PDA

View Full Version : Success Story

CodeMonkey
07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forums and just wanted to share my story to give everyone some extra hope.

I live in Mobile, AL and last week I saw a Ron Paul sign on July 4th while driving through town. I had heard the name before but didn't really know anything, so I made a note to check him out later. I spent the next two days at work watching Ron Paul videos on youtube (oops).

This past weekend I went back to Covington, LA, where I grew up, and there I converted my wife and her parents, my brother, my mom and her fiance, and my grandmother. My dad seems on the fence, because unfortunately I had him watch the GS video before giving him much background on RP, and we all know how that went...

My strategies were tailored to each individual person. My brother views the Middle East as a threat, but we were both able to agree that pulling out and defending our borders is a much better strategy than trying to occupy and subdue every country in the region.

My mom and her fiance were convinced that the terrorists hate our freedoms, so I downplayed the war issues and focused on states's rights and constitutionalism. By the end of our conversation they were even agreeing that the war is probably a bad thing :)

In all cases I emphasized his honesty and consistency.

I am worried that the negative media attention will eventually chip away at the people who aren't motivated enough to do their own research, but I plan to keep spreading the word. Thanks to everyone who is working hard to help this campaign.

GO RON PAUL!

P.S. Everyone I spoke to had seen the "Who is Ron Paul?" banners around town, but none of them had bothered to go to the website... it may be about time to start adding more informative signs to the repertoire.

Rocky Mtn Liberty Lover
07-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Great story! Glad you're here.

Erazmus
07-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience! I love to hear how people discover the good doctor. Welcome to the forums.

FreedomLover
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
This is also a success story on how the will to do something as simple as putting up a sign can help people to find a great candidate who they may otherwise have never bothered looking into.

Ron paul overnights and advertising shouldn't be relegated to one day of the year, we should be doing this all the time! Its a domino effect, like codemonkey mentioned, you only need one person to see a sign to get the ball rolling..

yongrel
07-08-2007, 06:37 PM
great first post

kylejack
07-08-2007, 06:45 PM
This thread warms the cockles of my heart. What's a cockle, anyway? Thanks for a great first post.

mesler
07-08-2007, 06:47 PM
If you're a Covington resident, Covington is the meetup group i'm in. Good bunch, if you haven't, please do sign up. We have a meeting tomorrow (though I'll miss unfortunately because I'm in on vacation. :( )

shrugged0106
07-08-2007, 06:47 PM
This thread warms the cockles of my heart. What's a cockle, anyway? Thanks for a great first post.

Hey!? This is a family friendly site!! LMAO:D

kylejack
07-08-2007, 06:49 PM
According to dictionary.com: "9. cockles of one's heart, the depths of one's emotions or feelings: The happy family scene warmed the cockles of his heart."

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 06:53 PM

I've said that before, then stopped to think, do girls even have cockles? :eek:

CodeMonkey
07-08-2007, 06:57 PM
If you're a Covington resident, Covington is the meetup group i'm in. Good bunch, if you haven't, please do sign up. We have a meeting tomorrow (though I'll miss unfortunately because I'm in on vacation. :( )

I actually live in Mobile, and will probably join a meetup group here. I am in Covington about two weekends a month, so I might be able to help out with some campaigning there every now and then.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Everyone who put a sign up July 3 will be heartened. Thanks for telling us. Often we don't know if what we're doing is having any impact whatsoever.

At the Des Moines rally, one of the guys that had carpooled down from MN told me he looked Ron Paul up after I had given him a (crappy) piece of literature (I made myself) at a tax rally at the MN Capital a couple months before. I was so happy to hear that work paid off!

. . . And then you go and convert 10 people, and each does the same. Hell yeah, we've got a chance to win this thing. The little campaign that could.

CodeMonkey
07-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Everyone who put a sign up July 3 will be heartened. Thanks for telling us. Often we don't know if what we're doing is having any impact whatsoever.

At the Des Moines rally, one of the guys that had carpooled down from MN told me he looked Ron Paul up after I had given him a (crappy) piece of literature (I made myself) at a tax rally at the MN Capital a couple months before. I was so happy to hear that work paid off!

. . . And then you go and convert 10 people, and each does the same. Hell yeah, we've got a chance to win this thing. The little campaign that could.

Yeah, I wanted to give everyone a first hand account of how the work pays off. Unfortunately most of the people I converted aren't the type to go around telling everyone they know, but they might end up hooking a few more people through casual conversation.

amdajo
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Codemonkey said- "P.S. Everyone I spoke to had seen the "Who is Ron Paul?" banners around town, but none of them had bothered to go to the website... it may be about time to start adding more informative signs to the repertoire."

It seems to me that very few of the materials designed to get Dr. Paul's name out there, i.e. signs, t-shirts, banners, have the term "For President" on them. We all know he's running for president, but how would someone who has never heard of him know that. For example, my wife and I were at the Vegas rally yesterday, and we both noticed that none of the signs outside the room said anything about him running for president. Anyone walking by would make no connection of importance to the name.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I way off?