PDA

View Full Version : for anyone calling Iowans

Dave Wood
07-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Scream at me all you want, but look at the logic in this. It speaks for itself.

the best way to phone approach strangers is with an unofficial poll.

Hi, is this_____ my name is____we are doing a survey/poll for the Ron Paul for president campaign, the poll has 5 questions do you have time to participate?
First are you reg R or D or I and do you plan to vote in 2008?
Who at this point do you consider your candidate of choice?
If you had to think of the two most important issues to you and your family what would they be?
Are you happy with the current direction of the USA?
Do you know who congressman Ron Paul is?

Or come up with better open ended (requires more than yes/no to answer) questions on your own.

Go from there. If they dont want info or arent willing to answer in more than one word answers say thanks so much participating, its very important.

The whole idea is to get them talking (NOT YOU) they will tell you everything you need to know to be able to get into their heads.

Talk like a college kid reading from a script, better yet have a script to read from, sound like you have been doing this all day. They wont be mean if they told you they had the time in the first place and people love to give their opinions when they believe it is going to be heard by someone who can make a change for them and their families. Be gracious, wait for the moment and plant the seed. Think about how it feels when you cant remember the name of that song. Does it eat you up? Do you ask others to try to find the answer?

You will peek peoples curiosity and you already know their hot button issues, just shoot a couple quick blips of Dr Pauls approach to those issues and contrast it with their candidate of choice if possible.

No need to irritate people. They know its the season and most when they have time will answer a poll. I have posted this before on the forum. It isnt difficult and you wont tick people off.

If you get people that wont shut up, gently interupt with I am so sorry, I only have so much time for each call, yadayadayada.

Come on people this is easy stuff, tried and proven, works every time.

I am sure I will be chastised for posting this several times but if you want to get through the easy way, this is it.

Bryan in Iowa
07-08-2007, 06:23 PM
This sounds great Dave! My only comment would be your first line. You are not calling for the Ron Paul campaign, you are a grassroots volunteer with no connection to the official campaign making phone calls because Ron Paul has peaked your interest. This might completely falsify your reason for calling, but you could give the disqualifier the poll is unofficial.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 06:36 PM
I prefer the candid approach, but everyone's going to have something different that works for them. Do what you're comfortable with, so long as you call and mention Ron Paul.

Dave Wood
07-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Good Point Bryan,

Re-word it....My point on the fist line would have to include introducing his name for those who have never heard of him. I, personally would leave grassroots out of it, but thats just me. "I am a volunteer working for the Ron Paul campaign"....maybe something along those lines??

I think we may be dealing with primarily name recognition problems at this stage but your point is well taken. We are going to be calling your home state, your people, it might be wise to speak up loudly if you know something is doomed to fail.

Maybe Iowan meetups need to write the script?? That should work??

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I say, "Hi Mary. My name is Scribbler and I'm a supporter of Ron Paul, candidate for President. Are you familiar with him?"

kylejack
07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I say, "Hi Mary. My name is Scribbler and I'm a supporter of Ron Paul, candidate for President. Are you familiar with him?"

This sounds good. The important part is to say "Ron Paul" in either the first or second sentence. People get really ticked off at the fake polls that turn out to be a promotion of a candidate. Its better to get it out in the open right away who you support. Don't let people be deceived into thinking you're a polling organization and then hit them over the head with a sales pitch. Be honest in your approaches.

Bryan in Iowa
07-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Be honest in your approaches.

This is my point. Iowans look for honesty, sincerity, and kindness. They are turned off by fake, pushy people. I would assume most people in the country fit this model, which is perhaps why Iowa is a good meter for the rest of the country.

Bradley in DC
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Scream at me all you want, but look at the logic in this. It speaks for itself.

the best way to phone approach strangers is with an unofficial poll.

Hi, is this_____ my name is____we are doing a survey/poll for the Ron Paul for president campaign, the poll has 5 questions do you have time to participate?

Bad idea, dishonest and unless you are a paid staffer for the campaign you're inviting investigations into violation of Federal election law and unnecessary headaches for the campaign. Do NOT say or initmate that you are with the campaign unless you can produce a pay stub from it.

tnvoter
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
good post dave

poppop_schell
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Bump

Noodles
07-16-2007, 01:57 PM
But Bryan, other than yourself, the Iowans I've met on this forum are fake, pushy people. So, why are they in charge?

Dave
07-16-2007, 02:01 PM
But Bryan, other than yourself, the Iowans I've met on this forum are fake, pushy people. So, why are they in charge?

Excuse me?

Noodles
07-16-2007, 02:04 PM
:eek: Obviously I forgot you!:eek:

My feathers are still ruffled from the debacle a few weeks ago. But it does seem that the "official" Iowa campaign is stifling all attempts at progress.

My sincerest apologies, Dave.

ghemminger
07-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Johnnybags
I cannot figure it out with so many posts, the campaign should just give spooner the script and stand back. Is it on or off?

I just sent an email to Chuck Young" <ccy@earthlink.net> and jimv@qumasoft.com, anbsoft@hotmail.com

Let's fire spooner back up.....why are we so quick to SHUT DOWN....why are we so afraid of duplicating efforts????? The free market is all about duplicating efforts, driving down costs and increasing competition!!!!

Let's get Chuck to fire up OPS Spooner again.....!!!! HQ can have the Meetups....Have OPS Spooner for everyone else.....

Why kill inspiration, technology and compettion...am I smoking crack or what?????

Lord Xar
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM

My feathers are still ruffled from the debacle a few weeks ago. But it does seem that the "official" Iowa campaign is stifling all attempts at progress.

How are they stifling attempts? Listen, I think some persons, who have access, to contact those who are 'trying' to take over the operation and coordinate together and if they are sitting on their asses.... move forward as planned.

True, why was the situation shut down.. it was a great motivator and a great idea.. shit, push forward... PUSH FORWARD!

jnpg
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
:mad:

What is the problem with the campaign?! They can't get us all ready to go on the calls and then not give us some bleepin' phone numbers.

We are burning daylight, so to speak.

Anyone got any #s to call?

Also the advokit was so cool- are they going to use that-
Feeling like we are in the cold right now....

Lord Xar
07-16-2007, 02:16 PM
I think someone from this forum, or another "non involved" person should be the contact person with some of them people.. this way, the grassroots folks, US, will be informed and not jump to conclusions or give up in our ideas and such...

Dave
07-16-2007, 02:23 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't sweat it.

The 'official' Iowa campaign is only 3 people and 2 of them have only been on board for a week. I've been really impressed with Joe Seehusen so far. I'm anxious to see if he's at the Des Moines meetup tonight. In fact, I've met most of the people from HQ and so far I've been impressed. Everyone is clearly overwhelmed with the response, though.

I know his name was on the email asking for help but I'd be surprised if Joe is the one who is responsible for the HQ 'call Iowa' effort. I would think that would be handled in DC or TX...I will try to find out tonight.

Supporters like me kind of feel naked out here in Iowa because we know the goal is to win the Ames Straw Poll but we had a late start...and everyone else is crawling all over Iowa making appearances and running radio, tv, and print ads, using telemarketing and direct mail, and providing transportation and tickets for Ames. Having the next GOP debate in Des Moines on August 5 will be a big help - I wish it was on in prime time. Having Dr. Paul here between the 5th and 11th will help, too, but it's getting late in the game to get much name recognition so fast.

LibertyEagle
07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Dave,

Do you know anything about the calling program that Joe said he was setting up? The grassroots effort, Operation Spooner, has been shut down and no one has heard anything from Mr. Seehusen.

Roxi
07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
i believe they want to do the calling the week before the straw poll and are waiting to give numbers.....the pulling of operation spooner MAY have had something to do with telemarketing laws, and it MAY have to be set up under a PAC or something...because we arent being paid i have no clue if these laws apply though

Dustancostine
07-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I can call whoever I please when ever I please.

LibertyEagle
07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
i believe they want to do the calling the week before the straw poll and are waiting to give numbers.....the pulling of operation spooner MAY have had something to do with telemarketing laws, and it MAY have to be set up under a PAC or something...because we arent being paid i have no clue if these laws apply though

I don't see how. 1. Spooner wasn't sanctioned by the official campaign. 2. There is no good, product, or service being sold.

poppop_schell
07-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't see how. 1. Spooner wasn't sanctioned by the official campaign. 2. There is no good, product, or service being sold.

I have seen too many evidences of "footdragging" for over a month at National. IMO, there are some people who don't want RP to do well in the Ames Poll and using McCain-Feingold to scare people into doing NOTHING. I have been invloved in politics for 4)+ years. This pulling of Spooner is IMO the action of agent provacteur(s)

Oh right... call me paranoid if you wish. Let's hope I'm wrong. IMO, the strawvote will show for all to see.

Noodles
07-17-2007, 12:43 PM
bump

LibertyEagle
07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I won't call you paranoid, schell, because I too think this whole thing has been handled horribly. If Mr. Seehusen doesn't get the numbers out today, I think we need to know why.

tiznow
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
They should be starting to go out tonight. If you get a call list please post that you received it on the forum to calm some nerves so to speak. as i'm guessing everybody won't be receiving it all at once. we still have 24 days left till the straw poll plenty of time and the indication is they will be rolling it out tonight.

This is an e-mail I got from a recent hire in iowa that i know.

"please let anyone who contacts you know that we are working our butts off to get call lists out to everyone asap. we had a huge response and over 2,000,000 people's worth of info to reformat and sort, so it was a huge job, but call lists are starting to go out tonight.

thanks!"

poppop_schell
07-17-2007, 08:07 PM
They should be starting to go out tonight. If you get a call list please post that you received it on the forum to calm some nerves so to speak. as i'm guessing everybody won't be receiving it all at once. we still have 24 days left till the straw poll plenty of time and the indication is they will be rolling it out tonight.

This is an e-mail I got from a recent hire in iowa that i know.

"please let anyone who contacts you know that we are working our butts off to get call lists out to everyone asap. we had a huge response and over 2,000,000 people's worth of info to reformat and sort, so it was a huge job, but call lists are starting to go out tonight.

thanks!"

I will post to this thread as soon as I get my list and instructions.

They wouldn't have to working their "butts off" if they knew better how to use the grassroots volunteers. I hope they quickly move up the learning curve.

poppop_schell
07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
IF YOU WISGH TO CALL FOR THE STRAWVOTE, CONTACT calliowa@ronpaul2008.com I have yet to hear back from them but I am hopeful that I have been wrong about National.

orenbus
07-18-2007, 03:14 PM
You haven't heard from them? I thought this was
resolved yesterday, some people posted that they've
gotten some numbers and a script.

poppop_schell
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Bump

poppop_schell
07-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Bump

poppop_schell