PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the blimp will be grounded

adam1mc
12-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Well it looks as though the Blimp will be grounded after today. I'm sure the beloved 'old media' is going to have a field day with this news. :(

I can see the headlines now: Paul supporters unsuccessfully 'bomb' the Blimp

We are still $89,060 away from the necessary $400,000 to keep the blimp aloft. There are lots of media people who were really looking forward to their blimp ride. I dread what these people will write about us.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN.

Donate to the blimp today!

www.ronpaulblimp.com

austin356
12-21-2007, 02:10 PM
the anti-blimpies have won :(

Real_CaGeD
12-21-2007, 02:11 PM
I did a 25 dollar purchase. All I have.

LFOD
12-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Wait a minute. Don't spread rumors. Where is the information saying it will be "grounded" ?

cicatrice
12-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I thought $400,000 was a goal of sorts. Does this mean it goes down immediately?

ronpaulfan
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM

I doubt anyone in this forum is anti-blimp.

Trevor mismanaged it and we had weather problems. He has to earn back our trust (and he is too stubborn to email an apology letter out to the TeaParty mailing list)

Scruffy the Janitor
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Scruffy ain't pleased.

Ozwest
12-21-2007, 02:14 PM
This is conjecture. Let this thread die.

adam1mc
Wait a minute. Don't spread rumors. Where is the information saying it will be "grounded" ?

We NEED $400,000 by the end of the day. We are currently $89,060 short. We've only collected about $25,000 today. At this pace, the blimp WILL be grounded.

No links, no articles. Just pure economics. We NEED $90,000 come on people! We can do $6 mil in one day but not a lousy $120,000?

JosephTheLibertarian
what a rip off. they had it up for a few days, now it's going down for good? thieves

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
They have made it clear that it will be flying even if the deadline is not met. I'm not sure if it will be extended etc., but certainly, the blimp won't go down tomorrow. It's just a rumor spread to get the money ASAP.

Sean
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM
I doubt 300k only lasts 11 days.

adam1mc
12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
This is conjecture. Let this thread die.

It's not meant to be conjecture. It's meant to be a motivator. I don't want to see the blimp go down either and I DREAD what Old Media will say.

saahmed
12-21-2007, 02:16 PM
How come the organization in charge of the blimp has not said anything? There is nothing on the blimp site that lends to the notion that the blimp will be grounded if the money is not raised. They are not even asking for immediate funds.

USAF Vet Dan
12-21-2007, 02:17 PM
From http://ondecember16th.com/

**Big Change of Plans**
December 21st, 2007 by Katharine Memole
Ok folks,

We are all very disappointed to inform you that the weather has made a switch this morning. We are looking at low clouds (so low the blimp may not be visible in the air) all the way to New York and once we get there. The blimp doesn’t have enough lift right now (helium) to fly at the altitudes required for flying on instruments and 3 of the bungees securing one of the banners broke. So, we are headed back to Elizabeth City, NC to get the banner fixed and get out of the clouds so we have good visibility. A YouTube video update will be made available shortly.

On a more pleasant note, the weather will be much more predictable as we head south and we should be able to give supporters and media much better notice about where we’ll be. We’ll be reviewing the weather as the bungees are secured and the banners inspected and deciding where to go next. With your generous support the Ron Paul Blimp Tour could run past mid-January and even into February. So, even if the weather does not look good for the north in the near future it will remain on the table as an important target location.

Thank you for your support.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
How come the organization in charge of the blimp has not said anything? There is nothing on the blimp site that lends to the notion that the blimp will be grounded if the money is not raised. They are not even asking for immediate funds.
They have a horde of noobs to do it for them on these forums :D

adam1mc

You are right. And I'm not sure why they haven't sent an email. But from the main page at www.ronpaulblimp.com :

As a next step, we need to receive $400,000 in total sponsorships by December 21st to keep the blimp in the air through the New Hampshire primaries.

That tells me without the money on Dec 21st the blimp won't be in the air on the 22nd.

LFOD
They have made it clear that it will be flying even if the deadline is not met. I'm not sure if it will be extended etc., but certainly, the blimp won't go down tomorrow. It's just a rumor spread to get the money ASAP.

Rumors like this could very easily have the opposite effect and stop people from donating.

What the blimp project needs more than anything is accurate information and a lot more of it.

JosephTheLibertarian
we should get an extra day everytime they don't fly the blimp

JordanL
12-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I doubt anyone in this forum is anti-blimp.

Trevor mismanaged it and we had weather problems. He has to earn back our trust (and he is too stubborn to email an apology letter out to the TeaParty mailing list)

I was one of the most anti-Trevor people here when I joined.

What you claim is completely, utterly, totally false, and I know it from talking with the blimp staff first hand. Trevor mismanaged nothing. The grassroots mismanaged themselves. Look the in the mirror, not out the window.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:20 PM
It's not meant to be conjecture. It's meant to be a motivator. I don't want to see the blimp go down either and I DREAD what Old Media will say.
Ok, but don't spread your speculations when you have no idea about the contract between the blimp company and Trevor's crew.

USAF Vet Dan
12-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Perhaps you missed this!

From http://ondecember16th.com/

**Big Change of Plans**
December 21st, 2007 by Katharine Memole
Ok folks,

We are all very disappointed to inform you that the weather has made a switch this morning. We are looking at low clouds (so low the blimp may not be visible in the air) all the way to New York and once we get there. The blimp doesn’t have enough lift right now (helium) to fly at the altitudes required for flying on instruments and 3 of the bungees securing one of the banners broke. So, we are headed back to Elizabeth City, NC to get the banner fixed and get out of the clouds so we have good visibility. A YouTube video update will be made available shortly.

On a more pleasant note, the weather will be much more predictable as we head south and we should be able to give supporters and media much better notice about where we’ll be. We’ll be reviewing the weather as the bungees are secured and the banners inspected and deciding where to go next. With your generous support the Ron Paul Blimp Tour could run past mid-January and even into February. So, even if the weather does not look good for the north in the near future it will remain on the table as an important target location.

Thank you for your support.

stefans
12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
I'd rather see it in the air, but I can understand why people don't want to spend too much on it.
the plan was big sport events and stuff like that. not being "also-mentioned" in a few news articles that would have been written anyway.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
What the blimp project needs more than anything is accurate information and a lot more of it.
Well, for now they can't even reveal what company they represent due to legal reasons (whatever they are - that's a secret as well), so maybe they are swamped with more important tasks right now than updating their website. Who knows.

LARRY08RP
12-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Couldn't the official Campaign help with a little bit of money?

Why we should still seperate the Grassroots Support and the official Campaign?

It would be good if they spent some money for actions like the blimp or the dvd bomp and so on.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:25 PM
The grassroots mismanaged themselves.
How come?

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I'd rather see it in the air, but I can understand why people don't want to spend too much on it.
the plan was big sport events and stuff like that. not being "also-mentioned" in a few news articles that would have been written anyway.

The college bowl season starts in earnest this week. There's really not a lot of "big sport" events going on until then.

Myerz
12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Why can't we say....Look what we did that no other candidate did.....We had a blimp!

All you losers who are crying about it.....how long did expect to keep the blimp in the air anyways?

BeFranklin
12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Perhaps you missed this!

Lets see - 200K to keep it in the air a few days (worth it as a publicity stunt), for blimp company.

110k for the 400k goal that isn't met, because the blimp is flying back to the hanger again.. = 110k extra. Not worth it. Where is this going?

I'm sorry for anyone that donated about the 200k. I put money in too, with the risk that the publicity was, but the project has pretty much been #(*$(# after that. It could have also worked passed the launch, but isn't. Also, the money was suppose to buy time in the air, and it hasn't been in the air that much.

shadow26
12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Ok, but don't spread your speculations when you have no idea about the contract between the blimp company and Trevor's crew.

I don't see any speculation. Their own website says they need $400,000 by December 21st. That's today. They don't have it. If they park the blimp permanently tonight (and that's IF); the media will go into a frenzy. THAT'S a GUARANTEE.

Libertarian
12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Come on...Can't the owner give us a discount so we can have time to raise the cash? I thought he was an RP supporter..

stefans
12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
The college bowl season starts in earnest this week. There's really not a lot of "big sport" events going on until then.

so? I don't see any plans to fly to sport events or political rallies(e.g. obama) or anything else with a lot of people and TV coverage.

only flying around new hampshire, and now with the bad weather maybe not even that.

rfbz
12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
honestly, it's nice to keep the blimp in the air and hopefully it does, but I highly doubt the media is going to make anything out of it. If it just stopped flying they wouldn't even notice. So it's a little silly to use that argument to get people to donate. But, I would like to see the blimp staying around - they worked hard to get it where it is, would be ashame to just pull the plug on it. Is it really true that if they don't get a certain amount by tonight, then the whole thing is finished?

orion846
12-21-2007, 02:30 PM
it must be exhausting being drama queens

mcgraw_wv
12-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Here's an Idea, why not ask the owner of the blimp to fork of some donation and run it fro free for a little...

Im mean seriously, you guys have asked for aton of money and got it, and then right after that, asked for a TON more...

It does not cost over 100,000 a week to pay for, and operate a blimp... I'm sorry...
If he has a ton of customers lined up waiting for his blimp, then free market economics, which Paul is a huge supporter of, says he needs to go make his money.

adam1mc
12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I think Ron Paul should donate the $500 from the Stromfront guy to the blimp cause.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't see any speculation. Their own website says they need $400,000 by December 21st. That's today. They don't have it. If they park the blimp permanently tonight (and that's IF); the media will go into a frenzy. THAT'S a GUARANTEE.
Search the forums - those folks are here as well and said it WOULDN'T be grounded if the money is not collected. So all the drama in this thread and others is a speculation. Unless we treat the website as the one and only official source of information on the blimp.

mcgraw_wv
12-21-2007, 02:38 PM
IMHO, It set sail too soon... It was not planned correctly. It went with one banner, so for some days we got 50% effectiveness for the money, and with bad weather, it has barely been able to get out of the carolina's...

I rather have the Campaign have the 400k to buy more Commercials and radio spots right now then a blimp that since being launched, has only got one line remarks in PoDunk Times papers...

ROI, is not worth the amount of money that has gone into it, vs the effect it has had.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Come on...Can't the owner give us a discount so we can have time to raise the cash? I thought he was an RP supporter..
The 350k/month is a discounted price already. I'm not sure what is the regular price, but I remember initial posts by Elijah, who said he could get a discount and rent the blimp for only 350k/month. So they need 350k + 50k for other expenses. But who knows if that can't be negotiated down. We will probably find it out tomorrow :)

Jobarra
12-21-2007, 02:39 PM
If I remember correctly, the blimp wasn't even scheduled to be in use during this time(due to probably the weather problems during winter). Not sure how many other customers he has lined up. Would love to see the campaign actually buy out 2 months of time starting Jan 1st and replace the "Google Ron Paul" with a flatout "Vote for Ron Paul for President" instead since the campaign would be financing it directly. The blimp has already proven that it generates interest whereever it goes. Hopefully the campaign will pick it up for a month or two. I think that would generate more interest than one of the 30 second ads being run for a month or two which would probably cost about the same amount. A blimp has pretty much a 100% audience whereever it goes. How much does a TV commercial running for 30 seconds have?

DJ RP
12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Well they've collected over 100,000 extra dollars so the blimp better ride for at least another week!

TwiLeXia
12-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Ron Paul HQ can't put some money into this to keep it alive?

mcgraw_wv
12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Since it's white, and its the most supreme thing in the sky, maybe we can get DOn Black to fund it ;)

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Here you go, sir:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=690210&postcount=5

EDIT: CAN WE STOP THE DRAMA NOW?

JPFromTally
12-21-2007, 02:59 PM
You gotta admit it's pretty cool looking:

http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/images/sightings/102_1291.jpg

mcgraw_wv
12-21-2007, 03:00 PM
You gotta admit it's pretty cool looking:

http://www.ronpaulblimp.com/images/sightings/102_1291.jpg

That is awesome!!!
It's very cool, and a great idea... I just wish it wasn't so expensive to maintain... people, the grass roots are drying out...

adam1mc
12-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Here you go, sir:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=690210&postcount=5

EDIT: CAN WE STOP THE DRAMA NOW?

I'm not trying to create drama. I just don't want to see the blimp go down.

Nothing from that link says that the blimp will stay up. I'll stick with what RonPaulBlimp.com says. It says we need money by the 21st to keep it in the air.

What happens if we can't come up with the cash? Do we lose the blimp forever or will it remain grounded until we can come up with the funds??

We will be hung by our toenails and lashed with wet noodles until we come up with the money.

Printo
12-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I understand Google employees have donated a good deal of money to the Official Ron Paul Campaign but I feel that Google the company should fork over some big bucks since its free advertising for them!

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Nothing from that link says that the blimp will stay up.
Nothing says that the blimp will be grounded tomorrow, as you suggested. So as it is in the air now, the logical conclusion of those 2 facts is that it will stay in their air until they run out of time/cash. So stop saying it will be grounded if not enough ad time is bought today. You have been corrected by the blimp spokesperson already.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 03:09 PM
I understand Google employees have donated a good deal of money to the Official Ron Paul Campaign but I feel that Google the company should fork over some big bucks since its free advertising for them!
I guess they wouldn't like to be connected to any political stuff as a company. Just as with any others. They do it only behind the curtains :)

wfd40
12-21-2007, 03:11 PM
its too bad we couldn't divert some of that 6million to help fund grassroots efforts..

SEEING AS HQ IS BEING COMPLETELY SILENT ON WHAT THEIR PLANS ARE.

adam1mc
12-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Nothing says that the blimp will be grounded tomorrow, as you suggested. So as it is in the air now, the logical conclusion of those 2 facts is that it will stay in their air until they run out of time/cash. So stop saying it will be grounded if not enough ad time is bought today. You have been corrected by the blimp spokesperson already.

Well if I have been corrected by a "blimp spokesperson" then someone needs to get the official Blimp website updated. Because that states otherwise...

As a next step, we need to receive $400,000 in total sponsorships by December 21st to keep the blimp in the air through the New Hampshire primaries.

pacelli
12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Well it looks as though the Blimp will be grounded after today. I'm sure the beloved 'old media' is going to have a field day with this news. :(

I can see the headlines now: Paul supporters unsuccessfully 'bomb' the Blimp

We are still $89,060 away from the necessary $400,000 to keep the blimp aloft. There are lots of media people who were really looking forward to their blimp ride. I dread what these people will write about us.

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN.

Donate to the blimp today!

www.ronpaulblimp.com

The blimp blog says that there are damaged bungees and a helium issue which requires the blimp return to NC to sort out. Since it won't be airborne while it is being repaired, our purchased air time won't be used, right? Remember, we are buying time in the air, not on the ground. Gives us more time to bomb the payments. Hopefully now that the blimp organizers will be on the ground for awhile, they can set up the long-promised credit card payment on the site to make it easier for those that don't want to use google. I've donated several times using google payments. Most recently today.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Well if I have been corrected by a "blimp spokesperson" then someone needs to get the official Blimp website updated. Because that states otherwise...
Well, that's a good suggestion. But maybe there's a reason it has not been corrected? I could see at least 1 good reason. :D

Rebel Resource
12-21-2007, 03:22 PM
We've gotta stop hassling board members, the blimp cannot depend on a single board. If the blimp has support from the great mass of people who see it on Youtube, then it will get funded. If the fundraising efforts are too poor to get money from these people, its not the responsibility of us here to go into debt for the blimp.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Since it won't be airborne while it is being repaired, our purchased air time won't be used, right? Remember, we are buying time in the air, not on the ground.
Although I followed a lot of the blimp discussion I'm still confused about this particular issue. If someone has a definitive answer to that (the best would be a direct link to the forum post made by any blimp employee/volunteer), I would appreciate it.

rfbz
12-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Here's an Idea, why not ask the owner of the blimp to fork of some donation and run it fro free for a little...

Im mean seriously, you guys have asked for aton of money and got it, and then right after that, asked for a TON more...

It does not cost over 100,000 a week to pay for, and operate a blimp... I'm sorry...
If he has a ton of customers lined up waiting for his blimp, then free market economics, which Paul is a huge supporter of, says he needs to go make his money.

yeah really, just how many customers does this guy have lined up? if it wasn't for Ron Paul supporters, would it just be sitting around collecting dust?

mconder
12-21-2007, 03:35 PM
$89,060

What a colossal waste of the other 300K+. It's really sad this has happened!

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 03:39 PM
$89,060

What a colossal waste of the other 300K+. It's really sad this has happened!
Nothing new happened, nothing's lost for now. Read the posts above you.

stevedasbach
12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
You are right. And I'm not sure why they haven't sent an email. But from the main page at www.ronpaulblimp.com :

That tells me without the money on Dec 21st the blimp won't be in the air on the 22nd.

No, that means that without the money on Dec 21st, there won't be enough money to the blimp in the air through the New Hampshire primaries. They've raised over 3/4 of the money whch should keep the it in the air for 3/4 of the time.

rooteroa
12-21-2007, 05:02 PM
If it really gets grounded then the Blimp project is pathetic. I'm sure they could take out a loan to pay for the other $89,000 until its donated. Total bullshit.

dircha
12-21-2007, 05:08 PM
If all that money raised so far only kept that stupid thing afloat for a week, and it was late to boot, I can't think of a worse project to direct contributions to. I don't even believe you guys.

Just think what that money would have gotten us in targeted radio and television advertising in the early states. A TON more than the coverage the blimp got.

You guys keep plastering these forums crying for donations, and you're supposedly a business. Well as a business you're doing a piss poor job of making your case to your potential investors.

LAME

jake
12-21-2007, 05:08 PM
disappointing, why isn't the official website kept up to date? :(

tnvoter
12-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm going to donate, thnx for keeping us aware.

happyphilter
12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
they could all just not pay themselves at all and put it towards the blimp project.

enjerth
12-21-2007, 05:20 PM
The drama... of everyone complaining about how it wasn't worth it.

What, are so many of you surprised that you have to pre-pay for a rental? (Yes, the blimp is a rental.) You don't think you should have to come up with the money for a full month so soon? A week is too soon to turn around and fly back? You think you should be able to rent the blimp on a day-by-day basis instead of monthly or a half-month basis? This isn't a U-Haul.

I can't imagine that the rental company would eat the loss on the poor weather, delaying the launch by 4 days, or the time it would take to fly back and land the blimp. So many of you are being unrealistic. The blimp has been rented for nearly a half month and it's time is up, unless we pay out.

The biggest mistake made was overestimating the support of the grassroots. But even then, there was more than $400,000 in pledges. If everyone who pledged gave, we wouldn't be having this conversation! It's been 2 weeks since they switched from a pledge drive to a funding drive, but the funds haven't materialized.

enjerth
12-21-2007, 05:21 PM
they could all just not pay themselves at all and put it towards the blimp project.

Yeah, that's gonna keep it in the air for another hour. That'd be the perfect solution.

ronpaulitician
12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
If all that money raised so far only kept that stupid thing afloat for a week, and it was late to boot, I can't think of a worse project to direct contributions to. I don't even believe you guys.

Just think what that money would have gotten us in targeted radio and television advertising in the early states. A TON more than the coverage the blimp got
The Blimp got a lot more attention that I thought it would've.

mokkan88
12-21-2007, 05:25 PM
The blimp has used about 4 or 5 days of airtime and I think they already covered the month lease. They have a few days of airtime left as long as its used before the lease runs out.

tnvoter
12-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Save the blimp!

areyou4real
12-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I supported the blimp project and still do.

That's not to say that I don't think a few things should be changed going forward.

IMO,

1) Communication from the blimp team should be more frequent and more forthcoming. A lack of communication leads to doubt and a loss of confidence. For instance, what happens if 400k is not raised by tonight? How much blimp time is left based on the current amount? These are basic questions any sponsor would want answers to. Put this info on the blimp website where it can be readily found by all sponsors, not just the ones who browse this forum.

2) Seek and respond to sponsor feedback. People will be more apt to continue giving, if they feel like their concerns have been heard. Put polls on the blimp website asking sponsors what they want. Have a suggestion box and give sponsors options.

3) Establish a specific flight plan and do not deviate from it. If that means heading south so the weather is no longer a factor, so be it. This will allow local RP supporters on the ground to get the word out and prepare for the blimp's arrival ahead of time. This will result in much better media coverage of the blimp's travels (which in turn raises the awareness of Dr. Paul's message to the general public). After all, that is the whole purpose of the blimp project, isn't it?

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Yeah, that's gonna keep it in the air for another hour. That'd be the perfect solution.
LOL, exactly. Their salaries are nothing compared to the costs of a rental. And anyway, they have not been paid so far - at least that's the official word on that, so...

FreeTraveler
12-21-2007, 05:37 PM
You are right. And I'm not sure why they haven't sent an email. But from the main page at www.ronpaulblimp.com (http://www.ronpaulblimp.com) :

No, read it again. They said they need it by the 21st to keep the blimp in the air through the New Hampshire Primaries, which are in January! The funds raised so far should keep it in the air for some additional days, just not all the way to the primary.

Mark
12-21-2007, 05:37 PM
It may have only flown because supporters had to ensure that the campaign wasn't embarrassed by all of the pre-flight hype saying it would fly.

Mismangement was a big issue for some. Motives for others.

Not saying it true. I repeat. Not saying it's true. Just my thought, but,
for Elijah to register on the forum, and 4 days later ask people outside of the U.S. to send him money,
because he wouldn't have much to give on the 16th moneybomb,
and then say he needed $1000/week and expenses paid to equal what he made at his old job was suspicious.

If he was making $52,000/year already, why be so broke as to not have money to give on the 16th?

I appreciate the effort to initiate a new marketing ploy for RP and their desire to start their own company,
but it may have been too much for them to organize so quickly with limited experience.

And their request to be paid so much at first was unreasonable IMO.

10 people most of us don't really even know wanting the grassroots to support them with $1000/week plus expenses,
was a bit "over-reaching" perhaps.

Often, people who start new companies have to make incredible personal sacrifices at first.

IMO, a payroll of $10,000/week plus expenses doesn't sound like a sacrifice, more like an extravagance.

transistor
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
what a ridiculous waste of money

areyou4real
12-21-2007, 05:41 PM
I can't imagine that the rental company would eat the loss on the poor weather, delaying the launch by 4 days, or the time it would take to fly back and land the blimp. So many of you are being unrealistic. The blimp has been rented for nearly a half month and it's time is up, unless we pay out.

AFAIK, the blimp team never said that. That's part of the problem - their communication is lacking. The only thing on the website is "As a next step, we need to receive $400,000 in total sponsorships by December 21st to keep the blimp in the air through the New Hampshire primaries." It's not clear exactly how much time the 300k+ raised so far has bought us and whether it's an all or none deal.

The biggest mistake made was overestimating the support of the grassroots. But even then, there was more than $400,000 in pledges. If everyone who pledged gave, we wouldn't be having this conversation! It's been 2 weeks since they switched from a pledge drive to a funding drive, but the funds haven't materialized.

Not true again. A large amount of the $400,000 in pledges was a scam by a Paul hater. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=44336

American
12-21-2007, 05:41 PM
It flew, it made a few headlines online, some coverage on TV but its served its purpose.

Good bye Blimp.

Mark
12-21-2007, 05:44 PM

The rental company even gave them a break on the length of rental.

They usually require a minimum 3 month rental period contract. About $1 Million upfront.

NerveShocker
12-21-2007, 05:47 PM
This blimp is critical to our grassroots campaign. It had given us good national coverage and amazing local coverage. Naturally, some people hear that the blimp has to land for some banner repairs and are taking this as an oportunity to say the blimp is grounded for good. Please ignore such senseless statements as it's completely untrue. The blimp is being grounded to repair but will be right back up after that.. Those who are against the blimp seem to jump to conclusions.. somebody even called them thieves.. I really wish those who are saying things against the blimp and are also Ron Paul supporters would re-evaluate exactly what they are accomplishing by attacking the blimp. It only accomplishes division amongst members and usually leads to big arguements. This of course is exactly what some what to happen to Ron Paul supporters, we have seen how far they will go to damage our grassroots so far.. I understand some people join these forums with no intent to support Ron Paul at all but just to cause trouble(Read admin post on trolls at top of screen). We can't let these types fool us with false statements that we fall for. The blimp is simply repairing the banner so it won't fall off the blimp never to be seen again.. After that we still have much more air time and even if we don't get the funds today we still have time we bought previously. Everywhere this goes the local media and people are ALL OVER IT! If you think the blimp isn't having a big impact then it's probably because you either don't live in the local areas it passed by, or you havn't read the tons of articles about the local media and people loving the blimp. Everywhere it goes its arrival is announced on TV and people on the ground say everyone was out of their houses to watch it pass. Ignore the threads that try to take cheap shots at the blimp and its runners. They have done everything we wished and all those people who claimed earlier that they were just going to take our money and fly nothing were proved completely wrong. Support the blimp! Don't cause division or allow others try to cause division in our grassroots.

www.RonPaulBlimp.com

fogger
12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
I supported the blimp project and still do.

That's not to say that I don't think a few things should be changed going forward.

IMO,

1) Communication from the blimp team should be more frequent and more forthcoming. A lack of communication leads to doubt and a loss of confidence. For instance, what happens if 400k is not raised by tonight? How much blimp time is left based on the current amount? These are basic questions any sponsor would want answers to. Put this info on the blimp website where it can be readily found by all sponsors, not just the ones who browse this forum.

2) Seek and respond to sponsor feedback. People will be more apt to continue giving, if they feel like their concerns have been heard. Put polls on the blimp website asking sponsors what they want. Have a suggestion box and give sponsors options.

3) Establish a specific flight plan and do not deviate from it. If that means heading south so the weather is no longer a factor, so be it. This will allow local RP supporters on the ground to get the word out and prepare for the blimp's arrival ahead of time. This will result in much better media coverage of the blimp's travels (which in turn raises the awareness of Dr. Paul's message to the general public). After all, that is the whole purpose of the blimp project, isn't it?

Excellent comments. Someone send them to Trevor.

I'd also add improving their website to that list:
- the front page shows the banner installation
- a total of 4 pictures on the sightings page
- i've never seen the live video feed working (if that's not working, they should concentrate on other content)

Let blimp supporters support the blimp by telling them when and where. They should be kept IN the loop because they are the ones really running it.

shadow26
12-21-2007, 05:50 PM
This blimp is critical to our grassroots campaign. It had given us good national coverage and amazing local coverage. Naturally, some people hear that the blimp has to land for some banner repairs and are taking this as an oportunity to say the blimp is grounded for good. Please ignore such senseless statements as it's completely untrue. The blimp is being grounded to repair but will be right back up after that.. Those who are against the blimp seem to jump to conclusions.. somebody even called them thieves.. I really wish those who are saying things against the blimp and are also Ron Paul supporters would evaluate exactly what they are accomplishing by attacking the blimp. It only accomplishes division amongst members and usually leads to big arguements. I understand some people join these forums with no intent to support Ron Paul at all but just to cause trouble(Read admin post on trolls at top of screen). We can't let these types fool us with false statements that we fall for. The blimp is simply repairing the banner so it won't fall off the blimp never to be seen again.. After that we still have much more air time and even if we don't get the funds today we still have time we bought previously. Everywhere this goes the local media and people are ALL OVER IT! If you think the blimp isn't having a big impact then it's probably because you either don't live in the local areas it passed by, or you havn't read the tons of articles about the local media loving the blimp. Everywhere it goes its arrival is announced on TV and people on the ground say everyone was out of their houses to watch it pass. Ignore the threads that try to take cheap shots at the blimp and its runners. They have done everything we wished and all those people who claimed earlier that they were just going to take our money and fly nothing were proved completely wrong. Support the blimp! Don't cause division or allow others try to cause division in our grassroots.

www.RonPaulBlimp.com

Word.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 05:51 PM
NerveShocker, it's sometimes very wise to use the ENTER button. Reading your post is a real pain...

adam1mc
12-21-2007, 05:53 PM
This blimp is critical to our grassroots campaign. It had given us good national coverage and amazing local coverage. Naturally, some people hear that the blimp has to land for some banner repairs and are taking this as an oportunity to say the blimp is grounded for good. Please ignore such senseless statements as it's completely untrue. The blimp is being grounded to repair but will be right back up after that.. Those who are against the blimp seem to jump to conclusions.. somebody even called them thieves.. I really wish those who are saying things against the blimp and are also Ron Paul supporters would re-evaluate exactly what they are accomplishing by attacking the blimp. It only accomplishes division amongst members and usually leads to big arguements. This of course is exactly what some what to happen to Ron Paul supporters, we have seen how far they will go to damage our grassroots so far.. I understand some people join these forums with no intent to support Ron Paul at all but just to cause trouble(Read admin post on trolls at top of screen). We can't let these types fool us with false statements that we fall for. The blimp is simply repairing the banner so it won't fall off the blimp never to be seen again.. After that we still have much more air time and even if we don't get the funds today we still have time we bought previously. Everywhere this goes the local media and people are ALL OVER IT! If you think the blimp isn't having a big impact then it's probably because you either don't live in the local areas it passed by, or you havn't read the tons of articles about the local media and people loving the blimp. Everywhere it goes its arrival is announced on TV and people on the ground say everyone was out of their houses to watch it pass. Ignore the threads that try to take cheap shots at the blimp and its runners. They have done everything we wished and all those people who claimed earlier that they were just going to take our money and fly nothing were proved completely wrong. Support the blimp! Don't cause division or allow others try to cause division in our grassroots.

www.RonPaulBlimp.com

I'm not sure who you're calling a troll... And I don't think that anyone has said the blimp was getting grounded due to repairs.

You obviously didn't read the thread at all.

WE NEED MONEY. Plain and Simple.

No trolls, No negativity. We just need money.

I'm not sure where you got the idea otherwise.

NerveShocker
12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
It's very simple... If you think 0 people have entered these forums to cause trouble and hurt our grassroots your mistaken. Where you got me confused is I think is that you think I'm saying anyone who says anything bad about the blimp is a troll. This of course is not the case, but there are some who are here (Agent provocateurs as they are called) who do try to cause trouble, but they are only a small minority. They look at controversial topics such as this one and make outrageous statements to cause turmoil. I heard one that said that they're grounding the blimp (for good) and that the people running the blimp are thieves. This was a complete lie, and I doubt came from a real Ron Paul Supporter. The blimp will be grounded and repaired (I don't know what you mean you never heard its going down for repairs because that is the case...) then it will be back airborne for the remainder of the time which we have already paid for. I'm not saying people shouldn't criticize the blimp if there is something wrong and its constructive critism. I am saying some are using this as an attempt to make false statements and demoralize us/divide us. There is even an admin post on top of the forums about "Trolls" so they do exist. They are in very small numbers but they know how to cause trouble and are out there.. I think people need to recognize the difference between straight out criticism and constructive criticism.

werdd
12-21-2007, 06:08 PM
i doubt its going down for good, i think this is just to push us through january, and with 310k weil likely get 3/4ths of january so its fine.

Mark
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Well, for now they can't even reveal what company they represent due to legal reasons (whatever they are - that's a secret as well), so maybe they are swamped with more important tasks right now than updating their website. Who knows.

Do you mean the advertising company? - They created a private LLC for it themselves. It's their company, Trevor, Elijah ect.

The Blimp owner is well know, don't have a link now.

Mark
12-21-2007, 06:54 PM
This blimp is critical to our grassroots campaign.

It's clueless comments like that that in part make it seem ridiculous.
How stupid do you think people are?

The blimp isn't critical for anything. Maybe for their advertising company to use for publicity references.

It's not critical for the Campaign, not for the grassroots.

Can you imagine how far over $300,000 would have gone to help supporters on the ground in NH and Iowa?

It's a CRIME to take that much money away from those efforts.

We could have RWNED those states with that much extra grassroots funding.

Brian
12-21-2007, 06:57 PM
The market speaks. Period.

dc74rp
12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
From www.ronpaulblimp.com:

Well, seems like plain English to me, if you read it plainly.

$400,000 is required to keep it in the air through the NH primary.

When does the NH primary end?

Not on Dec 22. So I'm assuming the blimp isn't going to be grounded tomarrow. They just don't have enough to keep it in the air until the end of the NH primary.

LFOD
12-21-2007, 07:05 PM
This blimp is critical to our grassroots campaign.

The blimp is neither critical nor non-critical. It is one part of the interdependent web of conditions which will determine this election. This web includes you and me, it includes this very post on the internet. Who can fathom its depth? We simply move forward in faith but not knowing. :D

Mark
12-21-2007, 07:06 PM
It's clueless comments like that that in part make it seem ridiculous.
How stupid do you think people are?

The blimp isn't critical for anything. Maybe for their advertising company to use for publicity references.

It's not critical for the Campaign, not for the grassroots.

Can you imagine how far over $300,000 would have gone to help supporters on the ground in NH and Iowa?

It's a CRIME to take that much money away from those efforts.

We could have RWNED those states with that much extra grassroots funding.

Not to mention how much grassroots and other time it's taken away focusing on this.

4 threads on it on the front page here. Untold thousands and thousands of hours spent.

How could that time have been spent in grassroots campaigning? It's mind boggling.

NerveShocker
12-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Well man, while I respect your opinion, I respectfully disagree. If you lived in or near the areas the blimp has flown I think you might agree. The blimp is getting some national coverage (on Msm today a few times for example) but its greatest success is the local media and people. I think you should read all the articles about the blimp and hear how people who saw it say everywhere they looked people were out of their homes looking up at the blimp. This was of course no coincidence. It was because the local media is all over the blimp and every location it goes to they have been announcing its arrival so people can go out and see it. This means every city it flies over it is on the local media and our name recognition which is our biggest issue is being helped. Its a flying advertisement for Ron Paul that is moving all over the east coast, but also its the first blimp that is supporting a president. I look forward to your response and don't want to make an argurement about this instead a debate over whether it is effective or not. Thanks! :)

Support the first Blimp supporting a president!
www.RonPaulBlimp.com

Listen to the Ron Paul Radio and chat at www.RonPaulRadio.com

Adamsa
12-21-2007, 07:07 PM

MWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

It would've been kickass to have it over NH for the primary though.

shadow26
12-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Well man, well I respect your opinion, I respectfully disagree. If you lived in or near the areas the blimp has flown I think you might agree. The blimp is getting some national coverage (on Msm today a few times for example) but its greatest success is the local media and people. I think you should read all the articles about the blimp and hear how people who saw it say everywhere they looked people were out of their homes looking up at the blimp. This was of course no coincidence. It was because the local media is all over the blimp and every location it goes to they have been announcing its arrival so people can go out and see it. This means every city it flies over it is on the local media and our name recognition which is our biggest issue is being helped. Its a flying advertisement for Ron Paul so that helps, but also its the first blimp that is supporting a president. I look forward to your response and don't want to make an argurement about this instead a debate over whether it is effective or not. Thanks! :)

Support the first Blimp supporting a president!
www.RonPaulBlimp.com

Listen to the Ron Paul Radio and chat at www.RonPaulRadio.com

They just announced an extension of the deadline. Great. Get the blimp to NYC, Atlanta, or Jacksonville post haste...hit the PR wagon hard!

NerveShocker
12-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Very good news.. I expected this since they hadn't been warning us about the deadline at all. I was thinking it was more likely just a goal than a deadline.

Oliver
12-21-2007, 07:10 PM
WE NEED MONEY. Plain and Simple.

No, we need a Blimp sub-forum, plain and simple. ;)

Man from La Mancha
12-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Not to mention how much grassroots and other time it's taken away focusing on this.

4 threads on it on the front page here. Untold thousands and thousands of hours spent.

How could that time have been spent in grassroots campaigning? It's mind boggling.I'm sorry to see that you don't have the capacity and insight to do multiple tasks, if you can't give constructive criticism and can help in aiding current project please don't say anything at all. Unless it makes you feel good to bring other people down. I could never attend a church run by a man with such negative and self limiting concepts.

bucfish
12-21-2007, 07:12 PM
The blimp is dead the blimp is dead, the blimp is dead is that what you want to leave your children and your children's children with OR do you want them to know a new FREEDOM and a new HAPPINESS!!

Save The Blimp!!!

And get matching funds at the thread matching funds by texasliberty!!!

I Am Weasel
12-21-2007, 07:15 PM
I donated today, but the whole blimp issue needs serious attention on the front of the forums!

Why not have a picture of a blimp or something and have people buy (donate) one small bit at a time? $10 here, $50 there, $100 whereever, it all adds up. If people had a literal image to see what part they are buying it may attract more donations... come on.. I'm no web designer, but some of you out there are.... worth a shot??

MozoVote
12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
IMHO, It set sail too soon... It was not planned correctly. It went with one banner, so for some days we got 50% effectiveness for the money, and with bad weather, it has barely been able to get out of the carolina's...

+1

I have not given any more money since they literally launched it "half assed".

I suppose I could come around again and chip in a second time, but that depends on where it is going and how well everyone else is supporting it.

newbitech
12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
I donated today, but the whole blimp issue needs serious attention on the front of the forums!

Why not have a picture of a blimp or something and have people buy (donate) one small bit at a time? $10 here, $50 there, $100 whereever, it all adds up. If people had a literal image to see what part they are buying it may attract more donations... come on.. I'm no web designer, but some of you out there are.... worth a shot??

genius!

seapilot
12-21-2007, 07:25 PM
The blimp is dead the blimp is dead, the blimp is dead is that what you want to leave your children and your children's children with OR do you want them to know a new FREEDOM and a new HAPPINESS!!

Save The Blimp!!!

And get matching funds at the thread matching funds by texasliberty!!!

The sky is NOT falling. There was an extension on the time. Go to the website and read www.ronpaulblimp.com.
P.S. LET THIS THREAD DIE and rest in peace. The blimp fairies will give thanks.

rooteroa
12-21-2007, 07:37 PM
The blimp was in Maryland yesterday - can someone please point out TV stations that mentioned the blimp? I couldn't find a single mention of it on any Baltimore area news station. Prove to me this project wasn't a waste of money. Please.

FreeTraveler
12-21-2007, 07:46 PM

How could that time have been spent in grassroots campaigning? It's mind boggling.

http://texasholdemblogger.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/grinch.jpg

Don't you get tired of sucking on Lemons all the time? Put them in a pitcher, add some sugar and a little water, cool for a bit... voila, delicious lemonade!!!

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Do you mean the advertising company? - They created a private LLC for it themselves. It's their company, Trevor, Elijah ect.

The Blimp owner is well know, don't have a link now.
I'm talking about the advertising one, the LLC - it disappeared from the blimp website a few days ago, the legal team disappeared (but was put back on the website) and Trevor used the tea party email list to ask for legal help (but no details WHAT legal help) and then around that time the payment block disappeared from the website too for 2 days? (I'm not sure about the timing here) and finally came back with no wire transfer option.
Then Mckarnin mentioned a settlement they are involved with for the past 2 weeks and when asked why the LLC disappeared from the website, claimed she couldn't say due to some legal reasons. She didn't even want to say what company she worked for anymore and who owned the LLC (since them she introduces herself as "Katherine from the blimp" - no LLC etc).
That's about it. I pointed out, that currently clients send their money to nobody (legally), because the blimp site doesn't list the name of any entity who collects the money. But it seems it's perfectly fine with most of the people who buys the ad, so I have no other questions about it.