PDA

View Full Version : ***OFFICIAL WeAreRonPaul.com ideas

tomveil
12-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Alright, we've officially chosen the name for the website where we can give background information about ourselves!

www.WeAreRonPaul.com

For those of you just hearing about it, check out:

Idea Being Hatched:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61101

First Voting Round:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61346

Run-off Voting Round:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61548

---------------------------------------------------------------------

History:

NPR ran an article yesterday (http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/2007/12/who_are_ron_pauls_supporters.html). Very soon after, people started telling their stories. And kept telling them. And kept telling them. They were forced to start disabling comments because they couldn't keep up after 3200+ comments!

Now we're turning this idea into a website! www.WeAreRonPaul.com will have information about US, written BY us! No more will we have to be classified as "fringe internet supporters". Here's a chance to direct people to a site where Ron Paul supporters can tell their own stories!

This site will be fully searchable, so new people can narrow down searches to find people of the same age/location, or to read about a certain issue! And that's really where the site shines. If you want to read what REAL TEACHERS think about Ron Paul's stance about the Department of Education, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO DO THAT! If you want to read what ACTUAL TROOPS are saying about Ron Paul's foriegn policy, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO DO THAT! Don't leave it up to the media to say what people are saying, LET'S SAY IT OURSELVES!

Now that we've decided on a name, let's decide on what issues could be featured! Ideas that we've already gotten:

Education
Foriegn Policy
Religion (inc Abortion)
Personal Liberty
Buisness (inc Small Buisness)
Economics
Medical/Health Care

Plus, all non-specific comments will also show in the "general" section of the site. Somebody mentioned that to print out all of the comments to the NPR article, it would have taken 682 PAGES! Imagine, thousands and thousands of personal testimonials from real Ron Paul supporters, all searchable and genuine!

-------------------------------------------------

Also, I figured that we'll need an introduction to the site. It's pretty late, but here's what I've got so far. As always, your input is greatly appreciated!

www.WeAreRonPaul.com

Through the campaign season, I'm sure that you've seen the signs asking "Who Is Ron Paul?". Perhaps you've "Googled" Ron Paul, as other signs suggest. But the real answer to this question is simple:

We are Ron Paul.

The media trys to label us, desperate to understand what it is that we are drawn to in Dr. Paul's message. But they are unable, because there's no single thing. We're all here for different reasons. The differences in our backgrounds and political views are irrelevant, because FREEDOM IS POPULAR!

So feel free to look around. We've got teachers who support Ron Paul, listen to what they think about Education! Want to know why Ron Paul gets more money from the military than any other candidate? The troops will tell you IN THEIR OWN WORDS! And it doesn't stop there. Buisnessmen, Economists, Nurses, Housewives, and others from all walks of life and backgrounds. Their stories are all here. We hope you enjoy them.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 01:54 AM
OK, I was up until 7 AM last night and woke up at 11 to start up this project again, and I JUST can't do it again :) So I'm going to bed, please people give ideas or bump the thread so the "night crew" can read it and give feedback too.

The guy who owns www.WeAreRonPaul.com, are you interested in helping with this project? If not, would you trade your domain name for another of your choice that we can reserve for you?

If you're a webmaster, are you interested in this project? I'm not an expert or anything, but it seems like it's a pretty easy one, as new webpages go :)

Good night everybody! It's been an awesome day, I'm so proud of you guys :D

Oliver
12-21-2007, 02:01 AM
I think that they stopped posting after 3500+ comments IN ONE SINGLE DAY!

Sorry for the side-question: Where did you get
the number "3500+ comments" from? :confused:

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Sorry for the side-question: Where did you get
the number "3500+ comments" from? :confused:

6:52 CST searched for

instances of the following words in the whole page. 3,247 posts

republican = 1,028
democrat = 462
independent = 160
mother = 215
father = 365
female = 267
male = 851
man = 1,425
woman = 78
military = 146
marine/marines = 57
black = 29
african =2
hispanic = 16
white = 118
asian = 16
hillary = 28
Clinton = 82
revolution = 182
guiliani = 6
romney = 20
huckabee = 15
tancredo = 0
obama = 31
christian = 185
atheist = 36
student = 447
artist = 51
professional = 76
constitution = 997

"never voted" = 138

Take it for what it's worth... I was curious.. this is NOT scientific! :) it's one step up from reading tea leaves.

Oops, it may be 3200 comments, not 3500 before they shut them off.

Energy
12-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Ideas:

* Google Mashup to show national and worldwide support (each person would have to enter city/state or zip, or country)
* Video section (embedded youtube so no bandwidth issues)
* Testimonials can be written and/or have a video (supporter provides youtube link)

The input form for entering testimonial (keep it dead simple):

==============
1. Name
2. Age
3. Location
4. Drop-down menu for issues (initial value is "General" - can write anything they want, just like the NPR page)
5. Main message AND/OR Youtube Link (people can type a message AND/OR submit youtube link) -- message can accept limited HTML

[Preview] [Submit] (maybe add a captcha)
===============

After approval, if person submitted a youtube link, the website automatically creates an embedded video in the testimonial.

Keep the site lean and clean. KISS, no bloat.

Question: Do we want people to enter an email address? One purpose is to send them an email with a confirmation link for them to click on to fully submit the entry - just an extra step to ensure a unique person is submitting and adds a level of authenticity.

Optional:
* picture upload (one or multiple)

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:12 AM
Ideas:

* Google Mashup to show national and worldwide support (each person would have to enter city/state or zip, or country)
* Video section (embedded youtube so no bandwidth issues)
* Testimonials can be written and/or have a video (supporter provides youtube link)

The input form for entering testimonial (keep it dead simple):

==============
1. Name
2. Age
3. Location
4. Drop-down menu for issues (initial value is "General" - can write anything they want, just like the NPR page)
5. Main message AND/OR Youtube Link (people can type a message AND/OR submit youtube link) -- message can accept limited HTML

[Preview] [Submit] (maybe add a captcha)
===============

After approval, if person submitted a youtube link, the website automatically creates an embedded video in the testimonial.

Keep the site lean and clean. KISS, no bloat.

Question: Do we want people to enter an email address? One purpose is to send them an email with a confirmation link for them to click on to fully submit the entry - just an extra step to ensure a unique person is submitting and adds a level a authenticity.

Optional:
* picture upload

I like all these ideas. I agree the site has to be simple and easy to navigate. The real pull is the stories themselves, we don't want to detract from them. I also think we should confirm e-mail addresses. That way we can prove that we're not just "a couple dozen" spammers writing...I guess....130 stories each :)

kimosabi
12-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Great domain name, we along with the people that we are up against have to realise that every single one of us is Ron Paul...

Oliver
12-21-2007, 02:17 AM
You're correct, thanks. :)

3219 comments so far according to Dreamweaver.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:19 AM
You're correct, thanks. :)

3219 comments so far according to Dreamweaver.

Pretty good. How long was the comment section actually accepting posts? I would check, but last time I tried to open it my computer crashed *laugh*

bucfish
12-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Awesome idea! Keep up the good work!

Oliver
12-21-2007, 02:23 AM
Pretty good. How long was the comment section actually accepting posts? I would check, but last time I tried to open it my computer crashed *laugh*

I still see the "add a comment"-field. So it doesn't seem to be closed yet...

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:26 AM
I still see the "add a comment"-field. So it doesn't seem to be closed yet...

How long has it been since the last post? I think that the comments are still being taken, but now it says "Mod will read it", instead of posting right away. I don't think they're posting anymore because there were so many hits.

Energy
12-21-2007, 02:29 AM
I like all these ideas. I agree the site has to be simple and easy to navigate. The real pull is the stories themselves, we don't want to detract from them. I also think we should confirm e-mail addresses. That way we can prove that we're not just "a couple dozen" spammers writing...I guess....130 stories each :)

I agree, stories are the main focus. We can require a minimum number of characters to encourage more content (so that it's not just a couple sentences).

The Google map thing can be added later so as to get the site up sooner. Just collect location til then.

kimosabi
12-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Alright, we've officially chosen the name for the website where we can give background information about ourselves!

www.WeAreRonPaul.com (http://www.WeAreRonPaul.com)

For those of you just hearing about it, check out:

Idea Being Hatched:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61101

First Voting Round:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61346

Run-off Voting Round:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61548

---------------------------------------------------------------------

History:

NPR ran an article yesterday (http://www.npr.org/blogs/bryantpark/2007/12/who_are_ron_pauls_supporters.html). Very soon after, people started telling their stories. And kept telling them. And kept telling them. I think that they stopped posting after 3200+ comments IN ONE SINGLE DAY!

Now we're turning this idea into a website! www.WeAreRonPaul.com (http://www.WeAreRonPaul.com) will have information about US, written BY us! No more will we have to be classified as "fringe internet supporters". Here's a chance to direct people to a site where Ron Paul supporters can tell their own stories!

This site will be fully searchable, so new people can narrow down searches to find people of the same age/location, or to read about a certain issue! And that's really where the site shines. If you want to read what REAL TEACHERS think about Ron Paul's stance about the Department of Education, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO DO THAT! If you want to read what ACTUAL TROOPS are saying about Ron Paul's foriegn policy, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO DO THAT! Don't leave it up to the media to say what people are saying, LET'S SAY IT OURSELVES!

Now that we've decided on a name, let's decide on what issues could be featured! Ideas that we've already gotten:

Education
Foriegn Policy
Religion (inc Abortion)
Personal Liberty
Buisness (inc Small Buisness)
Economics
Medical/Health Care

Plus, all non-specific comments will also show in the "general" section of the site. Somebody mentioned that to print out all of the comments to the NPR article, it would have taken 682 PAGES! Imagine, thousands and thousands of personal testimonials from real Ron Paul supporters, all searchable and genuine!

-------------------------------------------------

Also, I figured that we'll need an introduction to the site. It's pretty late, but here's what I've got so far. As always, your input is greatly appreciated!

www.WeAreRonPaul.com (http://www.WeAreRonPaul.com)

Through the campaign season, I'm sure that you've seen the signs asking "Who Is Ron Paul?". Perhaps you've "Googled" Ron Paul, as other signs suggest. But the real answer to this question is simple:

We are Ron Paul.

The media trys to label us, desperate to understand what it is that we are drawn to in Dr. Paul's message. But they are unable, because there's no single thing. We're all here for different reasons. The differences in our backgrounds and political views are irrelevant, because FREEDOM IS POPULAR!

So feel free to look around. We've got teachers who support Ron Paul, listen to what they think about Education! Want to know why Ron Paul gets more money from the military than any other candidate? The troops will tell you IN THEIR OWN WORDS! And it doesn't stop there. Buisnessmen, Economists, Nurses, Housewives, and others from all walks of life and backgrounds. Their stories are all here. We hope you enjoy them.
We should have an official Ron Paul Mask sign waving day where we all sign wave wearing Ron Paul Masks like on V for Vendetta...

The other thing that would be great is some "I am Ron Paul" t-shirts/hats etc being printed up.

The establishment needs to understand that Ron Paul represents us, not the other way around...

Oliver
12-21-2007, 02:30 AM
How long has it been since the last post? I think that the comments are still being taken, but now it says "Mod will read it", instead of posting right away. I don't think they're posting anymore because there were so many hits.

The last comment added is this one:
Sent by Terrance S | 3:37 PM ET | 12-20-2007

According to my clock, this seems to be a future
comment... :D

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:32 AM
The last comment added is this one:
Sent by Terrance S | 3:37 PM ET | 12-20-2007

According to my clock, this seems to be a future
comment... :D

3:37 PM ET was almost exactly 12 hours ago. Today is the 21st :)

Oliver
12-21-2007, 02:35 AM
3:37 PM ET was almost exactly 12 hours ago. Today is the 21st :)

Argh. *lol* I see. :D

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Argh. *lol* I see. :D

And that thing got put up late last night. How long was it on? 12 hours or so? 12 hours in the middle of the night, and we get 3200+ comments? How many more would have gone on today?

I think we'll find out on this site :)

EvilEngineer
My contribution from a similar idea from yesterday.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61077

Working on the site design right now. I'll host the rough sketch here in a bit.

LibertyForAll
I tried to add a comment there about 3pm Pacific. It took the comment but it hasn't been posted. I imagine thousands more comments have yet to be posted there. So YES the WeareRonPaul website is a fantastic idea.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:39 AM
My contribution from a similar idea from yesterday.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61077

Working on the site design right now. I'll host the rough sketch here in a bit.

That would be AWESOME! Can you work in the "Who Is Ron Paul", maybe from the blimp banner? Cross promotions are great, and it fits right into our theme!

Oliver
12-21-2007, 02:59 AM
And that thing got put up late last night. How long was it on? 12 hours or so? 12 hours in the middle of the night, and we get 3200+ comments? How many more would have gone on today?

I think we'll find out on this site :)

Let's see:

First comment: Sent by Jared | 10:20 AM ET | 12-18-2007
Last one: Sent by Terrance S | 3:37 PM ET | 12-20-2007

Oliver
12-21-2007, 03:03 AM
2 days, 5 hours, 17 minutes

coboman
12-21-2007, 03:23 AM
A link to a YouTube, so that people can upload a video of themselves talking about Ron Paul.

It would be a much more convincing seeing and hearing people themselves explaining why they support Ron Paul.

In fact, I think that a YouTube channel, with video responses from everyone (like the Blasphemy Challenge), could make us own youTube.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 03:24 AM
A link to a YouTube, so that people can upload a video of themselves talking about Ron Paul.

It would be a much more convincing seeing and hearing people themselves explaining why they support Ron Paul.

In fact, I think that a YouTube channel, with video responses from everyone (like the Blasphemy Challenge), could make us own youTube.

Yes, there will be an option to upload a video as well, as well as a section of the page that will have ONLY videos.

Energy
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
bump

Ethek
12-21-2007, 11:04 AM
I think there should be an area for people who have met Ron Paul to upload pictures of themselves with Ron Paul.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I think there should be an area for people who have met Ron Paul to upload pictures of themselves with Ron Paul.

Also a good idea :) and morning bump :)

tomveil
12-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Well I'm off to work, if anybody has anything urgent to post about this (Especially on the webmaster side of it, shoot me a PM) I'll be around a computer today but not really on the forums. Have to be a little productive :)

Thanks to everybody who's helped, this is going to be great!

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:17 PM
From another thread, but this is too good not to share!

I made a shirt that says "We are Ron Paul".

http://la.gg/v/WeAreRonPaul800.jpg

Energy
12-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Just so we're all clear, who's handling the web designing and programming, EvilEngineer?

Do we have hosting? If not, let's get it so we can set up the nameserver changes.

Let's put up a temporary page at WeAreRonPaul.com

cicatrice
12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Are we going to have a sort option to break down the demographics? I think that would be neat...

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Just so we're all clear, who's handling the web designing and programming, EvilEngineer?

Do we have hosting? If not, let's get it so we can set up the nameserver changes.

Let's put up a temporary page at WeAreRonPaul.com

I just got a private message from a web-gineer who is willing to help. Earlier in this thread somebody said that they were working on an outline and it should be ready soon.

A couple threads ago somebody who said they owned the site chimed in, but I haven't heard anything since then. It looks like now we're onto the more technical aspects of the site, which is great! We'll get this done :D

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Are we going to have a sort option to break down the demographics? I think that would be neat...

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to do that.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Here's the shirt that was made! Pretty awesome stuff!

http://la.gg/thmb550/WeAreRonPaul800.jpg

Energy
12-21-2007, 02:39 PM
To keep things straight, so far:

WeAreRonPaul.com domain owner: Chernitsky
Making an outline: EvilEngineer
"web-gineer" who PM'd Tom: lasenorita

A feature to have: a page with word-frequency analysis all of the entries, like what thumbto did.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 03:07 PM
To keep things straight, so far:

WeAreRonPaul.com domain owner: Chernitsky
Making an outline: EvilEngineer
and a "web-gineer" who PM'd Tom.

A feature to have: a page with word-frequency analysis all of the entries, like what thumbto did.

lasenorita is the one who PMed me, to keep information correct and up-to date.

Also, a link that would show ALL comments, along with a link that would tell you how many pages it would be if you printed them all. (Somebody on the NPR thread said 682 before they cut it!)

tomveil
12-21-2007, 04:10 PM
My local meet-up group leader called and everybody's very excited about this! Too bad Christmas is so close and things are so hectic :)

Rebel Resource
12-21-2007, 04:13 PM
THIS SHOULD BE A PHOTO SITE

Everybody can use photobucket etc to host a photo....

Remember what happened after Kerry lost, where americans made lots of "Sorry" photos to show to the international audience? It was amazingly cool and creative.

Let's do something really f'ing cool with this...NO BETTER WAY TO PROVE UNIQUE SUPPORTERS THAN PHOTOS!! And people will see RP supports comes from every quarter.

We can have a requirement that you must be POINTING AT at something to do with ron paul....his face (in real life possibly!), a RP sign, his website on the computer, etc

As well as the photo you can write something as well if you want. And recommended is that you have your Top Priorities: getting troops out, fed reserve monopoly, patriot act, etc....

This could be sooooo excellent. More ideas coming soon.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
THIS SHOULD BE A PHOTO SITE

Everybody can use photobucket etc to host a photo....

Remember what happened after Kerry lost, where americans made lots of "Sorry" photos to show to the international audience? It was amazingly cool and creative.

Let's do something really f'ing cool with this...NO BETTER WAY TO PROVE UNIQUE SUPPORTERS THAN PHOTOS!! And people will see RP supports comes from every quarter.

We can have a requirement that you must be POINTING AT at something to do with ron paul....his face (in real life possibly!), a RP sign, his website on the computer, etc

As well as the photo you can write something as well if you want. And recommended is that you have your Top Priorities: getting troops out, fed reserve monopoly, patriot act, etc....

This could be sooooo excellent. More ideas coming soon.

I agree people should have the option to leave a picture if they want to. We do want it to be as easy as possible to throw up a comment/story, though. But we can have a picture section right along with the video section too!

lasenorita
12-21-2007, 05:16 PM
"Web-gineer" here. :D I'm actually more familiar with design and coding in xhtml/css ...not the back-end stuff. We'll have to decide what sort of Content Management System (http://opensourcecms.com/) to use in order to be able to implement all the great ideas in this thread.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
"Web-gineer" here. :D I'm actually more familiar with design and coding in xhtml/css ...not the back-end stuff. We'll have to decide what sort of Content Management System (http://opensourcecms.com/) to use in order to be able to implement all the great ideas in this thread.

I have very little technical knowledge, so that's probably something that you would have to talk to EvilEngineer about.

Also, for the amount of comments that we're going to get, we're going to need some people who can read through/accept comments. I'm willing to put in time, but a group of 5 or 10 people who can do it on their own time when they get a chance would be great too. Any volunteers?

Cleaner44
12-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Let's have the website collect basic demographics information much like a Census. Then we will be able to provide more insight to who the Ron Paul supporters are and breal this misconception that we are a bunch of college student conspiracy nuts.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Let's have the website collect basic demographics information much like a Census. Then we will be able to provide more insight to who the Ron Paul supporters are and breal this misconception that we are a bunch of college student conspiracy nuts.

Right on! All information will be voluntary in nature, but I'd imagine that almost everybody will be comfortable with Age/Location and some other basic information. Visitors on the site will be able to filter messages to more easily find people that they can connect with!

Probably we should even set up a "stats" page where we can see people in different age groups, professions, etc. Would be good for quick relaying of demographic information in debates :)

One thing was obvious after reading that NPR comments section, we are NOT just a bunch of young internet geeks. That's why this site will be so important. Something easy to point people to to debunk the entire myth, and all in our own words!

Energy
12-21-2007, 06:30 PM
So what's the progress so far? Do we have hosting? Is the site currently being coded? What's the next step?

tomveil
12-21-2007, 06:43 PM
So what's the progress so far? Do we have hosting? Is the site currently being coded? What's the next step?

I'm letting the techies handle the techie questions *laugh*. I know that we have our two volunteers, but don't know what their schedules look like or when we're likely to have a workable demo to test-run.

On the "layman" end, we should line up a group of people to read and accept the comments as they come in. This will probably start out as a LOT of reading as people sumbit their sites first, but taper off after a couple weeks. (Or maybe not, who knows?) Perhaps assign different people to different sections?

Once we get an outline of a site, we can work together to shape it and get it looking as good as we can. Does anybody else have any ideas? Anybody have a specialty that they can put twords making it happen?

Rebel Resource
12-21-2007, 07:37 PM
I was just thinking if this could be a tool for beating vote fraud in Iowa and NH, or failing that the 2008 general election itself....hear me out.

Let's say we have people taking their pictures while pointing to a ron paul sign, with a backdrop that can easily be identified as a location within a primary state. (Possibly holding a form of card identification!)

Then, provided we can have a checkbox eg "I DO INTEND TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL IN THE N.H. PRIMARY" (and also which voting area), we'd have an important record of a minimum amount of people that intend to vote, and even more critically, a proportional guide to which voting areas are more pro-RP than others.

(Of course, the feasibility of this whole plan is mass participation...something we couldn't do for the primaries, I don't think, but certainly for 2008)

Therefore if vote was perpetrated, we could instantly see WHERE by checking official counts in various areas against our charts for the same areas. (Our numbers can be studied alongside the total electoral register to get proportional accuracy).

It would make vote fraud a lot riskier because to combat our system (provided enough people participated) you would have to spread fraud across multiple areas to make it unnoticeable.

Certainly, if vote fraud is to be beaten then an 'alternative voting record' needs to exist.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 07:44 PM
I was just thinking if this could be a tool for beating vote fraud in Iowa and NH, or failing that the 2008 general election itself....hear me out.

Let's say we have people taking their pictures while pointing to a ron paul sign, with a backdrop that can easily be identified as a location within a primary state. (Possibly holding a form of card identification!)

Then, provided we can have a checkbox eg "I DO INTEND TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL IN THE N.H. PRIMARY" (and also which voting area), we'd have an important record of a minimum amount of people that intend to vote, and even more critically, a proportional guide to which voting areas are more pro-RP than others.

(Of course, the feasibility of this whole plan is mass participation...something we couldn't do for the primaries, I don't think, but certainly for 2008)

Therefore if vote was perpetrated, we could instantly see WHERE by checking official counts in various areas against our charts for the same areas. (Our numbers can be studied alongside the total electoral register to get proportional accuracy).

It would make vote fraud a lot riskier because to combat our system (provided enough people participated) you would have to spread fraud across multiple areas to make it unnoticeable.

Certainly, if vote fraud is to be beaten then an 'alternative voting record' needs to exist.

Which is why we need paper trails. But honestly, we'd never get the #s on this site to make sure that every person was represented :(

tomveil
12-21-2007, 08:22 PM
*blimp* Still looking for site volunteers to read and accept comments :)

Ibtz
12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Will there be a map on the site to catalog the location of all the people who respond?

Ibtz
12-21-2007, 08:36 PM
*blimp* Still looking for site volunteers to read and accept comments :)

I can help as long as I can do it in the evenings.

tomveil
12-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I can help as long as I can do it in the evenings.

Yes, you'd be able to do it as much or as little as you can, on your own time. Please PM me your e-mail address so we can get a little mailing list going with updates.

Ibtz
12-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Sent!

tomveil
12-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Sent!

Got it! Thanks and welcome aboard :D

Delain
12-21-2007, 10:43 PM
How about a section for foreigners? Letters from around the world or something.

Not so much as "meddling in internal politics" ;) but perhaps it is interesting for Americans to read what people in other countries have to say?

The whole thing is just waiting to go global as it I believe and it would underline the universal values in Ron Pauls message. :)

"Interestingly Ron Paul's campaign for Freedom is not just a phenomenon that is limited to America. It's Global" (http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20071220/bs_prweb/prweb588521_2)

tomveil
12-21-2007, 11:56 PM
How about a section for foreigners? Letters from around the world or something.

Not so much as "meddling in internal politics" ;) but perhaps it is interesting for Americans to read what people in other countries have to say?

The whole thing is just waiting to go global as it I believe and it would underline the universal values in Ron Pauls message. :)

"Interestingly Ron Paul's campaign for Freedom is not just a phenomenon that is limited to America. It's Global" (http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20071220/bs_prweb/prweb588521_2)

I see no reason that we couldn't include foriegners on the site. The NPR had a lot of people under 18 posting. So it's not just people who can vote for him. While it may seem like Americans don't care what the world thinks, that's only a small minority of us. They just have the power right now *sigh*

Welcome aboard from abroad :D

bucfish
12-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Let's coordinate with Blitz the Media to get letters out to the Media advertising this site!!!

tomveil
12-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Let's coordinate with Blitz the Media to get letters out to the Media advertising this site!!!

After we get it up :)

I know, I can't wait either! Best site ever!

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed and resolved but...........

Absolutely no names or other identifying information should be included on this We Are Ron Paul website. This information would be used to identify and discard poll workers, delegates, etc., and could very well be used to have our votes negated. A list like this would be very helpful for the very people who are determined to keep us out of the race. Have you all heard of something called "caging lists"? This would be their wet dream to supply this list for them.

I like the idea of the We Are Ron Paul website but absolutely no names or other information that they can data mine.

tomveil
12-22-2007, 12:21 AM

Absolutely no names or other identifying information should be included on this We Are Ron Paul website. This information would be used to identify and discard poll workers, delegates, etc., and could very well be used to have our votes negated. A list like this would be very helpful for the very people who are determined to keep us out of the race. Have you all heard of something called "caging lists"? This would be their wet dream to supply this list for them.

I like the idea of the We Are Ron Paul website but absolutely no names or other information that they can data mine.

All information will be voluntary. If you don't want to give any info, you don't have to. But remember that WE will be using this as an e-mail list and demographic snapshot of our support.

And let them try to cage us. I think they might lose a hand or two.....

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 12:37 AM
All information will be voluntary. If you don't want to give any info, you don't have to. But remember that WE will be using this as an e-mail list and demographic snapshot of our support.

And let them try to cage us. I think they might lose a hand or two.....

Voluntary or not, there are too many naive people to understand that their name may be used on a caging list if they provide it. It should NOT be an option....period. You do not need a name to get demographic information.

Surely you all have figured out by now that we are the enemy of the Repulican neo-cons right? Why on earth would you want to give them your name and make it so easy for them to minimize any efforts in the process? So you want to be a poll worker at the thugs voting polls huh (checks Ron Paul supporter database that WE supplied)? Sorry but we already have all the pollworkers we need. Move along now lil' doggy!

No names!

tomveil
12-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Voluntary or not, there are too many naive people to understand that their name may be used on a caging list if they provide it. It should NOT be an option....period. You do not need a name to get demographic information.

Surely you all have figured out by now that we are the enemy of the Repulican neo-cons right? Why on earth would you want to give them your name and make it so easy for them to minimize any efforts in the process? So you want to be a poll worker at the thugs voting polls huh (checks Ron Paul supporter database that WE supplied)? Sorry but we already have all the pollworkers we need. Move along now lil' doggy!

No names!

Wow. OK man. You know that our names are already out there, right? ;)

Still, I'll let the forum comment.......

Energy
12-22-2007, 12:52 AM

No names!

If it's an issue, we can just get first names. For unique ones, use first initial.

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Wow. OK man. You know that our names are already out there, right? ;)

Still, I'll let the forum comment.......

I am aware but it would take them months to data mine this information if they choose to. On the other hand it would take us days to provide it for them.

I see you have only been posting here for 17 days and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are not intentionally doing this for the Neo-cons purpose, but frankly I don't think a person who has not established creds here should be trusted with our emails either. There is no reason for another mailing list as there is plenty of them already via Meet up.com and MySpace, etc.

Maybe you haven't been following the RP movement liong enough and are one of the naive to the dirty tricks of the NeoCons but I have given yo a couple examples of the dangers.

tomveil
12-22-2007, 01:12 AM
I am aware but it would take them months to data mine this information if they choose to. On the other hand it would take us days to provide it for them.

I see you have only been posting here for 17 days and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are not intentionally doing this for the Neo-cons purpose, but frankly I don't think a person who has not established creds here should be trusted with our emails either. There is no reason for another mailing list as there is plenty of them already via Meet up.com and MySpace, etc.

Maybe you haven't been following the RP movement liong enough and are one of the naive to the dirty tricks of the NeoCons but I have given yo a couple examples of the dangers.

I refuse to even acknowledge this.

THEY HAVE DONOR LISTS, DUDE.

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 01:29 AM
I refuse to even acknowledge this.

THEY HAVE DONOR LISTS, DUDE.

They only have donar lists of people who have donated over $200.00 and is hardly a comprehensive list of supporter's.

Why are you so persistent on this when I have told you of some of the dangers? Do you not believe me that they would use this as a caging list? Why is it so important to you to have people's names?

tomveil
12-22-2007, 01:40 AM
They only have donar lists of people who have donated over $200.00 and is hardly a comprehensive list of supporter's.

Why are you so persistent on this when I have told you of some of the dangers? Do you not believe me that they would use this as a caging list? Why is it so important to you to have people's names?

Because, retard, the whole point of the site is so people can go on and FIND OTHER PEOPLE LIKE THEM WHO SUPPORT RON PAUL. If you take away NAMES on the site, the PEOPLE telling the STORIES turn into NOT-PEOPLE. It's SIMPLE HUMAN EMOTION.

Am I really explaining this to you?

Really?

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Because, retard, the whole point of the site is so people can go on and FIND OTHER PEOPLE LIKE THEM WHO SUPPORT RON PAUL. If you take away NAMES on the site, the PEOPLE telling the STORIES turn into NOT-PEOPLE. It's SIMPLE HUMAN EMOTION.

Am I really explaining this to you?

Really?

That's what Meet Up groups are for.

I've told you of the very real dangers of this list and I am now very skeptical of your real purpose here since you refuse to see the dangers of it. You have only been posting here for 17 days and have no cred here as far as I am concerned. Since you refuse to see the dangers of a list like this and have been reduced to name calling now, you are not to be trusted.

WARNING TO MEMBERS.....DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS DATA MINING EXERCISE WHICH IS ASKING FOR YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS OR ANY SIMILAR EXERCISE SUCH AS THIS WHICH IS NOT HEADED BY A PERSON WHO HAS ESTABLISHED CRED ON THIS BOARD. THIS LIST WILL BE USED AS A CAGING LIST BY THE NEO-CONS TO PREVENT YOU FROM PARTICIPATING IN POLL WATCHING AND BECOMING A DELEGATE, ETC.

Crickett
12-22-2007, 02:44 AM
Sounds great. Please spell "business" right as you have it misspelled several times.. and " foreign", too.. Need a proofreader? I will volunteer..

Energy
12-22-2007, 02:51 AM
As pointed out before, we can just get first names. For really unique ones, we chop it down to first initial.

bucfish
12-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Canwe get a coordination with BlitzThemedia ready. To swamp the media with letters asking the media to check out the site. Also with local meetups so we can get coordinated and get the local as well as the national media. We can plan now to get OUR letters addressed and get leeters ready. Be nice in your letter and ask for them to seek for themselves the site weareronpaul.com.

bucfish
12-22-2007, 03:10 AM
On the name thing use first name only and age do not give state or anything else.

Delain
12-22-2007, 03:27 AM

I agree that it shouldnt collect any personal info that can be used to indentify people.

However some info would be ok imo

name - people can use first names or pseudonyms, mention this next to the box
State - for creating demographic maps

Rebel Resource
12-22-2007, 09:48 AM
This is your inspiration guys

http://www.sorryeverybody.com/

Energy
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Anyone know where we're at for hosting and site development?

We haven't seen a rough sketch yet.

Let us know so we can plan this out, get developer if needed, etc.

tomveil
12-22-2007, 12:21 PM
That's what Meet Up groups are for.

I've told you of the very real dangers of this list and I am now very skeptical of your real purpose here since you refuse to see the dangers of it. You have only been posting here for 17 days and have no cred here as far as I am concerned. Since you refuse to see the dangers of a list like this and have been reduced to name calling now, you are not to be trusted.

WARNING TO MEMBERS.....DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THIS DATA MINING EXERCISE WHICH IS ASKING FOR YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS OR ANY SIMILAR EXERCISE SUCH AS THIS WHICH IS NOT HEADED BY A PERSON WHO HAS ESTABLISHED CRED ON THIS BOARD. THIS LIST WILL BE USED AS A CAGING LIST BY THE NEO-CONS TO PREVENT YOU FROM PARTICIPATING IN POLL WATCHING AND BECOMING A DELEGATE, ETC.

This post infuriates me to no end. I guess the canvassing that I've done is just a ploy to get your e-mail addresses. Ditto with allowing my meet-up group to use my buisness to hold meetings. And handing out new voter registration forms, and putting out Ron Paul slim jims next to the counter. I guess you caught me!

You told me no REAL dangers of anything. The idea that some group would datamine our comments on a WEBSITE is so absurd that I can't even explain why! Our names are already out there. There's the donor list, the roster from meet-up groups, EVEN FROM THIS BOARD THEY CAN FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE! RUN! RUN AND HIDE UNDER YOUR BED!

If this was anything but a project for Ron Paul, your idocy would make me say "Screw it" and walk away. But since I think that this campaign is the most important thing going on in this country, I'll just hit "ignore user" and keep working.

Mike Van de Water
Vancouver, WA
And I don't care WHO knows it!

tomveil
12-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Anyone know where we're at for hosting and site development?

We haven't seen a rough sketch yet.

Let us know so we can plan this out, get developer if needed, etc.

I've got a PM in to EvilEngineer, will let you know when he responds. It looks like the site is now up for sale from GoDaddy, or am I reading that wrong?

LaSeniorita has offered her help with the design and coding, I'm not sure if the two of them are in conversation yet.

Ibtz, Sey.Naci, and myself are the comments team so far, we could probably use a few more too.

Is there anything that I'm overlooking?

Also if you'd like to help, leave a message here or PM me!

Thanks to everybody for their help and their PM support last night :)

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Tom. Please check your pm's when you get a chance. Thanks.

Energy
12-22-2007, 06:08 PM
I've got a PM in to EvilEngineer, will let you know when he responds. It looks like the site is now up for sale from GoDaddy, or am I reading that wrong?

The domain is registered to forum member Chernitsky. The page you see at weareronpaul.com is called a parking page (a default page for newly registered domains), so it's not for sale by godaddy. It just means it was registered at godaddy.

I've got family things going on the next couple days, so I'm only able to pop in here now and then.

I've emailed the hosting provider that provided hosting for teaparty07.com.

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Here's another example why names should not be part of this database:

Jewish Task Force spokesman calls for the death of Ron Paul supporters

I didn't believe it until I saw it for myself. Wow.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...arch&plindex=1

Here's more of their rabid ramblings about Ron Paul.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...arch&plindex=2

tomveil
12-22-2007, 06:42 PM
The domain is registered to forum member Chernitsky. The page you see at weareronpaul.com is called a parking page (a default page for newly registered domains), so it's not for sale by godaddy. It just means it was registered at godaddy.

I've got family things going on the next couple days, so I'm only able to pop in here now and then.

I've emailed the hosting provider that provided hosting for teaparty07.com.

Ah, alright. I've got a PM in to Chernitsky. I got a message from laseniorita with a link that I'll PM you. Thanks for sending the mail to teaparty07, may as well throw them some more buisness since they helped us out on tea party day :D

Chernitsky
12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I will likely sell it and give the majority of proceeds to his campaign.

tomveil
12-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Please PM me with a # that you're looking for.

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 07:04 PM
This post infuriates me to no end. I guess the canvassing that I've done is just a ploy to get your e-mail addresses. Ditto with allowing my meet-up group to use my buisness to hold meetings. And handing out new voter registration forms, and putting out Ron Paul slim jims next to the counter. I guess you caught me!

You told me no REAL dangers of anything. The idea that some group would datamine our comments on a WEBSITE is so absurd that I can't even explain why! Our names are already out there. There's the donor list, the roster from meet-up groups, EVEN FROM THIS BOARD THEY CAN FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE! RUN! RUN AND HIDE UNDER YOUR BED!

If this was anything but a project for Ron Paul, your idocy would make me say "Screw it" and walk away. But since I think that this campaign is the most important thing going on in this country, I'll just hit "ignore user" and keep working.

Mike Van de Water
Vancouver, WA
And I don't care WHO knows it!

So whats the deal Tom? I send you a p.m. asking you what meet up group you belong to since I can't fnd your name on the Vancouver one and you ignore me.

I post a You Tube video showing calls for RP supporters deaths and tell you this is yet another example why names are a bad idea. I get no response.

If calls for RP supporters deaths and the NeoCons use of the list of our names to keep us from becoming delgates and poll workers and probably even being taken off of polling lists are not good enough reasons for you, then what is?

Are you really willing to have naive RP supporters put their names on a public domain available for people who are calling for our deaths? Are you really that stubborn?

I hope yo have changed your mind and are just not willing to tell me.

Energy
12-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Would you consider changing the nameservers to point at a hosting server? The domain is still 100% yours. You can take pride in seeing your domain used to take the revolution up another level :)

Chernitsky
12-22-2007, 07:07 PM
So whats the deal Tom? I send you a p.m. asking you what meet up group you belong to since I can't fnd your name on the Vancouver one and you ignore me.

I post a You Tube video showing calls for RP supporters deaths and tell you this is yet another example why names are a bad idea. I get no response.

If calls for RP supporters deaths and the NeoCons use of the list of our names to keep us from becoming delgates and poll workers and probably even being taken off of polling lists are not good enough reasons for you, then what is?

Are you really willing to have naive RP supporters put their names on a public domain available for people who are calling for our deaths? Are you really that stubborn?

I hope yo have changed your mind and are just not willing to tell me.

This is why I made my registration private, however this is the risk we take. If they want to make threats, they can go right ahead.

tomveil
12-22-2007, 07:11 PM
This is why I made my registration private, however this is the risk we take. If they want to make threats, they can go right ahead.

*nods*

I'm certainly not suggesting we post full names and addresses on this site, but it's ridiculous to think that "Mike from Vancouver" is going to suddenly trigger this huge conspiracy to keep me from being a delegate. Wouldn't they get that information from....you know....the paperwork on being a delegate?

Either way, the forum will sort this out, I'm way too on tilt to get involved again.

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm certainly not suggesting we post full names and addresses on this site, but it's ridiculous to think that "Mike from Vancouver" is going to suddenly trigger this huge conspiracy to keep me from being a delegate.

You are now agreeing that you will not have an option to post the RP supporter's full names on the website? After all, that is what we have been arguing about. Surely you don't think we have been discussing "Mike from Las Vegas" right?

I do not have a problem with "Dan from Los Angeles" type entries. However, there is still the question of email addresses. I would still like to be able to verify which Meet Up group you belong to since I cannot find you in the Vancouver one (or did you use a different name there?).

Please keep in mind I am just trying to protect the members of this board. They are a trusting bunch for the most part....I know that trust is taken advantage of as I have seen it a million times now by this Government and their agents. What sounds like a kumbaya type project can be a disaster. After all, the Patriot Act sounded like a very positive thing right? Instead it is used against the very people they claim it was going to protect.

So perhaps you an indulge me and let me verify your authenticity so we can make an informed judgement about who we release info to.

Chernitsky
12-22-2007, 08:21 PM
The domain is going on ebay because I don't have time to negotiate. I will donate a portion of the proceeds to Dr. Paul's campaign.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140192552920

tomveil
12-22-2007, 08:51 PM
The domain is going on ebay because I don't have time to negotiate. I will donate a portion of the proceeds to Dr. Paul's campaign.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140192552920

Well since it seems this dude is nuts, who can register WeAreRonPaul.us or .net?

PatriotOne
12-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Looks like someone bought ALL of the original options for domain names according to GoDaddy. I suppose they are all for sale for a mere $500.00 each.

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/registrar/search.asp?isc=gppg1755&app%5Fhdr=&ci=574

Poll Options

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61346&highlight=WeAreRonPaul

What should the domain name for this site be?

www.WeAreRonPaul.com
www.RonPaulSociety.org
www.RonPaulRepublicans.com
www.WeTheRevolution.com
www.ISupportRonPaul.org
www.RonPaulSupporters.com

This project needs to die for so many reasons!

tomveil
12-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Who was it that said that they had www.RonPaulSupporters.com, and would you be willing to make a subdomain of weare.ronpaulsupporters.com?

Rebel Resource
12-22-2007, 11:30 PM
On second thoughts perhaps the youtube entries won't catch on. And its not that important either.

The best thing is to concentrate on the single format that is

1. simple enough for everyone to do
2. allows for loads of creativity
3. very convenient to view en masse
4. and which provides good entertainment

= PHOTOS

If text entries are going to be allowed on its own, then the photos and text have to be part of the same thread/theme.

Rebel Resource
12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Who was it that said that they had www.RonPaulSupporters.com, and would you be willing to make a subdomain of weare.ronpaulsupporters.com?

Fear not - I've sent you a better idea via PM

EvilEngineer
12-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Working on a front page mock up of the site let me know what you think. I'm not a graphics artists so, we will need one of our artistically gifted members to help out with the artwork.

Or- It could switch between the splash image and 2 or 3 other title menu options like hand picked stories of soldiers, people that came from other parties, etc.

notes: Front page is a flash loader, it has a main image of ron paul that can cycle through the side images after about a 5 second delay of the main image. The side images are just random images from the database of those that have added their information and a caption will be displayed as a roll over.

The bottom menu will link to the following:

- View by states : Loads up a map of US, with a number in the state indicating how many members have been added from that state. Clicking on the state will bring up a browseable thumbnail view with a main picture and username and where they are from.

- View by affiliation: This loads up a list of people by what party they came from. Either Republican , Independant, Democrat, Green Party, Libertarian, etc.. (on a side note do the parties aside from dem and rep have a symbol?)

- Join: Allows members to join the site. Administration approval of profiles will be needed to screen out obscene and fake admissions. We will probably need 3-5 people with screening administration privileges.

- Data: Shows statistical data of the site and of members. Think RonPaulGraphs for an idea.

http://files.meetup.com/531855/MainPageMockUp.jpg

Much.. much more work to be done. Though I'm isolated in Kansas right now for Christmas with the in-laws working from a laptop so there is a limit as to how much I can do at the moment. If someone with some artistic talent or back end database management wants to get in touch to help out let me know. PM me and I'll get in touch with you via AIM.

francisco
12-23-2007, 04:48 PM
EE,

How about a way to show folks from the Free State Project? (They have a nice Porcupine logo)

Years ago when I was a card-carrying Libertarian, there was discussion of using the Penguin as a symbol. Can any current Libs tell us if that ever took hold?

debbie53
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I have been following this thread and would like to help in whatever way I can. I have been online long enough to remember when people did not register a domain name unless they intended to use it. Now it seems like most of the good names have been bought by speculators to be sold to the highest bidder. I do not think it is a good idea to discuss the choice of a domain name in a public forum, because it only takes one troll reading the forum to decide to buy up all of the names being considered and put them up for sale.

My suggestion would be for the people who have been discussing this, and feel they can trust each other, to decide on a name through private messages. If you find a name that is still available, I would be happy to register it for no charge, if you have no other takers for this. Domain registration is not expensive. A lot of people like to make you think it is, so they can make a profit.

EvilEngineer
12-23-2007, 08:59 PM
I have been following this thread and would like to help in whatever way I can. I have been online long enough to remember when people did not register a domain name unless they intended to use it. Now it seems like most of the good names have been bought by speculators to be sold to the highest bidder. I do not think it is a good idea to discuss the choice of a domain name in a public forum, because it only takes one troll reading the forum to decide to buy up all of the names being considered and put them up for sale.

My suggestion would be for the people who have been discussing this, and feel they can trust each other, to decide on a name through private messages. If you find a name that is still available, I would be happy to register it for no charge, if you have no other takers for this. Domain registration is not expensive. A lot of people like to make you think it is, so they can make a profit.

Exactly the reason I'm developing the site and picking a name later. The domain is not the most important thing, the content is.

francisco
12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Exactly the reason I'm developing the site and picking a name later. The domain is not the most important thing, the content is.

FYI, I sent some alternate suggestions to TomVeil via pm.

Energy
12-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Chernitsky, yould you consider changing the nameservers to point at a hosting server? The domain is still 100% yours. You can take pride in seeing your domain used to take the revolution up another level :)

I think it's unfortunate to see someone try to take advantage of this to make a few bucks. That's the only explanation I can think of considering the registration cost was less than 10 bucks and the asking price is $500. If most of the proceeds are going to the campaign, why not just lease it out to the grassroots for free?

In the end, I agree the domain name is not important. If we end up going with another domain and WeAreRonPaul.com falls by the wayside and nothing ever goes up on WeAreRonPaul.com, it'd be really sad to think what it could have been. Don't let it be said it could have turned out differently.

tomveil
12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Chernitsky, yould you consider changing the nameservers to point at a hosting server? The domain is still 100% yours. You can take pride in seeing your domain used to take the revolution up another level :)

I think it's unfortunate to see someone try to take advantage of this to make a few bucks. That's the only explanation I can think of considering the registration cost was less than 10 bucks and the asking price is $500. If most of the proceeds are going to the campaign, why not just lease it out to the grassroots for free?

In the end, I agree the domain name is not important. If we end up going with another domain and WeAreRonPaul.com falls by the wayside and nothing ever goes up on WeAreRonPaul.com, it'd be really sad to think what it could have been. Don't let it be said it could have turned out differently.

Yes, I'll take responsibility for that :( It didn't even cross my mind that people would swoop in on them and then try to price gouge it :( I mean, I'm all for people making a buck, but there's a reasonable line *laugh*

I've got some PMs with ideas, and the day after Xmas I'll send the first mail out to the volunteer list and see where we're at. I really like that EE framework, although with the artist's permission, I'd like to use that logo that she made for the shirt.

Now, though, I'm off for the holidays. Everybody out there stay safe and well, and we'll see you in a couple days, re-energized and ready to get it done :)

Merry Christmas everybody!

Energy
12-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Got answer from the hosting provider of teaparty07.com. They support Microsoft hosting (ASP) but not PHP.