PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul "Cab" Signs for Cartops

SeekLiberty
07-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Can you imagine all Ron Paul supporters driving their vehicles with Ron Paul cabtop signs?

Imagine the impact that would have!

The graphics are done and apparently they're in production now. :D

Take a look a look here:

http://www.u8x.com/

I'm getting one for my TransAm 2002 Collector Edition. Maybe I'll even figure out how to attach one to my electric bike which gets me lots of attention too. :)

- SL

Lord Xar
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
I think that is a great idea... Even if someone buys one and then just drives for an hour on the weebends for extra effect --- I think is great!

I would perhaps post this is the "main section" of the site, and/or hit up some of his meetup groups..

empirenine
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm sure I'll be able to find this info if I keep digging, but so far no luck.

How fast can you drive with one of these on your roof? I'd be scared to drive 80mph on the freeway with it up there, but its a great way to get exposure.

angrydragon
07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Nice I haven't thought about it, though I see those pizza cars all the time.

ronpaulitician
07-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Removed by user.

monotony
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
What about large car magnets also? I think they would be much more affordable than this would be, for those of us who don't have a ton of extra money...

ronpaulitician
07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
My bad. It was actually this sign (http://www.1-free-dvd.com/AAA_CARTOP_SIGN_PROMO.html) that I saw at my last meetup meeting. Guess the difference is that all four sides are of equal size. It also apparently will sell for $125 including shipping, but they are not yet in production.

Wish their website wasn't so loud. It's pretty confusing.

empirenine
07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
What about large car magnets also? I think they would be much more affordable than this would be, for those of us who don't have a ton of extra money...

I own a vinyl cutter and I'm able to cut large stickers for cars (almost unlimited in length).

My problem at the moment is limiting my labor in creating them because I'm stretched a bit thin for time currently.

The "weeding" of the stickers is the most time-consuming element (weeding is removing the opposite of the sticker from the backing). Once weeded these stickers need a layer of application tape applied to the top side in order to actually place it on an object. It isn't horrible difficult, just time-consuming.

The actual cost for a 36" wide sticker for your back window is probably about $3, but its the labor that's stopping me from offering them to everyone for free.

My thought is that I could cut large rolls of the vinyl and rather than weeding them myself, send them to Meetup groups and let them do the labor. I can purchase the application tape a discount or direct others to the right materials.

Any thoughts?

Mom4Ron
07-09-2007, 10:17 PM
As I was reading your post, I was thinking, as you said in the end, that the meetup groups could likely assist with the weeding.

How much time are we talking about? I have some extra time on Saturdays and I have 2 kids at home for the summer, both of whom are Ron Paul fanatics. ;)

empirenine
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
As I was reading your post, I was thinking, as you said in the end, that the meetup groups could likely assist with the weeding.

How much time are we talking about? I have some extra time on Saturdays and I have 2 kids at home for the summer, both of whom are Ron Paul fanatics. ;)

I'll do my best to explain. The sheet in the picture below started as solid white, and as you can see, the reverse image of the sticker that is left had to be "weeded". Please excuse the quality of the image below.

http://www.ronpaulstamps.com/images/misc/vinyl.jpg

If the vinyl is of good quality and cut correctly, it can be done fairly quickly with only some needle-nose tweezers ($5 here (http://www.signsupply.com/Accessories/Tools_For_Vinyl.asp)). Its more tedious than anything, as some of the vinyl that's meant to stay ON the sheet will try to pull off with the excess.

For a 50 yard roll (24" wide), economy grade roll of vinyl is $63 plus shipping. That works out to about $0.50 per linear foot (which is about 2/3 of what back-window banner would use).

A 12" wide roll of application tape can be purchased for about $25 (that's for 100 yards).

So really, the cost for a large back-window sticker is closer to $1 or so.

Mom4Ron
07-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Hmmmm welp, I'd be happy to do some, but I wonder, unless you're nearby me, would it be cost effective to get them to me and then from me back to you?

If you think it would be, then I'd be happy to do some, but could we get some that say "Ron Paul for President 2008" or something like that so that people will know when they see it why they should Google him?

d'anconia
07-10-2007, 12:47 AM
I saw these too and think the rooftop signs are an excellent idea. If my jeep actually had a metal roof I'd almost definitely do it. Don't necessarily need to have it on top if you have a date but I'm in Los Angeles and always have to run errands around town.

I think it's a great idea for those who have a little extra money.