PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor moving yard sign

kaberUSA
12-20-2007, 10:21 PM
So I posted one Ron Paul yard signs in my front yard. Some neighbor has moved it twice to the back

This is completely ridiculous. I'm setting up a webcam in front of the my window to see who's doing this, but are there any legal issues I can bring up once I get the jack ass on camera?

I'm thinking about filling a formal complaint of harassment against whoever it is.

I reside in Houston Tx.

Richie
12-20-2007, 10:22 PM
So I posted one Ron Paul yard signs in my front yard. Some neighbor has moved it twice to the back

This is completely ridiculous. I'm setting up a webcam in front of the my window to see who's doing this, but are there any legal issues I can bring up once I get the jack ass on camera?

I'm thinking about filling a formal complaint of harassment against whoever it is.

I reside in Houston Tx.

Harassment is a bit harsh (unless he's doing it to taunt you). Trespassing, maybe? Either way, this would drive me crazy.

ctb619
Once you find out who it is, confront the person and threaten legal action if it happens again.

xexkxex
Call the cops on their ass when you see them doing it...that is your property....if you get it on camera...it will be very goood.

RonPaulFever
12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Get him on camera and show the police. If he isn't prosecuted, he'll at least be forced to stop.

xexkxex
12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Once you find out who it is, confront the person and threaten legal action if it happens again.

No...do not confront them...it could lead to worse things....just call the police when you have them on tape and it will be taken care of.

We do not want any confrontation....use the law...it will be on your side and will work.

fxmercenary
walk out front with a shot gun and go "BANG! YOUR DEAD!"

cien750hp
use the tactics to prevent this others have suggested. criso and such

allyinoh
12-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Trespassing is the first thing that comes to my mind. And theft. He came onto your property, stole your property, then replaced it somewhere else.

xao
12-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Do you fear for your safety or that of your family and is this person going into your property?? I wasn't sure what you mean exactly.

DisabledVet
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Two violations.... 1) Trespassing and 2) Vandalisim

1) Trespassing
a) Go IMMEDIATELY to the store and buy and post a "no trespassing" sign. Having posted this you have now given legal notice to not trespass. Now when you video your neighbor trespassing the law moves to the next level and there is potential for immediate arrest.

2) Vandalism.
a) Quite simply vandalism is the unauthorized alteration of anothers property interfering with its original design or intent. Moving the sign to the rear of your yard diminishes and alters its original intent and is considered vandalism.

3) The video idea is perfect. Do it and then contact the authorities.

kaberUSA
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Get him on camera and show the police. If he isn't prosecuted, he'll at least be forced to stop.

K. Thats' what I will do. I' ordered a webcam from Ebay just now. Will have it run 24x7 until the culprit does it again. Once he does, I will contact the local police and request for the police officer to speak with this individual.

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Harassment is a bit harsh (unless he's doing it to taunt you). Trespassing, maybe? Either way, this would drive me crazy.

I'd say set up the camera, figure out who it is, confront him or her, and if it continues, then--yes--go the trespassing route.

pdavis
Check your state and local laws before recording your neighbor. In some states it is illegal to record someone without notifying or consent of the person being recorded.

rory096
First make sure having a yard sign isn't against any local ordinances, and then call the cops after you get it on camera.

Spider-Man
Shoot web at them.

kaberUSA
12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Two violations.... 1) Trespassing and 2) Vandalisim

1) Trespassing
a) Go IMMEDIATELY to the store and buy and post a "no trespassing" sign. Having posted this you have now given legal notice to not trespass. Now when you video your neighbor trespassing the lae moves to the next level and there is potential for immediate arrest.

2) Vandalism.
a) Quite simply vandalism is the unauthorized alteration of another property interfering with its original design or intent. Moving the sign to the rear of your yard diminishes and alters its original intent and is considered vandalism.

3) The video idea is perfect. Do it and then contact the authorities.

Will do. It's sad cause after the first time I did put a NO TRESPASSING sticker on the sign but they still did it. They actually attempted to remove the sticker on the sign

Thanks.

Air420
set up a bear trap.

beobeli
Once you figure out who is doing it, don't be confrontational. (They are "nice" since they could just take away your sign.) Ask them why they are doing it. Ask them if they have a suggestion for a better candidate.

I wouldn't be surprised that this neighbor feels that the yard sign spoils the neighborhood looks. I remember that some neighbors took my garbage can behind a bush in my yard, when I didn't remove it early enough after the garbage was picked up.

Post a video/picture if you "catch" the person with your camera.

Luft97
I live near Houston.. Give me a call we can take care of that problem =p j/k Hmm.. ya I'd call the cops or boobytrap the sign I think :rolleyes:

kaberUSA
No hidden camera laws in Texas

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/quick.html

cien750hp
12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
another suggestion is those motion sensor floodlights. when they try walking into your yard they will go on, that will deter them. it will also let you know when someones in your yard, and it will make it easier for the cameras to get a good shot of their face.

smartguy911
12-20-2007, 10:29 PM
if you do catch him, upload it to youtube so we can see how it's done. :-).

John P Slevin
12-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry you are experiencing this problem. Just call the cops in. Don't confront. Any idiot who would do this could be dangerous to you, to yours and to others.

You don't need any cameras (nice touch, but hardly necessary; if you make the complaint, the cops likely will take your side, and IMMEDIATELY. Understand, good cops know such things, they LIKE to keep the peace. This seems like a case of someone breaking the peace. You are in the right, and someone is in the wrong. Cops are good at finding the person in the wrong, especially when that person probably is right there near you.

xao
12-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Just tell them that you found out who did and you have video proof and that if it happens again, you will make a report. But only if it happens again. Be nice.

EDIT, nevermind. I agree with the poster above. If you don't know the person then just tell the police but if it's a nice neighbor, just let them know.

Luft97
12-20-2007, 10:31 PM
If they are doing it in the middle of the night try spraying it down with mace / pepper spray before you go to bed then when you get up in the morning wash it off so no one accidentaly gets harmed by it.. :cool:

kaberUSA
12-20-2007, 10:32 PM
another suggestion is those motion sensor floodlights. when they try walking into your yard they will go on, that will deter them. it will also let you know when someones in your yard, and it will make it easier for the cameras to get a good shot of their face.

Good Idea, I will goto Home depot and do this. Hopefully it will be funny and I will post it to youtube

xao
12-20-2007, 10:32 PM
If they are doing it in the middle of the night try spraying it down with mace / pepper spray before you go to bed then when you get up in the morning wash it off so no one accidentaly gets harmed by it.. :cool:

How long does peper spray last on an object?

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-20-2007, 10:33 PM
No hidden camera laws in Texas

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/quick.html

I don't understand how there could be any hidden camera laws ANYWHERE in the US that would prohibit a person from seeing what goes on on a certain patch of grass on his own property.

tsetsefly
walk out front with a shot gun and go "BANG! YOUR DEAD!"

agree...

ladyliberty
sink your yard sign in cement, then cover it with grass, etc. - make it wieght about 100 lbs!

all you have to do is buy a bag of cement, dig a hole fill with cement, pour in some water and then set your yard sign down in it. :D

that would be worth watching on video! :D

slantedview
i'd leave a note on the sign letting the person know if they're caught on your property touching your property (sign) they're subject to target practice with your .22

Mark Rushmore
12-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Punji pit FTW.

<kidding>

xao
Good Idea, I will goto Home depot and do this. Hopefully it will be funny and I will post it to youtube

Look forward to seeing it! I think you can even get some cheap security cameras that will record once someone triggers the light. You need a vcr and some blank vhs tapes as well, I think.

kaberUSA
Sorry you are experiencing this problem. Just call the cops in. Don't confront. Any idiot who would do this could be dangerous to you, to yours and to others.

You don't need any cameras (nice touch, but hardly necessary; if you make the complaint, the cops likely will take your side, and IMMEDIATELY. Understand, good cops know such things, they LIKE to keep the peace. This seems like a case of someone breaking the peace. You are in the right, and someone is in the wrong. Cops are good at finding the person in the wrong, especially when that person probably is right there near you.

I wish that were possible but I think the best bet right now is video cameras. And I've already bought a cam off ebay :D

slantedview
12-20-2007, 10:35 PM
I wish that were possible but I think the best bet right now is video cameras. And I've already bought a cam off ebay :D

suweet. that stuff is fun anyways :) do you have the software yet?

Revolutn
Technically it's trespassing for one.

And for two it could be considered property vandalism since he's reconfiguring your yardscape without your consent.

Beyond those two rather 'minor' ( at least in statutory law ) charges I'm not sure what else you could get him on... I'm no lawyer, I just play one in court ;)

noztnac
Put land mines under the ground in a circle around the sign.

kaberUSA
12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
sink your yard sign in cement, then cover it with grass, etc. - make it wieght about 100 lbs!

all you have to do is buy a bag of cement, dig a hole fill with cement, pour in some water and then set your yard sign down in it. :D

that would be worth watching on video! :D

Lol. That's a good idea, I think I will do that, I already have some quickrete in the garage :D

But the jackass might bend the wires

LibertyForAll
At the dollar store they have these tiny watch-battery operated things that you put on your door frame. A small burglar alarm. I think it's magnetically principled. Shouldn't take about 5 minutes to set this up so that when they pull the sign out of the ground it sets off an alarm. Pretty dang loud, too!

Luft97
How long does peper spray last on an object?

Dunno for sure but if you coated it real well in the evening depending on the weather I don't think it would "wash off" without washing the sign off..

xao
12-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Dunno for sure but if you coated it real well in the evening depending on the weather I don't think it would "wash off" without washing the sign off..

lol would love to see video of him grabbing the sign.

nist7
12-20-2007, 10:38 PM
That's fcuking illegal. Call the cops and complain of trespassing and vandalism and possible robbery. This should get the cops on notice to quickly take notice.

kaberUSA
suweet. that stuff is fun anyways :) do you have the software yet?

Nope, just put the order for the device on EBAY. Hopefully find some freeware to run the webcam to record the motion. I should then burn a CDR and pass it out to all the neighbors. lol

nbhadja

I reside in Houston Tx.

I suggest video taping it.

Or at least posting a sign that says "I have caught you once before on tape moving the sign, if you do it again I will send this tape to the police and press trespassing charges against you"

ChooseLiberty
12-20-2007, 10:40 PM
That's crazy.

IIRC Texas has some harsh self defense laws for people caught messing with things on your property after dark.

garrettwombat
12-20-2007, 10:40 PM
i think its a felony to mess with any political campaign sign

Ready2Revolt
12-20-2007, 10:41 PM
MAybe a smile your on camera sticker.

nist7
That's crazy.

IIRC Texas has some harsh self defense laws for people caught messing with things on your property after dark.

:D:D:D

A Remington 870 shotgun would work well. The universal sound of the shotgun being cocked is enough to scare most people away ;)

Luft97
But the jackass might bend the wires

It's a metal sign?

firebirdnation
12-20-2007, 10:42 PM
How about small claims court for trespass and being a nuisance? I would send him a letter via registered mail asking him to stay off your property or you will take him to small claims court for interfering with your use and enjoyment of your home. Of course this depends on your local laws, so I would also talk with a lawyer. Many localities have free legal advice which can help you figure out your local laws. Good luck, I hope you get this taken care of.

kaberUSA
12-20-2007, 10:43 PM
It's a metal sign?

Just the little wires that go into the ground, the sign itself is pretty flimsy material.

lbadragan
12-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Get a trained pitbull. Hold the leish very tight. Observe tresspasser. Release the leish. Enjoy. :)

Ready2Revolt
12-20-2007, 10:45 PM
That's crazy.

Google Joe Horn.

Luft97
12-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Ahh ok I was thinking it was something along the lines of one of those solid metal realator signs with an insert =p Was thinking along the lines of electrical doggy fence :)

ChooseLiberty
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Texas self defense laws are one reason you never hear about Texas having all the problems that other states do. :)

Especially after dark in neighborhoods with lots of Second Amendment type bumper stickers.

:D:D:D

A Remington 870 shotgun would work well. The universal sound of the shotgun being cocked is enough to scare most people away ;)

cien750hp
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
come on people. the answer to this dilemma obvious. first you need to dig a moat around the sign, then put water filled with sharks with laser beams on their heads, and then cover it with some sticks and grass, and finally put the ron paul sign in the middle...

ionlyknowy
12-20-2007, 10:52 PM
You can use the necessary force to stop the person from messing with your property.

Here is the Texas law. Get your shotgun ready... you have the legal right to protect your sign in your yard. They are trespassing, and unlawfully altering your property.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.002.00.000009.00.htm

§ 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person
in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is
justified in using force against another when and to the degree the
actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful
interference with the property.
(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible,
movable property by another is justified in using force against the
other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force
is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the
property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit
after the dispossession and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no
claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using
force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

NerveShocker
12-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Well.. you can do those things especially in Texas.. But calling the cops and having him on video I think would have the most results. He might even get locked up for a bit..

Luft97
12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
come on people. the answer to this dilemma obvious. first you need to dig a moat around the sign, then put water filled with sharks with laser beams on their heads, and then cover it with some sticks and grass, and finally put the ron paul sign in the middle...

LOL... Why didn't I think of that :confused:

ChooseLiberty
12-20-2007, 10:54 PM
The law is for protecting your own property.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this one. Were the "burglars" illegal by any chance?

Google Joe Horn.

Edit - "Both were unemployed illegal immigrants from Colombia, and Torres had previously been deported once after going to prison for selling cocaine."

Whadda ya know.

Edit 2 - "But after the shooting, he called back for assistance and told the dispatcher: "I had no choice. They came right in my yard. I didn't know what the (expletive) they were going to do.""

They were coming into the guys yard.

Sorry for deviating off topic a bit.

Mark Rushmore
12-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Once you get your neighbor on camera and identify them, you could figure out when they tend to come and go. Then you could stand outside around that time with a shovel and some metal spikes lying around - whistling to yourself and just perpetually turning over one piece of soil. Wait for him to come over and ask you what you're doing - then respond with a crazy laugh, "Oh, nothing much, just working on a little project."

That might work.

nist7
12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Buy this sign and put it next to the Ron Paul sign :D:D:D

http://www.personalizedsignshop.com/images/products/770-07012p1.jpg
http://www.personalizedsignshop.com/trespassers-shot-metal-sign-p-1237.html

Ready2Revolt
12-20-2007, 11:05 PM

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this one. Were the "burglars" illegal by any chance?

Yeah, they were illegal aleins with prior convictions and deportations. (Their girlfiends even asked for the stolen money)

I would STRONGLY disagree with the use of violence to protect your property in this situation though. This is coming from another Houstonian. The only reason is that if you do, they will only cast you as a "Ron Paul supporter" and not a Texan protecting his own property.

DealzOnWheelz
12-20-2007, 11:06 PM
I believe it is a felony to steal/alter political signs and that may be able to be pushed here

ChooseLiberty
12-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah - I was joking about using the "castle law" for the sign problem.

But that was interesting stuff about Horn. Illegal drug dealing criminals, self defense - the whole nine yards.

Yeah, they were illegal aleins with prior convictions and deportations. (Their girlfiends even asked for the stolen money)

I would STRONGLY disagree with the use of violence to protect your property in this situation though. This is coming from another Houstonian. The only reason is that if you do, they will only cast you as a "Ron Paul supporter" and not a Texan protecting his own property.

quantized
12-20-2007, 11:11 PM
No...do not confront them...it could lead to worse things....just call the police when you have them on tape and it will be taken care of.

We do not want any confrontation....use the law...it will be on your side and will work.

+1000

austin356
12-20-2007, 11:12 PM
a 12 gauge with blanks will do the job.

ionlyknowy
12-20-2007, 11:16 PM
a 12 gauge with blanks will do the job.

Nice..:p

xexkxex
12-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Shoot web at them.

LMAO!!! :p:D

...now THAT is a great first post! ... Glad to have you on board Spider-Man!!! :D

EvilEngineer
12-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Though I'd be more inclined for 2nd amendment usage. The proper course of action is to record it, and call the police. On the plus side if you catch them and this is a felony, they won't be eligible to vote. Though they will harbor a hatred for you and Dr. Paul. For which I can safely say that if they are already that much of a problem, it will get worse.

Might want to go with the subtle hint of the small addition of crisco, cement, barbed wire, and a sign saying "bang you're dead" on it. But if you are going all out I might just suggest upgrading to a 4x8 sign anyway.

Grandson of Liberty
12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd get it on tape, then put another sign out once you know who it is. Leave a personal message on it for them the next time they come around: "Hi ______, touch my sign again, and the police will receive a video of you stealing my other ones. Have a nice day! p.s. if you want one of these, just ask!"

Danny Molina
12-20-2007, 11:26 PM

Edit - "Both were unemployed illegal immigrants from Colombia, and Torres had previously been deported once after going to prison for selling cocaine."

Whadda ya know.

Edit 2 - "But after the shooting, he called back for assistance and told the dispatcher: "I had no choice. They came right in my yard. I didn't know what the (expletive) they were going to do.""

They were coming into the guys yard.

Sorry for deviating off topic a bit.

Not according to the officer who saw it happen.

kaberUSA
12-20-2007, 11:29 PM
Yea, use the law. That's what we all got to do. We Ron Paul elected by getting all of us to vote, become delegates and make sure there is no funny business going on with counting the ballots.

Once Dr. Paul is elected I think all of congress will be pretty afraid. We are all gonna watch everyone that is up for election like hawks, especially the local meetup groups.

Ronin
12-20-2007, 11:36 PM
It could be the HOA. They can be real asses sometimes. Normally they would give you a warning though. Do you have a corner lot? Depending on the slope of the intersection, it could be that the sign is blocking people's sight turning left.

Arklatex
12-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Just put up a "Protected by Smith & Wesson" yard sign next to it.

Derek Johnson
12-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Geek him: set your sprinkler to a motion detector and YouTube it. He will never live down the humiliation....

DealzOnWheelz
12-20-2007, 11:47 PM
create a ring of DOGSHIT that must be stepped in to get to the sign

LOL

j/k

Rob
12-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Check your state and local laws before recording your neighbor. In some states it is illegal to record someone without notifying or consent of the person being recorded.

He's not recording his neighbor though, he's just recording his front lawn. If his neighbor happens to show up unexpectedly trespassing on his lawn, then that's no fault of his.

user
12-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Please just use the law, we don't need any unnecessary violence attached to this movement.

Dave Pedersen
12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
You should take him to court for unlawful trespass and after he perjures himself then reveal you have the videotape. Not before.

hawkeyenick
12-21-2007, 12:48 AM
a camera on private property?! of course that's legal!

Copperhed51
12-21-2007, 01:34 AM
I like the idea of electrifying the sign so it gives the neighbor a nice jolt when they try to grab it. Wouldn't be too hard to do and you could easily run the wires underground a couple inches to hide them.

jorlowitz
12-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Watergun. Silly-string. Shaving cream.

...always worked at camp

Dave Pedersen
12-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Watergun. Silly-string. Shaving cream.

...always worked at camp

Taser him, bro ! taser him ! Taser 'em all and let the dogcatcher sort 'em out !!