PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul TV Ads! - Too "Mushy"? Too "Careful"?

JoBurke
12-21-2007, 03:33 AM
THIS MESSAGE FOR THE OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN AND ITS LEADERS.

Excuse my inquiry....but I am a little bit concerned about the TV ads I am seeing lately for Ohio etc.....It would seem to me that they are very "Careful" and (I hate to say this) "Politically Correct" - we must be very careful NOT to put Dr. Paul in the same space or light as a "typical candidate"....from the perspective of the first time voter....and even traditional republicans with blinders on....these TV ads really look "fake" or at least "similar to what everyone else does.

In my mind...you cant be real on one side....then fame the funk on the other meaning...yes, Dr. Paul delivered 4000 babies, yes, he served in the Air Force, yes, he wants to defend our freedoms - but that wasted some valuable time on the ad and that is not what is setting the fire under the ass of the movement....if we say it, we should mean it through and through - and not want to "tippy-toe" just to get some repub. votes from the "old garde"....the ad can have wonderful piano music....but should still stay 100% authentic...and say outright why we want Dr. Paul in the first place:

GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF YOUR LIFE!
GET RID OF THE IRS AND THE UNCONSTITUTIONAL INCOME TAX!
BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!
BRING BACK THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS TROOPS HOME WHICH SUPPORT OUR "EMPIRE" OVERSEES!
RETURN OUR CURRENCY TO THE GOLD STANDARD SO IT IS WORTH SOMETHING AGAIN!
PROTECT OUR OWN BORDERS!
HELP OURSELVES BEFORE WE HELP OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!
ETC. ETC.

This is what people are warming up too this is why people are willing to join the fight and the struggle and this is what people want - straight talk and action...

the fastest way to lose momentum in this movement is to not have the nuts to see the message through - and make no mistake about it...it is all about message...the second the Ron Paul "leadership" starts to comprimise the message in order to be "strategic" is the same time the ship begins to sink....let this be a warning....

Again I say...in an environment where many factions are against the Ron paul Movement - be it the Mainstream Media, The Neocons, The "Dems", The "Repubs" or whomever....we must always be aware that the biggest mistakes can be made from within if we deviate from the simple principles that is making Dr. Paul what he is becoming....and that is the last ray of hope for America....meaning, dont second guess or restrain the message in the last stretch....lest it be lost.

in other words, stay true to yourself Dr. Paul - and let your ads (that "represent" you) be more honest and more from the heart and not designed to seduce a vote from factions that are against you in the first place.... you got me with your message....and only your message, not your party, not your baby skills, your military record, not even your voting record (mind you I have no time to research it for accuracy) you got me because you stand for something and you do not comprimise that even though the cards are stacked against you from jump street - so.....please dont comprimise.

I am 44 years old, a PROUD Veteran of the Cold War, from 84 - 89 stationed in Germany, spreche deutsch fliessend, (speak german fluently) have been all over the world in business consulting, including all of Europe and Asia, have contributed twice to your fund (in the last 2 months) have seen America become the most looked up to country in the world reduced to the most hated country in the world due to ignorance, stupidity, and arrogance - oh yes, and let us not forget lies and the killing of thousands....kidnapping of hundreds and war profiteering, making a few billions and the poor get poorer in our own nation....

So you are preaching the gospel to me and I am surely not alone when I say, Yes, I am ready to die for my freedoms, especially if something should happen to you, just as I was standing on the wall over 20 years ago thinking I was defending our country from foreign enemies....when the real enemies fill our entire political system, our media, and our infrastructure, and our corporations.....

Do not concern yourself if America is ready for your message - trust me we are ready and the more unfiltered and genuine it is....the better.
><

austin356
12-21-2007, 03:37 AM
In all honesty while I share some of your concerns, I think you are looking at what the campaign should produce from YOUR eyes and not from the TYPICAL VOTER's eyes. By nature of being on these forums you inherently have a different train of though and reason (in a good way) than the average person we need to vote for Paul.

JoBurke
12-21-2007, 03:50 AM
Thanks for your reply....however, I feel that the backbone of this movement and the volume of votes or potential votes will come from people just like me - first time donors, first time voters, first timers to even consider getting involved types that are so passionate about it that they involve friends and family that are also first timers....

the stronger the message - the stronger the conviction....therefore the message should not be diluted.

also, let me ask - have you ever tried to change a person? or yourself? or let me take it back to: "You can lead a horse to water....."

It is too late in the game for be trying to be "fashionable" for "everyone"

the message is the truth and the only way. no need to hide it.

If the founding fathers were ready to fight for the freedoms in the face of tyranny...so should we...no need to sugar coat the message - Liberty and a Leader (Dr. Paul) truly elected by the people - or another type of Revolution. very simple.
><

Dave Pedersen
12-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Yes the most recent tv ad has been hailed as wunnerful. It is too fawning and too careful, just as you say. I really think the campaign team will be the last people in the country to "get it".

Perhaps some time in 2010 when they can look back through the old grassroots vids and say "how in the world could we have been so oblivious to what we were a part of?"

oblivious..

Dirt. We need to feel the good Earth under our feet. Dirt is good.

expatriot
12-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Perhaps they could attempt to be 'carefully' edgy.

There is a real pitfall in alienating potential voters by either being
too blah or too sharp, but there certainly appears to be room to increase the
differentiation as opposed to churning out yet another run-of-the-mill politician.

Cheers to all in the holidays.
This expat has just come home

RoamZero
12-21-2007, 04:12 AM
What future ads REALLY need to capture is the Ron Paul we see in those casual, under produced interviews we've seen him in.

Micahyah
12-21-2007, 04:21 AM
I think it's a good ad because it's so mainstream. The ideas are bold, but he is seen as fringe.

With these ads, he does seem like a regular candidate. Then people will look him up or see him in a debate or on TV and hear the ideas and vote for him.

Omphfullas Zamboni
12-21-2007, 04:42 AM
What future ads REALLY need to capture is the Ron Paul we see in those casual, under produced interviews we've seen him in.

Like that café interview where he spoke to the Houston Chronicle? I love that one.

JoBurke
12-21-2007, 04:43 AM
Please do not take this the wrong way Micahyah.....but....

that is exactly what we should not do - Dr. Paul should never be percieved as "a regular candidate" - that is the fastest way to lose this battle....then the war.

"regular candidates" have been ruining this country almost openly since WWII - the corruption is now so think you can cut it....

Dr. Paul is simply "not in on the take" and you can believe it because the message is so strong and honest.... this is what will last and not how "comfortable" we make him look....or how "adaptable" do you not see the danger here?

Those who minds will not be changed....is not the group the movement should be targeting....but rather the thousands that feel so strongly about the message that they take it upon themselves at great risk and initiative to promote the agenda....vigouresly to peers....because they want change!

CHANGE! not "pretty packaging" - the "political game" is the enemy! to break the chains we have to continue with raw honesty of the message yet, follow the existing rules of the process.

at no time should the message or the dedication to the movment be comprimised....lest it be turned into exactly what we are fighting against.

><

erikm
12-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Hmm. Maybe someone could put together an animated web-only 'spoof' ad for Ron Paul?

I don't have skills, time or resources in that department, but maybe a spoof based on the Star Wars Revenge of the Sith scene where Anakin enters the temple at the head of a column of stormtroopers. Reverse good and evil, cast Ron as Anakin and recast the stormtroopers as a motley group of people (all different), all in similar clothing, in sort-of formation and all with sort-of weaponry (clubs, spears, plungers, bow&arrow, rifles, kitchen sinks, etc. Whatever goes)

Merry christmas!
ErikM

anarchy
12-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Hi, I'm anarchy, and I support this message

FULLY AGREE WITH THIS THREAD!

Rebel Resource
12-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Remember that the 40-55 crowd, and people that know practically nothing about the real problems of America (thanks Murdoch!! :mad:) are the biggest potential gain areas for Paul.

These are people that don't believe the government is interfering in their lives, and are probably just wealthy enough to be content with income tax while (crucially) being wary of radical change and instability. They are detached from the war's reality and have been propagandised about "cutting and running". They are proud of American influence and dominance abroad. They don't see that the dollar is in so much trouble, as long as Walmart is cheap. And they live in the white suburbs, a long way from the Southern border.

I think the Ron Paul campaign knows exactly what its doing.

LibertyRevolution
12-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I have been saying the same thing since the first NH ad hit youtube.

fgd
12-21-2007, 08:40 AM
THIS MESSAGE FOR THE OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN AND ITS LEADERS.

Excuse my inquiry....but I am a little bit concerned about the TV ads I am seeing lately for Ohio etc.....It would seem to me that they are very "Careful" and (I hate to say this) "Politically Correct" - we must be very careful NOT to put Dr. Paul in the same space or light as a "typical candidate"....from the perspective of the first time voter....and even traditional republicans with blinders on....these TV ads really look "fake" or at least "similar to what everyone else does.

In my mind...you cant be real on one side....then fame the funk on the other meaning...yes, Dr. Paul delivered 4000 babies, yes, he served in the Air Force, yes, he wants to defend our freedoms - but that wasted some valuable time on the ad and that is not what is setting the fire under the ass of the movement....if we say it, we should mean it through and through - and not want to "tippy-toe" just to get some repub. votes from the "old garde"....the ad can have wonderful piano music....but should still stay 100% authentic...and say outright why we want Dr. Paul in the first place:

GET THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF YOUR LIFE!
GET RID OF THE IRS AND THE UNCONSTITUTIONAL INCOME TAX!
BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!
BRING BACK THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS TROOPS HOME WHICH SUPPORT OUR "EMPIRE" OVERSEES!
RETURN OUR CURRENCY TO THE GOLD STANDARD SO IT IS WORTH SOMETHING AGAIN!
PROTECT OUR OWN BORDERS!
HELP OURSELVES BEFORE WE HELP OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!
ETC. ETC.

This is what people are warming up too this is why people are willing to join the fight and the struggle and this is what people want - straight talk and action...

the fastest way to lose momentum in this movement is to not have the nuts to see the message through - and make no mistake about it...it is all about message...the second the Ron Paul "leadership" starts to comprimise the message in order to be "strategic" is the same time the ship begins to sink....let this be a warning....

Again I say...in an environment where many factions are against the Ron paul Movement - be it the Mainstream Media, The Neocons, The "Dems", The "Repubs" or whomever....we must always be aware that the biggest mistakes can be made from within if we deviate from the simple principles that is making Dr. Paul what he is becoming....and that is the last ray of hope for America....meaning, dont second guess or restrain the message in the last stretch....lest it be lost.

in other words, stay true to yourself Dr. Paul - and let your ads (that "represent" you) be more honest and more from the heart and not designed to seduce a vote from factions that are against you in the first place.... you got me with your message....and only your message, not your party, not your baby skills, your military record, not even your voting record (mind you I have no time to research it for accuracy) you got me because you stand for something and you do not comprimise that even though the cards are stacked against you from jump street - so.....please dont comprimise.

I am 44 years old, a PROUD Veteran of the Cold War, from 84 - 89 stationed in Germany, spreche deutsch fliessend, (speak german fluently) have been all over the world in business consulting, including all of Europe and Asia, have contributed twice to your fund (in the last 2 months) have seen America become the most looked up to country in the world reduced to the most hated country in the world due to ignorance, stupidity, and arrogance - oh yes, and let us not forget lies and the killing of thousands....kidnapping of hundreds and war profiteering, making a few billions and the poor get poorer in our own nation....

So you are preaching the gospel to me and I am surely not alone when I say, Yes, I am ready to die for my freedoms, especially if something should happen to you, just as I was standing on the wall over 20 years ago thinking I was defending our country from foreign enemies....when the real enemies fill our entire political system, our media, and our infrastructure, and our corporations.....

Do not concern yourself if America is ready for your message - trust me we are ready and the more unfiltered and genuine it is....the better.
><

I sort of agree. Those are the lines that get him the most cheers at speeches and debates.

terlinguatx
12-21-2007, 09:16 AM
The base is already aware of Paul's hardline stance. Now we're trying to bring in the mainstream by toning things down-- just political strategy at play. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

JoBurke
12-21-2007, 09:50 AM
The base is already aware of Paul's hardline stance. Now we're trying to bring in the mainstream by toning things down-- just political strategy at play. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Excuse me....but listen to yourself: "toning things down" I do not want to be negative...but I really do hope they know what they are doing at HQ - our future depends on it.

I hope you dont really mean that.

there is only one chance at this...now that we are mad enough to do something...we have to stay mad.
><

smtwngrl
12-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Excuse me....but listen to yourself: "toning things down" I do not want to be negative...but I really do hope they know what they are doing at HQ - our future depends on it.

I hope you dont really mean that.

there is only one chance at this...now that we are mad enough to do something...we have to stay mad.
><

No, we don't have to "stay mad". Or, in other words, you don't have to focus on "being angry" in order to be determined.

The press has sometimes characterized the Ron Paul Revolution as a lot of angry people, but I don't think that is a fair assessment. One thing that prevails here.....and at Ron Paul rallies.....is a lot of positive energy. We are motivated not just by what we don't want, but by what we do want. And we've also learned that what many other people don't yet know. If we are determined, we can make a difference.

Ron Paul's positions are not extreme. They may represent a radical departure from the status quo, but they are the only alternative to continuing the direction in which our country is headed--towards being less and less free.

His positions may sound extreme in 30 second sound bites. But when he is given the opportunity to explain them in more detail, including how he will implement the things he has talked about, he doesn't sound extreme at all, even to a lot of "mainstream" people.

The ads aren't to explain his whole campaign, just to catch attention and get the person listening to seek more info.