PDA

View Full Version : I love calling Iowans!!!

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Just made a couple calls so far, left one message, and got into a really good discussion with one lady who is very active politically. I dreaded getting going at first, but once you start, it's a piece of cake.

I'm going to send her one of the DVDs that I just burned, but still need a label for it. I guess I'll go ahead and hobble one together if no one has made one already.

Make those phone calls. You'll find it gratifying! (Plus, you'll sleep well at night knowing you're getting Ron Paul elected.) :D

DJ RP
07-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Excellent stuff. This is the kind of thing that wins elections. None of the other republican candidates have supporters doing this for free in any kind of meaningful numbers. I can guarantee.

LastoftheMohicans
07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Any advice for using the fact that I'm out of state to our advantage?

CJLauderdale4
07-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Waiting to get a list from the Iowa team.....anxiously...

torchbearer
07-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Are you telling people that you are not with the official campaign, just a fellow american reaching out to others?

RPatTheBeach
07-08-2007, 03:42 PM
I would love to Paulinate (also pronounced pollinate, heheh) Iowa, as well as South Carolina (where I live), but I have had no luck luring anyone in person. If I can't convince my friends and family, surely I cannot convince complete strangers. I guess I am just not a good politicker.

DjLoTi
07-08-2007, 03:43 PM
I've talked to over 100 people face to face, but I don't think I can do random phone calls...

WannaBfree
07-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I would love to Paulinate (also pronounced pollinate, heheh) Iowa, as well as South Carolina (where I live), but I have had no luck luring anyone in person. If I can't convince my friends and family, surely I cannot convince complete strangers. I guess I am just not a good politicker.

Try giving them a copy of the documentary 'America: Freedom To Fascism' which Ron Paul appears in. Filmmaker Aaron Russo (The Rose, Trading Places) waived his copyright for non profit use so that we the people can freely distribute it. It's also on GoogleVideo.

Tuck
07-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Try giving them a copy of the documentary 'America: Freedom To Fascism' which Ron Paul appears in. Filmmaker Aaron Russo (The Rose, Trading Places) waived his copyright for non profit use so that we the people can freely distribute it. It's also on GoogleVideo.

That will scare too many people with the truth and they will end up running to somebody like McCain or Romney.

cajuncocoa
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Waiting to get a list from the Iowa team.....anxiously...

Me, too.

randymatt
07-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Workin on my family and friends there,,, I was born and raised in the Quad-Cities, IA area. Still got alot of numbers to go thru.

angrydragon
07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Rock on...I'd fail at doing this, my phone voice sucks.

Birdlady
07-08-2007, 04:01 PM

Actually complete strangers are easier to convince than family! If your family won't listen just move on. I have been trying to get my mother to see the false left/right paradigm for 4 years and I think she is finally coming around. haha!:)

Dave Wood
07-08-2007, 04:35 PM
the best way to phone approach strangers is with an unofficial poll.

Hi, is this_____ we are doing a political poll for the Ron Paul for president campaign, the poll has 5 questions do you have time?
First are you reg R or D and do you plan to vote in 2008?
Who at this point do you consider your candidate of choice?
If you had to think of the two most important issues to you and your family what would they be?
Are you happy with the current direction of the USA?
Do you know who congressman Ron Paul is?

Or come up with better open ended (requires more than yes/no to answer) questions on your own.

Go from there. If they dont want info or arent willing to answer in more than one word answers say thanks so much participating, its very important.

You will peek peoples curiousity and you already know their hot button issues, just shoot a couple quick blips of Dr Pauls approach to those issues and contrast it with their candidate of choice if possible.

No need to irritate people. They know its the season and most when they have time will answer a poll. I have posted this before on the forum. It isnt difficult and you wont tick people off

angelatc
07-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Me either. I didn't sign up to call people because I am just not a natural people person. I don't automatically engage with people, and on my best day I would sound forced and awkward. Unless I drank first, in which case the poor people would not be able to get me off the phone.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Try giving them a copy of the documentary 'America: Freedom To Fascism' which Ron Paul appears in.

Actually, we need to appear a little more mainstream than that. And to be brutally honest, the DVD Project wasn't quite as mainstream as it could have been. Still good to send. We've got to put ourselves in the average American's shoes. Not only are they going to believe that they are required to pay taxes, but that anyone who argues otherwise is a kook. I don't care how true it is; they're going to turn and run if they see that.

Are you telling people that you are not with the official campaign, just a fellow american reaching out to others?

Yeah, I'm saying I'm a supporter of Ron Paul, and am just calling on my own to answer any questions they might have about him.

Dave Wood
07-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Me either. I didn't sign up to call people because I am just not a natural people person. I don't automatically engage with people, and on my best day I would sound forced and awkward. Unless I drank first, in which case the poor people would not be able to get me off the phone.

This is where a survey/poll takes the heat off, all you have to do is sound like you are reading from a script. People love to give their opinions especially when it comes to politics or religion. The only hurdle is to get THEM talking, not you, just listen and when the moment is right offer some info. Always be gracious and act as if you have been doing this all day long. You will stick a bug in their head that wont go away, kinda like forgetting the name of that song you just heard and who wrote it. That eats people up until they satisfy their need for the answer.

specsaregood
07-08-2007, 05:00 PM
//

bojo68
07-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Actually, we need to appear a little more mainstream than that. And to be brutally honest, the DVD Project wasn't quite as mainstream as it could have been. Still good to send. We've got to put ourselves in the average American's shoes. Not only are they going to believe that they are required to pay taxes, but that anyone who argues otherwise is a kook. I don't care how true it is; they're going to turn and run if they see that.

Yeah, I'm saying I'm a supporter of Ron Paul, and am just calling on my own to answer any questions they might have about him.

I wanna know how you got numbers to call and all the rest of us are waiting in the wind.

kylejack
07-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I wanna know how you got numbers to call and all the rest of us are waiting in the wind.

They're probably trying to organize the list and ensure that each person gets an equal portion of the list and that no numbers get duplicated. Would be a nightmare if the same people got called by fifty of us at once.

jj111
07-08-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm waiting for my list too. What instructions or script have they given you?

Man from La Mancha
07-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Yes I want to know also.

bojo68 Aren't these 2 groups the same? British and bankers

Paul Revere - "The British are coming!"
Ron Paul - The Bankers are coming!

angelatc
07-08-2007, 06:02 PM
This is really an amazing phenomenom. Big tier candidates actually have to pay people to do this stuff.

damijin
07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I guess I'll get in on this too, although it sounds like I might be waiting a little bit to get my list :)

ecliptic
07-08-2007, 06:25 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAh HHAHAHAHAHahaaahahahahahahh!!!!!!!

That's funny

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 06:32 PM

I only have 20 numbers. Got them from AustinPhish a couple weeks ago. But like the rest of you, I'm waiting on a file of 500 for my Meetup group. They're still scrubbing the data (I like that image). I got the same message you all did about that.

monotony
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Where does one get a list? I'd love to start calling people and spreading the message of freedom!

CJLauderdale4
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I just got my username and password. I was able to login to Spooner's Advokit database.

There's no assigned jobs yet, but I presume they will begin dividing out the work once we all register and login with our new accounts.

Still anxiously waiting....

LibertyEagle
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Where does one get a list? I'd love to start calling people and spreading the message of freedom!

Go here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=5537&page=6

Look for the Jason Stoddard (Stagirusghost) post near the end of the thread.

CJLauderdale4
07-08-2007, 07:21 PM

Just send a blank email to outreach4ronpaul@yahoo.com. Then follow the instructions on each follow-up email.

You'll be up and going in no time!!

Razmear
07-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Folks might want to check out this instructional video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6SVrqhdDM
before calling Iowans.
Also, don't say you are representing the Ron Paul campaign unless you are on their payroll. You can say your a supporter, but not an official campaign representative.

eb

kylejack
07-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Also, this should be a given but do not, under any circumstances, fly off the handle at anyone while making these calls, or say anything that could be taken as sassy. I read a news article that said that Iowans have been known to record their phone calls due to the very high number of political calls they get during the campaigns since they're the first caucus in the nation.

Bradley in DC
07-08-2007, 08:44 PM

correct

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
@@@

Roxi
07-08-2007, 08:50 PM
my friend mindy worked for a telemarketing company a few years ago that was hired to do the john kerry campaign...she said to practice they had her call a few locals before calling Iowa

not a bad idea, it helps get you used to the script before calling iowans who are used to these calls and helps spread the word in your own town...just grab the phone book and make a few calls (you might want to check local telemarketing laws although since your not selling anything i dont even know if they apply)

Bryan in Iowa
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I sent Rachel a message today on YouTube, and suggested a couple of changes in her approach. To be truthful, the little play-acting she does could happen, but not in the general sense. Most people you contact, especially if they're on a Republican list of voters (people who voted in previous elections) will have a candidate in mind. If you ask them if they've thought about a particular candidate, they will respond with a name...what do you do then?

I would keep it simple. Meaning, inform the listener you are a Ron Paul supporter and you're just spreading the word to other citizens. Perhaps ask if they've heard of Ron Paul, but do not get into a discussion comparing the candidates.

I will be talking to Joe Seehusen and see what the status is on a script. I've asked him a couple of times and was told it was being taken care of. I will inform him the ronpaulforums people are not aware of a script and one would probably be in our best interest.

kylejack
07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Sorry, if that's Rachel, I can't watch her anymore. Do you have another spokesperson? Better yet, as many of us can read, put it in writing. Aw, never mind, I have 1.5 decades experience doing this and I guarantee you that I'm smarter than Rachel.

Ooooooooooo ICEBURN. This could get messy as she posts here sometimes.

Aborell
07-08-2007, 09:03 PM
what is a girl

Aborell
07-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I sent Rachel a message today on YouTube, and suggested a couple of changes in her approach. To be truthful, the little play-acting she does could happen, but not in the general sense. Most people you contact, especially if they're on a Republican list of voters (people who voted in previous elections) will have a candidate in mind. If you ask them if they've thought about a particular candidate, they will respond with a name...what do you do then?

I would keep it simple. Meaning, inform the listener you are a Ron Paul supporter and you're just spreading the word to other citizens. Perhaps ask if they've heard of Ron Paul, but do not get into a discussion comparing the candidates.

I will be talking to Joe Seehusen and see what the status is on a script. I've asked him a couple of times and was told it was being taken care of. I will inform him the ronpaulforums people are not aware of a script and one would probably be in our best interest.

Yeah, I just watched that video. Uhh, new script needed!

We should just called up Iowans and say, "IF YOU VOTE FOR RON PAUL WE WILL FIND YOU AND KILL YOU." That plan has no flaws.

Bryan in Iowa
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Ooooooooooo ICEBURN. This could get messy as she posts here sometimes.

Rachel definitely has her heart in the right place, and will be an asset to the Ron Paul campaign. She's young, simply needs a bit of experience...but she's enthusiastic, loyal, and attracts young males :cool:

Aborell
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
and attracts young males :cool:

what is a girl

:eek:

DavyDuke17
07-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Any advice for using the fact that I'm out of state to our advantage?

I definitely think that you can use that to your advantage. First acknowledge that you are NOT part of the campaign but just a supporter that realizes how important Iowa is.

Then, if you get the chance, explain to them how Ron Paul wants to drastically reduce the role of federal government in our lives, and thinks that states should have more power over these issues. For example, say that I am a New Yorker and I know about the problems we have here but I do not know much about what problems Iowa is facing. That is why Ron Paul feels that its best not to use a one size fits all, federal approach to government. Iowans would definitely be the best to be solving Iowa's problems.

I think the fact that your just a regular out-of-state person thats not being paid is actually a huge plus because of how much attention they are getting.

I would love to do some calling, but my cell phone plan would not mesh well with a bunch of long distance calls.

Scribbler de Stebbing
07-08-2007, 09:17 PM
. . .

StagirasGhost
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Post this whereever you think it might attract the best audience only to begin making calls only to generate voters in Iowa for Ron Paul

Those that have already signed up should have received a message a couple of minutes ago detailing your log-in and basic instructions.

You'll find a script and certain questions you might want to ask. You also might want to take a look at Rachel Mills' video on this listed below.

The interface is very user friendly and we debugged it all to death, so there should be no problems.

If you encounter problems write me at stoddard.jason@gmail.com; I may redirect Vernon Robinson or Chuck Young to reply as they are advanced in the infrastructure.

If you encounter philosophical issues with callers or would like to talk about your experience calling and how best to deliver the Ron Paul freedom philosophy or candidate message, call me 512.925.0921. (Jason Stoddard)

The Metric:

We need 2,500 callers calling until August 10th. If each caller "enlists" no less than 4 voters each, each committed to voting for Ron Paul in Ames, that is 10,000 votes for Ron Paul and certain victory at the Ames Iowa Straw Poll.

Over 600 media outlets attend and cover the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl6SVrqhdDM

Send an email to Outreach4RonPaul@yahoo.com or ccy@earthlink.net

Writing the latter address will bump you up a step.

Include:

your name
email address
city, state/meetup group #

Let us know if you're a MeetUp group team leader so we can organize it to correspond with your log-in. Otherwise, we will select a team lead for every part of the country/meetupgroup represented, respectively.

Please pay this forward. We have 34 days to win The Straw Poll for Ron Paul.

God Speed and God Bless Ron Paul.

Thanks to Brad, Rachel, and especially Chuck on this. We could not have done this without you all. Two weeks in the making, and 34 days until victorious results...

Aborell
07-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Uh okay thanks

WannaBfree
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
That will scare too many people with the truth and they will end up running to somebody like McCain or Romney.

You don't think they'd instead run to Ron Paul who is the only one fighting it?

Both the film and filmmaker are pretty mainstream, it's not an underground video per se in style and substance. The filmmaker Aaron Russo also made the movies The Rose and Trading Places. It's definitely worked for me in getting new Ron Paul supporters.

It's been recommended as "essential" by Citizens For Ron Paul. Also, The Daily Paul has recommended this movie and had it on their blog. Here is the link:

http://www.dailypaul.com/taxonomy/term/210

For those think this should be not seen or distributed, see the video of Dr. Paul's speech at the Phoenix airport.

"All tyranny needs to gain foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent" - Thomas Jefferson

sandersondavis
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM

Where can I verify that he has infact waived his copyright for non profit use.
I just want to be sure before I burn 500 copies to hand out?

jj111
07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I definitely think that you can use that to your advantage. First acknowledge that you are NOT part of the campaign but just a supporter that realizes how important Iowa is.

Then, if you get the chance, explain to them how Ron Paul wants to drastically reduce the role of federal government in our lives, and thinks that states should have more power over these issues. For example, say that I am a New Yorker and I know about the problems we have here but I do not know much about what problems Iowa is facing. That is why Ron Paul feels that its best not to use a one size fits all, federal approach to government. Iowans would definitely be the best to be solving Iowa's problems.

I think the fact that your just a regular out-of-state person thats not being paid is actually a huge plus because of how much attention they are getting.

I would love to do some calling, but my cell phone plan would not mesh well with a bunch of long distance calls.

I think Skype is free or at least dirt cheap. Check it out. www.skype.com

mport1
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
This project is a must to do well in Iowa. We all need to put in every bit of time we have.

Bryan in Iowa
07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
:eek:

I was joking with the 'young male' comment....:p

Bryan in Iowa
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Post this whereever you think it might attract the best audience only to begin making calls only to generate voters in Iowa for Ron Paul

Thanks Jason, I feel at ease the information Joe gave me about 'Texas' taking care of this is true. Glad to have you guys on board!

CurtisLow
07-08-2007, 10:09 PM
I've talked to over 100 people face to face, but I don't think I can do random phone calls...

Yeah, I guess if you never cold called it's kind of weird. I never done it. But if you had free dvd's to give away as a free offer no strings, I guess that would help.
But you have to remember this is a once in our life time deal. So if needed I will cold call. Anyone have a script to go by? give me 35 phone numbers.

Bryan in Iowa
07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I guess if you never cold called it's kind of weird. I never done it. But if you had free dvd's to give away as a free offer no strings, I guess that would help.
But you have to remember this is a once in our life time deal. So if needed I will cold call. Anyone have a script to go by? give me 35 phone numbers.

From: http://ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=58699&postcount=44

Send an email to Outreach4RonPaul@yahoo.com or ccy@earthlink.net

Writing the latter address will bump you up a step.

Include:

your name
email address
city, state/meetup group #

bojo68
07-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Rachel attracts young males :cool:

If she'd hold still she'd probably attract some of us old ones too.:D

Tuck
07-09-2007, 12:08 AM
You don't think they'd instead run to Ron Paul who is the only one fighting it?

Both the film and filmmaker are pretty mainstream, it's not an underground video per se in style and substance. The filmmaker Aaron Russo also made the movies The Rose and Trading Places. It's definitely worked for me in getting new Ron Paul supporters.

It's been recommended as "essential" by Citizens For Ron Paul. Also, The Daily Paul has recommended this movie and had it on their blog. Here is the link:

http://www.dailypaul.com/taxonomy/term/210

For those think this should be not seen or distributed, see the video of Dr. Paul's speech at the Phoenix airport.

"All tyranny needs to gain foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent" - Thomas Jefferson

If 75% of the public would take the time to research the information and read the actual laws than yes it would have a positive effect. The sad truth is that most people don't take the time or effort to do the research which is why we have a lot of these problems in the first place. People are always on the lookout for their next leader, somebody who appears to understand the problems and knows how to fix them. Just look at how much support Rudy has from the republican base when he's literally a democrat in drag. Google the qualities of a good leader and then listen to what people say about the skills needed to be president.

When your on the phone be sure to mention Ron Paul has the most consistent record in congress and is the most fiscally conservative member year after year for now 20 years :D

carla8478
07-09-2007, 01:48 AM

Actually you would be surprised a lot of times a complete stranger will give you the benefit of the doubt quicker than family members who know everything about you including your faults. You have a clean slate when working with a stranger.

WannaBfree
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
If 75% of the public would take the time to research the information and read the actual laws than yes it would have a positive effect. The sad truth is that most people don't take the time or effort to do the research which is why we have a lot of these problems in the first place.

The research fortunately is presented by many in the film, including a Constitution expert and former IRS agents.

Ron Paul will be appearing in Mountain View, California with Joe Banister,
former IRS Criminal Investigation Division Special Agent, on July 14th, 2007.

VIDEO: Ron Paul & Joe Banister on CNBC 2004 - UnConstitutional Income Tax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZl6202HJGQ

Aaron Russo: Is there a law (that requires people to fill out a 1040)?
Ron Paul: I can't cite a law, no.
from America: Freedom To Fascism

austinphish
07-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Scribler got in on the initial round of Iowa Delegates calling. You are waiting on round 2 which is a much larger project. Have patience, these guys are working on it.

I am glad that you are so willing to help. It is almost unbelievable to some of the Iowans you call that you are just a concerned American, calling on your own time to support Ron Paul.

poppop_schell
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM

This is where a survey/poll takes the heat off, all you have to do is sound like you are reading from a script. People love to give their opinions especially when it comes to politics or religion. The only hurdle is to get THEM talking, not you, just listen and when the moment is right offer some info. Always be gracious and act as if you have been doing this all day long. You will stick a bug in their head that wont go away, kinda like forgetting the name of that song you just heard and who wrote it. That eats people up until they satisfy their need for the answer.

It is diffcult for EVERYONE to get out of your "comfort zone." We bring to the Ron Paul Campaign many different talents and expereinces which is a real benefit. BUT, there are some tasks like telephone calling which are key to Paul's success. It will cause some of us to take a step out of our "comfort zone." BUT, you know what? You will become a better person for doing this.

Imagine how FAR out the "comfort zone" that many farmers, merchants, etc had to take to win us our Freedoms back in 1776? CFan we do anything less for this battlke to take back our Constitution???? Let none of us be a "sunshine patriot."

orenbus
07-10-2007, 04:42 PM
In case your looking for a link to Rachel's video on youtube here it is;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVuxA0UtzZg

Here is a link on FreeMe.TV

http://www.ronpaulnation.com/tv.html#iowa_operation_spooner

MensaGirl
07-10-2007, 04:59 PM
In case your looking for a link to Rachel's video on youtube here it is

Yeah, it's been linked here ad nauseum.

torchbearer
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah, it's been linked here ad nauseum.

I take it you've been reading these forums as a guest for sometime. welcome to the forum as a member. Can't wait to see your own youtube video for ron paul!

;) I also assume you are mensa? I think almost everyone running the libertarian party in louisiana is also mensa.

freedom_junkie
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Getting ready on my day off to do this..... its so exciting I'm biting my nails....this better get in the F@#$% press!

Dave
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I justed wanted to say that all of us in Iowa really appreciate all the hard work being done by people outside our state. We could never lift this bar by ourselves and having your help is making all the difference.

Thank you.

Shatterhand
07-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Would it be helpful to mention Dr. Paul's stance against the NAIS while calling Iowa?

Dave
07-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Would it be helpful to mention Dr. Paul's stance against the NAIS while calling Iowa?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, do you mean the national animal identification system? If so this will only matter to people with livestock, which is a very small percentage of Iowans. If you figure out you're talking to someone with livestock (not all farmers) then by all means try it out. I'd say almost all farmers are against it or indifferent about it so I don't think you risk a lot here.

poppop_schell
07-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Bump

poppop_schell
07-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Bump

sleeper
07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Just made a couple calls so far, left one message, and got into a really good discussion with one lady who is very active politically. I dreaded getting going at first, but once you start, it's a piece of cake.

I'm going to send her one of the DVDs that I just burned, but still need a label for it. I guess I'll go ahead and hobble one together if no one has made one already.

Make those phone calls. You'll find it gratifying! (Plus, you'll sleep well at night knowing you're getting Ron Paul elected.) :D

What video do you have and can I make copies and send them out? I need to find out how to do the DVD format though so they can be watched on DVD players also.

poppop_schell
07-18-2007, 03:11 PM
IF YOU WISH TO CALL FOR THE STRAWVOTE, CONTACT calliowa@ronpaul2008.com

poppop_schell
07-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Bump

poppop_schell
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
bump

LibertyEagle
07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Still waiting on my phone numbers.

joshdvm
07-21-2007, 04:09 PM
This was an interesting call: This particular lady said she hadn't heard of him, and said none of the Republicans looked very appealing. I told her about Ron, and she got VERY interested. Everything I said sounded good to her.

Then she asked what Ron's position is on gay marriage. I said he believes in all voluntary associations, but that the federal government should stay out of it, either way--it should be decided at the state level. She got negative and said that was a deal breaker for her. There's no way she could consider a candidate unless they wanted to ban gay marriage--just staying out of it wouldn't be acceptable. Oh, well. But she still sounded really interested, especially that he was an OB doctor.

Then, later on I called her back by mistake, because her husband's name was also listed further down on the list. I apologized, but then she said she told her husband about RP and would I please call back later to talk to him!

Question for anyone: What do you think is the best way of answering when the person asks, "What's his position on __________?"

He's a lot more than just his position on any one particular issue, and I don't want people just making a snap decision based on that. What's a good way to answer that, while still keeping the door open in case they don't agree on the one issue?

Also, what are some good, accurate one line answers to explain his position on...

Abortion

Gay marriage

Immigration

I'm sure there are more issues I'll want more one-liners for. I'll post as necessary.

jasonhlasvegas
07-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Josh I think that is the biggest problem. I think the snap judgement thing is difficult to overcome. People often look at a candidate's point for point issue outline, and cross someone off because of one particular issue. I support Ron Paul on the basis of his entire platform, not one particular issue, and some issues I simply do not agree with. In spite of that I have come to the conclusion he is the best candidate based on all of his positions, and his honesty and integrity as a person. It took me 5 years to recognize the how bad the Bush administration has handled the direction of our country, and it took me 3-4 weeks of reading Ron Paul material before I made the plunge. It just isn't something you can do in a short conversation. Any ideas?

Dustancostine
07-21-2007, 05:13 PM
This was an interesting call: This particular lady said she hadn't heard of him, and said none of the Republicans looked very appealing. I told her about Ron, and she got VERY interested. Everything I said sounded good to her.

Then she asked what Ron's position is on gay marriage. I said he believes in all voluntary associations, but that the federal government should stay out of it, either way--it should be decided at the state level. She got negative and said that was a deal breaker for her. There's no way she could consider a candidate unless they wanted to ban gay marriage--just staying out of it wouldn't be acceptable. Oh, well. But she still sounded really interested, especially that he was an OB doctor.

Then, later on I called her back by mistake, because her husband's name was also listed further down on the list. I apologized, but then she said she told her husband about RP and would I please call back later to talk to him!

Question for anyone: What do you think is the best way of answering when the person asks, "What's his position on __________?"

He's a lot more than just his position on any one particular issue, and I don't want people just making a snap decision based on that. What's a good way to answer that, while still keeping the door open in case they don't agree on the one issue?

Also, what are some good, accurate one line answers to explain his position on...

Abortion

Gay marriage

Immigration

I'm sure there are more issues I'll want more one-liners for. I'll post as necessary.

I would just say that Rep. Paul believes that states should determine the marriage issue, just as they are now. Rep. Paul believes that these issues are better determined at the local level and doesn't believe that Washington should be telling the states and individuals what they can and can't do. As it is stated in the Constitution.

This answer is true and it also leaves the door open for the voter to decide for himself what to do about the issue. If they don't want gay marriages they can vote that way at the state level, as many states have already done. Also if they are pro gay marriages they feel they can make a difference that way as well. Or if they are for getting the government out of the marriage business entirely they can vote that way.

And always tell the truth. If a voter is turned off by an issue there is nothing you can do but telling a lie is worse. But always give RP message with explanation. For example if you tell them that Paul thinks that the Gay marriage issue is to be left to the states, make sure they know it is for constitutional reason that RP believes this way and not for personal reasons.

Dustancostine
07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Immigration:

Rep. Paul believes that the United States is soveriegn nation and citizens of other countries should respect our laws concerning entry. Our border is probably the easiest way for a terrorist to enter the country so we must make sure it is protected. Rep. Paul is against amnesty because those people broke the law.

ronpaulitician
07-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Hmm... cold calls. Not my thing.

Just finished my 75 calls. Fifteen people answered. Of those, one had heard of Ron Paul. About 6 of them said they'd check his website out. I probably just suck at calling (probably due to the fact that I hate talking to people on the phone). I actually started hoping that people weren't home, so I could just leave a message on their answering machine.

I'm gonna go work on writing letters. Hope that'll improve his name recognition in Iowa.

maggiebott
07-21-2007, 05:49 PM
I did 20 and asked them to send me 50 more and if they are hard pressed I would take 100. Most people were not home and a few that I left messages for called me back within an hour. Their big concern was how I got their phone numbers. Out of the ones I did speak to I only got two that seemed interested. Maybe my next batch will bring better results.

ronpaulitician
07-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I did 20 and asked them to send me 50 more and if they are hard pressed I would take 100. Most people were not home and a few that I left messages for called me back within an hour. Their big concern was how I got their phone numbers. Out of the ones I did speak to I only got two that seemed interested. Maybe my next batch will bring better results.
a) How did we get these phone numbers?
b) Are we supposed to leave our phone number when we leave a message?

joshdvm
07-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Immigration:

Rep. Paul believes that the United States is soveriegn nation and citizens of other countries should respect our laws concerning entry. Our border is probably the easiest way for a terrorist to enter the country so we must make sure it is protected. Rep. Paul is against amnesty because those people broke the law.

I said RP is against illegal immigration, and he wants to reduce the incentives for people to come here and get free benefits at taxpayers' expense. I think that's a fair statement, right?

If it is, I will definitely incorporate what you said into that. Thank you, also, for your suggestions with handling the gay marriage, and abortion issue.

There are so many new threads, I hesitate before starting a new one, but do you think my post above would be a good OP for a new thread? I think anticipating and being prepared to answer the "Where does he stand on _________?" question is something important that we should all put our heads together on.

joshdvm
07-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Hmm... cold calls. Not my thing.

Just finished my 75 calls. Fifteen people answered. Of those, one had heard of Ron Paul. About 6 of them said they'd check his website out. I probably just suck at calling (probably due to the fact that I hate talking to people on the phone). I actually started hoping that people weren't home, so I could just leave a message on their answering machine.

I'm gonna go work on writing letters. Hope that'll improve his name recognition in Iowa.

I used to do telemarketing, so I felt it was my solemn duty to enlist myself for this task. It's not for everybody, but I'm just glad I do it because I want to, I don't have to do it 5 hours straight, and I don't have a supervisor breathing down my neck. If you still want to give it your best shot, the one piece of advice I have is to try to have fun. Think about how great you think he is, then think specifically why he's great. Now think how you'd love to just tell someone else about him! Now you have a free license to do just that!

I love telling people I'm an UNPAID volunteer right off the bat, and telling them there's someone they may not have heard of yet. That gives me enthusiasm for the rest of the call. Just keep the enthusiasm, and you'll know when to let the person go if they're not interested. They'll be ok. Likewise, when you find someone who's interested, you'll know it and that'll give you enthusiasm for the next call.

Keep in mind, each of has just has to get 4 people to vote for RP in Ames. And even if you don't get your 4 people, just think how we're helping to make him a house hold name--calling people's households!

(Personally, I only leave messages for the older folks, 70's or older. I figure they're more likely to have the patience to listen to my message, and they have the free time to go to the website and get involved in the Straw Poll. I leave my name and number so they know I'm a real person).

Dustancostine
07-21-2007, 06:53 PM
I said RP is against illegal immigration, and he wants to reduce the incentives for people to come here and get free benefits at taxpayers' expense. I think that's a fair statement, right?

If it is, I will definitely incorporate what you said into that. Thank you, also, for your suggestions with handling the gay marriage, and abortion issue.

There are so many new threads, I hesitate before starting a new one, but do you think my post above would be a good OP for a new thread? I think anticipating and being prepared to answer the "Where does he stand on _________?" question is something important that we should all put our heads together on.

What you were telling them is really good also. Also I think a new thread would be great. You could label it "What to say to Iowans" or something to that effect.

Jennifer Reynolds
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
///

LibertyEagle
07-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Jennifer,

You have a PM.

poppop_schell
07-30-2007, 12:24 PM
IMO, the mailiowa program is a better use of our limited time. They also have something to look at rather than a simple voice on the telephone. I just completed sending out 50 letters. It cost me about 60 cents/letter. That cost included:

1. a cover letter (10cents)
2. a one page flyer from the ronpaul2008.com site (10 cents)
3. the stamp (41 cents)
4. a business size enevelope (1 cent)

I will send you my cover letter if you wish and the RP handout I used. BTW, I asked for 50 more because it only took me about 2 hours to sign and stuff. I consider that a great use of my time.

poppop_schell
07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Bump