PDA

View Full Version : End Conflict of Interest in Washington - Elect Doctors, Scientists and Engineers

JohnMatthews
12-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Typically when a person stands to gain unwarranted advantage, influence or wealth by participating in an activity from a privileged position, that person should recuse themselves to avoid a potential conflict of interest.

Following this logic, all lawyers should be directly barred from voting for new laws.

Who stands to gain, directly and indirectly, from all forms of legislation, regulation and bureaucracy? Who increases their power and wealth by expanding the power and influence of government at all levels?

You guessed it -> lawyers.

I propose that we can directly advance the causes of individual liberty, freedom and personal responsibility by electing doctors, scientists and engineers to government. Actually, anyone who is not a lawyer will do. If there were a diversity of professions represented in the legislature, then individual members could and should abstain when a conflict of interest would bring undue advantage to their particular profession. When these people's elected terms as public servants expire they can return to gainful employment in the private sector.

What do elected lawyers do when their turns are up? They become lobbyists. Or they are paid to litigate the legal issues arising directly as a consequence of their increases in the powers and responsibilities of government.

I believe that this conflict of interest is the root cause of our ever-expanding, overreaching and coercive government. All lawyers benefit, directly and indirectly, from the passage of new laws. Lawyers in government have an inherent self-interest in increasing government intrusion and regulation through new legislation. The writing of new laws perpetuates and increases the power, wealth and influence of lawyers as a group. This is done to the detriment of all who would be free.

End the conflict of interest. Stop electing lawyers to government!

Some laws benefit everyone.
Some laws benefit a few.
All laws benefit lawyers.
Do all laws benefit you?

bgarrett
12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
When I tell people about Ron Paul I emphasize that he is NOT a lawyer.

I am sure they hear the same message you are spreading

Matt Collins
12-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Exactly. Lawyers writing law is BAD for the law.

JohnMatthews
12-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Exactly. Lawyers writing law is BAD for the law.

It is not the lawyers writing the laws that bothers me. It is the lawyers voting for the laws that creates the conflict of interest.

Matt Collins
12-25-2007, 11:16 AM
It is not the lawyers writing the laws that bothers me. It is the lawyers voting for the laws that creates the conflict of interest.

Good point. However look at Rudy's and Fred's top donors at OpenSecrets.org - their biggest donors are LAW FIRMS!

Lawyers who write the law make the law so complex so that it can only be interpreted by other lawyers, and you have to retain a lawyer to do pretty much anything besides paint your own house.

Cjays
12-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Who stands to gain, directly and indirectly, from all forms of legislation, regulation and bureaucracy? Who increases their power and wealth by expanding the power and influence of government at all levels?

You guessed it -> lawyers.
Not to mention all the accountants who benefit from a complex tax code.

JohnMatthews
12-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Good point. However look at Rudy's and Fred's top donors at OpenSecrets.org - their biggest donors are LAW FIRMS!

Lawyers who write the law make the law so complex so that it can only be interpreted by other lawyers, and you have to retain a lawyer to do pretty much anything besides paint your own house.

I could not agree more about the unnecessary complexity of most laws caused by the linguistic acrobatics of lawyers.

The finest law ever written is the Constitution. I would argue that any reasonably educated individual can and should be able to understand this law.

It is purposefully simple per the founders intent that it should be understood universally.

Lawyers have seen fit to claim that it is complex and nuanced in order to twist it's meaning to rationalize the expansion in the size and scope of government (to their benefit) and to take this law out of the realm of the common individual.

This list was compiled by DrZ:

DEMOCRATS
Joe Biden - Lawyer
Hillary Clinton - Lawyer
Chris Dodd - Lawyer
John Edwards - Lawyer
Mike Gravel - Real Estate & Various Jobs
Dennis Kucinich - Various Jobs
Barack Obama - Lawyer
Bill Richardson - Government Jobs

REPUBLICANS
Rudy Giuliani - Lawyer & US Attorney