awesome in spirit, it would probably never happen. It would be almost impossible to get a million people to one specific place in the country to do a march.

I can barely afford to get to work each day. If it were in Washington, I could make it, but could the financially struggling people in California afford to make it?

Probably not.

It would be possible if maybe it was organized for a while, and all Paul supporters started a fund drive so enough money could be raised and be divvied out to everyone who can't afford to make it.

But who would handle the money? How would people be trusted that it wouldn't be compromised, and the money just kept for something else?

amistybleu
12-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Why whould they taser when billie clubs and bullets are more damaging. :mad:

12-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Although the idea is awesome in spirit, it would probably never happen. It would be almost impossible to get a million people to one specific place in the country to do a march.

I can barely afford to get to work each day. If it were in Washington, I could make it, but could the financially struggling people in California afford to make it?

Probably not.

It would be possible if maybe it was organized for a while, and all Paul supporters started a fund drive so enough money could be raised and be divvied out to everyone who can't afford to make it.

But who would handle the money? How would people be trusted that it wouldn't be compromised, and the money just kept for something else?

Like I said, it doesnt have to be a million, but perhaps another solution to this is more decentralized rallies on the same day? Have a rally bomb or something?

NoMoreApathy
12-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Like I said, it doesnt have to be a million, but perhaps another solution to this is more decentralized rallies on the same day? Have a rally bomb or something?

That should be happening as often as possible locally. That's what meetups should be doing. But local rally-bombs, unless they consisted of THOUSANDS, and I'm talking 10,000 or more, probably wouldn't make it past local news.

I want the Evening World News outlets talking about our rallies, you know?

12-21-2007, 04:22 PM
That should be happening as often as possible locally. That's what meetups should be doing. But local rally-bombs, unless they consisted of THOUSANDS, and I'm talking 10,000 or more, probably wouldn't make it past local news.

I want the Evening World News outlets talking about our rallies, you know?

So then you support the million patriot march? :)
Here's a suggestion I saw at dailypaul.com: what if we coincided it with Ronpaulapalooza?

dsentell
12-21-2007, 04:23 PM

LOL! :D

Thanks . . . I needed that :D

BiPolarBear
12-21-2007, 04:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe have a central destination for every state or city...that would be pretty impressive.

uncloned21
12-21-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm with the apposing team from rx7club.com where we usually make fun of the "ricers" on hondatech however it seems like they have a better political grasp of reality then the rx7club community. What a damn shame, there are hundreds of thousands of people on the rx7club but little seem to care about this election and even less seem to care about ron paul however there is some good news. He is winning in the poll I created :)

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=700463

whats up with this guy?

Dude, why don't you give it a fucking rest until we get some fucking candidates.

Seriously, it'd be one thing if this poll didn't have the democrats and republicans lumped together. what the hell?

lol

BiPolarBear
12-21-2007, 04:26 PM
What we need is a national sign waive day. The details could be spread through the meetup groups and forums and blogs very quickly.

jd603
12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah re-reading the post, maybe we shouldn't call it a "protest AGAINST the government". However a march for Ron Paul's candidacy would make sense.

fuzzybekool
12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
I am down with this. Even 250,000 will look a million on the Neo-Con networks.

But when, how, where, ?

dsentell
12-21-2007, 04:30 PM

But when, how, where, ?

Doubtful ~

If the Old Media covered it at all, would photograph 2 people on the edge of the crowd and act like only a few showed up. :)

12-21-2007, 04:32 PM

But when, how, where, ?

The only place I see fitting is DC. The only time I see fitting is before super tuesday, but the weather might be harsh (but I guess that could add to the story right? :) I'd fly from 65* florida to stand out in the snow for a ron paul march in january for sure.

rpfreedom08
12-21-2007, 04:33 PM
whats up with this guy?

Dude, why don't you give it a fucking rest until we get some fucking candidates.

Seriously, it'd be one thing if this poll didn't have the democrats and republicans lumped together. what the hell?

lol

mehhh he's just pissy because he doesn't like ron paul. There are quite a few haters in the rx7club, witch is fine with me because it makes me want to get his name out there even more :) *give me that hatred, I feed off of it and convert it to goodness!*

12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
mehhh he's just pissy because he doesn't like ron paul. There are quite a few haters in the rx7club, witch is fine with me because it makes me want to get his name out there even more :) *give me that hatred, I feed off of it and convert it to goodness!*

not to be too off topic, but it looked like he's supporting paul and was commenting that he dislikes that his car forum doesnt really support ron paul (unlike honda-tech where I got this idea from)

fuzzybekool
12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Well, I think it is an awesome idea. The country needs to see that this is REAL and this movement is not going away gently into the night. Sometime before Super Tuesday also sounds logical. I have proposed this same idea in weeks past. I have no organizational skills, but if someone wanted to do it, we would need a website, and someone who can get all the meet up groups organized. WOW !

12-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Another thought too: we have the Ron Paul Blimp...imagine the overhead video footage from the blimp flying over hundreds of thousands of Paul supporters. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

BLS
12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
There's NO way that if we got 100k people together in one location and had Dr. Paul speak for us, that it wouldn't be on EVERY news channel across the world.

THIS HAS TO HAPPEN. ONE location, ONE message, ONE Country united for Freedom.

BLS
12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Another thought too: we have the Ron Paul Blimp...imagine the overhead video footage from the blimp flying over hundreds of thousands of Paul supporters. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

AMEN.....now this is what I'm talking about.

roversaurus
12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
We need to organize a huge Paul rally somewhere warm and dry.
South Carolina or near Atlanta for CNN.
We should be able to get 5000 easy. We should shoot for 10000.

Instead of a "Money Bomb" lets have a people bomb.

This time we will get media coverage.

jrich4rpaul
12-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I thought of this but never brought it up.

Let's do it

fuzzybekool
I agree. Just a march for Freedom. Nothing more. Nothing less.

kutibah
Awesome idea!

fuzzybekool
12-21-2007, 04:53 PM
How about Florida ? We can vacation , have fun, and have a massve people bomb, lol.

Troyhand
12-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Although a march would have an effect on the town it happens in, I don't believe the media will show it on TV.
Remember the tens upon tens of thousands of people that filled the streets of manhattan during the 2004 Republican convention? It was ignored by the MSM
A march would be a good way of sending a signal to the establishment, but I'm not sure whether the labor of such an effort will bear much fruit.

rpfreedom08
12-21-2007, 04:56 PM
not to be too off topic, but it looked like he's supporting paul and was commenting that he dislikes that his car forum doesnt really support ron paul (unlike honda-tech where I got this idea from)

huh? lol, I posted in the first page that yeah I don't like how the rx7club doesn't suport paul but the honda-tech forum does and then he asked me about the link I provided with the poll numbers and the guy that wrote "give it a rest, blah blah blah". So I was telling him that guy is just another rp hater.

12-21-2007, 04:57 PM
We need to organize a huge Paul rally somewhere warm and dry.
South Carolina or near Atlanta for CNN.
We should be able to get 5000 easy. We should shoot for 10000.

Instead of a "Money Bomb" lets have a people bomb.

This time we will get media coverage.
South Carolina is my second choice as well. Fairly centralized (at least for the east coast), warmer, early primary state, etc.
I dunno though. When I think of historical US marches, they all happen right there in the middle of DC :)

huh? lol, I posted in the first page that yeah I don't like how the rx7club doesn't suport paul but the honda-tech forum does and then he asked me about the link I provided with the poll numbers and the guy that wrong "give it a rest, blah blah blah". So I was telling him that guy is just another rp hater.
Misunderstanding, sorry. I thought you were flaming him

Yom
12-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe have a central destination for every state or city...that would be pretty impressive.

Exactly what I think. 50 different locations - one at each state capital or biggest population center (if much larger than the capital), plus D.C.. Think about it, if we planned it now, we could probably get it organized in time for Super Tuesday on Feb. 5th (i.e. before, so that it could influence it). Working on the local level, I think we really could get 1,000+ people at each capital/population center and rallies upward of 5k, 10k in cities like D.C., Atlanta, etc. Working on a state-by-state basis we could definitely get 100k+!

Of course, we'd have to work to get the MSM to notice. Let them know in advance, entreaty the official campaign to go around the networks (and make RP available on that day) and get things set up on that day. It'll have to be on a day where no caucus or primary is happening or about to happen, but it'll be hard to find such a day. MLK is on the Michigan & Nevada primary day, so that's probably out, but the Common Sense day (Jan 10th), a proposed money bomb day might work, although we'd miss out on influencing NH's primary

rpfreedom08
12-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Misunderstanding, sorry. I thought you were flaming him

no problem

12-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Here's another thought: Instead of 50 decentralized marches or one centralized one that not everyone can get to, what if we have two huge bicoastal marches? One in CA and one in DC (or SC). If we did SC/CA that would put weather out of the factor for the most part and I think we have MUCH greater chance of getting more press with the larger march(es).

cometfan
12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
LET'S DO IT! I already suggested this for December 16th, anything but a HUGE rally/march won't have any effect.

If not only one in NYC or DC, how about one on the east and one on the west coast? It could be DC and San Francisco and maybe be called "Freedom Coast 2 Coast". Many small rallies around the country won't make the old media take ANY notice, let's do this properly. How does January 25th sound?

I'm from Sweden so I would probably only be able to help online, but if this were to become reality I would participate in person in NYC, DC or any other city on the east coast. Still, I'm not really comfortable creating the first webpage since I probably wouldn't be able take part in most of the practical arrangements, other than spreading the word online. Is anyone with me? Please PM me or write here if you agree and maybe we could create that webpage together.

/Markus

EDIT: Sorry NoTaxationWoReprsentation didn't see your post until now. Seems like great minds think alike, though. :)

powertothepeople
12-21-2007, 05:54 PM
bump....

bucfish
12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Good idea and good timimng with the free at last money donation

12-21-2007, 06:12 PM
LET'S DO IT! I already suggested this for December 16th, anything but a HUGE rally/march won't have any effect.

If not only one in NYC or DC, how about one on the east and one on the west coast? It could be DC and San Francisco and maybe be called "Freedom Coast 2 Coast". Many small rallies around the country won't make the old media take ANY notice, let's do this properly. How does January 25th sound?

I'm from Sweden so I would probably only be able to help online, but if this were to become reality I would participate in person in NYC, DC or any other city on the east coast. Still, I'm not really comfortable creating the first webpage since I probably wouldn't be able take part in most of the practical arrangements, other than spreading the word online. Is anyone with me? Please PM me or write here if you agree and maybe we could create that webpage together.

/Markus

EDIT: Sorry NoTaxationWoReprsentation didn't see your post until now. Seems like great minds think alike, though. :)
lol your edit is funny because I was about to ask and see if someone would make the site since my HTML "skills" are limited to Frontpage :o

Jobarra
12-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Let's see... 1 million people who spent probably on average 8 hours travelling and marching. I wonder how many houses could actually be canvassed in 8 million manhours. But no, a march that may or may not be shown on TV is much better time spent.

Sorry, but if you want people to know about Dr. Paul, it's much more efficient to just canvass and talk to them. Not to mention the travel expenses for 1 million people would be a very nice addition to other grassroots efforts or the campaign itself.

12-21-2007, 06:40 PM
As far as efficiency time-wise, I dont think it would be a waste of time. I've done a LOT of canvassing and thousands others have as well. I think of this as national canvassing: people in this country often follow a herd mentality, so perhaps if they see thousands of people marching on our capitol maybe they'll say "wow, those are some dedicated supporters...I sure dont see *insert MSM candidate* having marches that huge. Perhaps i'm missing out on something?"

SaratogaForRonPaul
12-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I saw we do it New Year's Eve in Times Square. We cleverly spread out RP signs throughout the crowd and say its the largest Ron Paul rally ever!

:)

RTW DC2R
12-21-2007, 09:03 PM
hello all, Im glad to see some interest in this. if the other march is already planned out and confirmed, then maybe we dont need to worry about this one. in any case, I will comment below.

guys...this cannot be small scale. if this is done, it needs to be huge. otherwise the MSM will make it out to be "just a bunch of local rallies across the country". we cannot have that. it needs to be big enough where they cant say a damn thing about it except WOW.

i havent had time to look up the primary schedules, but I suggest we plan this thoroughly with plent of time to get the word out and enable people time to make arrangements to attend. and as was already mentioned, I think this would serve just as well as canvasing an area, if not better. people like to follow the leader in situations like this and if one or two people see the passion and force behind RP, they will want to be apart of it.

As far as the location, I cant see it being anywhere other than DC in front of the WH. all that attention near the WH will force the media to take notice. they wont have a choice. the bad part about that is that the Blimp would probably not be allowed in that airspace so I dont know how we would work that.

another thing Im worried about is the legal aspect of it. dont you need some kind of permit or something to rally or have a demonstation?

keep the ideas coming. Im thinking of a way to get a domain name set up.

FrankRep
12-21-2007, 09:05 PM

Expose the government for what it is -- and put it on Youtube.

mosquitobite
12-21-2007, 09:12 PM
How about instead of a million patriot march or any huge rally in one place we have like a baton hand off?

Theoretically, how fast could a liberty baton make it across country? How many people would it take?

What if we plan a route, and we have people pledge to walk for a certain mile? If it works well, maybe we have two? maybe have an east/west and a north/south route?

We could either pass a baton (a rolled Constitution) or something like the liberty (olympic) torch?

RTW DC2R
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
unfortunately I dont think that is enough. have you ever watched the torch for the olympics? the idea behind it is wonderful, but its old fashioned and people dont really care for it after all these years. that means people wont care to even watch or pay attention to the coverage, if it even made the news. i dont know if it will get the job done.

a peaceful march for freedom to support a candidate like RP, in front of the WH, complete with a Blimp, has never been done before.

fuzzybekool
12-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I understand the posts I am seeing through-out the thread of people liking the idea, but not being able to go or can't afford to go. Some are skeptical about actually drawing a million people. Even if 250,000 showed up, it would still be sending a statement against the status quo.

I don't know, but how did the civil rights marches organize themselves with no internet and the technology we have today to get information out almost instantaneously ?

Is it possible to have a Freedom March Money Bomb ? Have a date certain ( on a week-end) as to when it will be ? Organize through the meet-up groups and myspace and facebook, along with a dedicated website (FreedomMarch.com) ? Use the money raised through the money bomb to get buses and buses of people along with accomodations , tents, food, and stuff ? Just thinking out loud here.

smartguy911
12-21-2007, 09:32 PM
i say we do this . Get the site going and get people to sign up. If you not so sure, start a poll and ask.

RTW DC2R
12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
I will register a domain name for this, but I dont know anything about building the site, hosting it, choosing a good name, etc. if someone wants to give me some pointers let me know. millionpatriotmarch.com/org is taken already. millionpatriotmarch08.com/org are still available.

at the very least maybe i can get something generic up so we have something central to go by as far as dates, times, locations, and other plans.

mosquitobite
12-21-2007, 09:37 PM
unfortunately I dont think that is enough. have you ever watched the torch for the olympics? the idea behind it is wonderful, but its old fashioned and people dont really care for it after all these years. that means people wont care to even watch or pay attention to the coverage, if it even made the news. i dont know if it will get the job done.

a peaceful march for freedom to support a candidate like RP, in front of the WH, complete with a Blimp, has never been done before.

;) old people care.

What if we have 4 parts to liberty and a rally in the middle of the US?

So basically someone on the East Coast starts a pass off with a rolled Constitution. Someone in the North starts with a torch. Someone on the West Coast starts with a a piece of gold or a dollar bill or something? Someone in the South starts with? And in the middle we have a huge rally?

Maybe somewhere that wouldn't normally be considered for such a rally and therefore makes big news?

mosquitobite
12-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I will register a domain name for this, but I dont know anything about building the site, hosting it, choosing a good name, etc. if someone wants to give me some pointers let me know. millionpatriotmarch.com/org is taken already. millionpatriotmarch08.com/org are still available.

at the very least maybe i can get something generic up so we have something central to go by as far as dates, times, locations, and other plans.

RonPaulMarch.com is already up. Perhaps we can work with him?

gct
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Just came across this thread thanks to someone sending me an email <wink>.

I started this site a few days ago: www.ronpaulmarch.com

Check it out. Spread the word.

MadViking10
12-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Vegas?

RTW DC2R
12-21-2007, 09:50 PM
thank you for your support. that is a great option for those looking for rallies and marches in their local area.

however, I think we should step it up a notch. as I stated before I dont think the media will even notice a bunch of small rallies across the country on a given day, which means it wont reach people through TV in their homes. if anything a few local people will see and hear the RP supporters nearby, which will be positive, but not on a large enough scale in my opinion. not o nly that but it doesnt l eave much time to spread the word and get ppl out there.

time for bed, I will pick this up tomorrow.

mmarcman22
12-21-2007, 10:01 PM
I think a march is a great idea but it should only be held in one city. I think the best choice is a democratic state like California. It will get the attention of all and we could covert some of those democrats

12-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I think a march is a great idea but it should only be held in one city. I think the best choice is a democratic state like California. It will get the attention of all and we could covert some of those democrats
That's why i'm pushing for the bicoastal rally. Both DC and CA have their advantages. They have downsides too, namely: CA is too far for east coasters and DC is too far for west coasters. IMO, it'll be the easiest way to maximize turnout if we get the word spread fast enough. We should really try to have a site setup for this tomorrow so we can start going viral with it.

nc4rp
12-21-2007, 10:13 PM
its agood idea, but we need to really be selective about what we focus on. i heard about a ghandi vigil and i guess with all the creative Paul supporters that theres gonna be alot of big ideas and we cant do them all.

mosquitobite
12-21-2007, 10:17 PM
That's why i'm pushing for the bicoastal rally. Both DC and CA have their advantages. They have downsides too, namely: CA is too far for east coasters and DC is too far for west coasters. IMO, it'll be the easiest way to maximize turnout if we get the word spread fast enough. We should really try to have a site setup for this tomorrow so we can start going viral with it.

I think I agree with me3 on this. People spending their money to travel to one spot that could instead be sent to the campaign or to the OLFD or the like seems too big of something to do this early.

The reason I suggested "pledging" a mile is because people don't have to travel to do that. I can take a mile in my city and meet up with someone else close to me.

Of course the east/west, north/south path would also make a cross ;) LOL!

mmarcman22
12-21-2007, 10:18 PM

I agree, one city in the East Coast and the Other in the West Coast.

Lucid American
12-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Here was my spin on the idea. I think it is far more practical and has a much better chance of yielding the desired effect. Please respond with your thoughts on the below idea at this link, so things don't get confused.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=63129

PROPOSAL:
- A VETERANS FOR RON PAUL March on the National Mall.
- EVERYONE ELSE MARCH ON THE CAPITOLS OF ALL SUPER TUESDAY STATES (listed below), and instead leave Washington to the veterans.

DETAILS:
- That's 22 states PLUS D.C..
- The VETERANS FOR RON PAUL march in D.C. will aim for the national spotlight and require, at minimum, a peripheral national media nod to the other marches all across the nation.
- The marches in the Super Tuesday states will aim to get local coverage where it counts and also maximize attention of the veterans supporting Paul in D.C..
- A chip-in might be required to fund travel for willing veterans to go to Washington. Everyone else can fend for themselves, and/or local meetup groups can coordinate bus trips to the local marches.

ADVANTAGES:
- This MAXIMIZES media attention and also concentrates that attention to the key focus areas with one last publicity "bomb" to inspire before the big day at the polls 4 days later.
- This also MAXIMIZES participation of Paul supporters, because it makes BIG marches on a regional and state scale -- i.e., it's far easier to drive a few hours than fly across country.

SUPER TUESDAY STATES:
Alabama, Alaska caucus, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado caucus, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho caucus, Illinois, Kansas caucus, Massachusetts, Minnesota caucus, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico caucus, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah

idiom
12-21-2007, 10:38 PM
The anti-WTO people will show up if invited. Then you also need the Move-On.org people.

There are a lot of very angry people who don't yet realise that they agree completely with Ron Paul.

The number would work but RP would need to talk to the leaders of other organisations. I don't know if he has the faith for that yet.

But yeah you could rally the people, you could shut down Washington for several days. Then it would be a movement oh yes indeedy.

tropicangela
12-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Have fun ya'll, march for us mamas that are stuck at home with the kiddos. No way can we pick up and go for this w/them. If you come to Florida, then we'll talk!

mmarcman22
12-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Have fun ya'll, march for us mamas that are stuck at home with the kiddos. No way can we pick up and go for this w/them. If you come to Florida, then we'll talk!

We'll have to do a chipin to get you gals to attend

RTW DC2R
12-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Here was my spin on the idea. I think it is far more practical and has a much better chance of yielding the desired effect. Please respond with your thoughts on the below idea at this link, so things don't get confused.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=63129

PROPOSAL:
- A VETERANS FOR RON PAUL March on the National Mall.
- EVERYONE ELSE MARCH ON THE CAPITOLS OF ALL SUPER TUESDAY STATES (listed below), and instead leave Washington to the veterans.

DETAILS:
- That's 22 states PLUS D.C..
- The VETERANS FOR RON PAUL march in D.C. will aim for the national spotlight and require, at minimum, a peripheral national media nod to the other marches all across the nation.
- The marches in the Super Tuesday states will aim to get local coverage where it counts and also maximize attention of the veterans supporting Paul in D.C..
- A chip-in might be required to fund travel for willing veterans to go to Washington. Everyone else can fend for themselves, and/or local meetup groups can coordinate bus trips to the local marches.

ADVANTAGES:
- This MAXIMIZES media attention and also concentrates that attention to the key focus areas with one last publicity "bomb" to inspire before the big day at the polls 4 days later.
- This also MAXIMIZES participation of Paul supporters, because it makes BIG marches on a regional and state scale -- i.e., it's far easier to drive a few hours than fly across country.

SUPER TUESDAY STATES:
Alabama, Alaska caucus, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado caucus, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho caucus, Illinois, Kansas caucus, Massachusetts, Minnesota caucus, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico caucus, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah

good morning all,

I think your idea above is excellent, however, I think just trying to organize it, manage it, spread the word effectively in a short amount of time, etc, make it so that idea wont be as effective as a single or bi-coastal march. we dont have a lot of time, therefore, this needs to be simple and not exclude anyone or for anyone inparticular (ie veterans). it needs to be for everyone.

I am beginning to lean toward a bi-coastal march. it would definitely make it easier for people to attend, but still has the potential to have a lot of people show up and make a statement.

CelestialRender
12-22-2007, 07:19 AM
State capitols, definitely. We don't have the ability at this point to stage a massive-enough demonstration on a national single-target. But we could have some serious fun on the state level.

RTW DC2R
12-22-2007, 07:21 AM
ALL, I have registered FREEDOMMARCH08.ORG. Activation is still pending, could take 12-48 hrs. Please bear with me as I have never made a website before and this will be a work in progress.

Things we need to do:

- determine a date - it must work in line with the primaries and preferably coincide with a special date in history, if possible.
- determine locations(s) - one central, or 2 bi-coastal
- find out if anything legal needs to be done (ie permits)
- notify the Blimp (lol)
- SPREAD THE WORD!

Once we get more detailed info, we can create a new thread with all the details and information. If anyone has any other ideas or wants to help out in any way, let me know.

Lucid American
12-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I think your idea above is excellent, however, I think just trying to organize it, manage it, spread the word effectively in a short amount of time, etc, make it so that idea wont be as effective as a single or bi-coastal march.
Explain to me how trying to convince everyone to drop their outside lives and open their wallets for several-days long trip to travel across the country in an event that in all likelihood won't get anything more than a momentary mention in the MSM is more worth planning local marches.

RTW DC2R, your site would be just as effective in conveying the march to concentrate in the Super Tuesday states, and the dispersed marches will have a greater impact.

People, the voters outside those states won't matter at all on Super Tuesday, and while one or two oceans of Ron Paul supporters on one day will make US feel good, this plan will really do more harm than good.

Think about it . . .
first off, in competition with last minute campaigning in those states, you hurt your turnout for people who will be willing to attend a massive march, because those people will (or should) be busy in the Super Tuesday states.

secondly, anyone who drops off their local duties in those states who travels to the massive march is hurting Paul's chances in those Super Tuesday states.

At first I thought a single march was a great idea, and I applaud the concept and you taking the initiative to kick off the website and everything. But I think if you dig deeper into the options, you'll find that marches instead dispersed to the capitols of the TARGET STATES, you will:
- greatly increase turnout
- maximize political impact, and
- maximize financial resources of the grassroots due to decreased travel expenses.

The infrastructure is in place through the meetup groups -- the planning would take on a life of its own.

I really think one or two massive marches would be in the end be both self-serving and self-defeating.

RTW DC2R
12-22-2007, 09:10 AM
I appreciate your input and I agree to several points. As I stated before I am new to this and have not done anything like this before and am open to suggestion.

But I have a question regarding local rallies and marches. Isnt that the job of the local supporters already in place? That do this on a daily basis? They are already out there doing what they can. But they only reach so many people in that local area. And I think with that foundation already in place, the next step would be take it to a national level, and demand MSM attention by having huge amounts of people united for one purpose in a central or bi-coastal location.

There are still people out there who do not know who RP is. The local rallies and meetups only reach so many people locally. I think something larger is needed as the icing on the cake, so to speak, to reach people in their homes through media. Those people that arent sure who they are voting for, the ones that are likely to "follow the leader" and vote just to vote. Those are the ones we need to get to.

If a large march was scheduled on a weekend, I cant see it being THAT difficult for people to take a drive and meet up for a day. For instance, if it were in DC, that is 6 hours south of me. That can be done in a day if I wanted to with no problem. Then you have people 6 hours south of DC, and thats a majority of the East Coast that are in arms reach and could possibly attend, assuming they felt the same way I did about traveling and making it a day trip.

SeanEdwards
12-22-2007, 09:13 AM
My suggestion is to announce a day to protest the federal reserve system with marches to each regional fed bank followed by demonstrations in front of all of them. This would be a nationwide event that would attract media attention to a major element of the RP platform, and it would demonstrate support for RP.

Lucid American
12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
But I have a question regarding local rallies and marches. Isnt that the job of the local supporters already in place? That do this on a daily basis? They are already out there doing what they can. But they only reach so many people in that local area. And I think with that foundation already in place, the next step would be take it to a national level, and demand MSM attention by having huge amounts of people united for one purpose in a central or bi-coastal location.

OK, there are currently, what, 80,000 members of meetup groups across the nation? Think about those 80,000 members distributed across 22 Super Tuesday state capitols. Considering some meetup members will not be able to attend, and other unknown non-meetup members will also attend, I definitely think an average of 4-5,000 marching per state is realistic.

To your point, yes, the local meetups are constantly doing things in their own areas, but this is a chance for them to all collaborate strategically on a national event to put Paul over the top on Super Tuesday.

There are still people out there who do not know who RP is. The local rallies and meetups only reach so many people locally. I think something larger is needed as the icing on the cake, so to speak, to reach people in their homes through media. Those people that arent sure who they are voting for, the ones that are likely to "follow the leader" and vote just to vote. Those are the ones we need to get to.

My point is that 100,000 people in one place getting a chance peripheral mention on the evening news and a sidebar story on CNN.com is a bigger event but does not pay off where it counts as effectively as what I'm proposing.

Again, when people are stuck in their cars listening to the radio, they are more likely to hear about a big event going on in their city or state than they are about something a thousand or more miles away -- LOCAL NEWS IS A NECESSARY TOOL! Especially when Super Tuesday will rely on so much local support.

This idea is two-fold: it garners attention of the national media through the veterans march on Washington (possibly even without this march, but the Veterans march would greatly aid it), and local attention where it counts by leveraging a high concentration descending upon these major locations from the surrounding regions, not just the city or locale.

If a large march was scheduled on a weekend, I cant see it being THAT difficult for people to take a drive and meet up for a day. For instance, if it were in DC, that is 6 hours south of me. That can be done in a day if I wanted to with no problem. Then you have people 6 hours south of DC, and thats a majority of the East Coast that are in arms reach and could possibly attend, assuming they felt the same way I did about traveling and making it a day trip.

Yes, but how far away is Washington and Sacramento from Kansas City and Austin, TX?

Again, a look at the states on Super Tuesday regionally:

Southeast (collaborate with FL, SC, NC, KY, MS)
Alabama
Georgia
Tennessee

Southwest/West (collaborate with UT, NV)
Arizona
California
New Mexico

New England (Collaborate with OH, VA, WV, PA, MD, VT, ME, etc.)
Connecticut
Delaware
Massachusetts
New Jersey
New York
Rhode Island

Other states (you get the picture)
Idaho
Utah
North Dakota
Illinois
Minnesota
Missouri
Oklahoma
Colorado
Arkansas
Kansas

Alaska (sorry, AK's kinda alone up there :))

The quest is a nationwide difibrulator -- not a smug not on the outro of Nightly News.

nbhadja
12-22-2007, 03:21 PM
How about Florida ? We can vacation , have fun, and have a massve people bomb, lol.

Great idea ;)

RTW DC2R
12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
well I have no say in what local or regional meetup groups do, that is up to them. so if they feel similar to the way you feel, then a national or bi-coastal meet will just conflict so I guess I will cancel any plans I had for the march. if anyone wants to continue with it, let me know and I will give you the information for the site and you can run with it.

The Plan
12-22-2007, 04:30 PM
why not do it at the republican national convention? we would have plenty of time to organise it. I don't think this one is out of reach.

MrCobaltBlue
12-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Don't know if this joke's been said but..

Maybe we'll see Mitt Romney there... being aware of us...

Lucid American
12-22-2007, 08:36 PM
well I have no say in what local or regional meetup groups do, that is up to them. so if they feel similar to the way you feel, then a national or bi-coastal meet will just conflict so I guess I will cancel any plans I had for the march. if anyone wants to continue with it, let me know and I will give you the information for the site and you can run with it.

I just don't know -- regardless of what happens, I just think it needs to be debated to make sure the result comes from thorough discussion.

I'll start up a new thread addressed to meet up group leaders to see their thoughts. They would, of course, be key to whatever takes place.

Peace. :)