PDA

View Full Version : K.I.S.S.: 90% conversions, easy!

pikerz
12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Heres the secret ladies and gents:

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

It goes like this:

[approach stranger]

"Hey have you heard of THIS guy?"

[hold up Liberty card]
[wait for reaction]

"He wants to repeal the income tax for us working people."

[wait for reaction]

"Amazing, huh? We just gotta vote for him in the primary."

[hand them the card]

"Spread the word!"

chowdy
12-21-2007, 01:12 AM
The problem i've run into is that when the first words out of my mouth are "get rid of income tax," they immediately dismiss him as "just another politician," or "crazy."

Paul4Prez
12-21-2007, 01:37 AM
The problem i've run into is that when the first words out of my mouth are "get rid of income tax," they immediately dismiss him as "just another politician," or "crazy."

You could point out that getting rid of the income tax would only drop federal revenues back to 1997 levels. Did we have too little government back then?

pikerz
12-21-2007, 08:13 AM
if they need further explaination always explain we have multiple sources of revenue, and that we only need to cut the budget to year 2000 levels.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
12-21-2007, 08:54 AM
if they need further explaination always explain we have multiple sources of revenue, and that we only need to cut the budget to year 2000 levels.

That gets rid of resistance like people wouldn't believe. As it should.

Even for people who like big social programs, you don't have to convince them to accept libertarianism. You only need to convince them that they'll have a bigger influence at a more local level.

fortilite
12-21-2007, 09:32 AM
So what you are saying is that you have done this with 10 people at least, and 90% of them became Ron Paul supporters? Or is your claim of 90% conversion just bull****?

pikerz
12-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I've done this with 20-35 people per day for a week.

It's a point of refinement that I've reached after hitting road blocks by trying to talk about complex issues without much success.

pikerz
12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
well its difficult to define somebody as a Paul supporter, per se unlesss they start demanding bumper stickers, signs, and crap like that.

but if i get an affirmative response like "he has my vote", i'm inclined to take them at their word.

pikerz
12-21-2007, 10:10 AM
another thing i would consider an affirmative response is if they react positively to what i am saying, then take the initiative to ASK if they can keep the Liberty card.

a surprising number of people do exactly that.

Georgia Agrarian
12-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I've found that in my area (rural south) the 2nd amendment issue is by far the best of all issues as an ice breaker. Plus, many never watch tv news of any kind, so they are not as influenced by neo con propaganda. Also, the two national radio blowhards are not as popular around here as they once were, though more popular than other places. I like to target the one in the pickem up with the gun racks in the back over the church goin' folks. And yes, in general, they are two seprate groups for the most part. Gun shows are, of course, very fertile ground, but the same can be said for auctions where they sell stuff like bulldozers and back hoes and the like. Many small business owners at places like this; just the type that are receptive to Dr. Paul's message. Also, a surprising number are quitely against the war. Folks like this can see through bull shit a mile thick.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

noztnac
12-22-2007, 05:38 PM
I thought you were going to say Gene Simmons and crew were endorsing Dr. Paul.

pikerz
12-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I've found that in my area (rural south) the 2nd amendment issue is by far the best of all issues as an ice breaker. Plus, many never watch tv news of any kind, so they are not as influenced by neo con propaganda. Also, the two national radio blowhards are not as popular around here as they once were, though more popular than other places. I like to target the one in the pickem up with the gun racks in the back over the church goin' folks. And yes, in general, they are two seprate groups for the most part. Gun shows are, of course, very fertile ground, but the same can be said for auctions where they sell stuff like bulldozers and back hoes and the like. Many small business owners at places like this; just the type that are receptive to Dr. Paul's message. Also, a surprising number are quitely against the war. Folks like this can see through bull shit a mile thick.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Yea im finding that plays real well around here in Arkansas. If I transition from there to property rights, and then top it off with taxes, I'll seal the deal so tight no amount of BS tv propaganda will ever break it.

I usually show up in my normal every day work clothes, and find that actually helps me establish instant rapport.

I've actually gone out canvassing and had people try to give me things (food, beer, a cold pop) as a way of saying thanks for bringing the message to them-- amazing, eh?

Hope
12-22-2007, 06:34 PM
If someone walked up to me like that and I didn't know who Ron Paul was, I'd think they were absolutely crazy or even possibly dangerous.

You don't enter someone's personal space like that without invitation or even an introduction and start that kind of dialogue. It's rude and it is absolutely NOT effective. Being polite and having deference for other people is the way to go. I think maybe too many people here assume that everyone thinks like them -- that they would automatically welcome an exchange like this. For many people, politics and religion are touchy issues that have to approached with caution (or not at all if they don't spark interest). For women, strange men on the street walking up to them trying to prosyltize automatically puts them on the defensive and rightly so.

Let's keep it simple and yet be smart about how we approach others at the same time.

TwiLeXia
12-22-2007, 10:25 PM
This is a good idea, but one major roadblock is that they are immediately suspicious and wonder how Ron Paul can kill the income tax without cutting good govt programs that they like (NIH, FAA, etc)

I gave my mom this sheet which several forum posters contributed to:

--

The government gets about 40% of its money, or 800$ billion each year, from the income tax. Ron Paul proposes eliminating all 700 foreign military bases, which costs 1,000 billion each year. Even if we cut the income tax right now, we will still earn about the same amount of money as we did in year 2000, because the main reason the government has expanded so much over the past few years is because of George Bush’s ineffective programs and policies (Department of Homeland Security, No Child Left Behind, Patriot Act, Department of Education, Department of Commerce)

Here is where the other 60% of the government money comes from:
1. Sales tax
2. DMV fees
3. Tobacco Tax
4. Corporation Tax
5. Liquor Tax
6. Insurance Tax
7. Highway Users Tax
8. Custom Duties
9. Gas Tax
10. Death tax
11. Fringe Benefits Tax
12. Petroleum Resource Rent Tax
13. PRINTING MONEY!!! (Inflation tax)
14. Lottery tickets
15. Debt Consolidation Loans (The government taxes the poor too...)
16. Hundreds of "pollution" dis-incentives
17. Capital Gains Tax
18. Foreign Loans (I think it's something like 1/10000 of what's loaned to us by Foreigners)
19. Interest on Fed Funds
20. Selling/renting/selling-construction-rights of Government owned land.

Ron Paul is a 72-year-old physician (OBGYN doctor) who has delivered 4,000+ babies and used to work in the Air Force for 5 years.

All of the Democrats or other Republicans will not cut spending and taxes like Ron Paul will – even most Democrats admit that they want to keep troops in Iraq at least until 2012 and none of them proposing bringing all of our bases back home and cutting this huge portion of our federal budget.

pikerz
12-22-2007, 10:55 PM
If someone walked up to me like that and I didn't know who Ron Paul was, I'd think they were absolutely crazy or even possibly dangerous.

You don't enter someone's personal space like that without invitation or even an introduction and start that kind of dialogue. It's rude and it is absolutely NOT effective. Being polite and having deference for other people is the way to go. I think maybe too many people here assume that everyone thinks like them -- that they would automatically welcome an exchange like this. For many people, politics and religion are touchy issues that have to approached with caution (or not at all if they don't spark interest). For women, strange men on the street walking up to them trying to prosyltize automatically puts them on the defensive and rightly so.

Let's keep it simple and yet be smart about how we approach others at the same time.

To each their own.

I've never had the problem you're talking about. Not once. Maybe its something to do with being down south? I know people can be more tribal and less apt to talk to strangers in other parts of the country. Simply not the case here.