PDA

View Full Version : A National Shame happened yesterday

Ruby Justice
12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
How may national shames after Iraq, Katerina, etc. must the American people endure?

This story (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iVC1KMTOgwiSoMQyT2LwZc9HyAgA) shows how deeply broken America's soul is, and i worry it will go unnoticed.

Ron Paul is the only man that can reverse this trend. I wish someone would get his opinion on this story and make it an election issue to be reckoned with. Can/do Native Americans typically vote? Can we get them on the Freedom Train?

Descendants of Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse break away from US

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The Lakota Indians, who gave the world legendary warriors Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, have withdrawn from treaties with the United States, leaders said Wednesday.

"We are no longer citizens of the United States of America and all those who live in the five-state area that encompasses our country are free to join us," long-time Indian rights activist Russell Means told a handful of reporters and a delegation from the Bolivian embassy, gathered in a church in a run-down neighborhood of Washington for a news conference.

JustAnotherV
12-20-2007, 04:54 PM
This is brutal. And the MSM ignores it while covering Brit and interviewing Hillary 20 times. Maybe we can talk about Obama's alleged lack of "experience" a few more times and ignore that our country now has a hole in it. WTF.

I wish them luck.

I don't know about how much they would typically vote, although if they withdrew their treaty they don't have that right...

If I could speak for RP (which I can't) I would extend an olive branch though, especially if the US has tried to violate it's contract/treaty. He is big on contractual obligations and propery rights.

acstichter
12-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Do you have a link?

Sorry, my mouse found the link... :)
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iVC1KMTOgwiSoMQyT2LwZc9HyAgA

Dave Pedersen
12-20-2007, 04:56 PM
I prefer to look at it as a national source of great pride.. for the Lakota nation. Maybe I'll move to the free nation if they will have me.

Voluntaryist
12-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh great. Now Bush is gonna invade SittingBullCrazyHorseistan.

WAR! WAR! WAR! Fight the terrorists over there so we dont have to fight them here!!!!!

richk
12-20-2007, 05:03 PM
That is tragic. Unfortunately it WILL be overshadowed by the Britney Spears/Paris Hilton news of the day. :mad:

gang
12-20-2007, 05:19 PM
It's not the tribe that seceded.
Means is not their chief.
http://www.indianz.com/News/2004/005762.asp

NewEnd
12-20-2007, 05:28 PM
The new country would issue its own passports and driving licences, and living there would be tax-free -- provided residents renounce their US citizenship, Means said.

hmmm... tempting. I wonder if they would consider bartering in gold and silver.

Ruby Justice
12-20-2007, 06:55 PM
bump

Artsy74
12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
What is tragic about it?

Honestly?

These people have been exploited by the US governent for years, in more ways then you can imagine, and they decide to stand up for themselves, and it's called tragic?

I don't get it.

I say good for them, take your land back, tell the government where to go. It's their LEGAL right to do so.

pacelli
12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
How may national shames after Iraq, Katerina, etc. must the American people endure?

This story (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iVC1KMTOgwiSoMQyT2LwZc9HyAgA) shows how deeply broken America's soul is, and i worry it will go unnoticed.

Ron Paul is the only man that can reverse this trend. I wish someone would get his opinion on this story and make it an election issue to be reckoned with. Can/do Native Americans typically vote? Can we get them on the Freedom Train?

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The Lakota Indians, who gave the world legendary warriors Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, have withdrawn from treaties with the United States, leaders said Wednesday.

"We are no longer citizens of the United States of America and all those who live in the five-state area that encompasses our country are free to join us," long-time Indian rights activist Russell Means told a handful of reporters and a delegation from the Bolivian embassy, gathered in a church in a run-down neighborhood of Washington for a news conference.

Good for the Indians! I think this move should have come much sooner. Our corrupt government engaged in genocide, forced assimilation, stolen land, destruction of precious resources used by the Native civilizations to survive, and broken promises for far too long in their history. This land is Indian land, we are all guests here. They have every right to uphold their independence from the government.

Nash
12-20-2007, 07:08 PM

Russell Means ran against Ron Paul for the Libertarian primary nomination in 1988. I'm pretty sure he's a supporter of Ron.

ThomasJ
12-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Russel Means is not a recognized representative of the Tribe. This does not mean that there is not a following for splitting off... It is like having Tom Hanks go to the China and revoke all of our treaties.

On the other hand I think it would be good for the tribes to do so. I think the tribes would be much better off in the long run.

RockEnds
12-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Russel Means may not be 'recognized' by the tribe, but there's no comparison to Tom Hanks. Russel Means is AIM. They're not actors.

DZE
12-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Siege at wounded knee 1973

thomaspaine23
12-20-2007, 07:28 PM
This may be the start of the unraveling of the USA....

If they make it stick, other tribes may want to go the same way. I know a number of them are pissed as the states muscled in to demand a cut of gaming revenue.
It will be interesting to watch, I hope they can do it.

The whole black hills thing was disgusting.

The Supreme court said that by treaty the black hills were owned by the sioux.
They said it was a valid treaty. The then agreed the US violated the treaty.
However instead of ordering the government to return the land, they ordered the government to pay the sioux (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=448&invol=371).

Just twisted and wrong: "Yep its a valid treaty, yep we violated it, but sorry we're still not going to honor it. Here's some fiat money instead....."

Spike
12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
A National shame?

I think this is a great thing. Why pay taxes to a government that does not represent you?

Good for them.

noztnac
12-20-2007, 07:31 PM
I think it's cool of them to have done that.

Wyurm
12-20-2007, 07:49 PM
They are doing this the right way. Currently non-violent and inviting anyone who lives there (my parents for example) to be a part of their country. Its going to take a while to finalize everything and incite cooperation. My parents said there was a big meeting in Rapid City, they didn't know what it was about at the time, but it was well publicized. Also, the Federal Government was planning on putting in scenic byways on the reservations. Its important to realize that the land reserved for the indians was slowly taken away except for the worst, crappiest, most useless portions. All of course in violation of the treaties.

I expect the Federal government to largely ignore this untill the entire area stops paying taxes.

InRonWeTrust
12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Uh, they don't seem to list any specific complaints.

davidkachel
12-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Sounds to me like a small band of liberty loving Lakota Sioux have mustered up the courage to stand up to an oppressive foreign regime and even the majority of their status quo countrymen...

Sound familiar?

God bless 'em.

pikerz
12-20-2007, 08:00 PM
I dont think its tragic at all.

I hope they even go so far as to create a system of sound money!

Natives have always fought for their sovereignty and have always been denied it! We dont honor our treaties, so why should they suffer for it?

fedup100
12-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Russel Means is not a recognized representative of the Tribe. This does not mean that there is not a following for splitting off... It is like having Tom Hanks go to the China and revoke all of our treaties.

On the other hand I think it would be good for the tribes to do so. I think the tribes would be much better off in the long run.

Read the article again, a delegation from the Lakota tribe went to Washington and personally presented washington with their petition to withdraw.

davidkachel
12-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Uh, they don't seem to list any specific complaints.

Yes they do: http://www.lakotafreedom.com/why.html

davidkachel
12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
I expect the Federal government to largely ignore this untill the entire area stops paying taxes.

Apparently the government has screwed them over so badly that almost no one makes enough money to have to pay taxes anyway.

We think the ruling class treats US like shit! Man these guys have got some genuinely legitimate complaints.

Freedom! It's in the air!!!