PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining momentum...

foofighter20x
07-08-2007, 07:27 PM
In the ABC interview, Dr Paul mentioned how good it would be if we quadrupled our fundraising for Q3 as we did for when comparing Q2 to Q1.

In another thread here, I mentioned the option we all have of borrowing the money in order to donate to RP now...

BLS said he'd do it if 10,000 other people in total would sign on. That's $23M.

Dr Paul's goal, as he alluded, would only be $9.6M for Q3.

So, here's my idea for we die hard supporters: If we can get 10,000 of us just to borrow $1200 and give it all to Dr Paul, that's $12M.

Think about that folks. That's only $100 a month. And if you get a good interest rate (like 6% per year), that's only $72 in interest.

My point here is that Dr Paul needs the money now. It's not going to do him any good later if he gets knocked out by the media while they play the numbers game.

Also, that'd be $12M + whatever else we can raise through new supporters.

Opinions?

gregp701
07-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't believe Dr. Paul would approve of borrowing the money.

Spread the word and encourage those you know to donate. Once people get the message, it's hard to not donate what you can.

DjLoTi
07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Taking personal loans is a great way to build your credit. Unfortunately I can't participate because I currently have a personal loan taken out already :) It's not a bad suggestion. Much better then using any credit cards.

mport1
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
This is a GREAT idea! We need to seriously boost our numbers.

foofighter20x
07-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Spread the word and encourage those you know to donate. Once people get the message, it's hard to not donate what you can.

Dr Paul wouldn't borrow the money himself, yeah. And he'd think it wasn't a good idea.

But he wouldn't stop it us from doing it.

He'd just make sure we were informed completely about the choice before making it. ;)

CJLauderdale4
07-08-2007, 07:37 PM
LOL!!

Wouldn't it be great if Ron Paul won off of donors borrowing money from fractional banking institutions that would be directly affected if Ron Paul were elected?!?!?!

I on the fence on this one.

BLS
07-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm on board. But we shouldn't push the word "borrow".
Some may not need to borrow (I would however) the money, while some may.

In either case, $1200 x 10,000 would definately put him in a MAJOR position.
MSM would NOT be able to ignore him if he's running ads during the National News on the major corporate stations.

THIS..I believe is necessary in order to get his name out to everyone.

gregp701
07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Dr Paul wouldn't borrow the money himself, yeah. And he'd think it wasn't a good idea.

But he wouldn't stop it us from doing it.

He'd just make sure we were informed completely about the choice before making it. ;)Just be careful and make sure you can do it comfortably. If you can do it without wrecking yourself, go for it! :)

foofighter20x
07-08-2007, 07:48 PM
LOL!!

Wouldn't it be great if Ron Paul won off of donors borrowing money from fractional banking institutions that would be directly affected if Ron Paul were elected?!?!?!

I on the fence on this one.

It would be a great irony in the annals of American History!! :D

To anyone unsure: you know in your heart and mind that Dr Paul will win if he just had the number to satisfy the stupid MSM.

And you know Dr Paul isn't going to waste your cash.

It's not like I'm asking anyone to do this for any other candidate. In fact, I wouldn't ever ask for any other candidate. All I'm doing is offering an option. That's all. If you are uncomfortable doing it then don't. If you are only unsure, think about how much you need Dr Paul and how much the campaign needs some serious numbers. Is it worth it to you? :)

Man from La Mancha
07-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Wouldn't $100 x 1 million work?

foofighter20x
07-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Just be careful and make sure you can do it comfortably. If you can do it without wrecking yourself, go for it! :)

I've already donated the full $2300. But I took that out of my law school savings.

I don't want others to feel that they can't donate just because they feel they are poor, you know?

I mean, this IS NOT the prefered method. Let me say that for sure. But it's still an option. I'd rather people but back on their personal indulgences and donate the money saved from that (like no Starbucks, or quiting smoking, etc).

But if that's not an option, maybe borrowing is. It's less savory, but still an option.

DjLoTi
07-08-2007, 07:53 PM
But if that's not an option, maybe borrowing is. It's less savory, but still an option.

It builds good credit, that's for sure.

foofighter20x
07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Wouldn't $100 x 1 million work?

Yup! But $200 x 1 million would be way better!

Right now though, I don't think we'll be a million strong by end of Q3.

gregp701
07-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I've already donated the full $2300. But I took that out of my law school savings.

I don't want others to feel that they can't donate just because they feel they are poor, you know?

I mean, this IS NOT the prefered method. Let me say that for sure. But it's still an option. I'd rather people but back on their personal indulgences and donate the money saved from that (like no Starbucks, or quiting smoking, etc).

I'm along way from the full $2300 so I guess I have no right to tell you anything.

I will max out though, it will take me longer though, and I won't borrow a cent doing it.

Maybe I haven't thought this through enough. If it works, it was a great idea.

DjLoTi
07-08-2007, 08:00 PM
May be good for young people. Teach them about fiscal responsibility. It's not a bad proposition, but I can't get involved. I've taken out 5-6 loans and I'm financially stable. I have one out right now and can't afford another, but I'd be able to donate 100

fluoridatedbrainsoup
07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Well seeing as we are fighting globalists here and they are for one world under dictatorship perhaps we could start an Earth for Ron Paul campaign. I already see Ron Paul meetups as far flung as Australia..
And every country would benefit from not having another American War Chief.
While it is not explicitly legal for citizens of other countries to donate to a campaign here in America.. I can see how a Charity drive could be set up, and the money delivered to supporters who have not maxed out as of yet, or are for Ron Paul but poor as shit on shit.
What yall think.

DjLoTi
07-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Well seeing as we are fighting globalists here and they are for one world under dictatorship perhaps we could start an Earth for Ron Paul campaign. I already see Ron Paul meetups as far flung as Australia..
And every country would benefit from not having another American War Chief.
While it is not explicitly legal for citizens of other countries to donate to a campaign here in America.. I can see how a Charity drive could be set up, and the money delivered to supporters who have not maxed out as of yet, or are for Ron Paul but poor as shit on shit.
What yall think.

I think we should be conservative initially, and wait for big projects that people can donate to AND be involved in. It's unfair to blindly ask for donations, that's what the IRS does.

In weeks I will present a project I think many will be interested in, especially worldwide. I hope interest is there. :) ...

Hamburglar
It's a good idea in theory. A couple grand in loans for the constitution is a bargain, but I think we're going to need a lot more than the honor system for this to work properly, we might need a contract of some sort.

foofighter20x
I think the charity idea is borderline illegal.

Personally borrowing isn't illegal.

wbbgjr
07-08-2007, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't advise any of you guys to borrow money to donate to Ron Paul's campaign. Why don't we each cut back a little on spending and contribute that to Ron Paul?

I think the irony here is that we all want our Federal Government to cut back on spending and to stop borrowing money!

However, I support the idea that we should not hold back now and try to donate as much as we can. I know it's natural to hold back and see how the campaign goes, but it's really important for a lesser known candidate to get all the money now rather than later.

Bradley in DC
07-08-2007, 08:39 PM

AGREED.

foofighter20x
07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
I think Dr Paul wouldn't approve of GOV'T borrowing money. He'd leave people to their own judgment about their own financial affairs.

Like I said in a post above: Dr Paul would tell you that borrowing money personally in order to donate to the campaign isn't the best way to get the money, but he wouldn't stop you from doing it.

My thoughts: he wouldn't agree that you should do it, but wouldn't disagree with you doing it either. He'd just ask you if you were sure that's what you wanted to do. :p

Jared
07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm cutting back and trying to put all I can into the campaign. The cost of not getting Ron Paul nominated will be far worse than the cost of cutting your fat and helping the Ron Paul Revolution.

DeadheadForPaul
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
While I encourage donations, I hope that no one puts himself or herself in a bad financial situation just to support the campaign. Remember this: you can help out Paul a lot more by spreading the message on the street and getting a bigger support base for Paul. Money helps but the polls are what we really need. Now that Paul is on the upswing and arguably #3, he will be receiving money from some high profile a.k.a. rich supporters too now, so don't feel like you need to stretch yourself thin

Bradley in DC
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I think Dr Paul wouldn't approve of GOV'T borrowing money. He'd leave people to their own judgment about their own financial affairs.

Dr. Paul is seriously concerned with American debt levels, private and public.

smtwngrl
07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Yup! But $200 x 1 million would be way better!

Right now though, I don't think we'll be a million strong by end of Q3.

We are already more than a million strong. :) Let's say half of the U.S. population is voting age. Now, figure out what even 1% of the population is.

smtwngrl
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Personally, I think donating is a great idea. But I'm certain Ron Paul would *not* want us borrowing to send money to his campaign. And I don't think it's a good idea, either.

Bluedevil
07-08-2007, 09:27 PM
great idea, I saw earlier that someone made a website where everyone pledged a certain amount once x number of people agreed to donate that amount. If you or someone else made a website, I would sign up, you might be able to get more people with $500 though.

PatriotOne
07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
10 mil really isn't an unobtainable goal. RP has almost 23,000 supporter's just on Meet-up.com. 10 mil divided just by that number is only $434.00 a piece.

Right now, his support groups are growing at a rate of 2400 new members a week so if that growth is sustained, he should have about 28,800 more member by the end of the qtr. Round that off to 50,000 total hard core supporter's and that's only $200.00 from each for the whole quarter just from his meet up members. Not that I expect donations coming in from just his meet up com members but it's easy to see how this can certainly be done :D

foofighter20x
07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Dr. Paul is seriously concerned with American debt levels, private and public.

Concern is concern. It's not force. While he'd say he doesn't think it's a good idea, he wouldn't stop someone from taking out a loan.

Seriously, folks... I'm not encouraging this either. I'm just listing it as an option.

Just like war should always be the last resort, so in this case should borrowing be.

Never let it be said you sat idly by and did nothing.

Avalon
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I really liked the idea of selling plasma and donating the proceeds. It looks like $50/week is the going rate (2 visits/wk). I plan to inform the blood bank workers while I'm there :). I also plan to pitch this idea to my meetup group; I think if we get enough of us going it will really get people talking and make excellent news. I'll direct you guys to the article when it makes the local paper!

BLS
07-08-2007, 10:04 PM
We are already more than a million strong. :) Let's say half of the U.S. population is voting age. Now, figure out what even 1% of the population is.

Not to argue...but where do you get your stats? I would really like to see that.

smtwngrl
07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Not to argue...but where do you get your stats? I would really like to see that.

Well, I didn't really get my stats anywhere, I was just doing some really rough estimation. But since you asked, I decided to check it out.

I also realized there were some things I didn't take into account.

1. When I checked, I found that only 24.8% of the population are under 18--thus 75.2% are over 18. (2005)
2. I wasn't taking into account that not all of the U.S. population are not citizens.
3. I wasn't thinking of all of the persons who cannot vote because of a felony conviction.

Still, here are the voting figures from 2000.

There were 209 million U.S. population over 18.
There were 168 million citizens.
There were 130 million registered voters.
(And incidentally, 111 million voted.)

(The preceding figures were from graphs on page 2 at www.census.gov/prod/2002pubs/p20-542.pdf )

Now, Quick Facts from the U.S. Census Bureau:

Population 2006 estimate--299,398,484
2005% under 18--24.8%
So estimate population over 18 (75.2%)--225,147,660

(from http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html)

So presumably the number of registered voters, or at least potential registered voters, should be at least the # of registered voters in 2000 (which was 130 mllion).

1% of 130 million is 1.3 million.
2% of 130 million is 2.6 million.

1% or 2% is of those currently registered as Republicans, or at least that is how it is in many polls. That doesn't include those Ron Paul supporters currently registered as Democrats, Libertarians, Independents, etc. .

I'm not trying to say how many RP supporters there actually are. But I don't see how they could be less than 1 million strong.

Of course, that's just those who like him and vote for him in polls. Presumably, not all of those are active supporters.

beermotor
07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
If you can borrow $1000 at 6% interest, that's pretty awesome. I've never seen such a low rate on a "personal loan" before.

However, credit cards can sometimes be that low. For example, charge a bunch on one card, and then balance transfer to a 0% for 12 months card that you open up. Depending on the fees charged to do the transaction, this can be quite nice.