PDA

View Full Version : Blimp to buzz Manhattan today!

RP4U&ME
12-21-2007, 07:48 AM
"Today’s Route-Friday, December 21st, 2007
Good Morning!

Today we plan to depart for Bridgeport, CT from Harford, MD and fly along I-95 over Wilmington, DE — Philadelphia, PA –over lower manhattan and into Bridgeport, CT. As of yesterday evening we were anticipating an 8am departure and a 3pm landing. Since we haven’t taken off yet we are probably looking at a 9am departure and 4pm landing.

I will provide more information as it becomes available.

8:45am EST"

http://ondecember16th.com/archives/category/uncategorized

kimosabi
12-21-2007, 07:57 AM
This is going to be so cool, hopefully someone can take some great photos of the Blimp flying over the Statue of Liberty...

homah
12-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Looks like they can't do it now. Plus, they have to go back to NC to fix the banner. This is probably going to kill the project, unfortunately. I think had people seen some pictures of the blimp flying over NYC, it would have had enough of an impact to get them to their 400k goal.

Ethek
12-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Looks like they can't do it now. Plus, they have to go back to NC to fix the banner. This is probably going to kill the project, unfortunately. I think had people seen some pictures of the blimp flying over NYC, it would have had enough of an impact to get them to their 400k goal.

Hopefully not. I think the lack of blogging has really hurt. It feels really disconnected. I expected more journal type entries to keep people engaged with sights/decisions/plans and experiences. Right now its hardly worth checking the blimp site. It feels disconnected. Even if theres no connectivity on the blimp this seems to be something really important that was not done.

shadow26
12-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Hopefully not. I think the lack of blogging has really hurt. It feels really disconnected. I expected more journal type entries to keep people engaged with sights/decisions/plans and experiences. Right now its hardly worth checking the blimp site. It feels disconnected. Even if theres no connectivity on the blimp this seems to be something really important that was not done.

They are over Chesapeake Bay...again.

shadow26
12-21-2007, 09:44 AM

You're dead right regarding that feeling of being "disconnected". People have donated TONS of money, and they can't even find someone to keep a blog updated? So it goes...the media is going to be ALL OVER this when the blimp docks for the last time.

ourlongroad
12-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Huh? What exactly happened. Can someone provide more info?

RP4U&ME
12-21-2007, 10:07 AM
The weather's too sketchy. A tour through New England just isn't possible this time of year, as cool as that would be.
On the bright side, a southern campaign will give the blimp clearer skies and more face time.
Florida's going to get blimped soon I bet.
---------------------------------------------------------
Ok folks,

We are all very disappointed to inform you that the weather has made a switch this morning. We are looking at low clouds (so low the blimp may not be visible in the air) all the way to New York and once we get there. The blimp doesn’t have enough lift right now (helium) to fly at the altitudes required for flying on instruments and 3 of the bungees securing one of the banners broke. So, we are headed back to Elizabeth City, NC to get the banner fixed and get out of the clouds so we have good visibility. A YouTube video update will be made available shortly.

On a more pleasant note, the weather will be much more predictable as we head south and we should be able to give supporters and media much better notice about where we’ll be. We’ll be reviewing the weather as the bungees are secured and the banners inspected and deciding where to go next. With your generous support the Ron Paul Blimp Tour could run past mid-January and even into February. So, even if the weather does not look good for the north in the near future it will remain on the table as an important target location.

Thank you for your support.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ondecember16th.com/archives/category/uncategorized

fedup100
12-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Too bad we didn't consider the weather and how limited this thing is before we bought it.

I love it and the idea, but it has turned into a nightmare and cannot be seen or in the places we need it to be in.

I too know the media will make good jokes of this.

Storm3
12-21-2007, 10:31 AM

Exactly.

ourlongroad
12-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Too bad we didn't consider the weather and how limited this thing is before we bought it.
Aw, live and learn. That's okay, we're going to make mistakes as we navigate this new territory. No need for anyone to be discouraged, as the positives far outweigh anything else.

kimosabi
12-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Aw, live and learn. That's okay, we're going to make mistakes as we navigate this new territory. No need for anyone to be discouraged, as the positives far outweigh anything else.
They had a Great day in Baltimore Yesterday. It's hard if the weather won't co-operate, but you guys have to realise Blimps don't usually operate in Winter.

kaleidoscope eyes
12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah, winter's a Biiiaaatch! lol

gecko42
12-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I heard the blimp was so exciting that it caused traffic slowdowns in VA and MD!

DirtMcGirt
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM
i agree blogs have felt disconnected on the blimp site

New York For Paul
12-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Why are they flying over farmland. They should fly over Republican areas at least. Baltimore is 90% Democrat. How does that help Ron Paul?

Why didn't they make a straight shot for New Hampshire?

If the Bungies break do supporters or the company pay for the time in the air that it has to go back to get repairs?

Why are we only flying in the Mid Atlantic area?

xexkxex
12-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Looks like no more New York.... :(

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=62649

jacmicwag
12-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Don't give up on the blimp or Ron Paul.

Ethek
12-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Don't give up on the blimp or Ron Paul.

I have faith. Perhaps more is afoot than we are being told.

shadow26
12-21-2007, 12:23 PM
I have faith. Perhaps more is afoot than we are being told.

I sure hope so, because the negative media assault that follows the final docking of the blimp will be something to see...raising the $90,000 to forestall that would be worth it in and of itself.

Ethek
12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
the current route is really bazaar. Its almost like the blimp is trying to hide.

kimosabi
12-21-2007, 12:33 PM
the current route is really bazaar. Its almost like the blimp is trying to hide.
It just did a nice backtrack...

SPmachina033
12-21-2007, 04:10 PM
It just did a nice backtrack...

Yea it did... I am just wondering, has anyone ever actually seen the live video feed working? I still haven't.

LibertyForAll
12-21-2007, 04:17 PM
I read in another thread that the banner has to be re-attached at a few points, they are making a stop in Elizabeth City to fix the banner.

alexpasch
12-21-2007, 04:26 PM

bazaar is a marketplace

bizarre is the word you're looking for ;)

FireofLiberty
12-21-2007, 04:33 PM
What's wrong with the banner?

HOLLYWOOD
12-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I read in another thread that the banner has to be re-attached at a few points, they are making a stop in Elizabeth City to fix the banner.

Simple rental of a cherry picker and $5 dollars in bungee cords are the fix to the banner, don't you think? Rather than traveling 400 miles and losing another day to invisibility? No articles on the Baltimore TV websites, nothing in the Baltimore SUN today...

This is having an inkling of the HINDERBERG, good thing the blimp didn't go to Lynhurst, NJ.

Tarzan
12-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Did you know you can put a user on your personal Ignore List? :)

Then, their messages will appear to you like this:
"This message is hidden because OFFENDING_USER_NAME is on your ignore list. "

You can do this by:
1. clicking on the OFFENDING_USER_NAME at the top right of their post...
2. click "View Public Profile"...
3. Selecting "add OFFENDING_USER_NAME to your ignore list" on the dark blue bar near the top right of the screen.
4. Click on "Save List" to update your Ignore List Settings

I have found this quite useful and it really cleans up the thread and makes it easier to read.

As the description for the Ron Paul Blimp Sub-Forum states: "Planning and information on the Ron Paul blimp project"

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
bazaar is a marketplace

bizarre is the word you're looking for ;)
LOL
It's also a distributed revision control system :)

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Did you know you can put a user on your personal Ignore List? :)
Tarzan, I don't want to put you on my ignore list, but those repetitive posts are starting to be annoying... Could you stop that? I'm sure most folks have seen it already..

HOLLYWOOD
12-21-2007, 04:55 PM
NEO-BLIMP-O-CONS

PLANNING & INFORMATION... in their OWN MINES...lol

Tarzan
12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Working on the Blimps banners is tricky business. It is possible to do this outdoors but requires ZERO wind. Try to picture a 200ft long floating airship attached at one point on the nose. With even the slightest breeze the Blimp will shift position... it could come toward the cherry picker and the resulting collision could cause damage to the airship... it could move away from the cherry picker and the worker attaching the banner could plunge to the tarmac causing serious injury or worse... the banner is 30'x90'... a bungee cords of that length (90+ feet) is not usually available in your local hardware store, and it would cost a bit more than $5.

We are trying to answer sincere questions, I am answering those I can, but some of the questions are so ill considered or purposely disruptive they are not worthy of being addressed as they consume valuable time best spent elsewhere. Please visit the Blog as it is being updated and some of your questions are being answered in that venue. More will be added as per your requests.

expatinireland
12-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Simple rental of a cherry picker and $5 dollars in bungee cords are the fix to the banner, don't you think? Rather than traveling 400 miles and losing another day to invisibility?

Wind free conditions are needed to make the fix and this necessitates the return to the hangar in North Carolina

HOLLYWOOD
12-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Since the BUNGEE CORDS IS THE MAIN FACTOR... would you want to address it immediately?

Lakehurst, NJ has Blimp hangars and ARE available for service!

250 MILES closer and additionally would of provided more visibility in DENSELY POPULATED region. PLUS the BLIMP would of been back up in the AIR sooner.

Tarzan
12-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Lakehurst is 106 miles from Harford field. Elizabeth City is 226 miles from Harford field. The difference is 120 miles, not 250 miles.

Lakehurst is owned by the US Government and we only have permission to land there if we encounter an in-flight emergency. We were not given permission to travel there, land & use their hangar facilities to repair the broken bungee cords

The weather system that passed into the area was headed north in the direction of Lakehurst (and New York) and would have required filing an IFR flight plan. With other FAA restrictions in the area the Blimp would not have been able to reach the assigned altitude to comply with the flight plan so further travel toward the north was ruled out by the flight crew.

Many of the logistical aspects are not as simple as they may appear. There are usually numerous vectors in any of the calculations necessary to reach a conclusion. Chief among them is to have information that is as accurate as possible. Put directly, there are many complications which must be considered and things are not as simple as they might seem from a surface examination.

Ethek
12-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Lakehurst is 106 miles from Harford field. Elizabeth City is 226 miles from Harford field. The difference is 120 miles, not 250 miles.

Lakehurst is owned by the US Government and we only have permission to land there if we encounter an in-flight emergency. We were not given permission to travel there, land & use their hangar facilities to repair the broken bungee cords

The weather system that passed into the area was headed north in the direction of Lakehurst (and New York) and would have required filing an IFR flight plan. With other FAA restrictions in the area the Blimp would not have been able to reach the assigned altitude to comply with the flight plan so further travel toward the north was ruled out by the flight crew.

Many of the logistical aspects are not as simple as they may appear. There are usually numerous vectors in any of the calculations necessary to reach a conclusion. Chief among them is to have information that is as accurate as possible. Put directly, there are many complications which must be considered and things are not as simple as they might seem from a surface examination.

Excellent post! Can we get more information like this put into the blog ? I think that accounts for much of the frustration here.

wisconsinite
12-21-2007, 07:02 PM
As we can see from the title of this thread compared to the actual situation I think it might be best to not state in definite terms what the blimp will be doing. Might be best to state what the plans are "if the weather cooperates" any time an announcement is made. Being realistic will lead to less disappointment, IMO.

Ilhaguru
12-21-2007, 07:09 PM

Great post!!!

shadow26
12-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Excellent post! Can we get more information like this put into the blog ? I think that accounts for much of the frustration here.

They just announced an extension of the deadline. Great. Get the blimp to NYC, Atlanta, or Jacksonville post haste...hit the PR wagon hard!

Margo37
12-21-2007, 07:13 PM

That was helpful, yesterday was a fantastic tour of Baltimore but the circuitous route back to NC today mystified me, I watched the GPS for hours while hoping for the video feed again. But it flew over mostly farmland and woods,
very sparsely populated areas avoiding even the smaller towns, most of those here on the MD eastern shore are, away from the highways. There isn't much there at all, Salisbury is larger but nothing on the news. The coastline has the highest population and larger towns, even more on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay.

wisconsinite
12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
That was helpful, yesterday was a fantastic tour of Baltimore but the circuitous route back to NC today mystified me, I watched the GPS for hours while hoping for the video feed again. But it flew over mostly farmland and woods,
very sparsely populated areas avoiding even the smaller towns, most of those here on the MD eastern shore are, away from the highways. There isn't much there at all, Salisbury is larger but nothing on the news. The coastline has the highest population and larger towns, even more on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay.

It looks like the goal on the way back was to buzz Richmond, VA.

Margo37
12-21-2007, 07:41 PM
It looks like the goal on the way back was to buzz Richmond, VA.

That's an awful long way around then.

(I love the blimp!)