PDA

View Full Version : End Conflict of Interest in Washington - Elect Doctors, Scientists and Engineers

JohnMatthews
12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Typically when a person stands to gain unwarranted advantage, influence or wealth by participating in an activity from a privileged position, that person should recuse themselves to avoid a potential conflict of interest.

Following this logic, all lawyers should be directly barred from voting for new laws.

Who stands to gain, directly and indirectly, from all forms of legislation, regulation and bureaucracy? Who increases their power and wealth by expanding the power and influence of government at all levels?

You guessed it -> lawyers.

I propose that we can directly advance the causes of individual liberty, freedom and personal responsibility by electing doctors, scientists and engineers to government. Actually, anyone who is not a lawyer will do. If there were a diversity of professions represented in the legislature, then individual members could and should abstain when a conflict of interest would bring undue advantage to their particular profession. When these people's elected terms as public servants expire they can return to gainful employment in the private sector.

What do elected lawyers do when their turns are up? They become lobbyists. Or they are paid to litigate the legal issues arising directly as a consequence of their increases in the powers and responsibilities of government.

I believe that this conflict of interest is the root cause of our ever-expanding, overreaching and coercive government. All lawyers benefit, directly and indirectly, from the passage of new laws. Lawyers in government have an inherent self-interest in increasing government intrusion and regulation through new legislation. The writing of new laws perpetuates and increases the power, wealth and influence of lawyers as a group. This is done to the detriment of all who would be free.

End the conflict of interest. Stop electing lawyers to government!

Some laws benefit everyone.
Some laws benefit a few.
All laws benefit lawyers.
Do all laws benefit you?

seapilot
12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Yes government does seem to have a disaportionment amount of lawyers. Those that interpret the laws should not be able to create laws.

The minute you read something that you can't understand, you can almost be sure that it was drawn up by a lawyer.

-Will Rogers

Mesogen
12-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Hear Hear!

Damned straight.

Bill Frist and Howard Dean are model politicians. O wait...

And I can't think of one scientist who became a politician.

JohnMatthews
12-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Hear Hear!

Damned straight.

Bill Frist and Howard Dean are model politicians. O wait...

And I can't think of one scientist who became a politician.

Just because there hasn't been many doesn't mean that there shouldn't be.

I would consider Benjamin Franklin a scientist, at least for his day and age.

It doesn't have to be scientists and engineers, just anybody other than lawyers.