PDA

View Full Version : Some people just cant be convinced...

happyphilter
12-21-2007, 02:17 AM
I had a long debate with a guy going into the army tonight arguing policy and such, I never mentioned ron paul, I was just trying to sell him on his ideas. I tried for 2 hours and couldent convince this guy.
When I brought up competing currencies he said "I don't know what that is" Than went on to tell me how it would never work and was such a bad idea before I even could explain what it was. Than we debated patriotism and government representation, he kept saying that you earn your freedom and at any point it should be taken away for not obeying the government, and if there was a draft and you refused you should be shot. He also blamed the American people for what is going on in Iraq(I never voted to go) and said that we should be drafted to go over there to help clean up "your mess" when saying your I just got pissed, like he was blaming me because I wasn't in the army? anyway...
Just kinda frustrated I guess. We agreed on a lot, but from his military standpoint he was so close minded for not even being deployed yet.

On the bright side I think I turned my hard nose dad around, I watched the Glenn Beck interview with him last night and he really took to ron paul and even said it looked like the media was trying to make him look bad. And this is coming from my dad has never been heard.

hellah10
12-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Just kinda frustrated I guess. We agreed on a lot, but from his military standpoint he was so close minded for not even being deployed yet.

alot of vets are frustrated... he needs to know this. I wish I coulda sat down with him and gave him the downlo on what to expect in the army...

i think hes a little brainwashed right now... the army does that to get ya ready. they show ya motivation videos and get you all excited for whats to come. He is not prepared, but he will adjust very quickly to the army lifestyle. He will certainly see Iraq - I wish him the very best of luck

user
12-21-2007, 02:22 AM
I had a long debate with a guy going into the army tonight arguing policy and such, I never mentioned ron paul, I was just trying to sell him on his ideas. I tried for 2 hours and couldent convince this guy.
When I brought up competing currencies he said "I don't know what that is" Than went on to tell me how it would never work and was such a bad idea before I even could explain what it was. Than we debated patriotism and government representation, he kept saying that you earn your freedom and at any point it should be taken away for not obeying the government, and if there was a draft and you refused you should be shot. He also blamed the American people for what is going on in Iraq(I never voted to go) and said that we should be drafted to go over there to help clean up "your mess" when saying your I just got pissed, like he was blaming me because I wasn't in the army? anyway...

On the bright side I think I turned my hard nose dad around, I watched the Glenn Beck interview with him last night and he really took to ron paul and even said it looked like the media was trying to make him look bad. And this is coming from my dad has never been heard.

It's hard to convince someone who hates freedom so much.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:22 AM
I don't mind if people don't vote for Ron Paul.

I DO mind if they don't vote for him because they're not thinking.

Some people have different ideas, that's cool. We all have different ideas too.

Just happens that this time our ideas are better. :)

billv
12-21-2007, 02:23 AM
Tell him to quit being a fascist. Seriously though, I doubt there would be any getting through to him at least before teh election just because of his initial response to your competing currencies point.

DirtMcGirt
12-21-2007, 02:24 AM
RP is a true patriot

itsnobody
12-21-2007, 02:24 AM
Even though some are frustrated Ron Paul still gets the most donations from the military :)

happyphilter
12-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Just a downer for me. Its the first person I couldn't persuade in the least. But I do feel that I may have won 2 or 3 other people there witnessing this debate, I think they saw that he was way off base. I got compliments after we were done like "wow you really know what you are talking about" or "That all really makes sense" However it was 2am and I forgot the ron paul mention, so ill just email em some vids =]

electronicmaji
12-21-2007, 02:29 AM
I understand but so far I haven't been able to convince anyone especially my parents. They all want to vote for huckabomb.

Well its logical considering I'm in Arkansas.

greves
12-21-2007, 02:31 AM
The problem with guys like this is that they're brainwashed. Literally, factually, really brainwashed. But there's no way to tell someone who's brainwashed that they're brainwashed. It's definitely a hard sell. If you want to talk to a brainwashed person about liberty/freedom, you have to get really personal with it, and try to show them how in their own lives they don't allow themselves to have or want freedom. Until they see it missing in themselves, they'll never see it missing in society.

sasha_2008
12-21-2007, 02:54 AM
You might find these videos helpful:

Liberty Sells Itself Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr3yEvGOAi8)
Liberty Sells Itself Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra4vksazLec)
Liberty Sells Itself Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LOyn-vwfVI)

evandi
12-21-2007, 03:42 AM
I honestly believe that lots of people make a decision between two choices when authoritarianism arises.

Some think, if there's a police state I'd better join the police, instead of thinking lets reduce the power of the police by having more oversight and not taking a policeman's word as gospel .

He is embracing the police state. Towards someone like that one should not espouse reason. Reason will not work because in reality it is perfectly reasonable to choose to go along with a police state instead of fight it if it seems to you like the police state will happen. In a police state the police are much more powerful then the average person, and lots of people are thinking that if things don't turn around, the military might eventually be used as police in order to bring about the sort of authoritarian bullshit that goes along with things like the patriot act and all the things Ron Paul is fighting.

If you want to change his mind show him that you absolutely hate his guts, because he is fixing to be a traitor.

nbhadja
12-21-2007, 03:45 AM
This guy was obviously extremely brainwashed. He is hopeless.