PDA

View Full Version : Clint Eastwood describes himself as a Libertarian

amy31416
12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm sure someone must have suggested this here, but here's an excerpt from Wikipedia, I think he'd be far better than Chuck "I'm a walking joke" Norris:

Political life

Eastwood made one successful foray into elected politics, becoming the Mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California (usually abbreviated to Carmel; population 4,000), a wealthy small town and artist community on the Monterey Peninsula, for one term. Frustrated with what he perceived to be the bureaucracy in Carmel's politics, he ran a last-minute, small-scale campaign emphasizing better relations between the business and residential communities. On election day, April 8, 1986, with double the voter turnout, Eastwood garnered 72.5% of the vote and was elected to a position that paid $200 per month. During his tenure, he tried to weigh the rights of preservationists and develop the town for local business. Eastwood decided not to run for a second term due to the number of small scale decisions required of the mayor in such a small town. During his tenure, he completed Heartbreak Ridge and Bird.[14] On a lighter note, as mayor he repealed a municipal law that forbade anyone to eat ice cream on the sidewalk.

Although Eastwood has been registered as a Republican since 1951 and supported Richard Nixon's 1968 presidential campaign, he describes himself as a libertarian. He says his philosophy is "Everyone leaves everyone else alone".[15] He voted for Arnold Schwarzenegger as Governor of California in the 2003 recall election, and again in 2006.

Kingfisher
12-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Burp

amy31416
12-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Burp

Excuse yourself, young man!

CCTelander
12-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Yes he does. Here's a neat site that lists a lot of others:

http://www.theadvocates.org/celebrities.html

amy31416