PDA

View Full Version : they still only accept google checkout?

orion846
12-21-2007, 05:15 AM
as a internet business owner who knows what/how long it takes to get the required accounts/relationships/technologies established to accept credit cards directly on a website, this is preposterous

i swear sometimes it feels like they dont even really care if this pans out

Paulinista4TW
12-21-2007, 05:44 AM
"Weird scenes inside the gold mine" ,

but Elijah looks exhausted in the blimp live feeds so he's doing something. Why not offer to help them set this up though since you have the know-how?

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Google Checkout is free right now. Paypal would cost 2 to 3%.

For $400,000 that would be $8,000 to $12,000!

Merchant accounts would be about the same. Often merchant accounts are difficult to start and slow to pay.

There are 9 smart people involved. Why don't you trust them? I am sure if they went with paypal or some merchant account some people here would whine about them wasting the 8 to 12 thousand dollars. That is a lot of money better spent on other things.

homeschooler4ron
12-21-2007, 06:28 AM
what does that mean that they only accept google. do you have to have a credit card on file with a google acct? how do you pay if they don't take credit cards?

smokinjoev
12-21-2007, 06:33 AM
I've had no prob with the site. Those guys have been busting their butt to get that thing going. Weather is uncontrollable.

Remember - We raised 6 mil and got only a little press. This thing gets talked about everywhere it goes... Its worth it

jorlowitz
12-21-2007, 06:37 AM
what does that mean that they only accept google. do you have to have a credit card on file with a google acct? how do you pay if they don't take credit cards?

Google Checkout is JUST like Paypal. The only difference is that instead of PayPal using your credit card securely, Google Checkout will. It's easy (easier, I think), free, and already integrated.

Just use your credit card with them ONCE and you'll have your information permanently and securely stored.

I don't disagree that Paypal would be a nice option, but there's nothing non-functional about Checkout

orion846
12-21-2007, 09:16 AM
A: i already offered to help them, nobody responded
B: google checkout can't be FREE as in ZERO % taken by google from the purchase. google is a business, not a charity. they need to make money through a venture, and the way they do it thorugh this is like any other payment gateway, taking a %
C: using a merchant account and internet payment gateways like authorize.net for direct CC purchases through your website involves a minimal amount of payment. a SMALL % from each transaction, a $10 monthly fee for the merchant account, you need a business bank account (I assume they have this anyway with google checkout) and a SLL certificate for the site (50 bucks for a year)

I get my money from my site purchases NEXT DAY, so there's definately no excuse regarding a time factor, for still only using google checkout.

i also use paypal, they take a larger %, and you need to manually transfer the funds from paypal to your bank account. but if you have your bank account verified through the paypal account (takes 2 days tops) then the transfers take 24-48 hours (usually less then 24 if initiative early enough in the day) which is NEGLIGIBLE.

to sum up, no excuse for only use google.

Johncjackson
12-21-2007, 09:18 AM
They want to be a real business, supposedly. Then they should have all the normal payment options for online payment. There is nothing complicated about "setting up" any of this stuff. If they are able to form a company and hire all this staff and lawyers they should be able to do the little stuff. The 2-3% that Paypal and merchant accounts charge pays for itself, IMO. If you have a business you don't worry about such small stuff when you know it will increase your revenue.

People have preferences. People are familiar with Paypal and have been using it 7-8 years or whatever. You have to make it convenient for them, not give them a new requirement they have to learn about and setup.

naga_warrior
12-21-2007, 09:28 AM
They want to be a real business, supposedly. Then they should have all the normal payment options for online payment. There is nothing complicated about "setting up" any of this stuff. If they are able to form a company and hire all this staff and lawyers they should be able to do the little stuff. The 2-3% that Paypal and merchant accounts charge pays for itself, IMO. If you have a business you don't worry about such small stuff when you know it will increase your revenue.

People have preferences. People are familiar with Paypal and have been using it 7-8 years or whatever. You have to make it convenient for them, not give them a new requirement they have to learn about and setup.

From what I understand, they didn't WANT to create a business. They had to in order to by pass all of the laws dealing with politics....

bucfish
12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
If someone is having problems with donating read my thread you must sign out and then sign back in of your GOOGLE account to donate. Please bump my thread to keep it near top as their are getting lots of emails from people having problems with it.

Let it not be said that we did nothing, RP

naga_warrior
12-21-2007, 09:34 AM
B: google checkout can't be FREE as in ZERO % taken by google from the purchase. google is a business, not a charity. they need to make money through a venture, and the way they do it thorugh this is like any other payment gateway, taking a %
C: using a merchant account and internet payment gateways like authorize.net for direct CC purchases through your website involves a minimal amount of payment. a SMALL % from each transaction, a $10 monthly fee for the merchant account, you need a business bank account (I assume they have this anyway with google checkout) and a SLL certificate for the site (50 bucks for a year)

I get my money from my site purchases NEXT DAY, so there's definately no excuse regarding a time factor, for still only using google checkout.

i also use paypal, they take a larger %, and you need to manually transfer the funds from paypal to your bank account. but if you have your bank account verified through the paypal account (takes 2 days tops) then the transfers take 24-48 hours (usually less then 24 if initiative early enough in the day) which is NEGLIGIBLE.

Looks like google CAN do it for free, and DOES it for free for the time being.

https://checkout.google.com/sell/?gsessionid=2h1_DQNhNAg

Free credit card processing until 2008
When you sell with Google Checkout, you can process all of your Checkout sales for free until 2008. And there are no monthly, setup or gateway fees.

orion846
12-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Looks like google CAN do it for free, and DOES it for free for the time being.

https://checkout.google.com/sell/?gsessionid=2h1_DQNhNAg

Free credit card processing until 2008
When you sell with Google Checkout, you can process all of your Checkout sales for free until 2008. And there are no monthly, setup or gateway fees.

fair enough i guess

but speaking for a business standpoint. if you want business, you need to make life easy for your customers. the % taken through direct CC purchase is negligable, and would pay for itself (towards total collected) via the amount of money gained from having that extra option.

MindStalker
12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
B: google checkout can't be FREE as in ZERO % taken by google from the purchase.

http://checkout.google.com/seller/fees.html

Free until February 1st

angelatc
12-21-2007, 09:48 AM

Google is 100% free, because they're trying to cut into PayPal's monopoly. However, they're not telling users it will always be free, like those unethical bastards at PayPal did.

Paypal sucks. Google is a much better option.

sanjeevjain
12-21-2007, 09:50 AM
fair enough i guess

but speaking for a business standpoint. if you want business, you need to make life easy for your customers. the % taken through direct CC purchase is negligable, and would pay for itself (towards total collected) via the amount of money gained from having that extra option.

Someone who is so knowledgeable about Payment Processing ... I am surprised that you haven't heard about free Google Checkout till now. It has been that way for this whole year! Just imagine the money that you would have made if you were using Google Checkout instead of Paypal or anything else!

Google Checkout is much easier to use than Paypal.

Only reason to go for anything besides Google checkout is people have money in their Paypal account and they want to send that instead of using a credit card.

bulloncoins
12-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I noticed that Headquarters uses credit cards and paypal...I'm sure thay have a reason, ofcourse they only raised 18 million, so what do they know.

I guess they should have used google checkout only. :rolleyes:

orion846
12-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Someone who is so knowledgeable about Payment Processing ... I am surprised that you haven't heard about free Google Checkout till now. It has been that way for this whole year! Just imagine the money that you would have made if you were using Google Checkout instead of Paypal or anything else!

Google Checkout is much easier to use than Paypal.

Only reason to go for anything besides Google checkout is people have money in their Paypal account and they want to send that instead of using a credit card.

im not telling them to use paypal as a primary source. im telling them to accept credit cards directly. read my entire post before you comment.

accepting cards directly takes a negligible %, much lower then paypal's, and only someone who has no understanding of merchandising/marketing/business wouldn't understand how it'd be more effective then google checkout that requires users create google accounts

texasliberty
12-21-2007, 10:30 AM
I noticed that Headquarters uses credit cards and paypal...I'm sure thay have a reason, ofcourse they only raised 18 million, so what do they know.

I guess they should have used google checkout only. :rolleyes:

Dude, what are you, some kind of PayPal fetishist? :rolleyes: Who cares? It's just a shopping cart, folks; they all take credit cards and they all work the same to the user. This is like people complaining they won't shop at a store 'cause they have NCR cash registers and WYSE is so much better. It's just silly. If you have a credit card, you can buy ad time on the Blimp in like 5 seconds; plenty of other people have, and I promise it won't hurt.

And once again, let's pimp the Blimp purchase matching thread! :)
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=58747

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 10:36 AM
im not telling them to use paypal as a primary source. im telling them to accept credit cards directly. read my entire post before you comment.

accepting cards directly takes a negligible %, much lower then paypal's, and only someone who has no understanding of merchandising/marketing/business wouldn't understand how it'd be more effective then google checkout that requires users create google accounts
This issue was raised long ago - just after they started LLC and they told us here, that the CC stuff will be done ASAP. That was like almost 3 weeks ago, so I don't think they have any intention to do it (They also removed a link to wire transfers) - seems to me, they prefer to save those 3% or something on CC fees and loose the clients, who won't sign in to yet another service just to make a goddamn CC payment. Paypal sucks - that's a common knowledge. That's why we have all those companies, who process credit card payments for us and with a minimal setup on our side (us -> web devs).

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 10:44 AM
plenty of other people have, and I promise it won't hurt.
Your promise has no value. But Google is cartainly better than PayPal - at least I haven't heard any stories about Google that I've heard about PayPal. But it's probably because hardly anyone uses Google for micropayments as of now.

Tarzan
12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Please keep in mind that new accounts, such as a business account with PayPal have several transfer limits. This is especially true of a new business, and the Blimp certainly qualifies as being new. It is possible to use a personal PayPal account. That option was not viable for two primary reasons. It was discussed that this would be an unwise monetary decision to allow any one person to collect the money in a personal PayPal account. There are also limitations to a personal account. The amounts going through a personal account also have limits and there would have been a very real possibility that the Blimp activity would have resulted in the suspension of a personal PayPal account.

Several other folks have answered regarding the Limited Time offer from Google. Obviously Google is using this draw as a marketing ploy to get more customers for their payment system. This is a good business decision on their part as they attempt to gain a broader market share for their processing service... its just like those special rates on Credit Cards.

We are fortunate in that this Google Promotion coincides with the Blimp effort. The Blimp is able to use more of the have provided to actual Blimp operations versus paying a percentage to a CC processing company.

http://ronpaulideas.com/images/signatureblimp.png (http://RonPaulBlimp.com/)

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 11:07 AM
We are fortunate in that this Google Promotion coincides with the Blimp effort. The Blimp is able to use more of the have provided to actual Blimp operations versus paying a percentage to a CC processing company.
You're not taking into account potential clients, that haven't paid for the ad because of a very poor payment options. Direct CC is a standard. Paypal/Google may be an addon to that (and Paypal, even though it's a much worse company, is a better option for US clients, because of a wide adoption). Maybe, if you had CC payments, you wouldn't have to push for the money today. Google was the worst option to choose from. CC fees were not worth that - that's for sure.

Tarzan
12-21-2007, 11:17 AM
You're not taking into account potential clients, that haven't paid for the ad because of a very poor payment options. Direct CC is a standard. Paypal/Google may be an addon to that (and Paypal, even though it's a much worse company, is a better option for US clients, because of a wide adoption). Maybe, if you had CC payments, you wouldn't have to push for the money today. Google was the worst option to choose from. CC fees were not worth that - that's for sure.

I am not being glib here... but I really do not understand what you mean. Google Checkout accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. So Credit Card payment IS a standard option with them. Setting up a separate Merchant Account to accept payment when it already exists using Google Checkout seems redundant and unnecessary. :confused:

steph3n
12-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I am not being glib here... but I really do not understand what you mean. Google Checkout accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. So Credit Card payment IS a standard option with them. Setting up a separate Merchant Account to accept payment when it already exists using Google Checkout seems redundant and unnecessary. :confused:

Not sure I understand either, I put my purchase on my debit card that works just alike a credit card without any issue at all. google checkout is NOT like paypal in that you need to have some balance, it is simply a payment processor.

Exponent
12-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I always got the general impression that Paul supporters who were actually willing to give money to his campaign and other related causes were reasonably motivated people. I have a hard time believing the blimp is losing a large number of potential clients merely because these potential clients would have to register an account with Google. Most people who would be willing to give money to the blimp would be willing to register with Google. It's hardly significant.

Many people who wouldn't give money to the blimp anway might be turned off by the extra registration, but why would they count? Now I am very hesitant to jump onto the recent troll-calling bandwagon, but all this negativity toward the blimp is making me very suspicious. It is as if every single possible way in which the blimp project can be criticized, legitimately or not, has been brought up. Like people are looking for ways to criticize the blimp project. For such reasons, I have to admit, I somewhat doubt the validity of your concern, and am even tempted to doubt the sincerity of your concern. I wouldn't be surprised if other people, including the blimp coordinators felt similarly.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 11:40 AM
I always got the general impression that Paul supporters who were actually willing to give money to his campaign and other related causes were reasonably motivated people. I have a hard time believing the blimp is losing a large number of potential clients merely because these potential clients would have to register an account with Google. Most people who would be willing to give money to the blimp would be willing to register with Google. It's hardly significant.
Well, this is the blimp. Not Ron Paul's money chest - it's a bit different. People may love Paul and sacrifice their privacy and sign with google to send RP the money (if that would be the only option), but Blimp is a bit different topic - don't you think? You can see the division even on these forums.

It is as if every single possible way in which the blimp project can be criticized, legitimately or not, has been brought up. Like people are looking for ways to criticize the blimp project. For such reasons, I have to admit, I somewhat doubt the validity of your concern, and am even tempted to doubt the sincerity of your concern. I wouldn't be surprised if other people, including the blimp coordinators felt similarly.
There's too much negativity - that's for sure. Some threads are simply ridiculous and I don't event bother to post there (like 'Trevor should apologize' etc. - nobody asked them to sign up with their working email). But I feel, that current secrecy of the former Liberty Political Advertising is disturbing and I think I have a valid reason to criticize it. After all - they promised a transparency and now we don't even know who they are (or if there is a lawsuit that prevents them from revealing their name in public). And if we speak about negativity - you have to see the other side too. Flood of the blimp lovers just when the LLC was born. Call it a coincidence, but I'm sure we have tens of sockpuppets here with their only mission to pimp the blimp and pitch for the money (their post history speaks for itself). I'm not going to speculate who they are, but I don't like it as much as the stupid negativity.

orion846
12-21-2007, 11:50 AM

the difference is very clear when you look at it from a marketing perspective.

direct CC method means you can have a small form on a page, hell, even the index page. people insert their CC info and click pay, end game, you have money.

what you're doing now is saying "hey, go make a google gmail account, go through the MULTIPLE steps required to setup this account, verify account, add your credit card to account (you trust storing your CC in your google account i hope? sure why not) and then finally after awhile, you can actualyl send said money"

if people have no intention of using a google account before or after this, they're much less likely to bother going through all that bullshit, when a simple single page CC information submition form would've gotten them to donate, at least a little, on impulse if nothing else.

i really dont see what's so hard to understand about this difference and why i need to keep explaining it over and over again. i don't know if you people are in denial, or just blindly faithful, but i'm actually trying to help here by giving advice.

szczebrzeszyn
12-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Not sure I understand either, I put my purchase on my debit card that works just alike a credit card without any issue at all. google checkout is NOT like paypal in that you need to have some balance, it is simply a payment processor.
You don't need to have some balance to make a PayPal payment as well (it's an option).

bulloncoins
12-21-2007, 12:00 PM
i don't know if you people are in denial, or just blindly faithful, but i'm actually trying to help here by giving advice.

I think they have made it clear to me at least, that they do not want my advice. They seem to have it all worked out. I think they are telling you the same thing. Sometimes you just have to read between the lines.