http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071220/ap_on_el_pr/tancredo

I thought Tom and Ron were friends?

FrankRep
12-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Why on earth?

adwads
12-20-2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/20/trancredo/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Rep. Tom Tancredo abandoned his long-shot bid for the Republican presidential nomination Thursday and endorsed Mitt Romney's candidacy, saying the Massachusetts Republican "can go the distance."

Rep. Tom Tancredo announces he is ending his presidential campaign Thursday.

Tancredo, a Colorado Republican, is a fierce proponent of stricter illegal immigration laws, but his campaign struggled to gain traction with Republican primary voters, despite many naming illegal immigration as a top concern.

Noting the "incredibly long odds" when he launched his White House bid, Tancredo said his campaign achieved what it meant to do: put illegal immigration on the national agenda.

"I am ecstatic about the fact that we can say we have made remarkable progress along those lines," Tancredo said during a press conference in Des Moines, Iowa. "According to Newsweek, the Tancredo campaign has already won."

After announcing he was dropping out of the race, Tancredo endorsed Romney's presidential bid, saying that Romney supported his stance on illegal immigration and national security and that the former Massachusetts governor could win the presidency.

Don't Miss
ElectionCenter 2008: Candidates
An NBC/Wall Street Journal poll released Wednesday night showed the congressman registered less than 1 percent support nationally, and a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll of likely Iowa caucus-goers released Thursday put Tancredo at only 3 percent.

Of the likely Republican Iowa caucus-goers interviewed for the poll, 20 percent said immigration was the most important issue in deciding who they will support. Only caucus-goers who cited economic issues as their biggest concern was a larger group at 25 percent.

Earlier this week, Rep. Steve King of Iowa, a friend of Tancredo's who shares his tough approach on immigration, announced he was backing former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee instead.

While he has not risen in the polls, Tancredo did affect the GOP by keeping the immigration issue front and center in the GOP debates he participated in.

During the CNN/YouTube debate in November, Tancredo said the candidates were "trying to out-Tancredo Tancredo" by arguing for strengthened border security, stepped-up enforcement on immigration laws and punishment of employers who hire illegal immigrants.

"That is exactly right: The other Republican candidates adopted Tancredo's tough line on illegal immigration," CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider said. "What happens when you out-Tancredo Tancredo? You don't need Tancredo any more.

slantedview
12-20-2007, 04:06 PM
weak.

tancredo better hope romney doesn't bust out his flip flops on immigration, otherwise that is one wasted endorsement.

ctb619
12-20-2007, 04:07 PM
nice find

adwads
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM
f*ck tancredo

ronpaulfollower999
So does this mean Romney goes up in the polls by 1%?

Vetalem
Romney???? How can he not see Romney flip flops on Immigration and everything else?!?

How much were you paid Tom? Thats the question?

Taco John
12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Why would anyone expect for Tancredo to endorse Ron Paul? Did no one see his campaign commercial, or his last act before exiting his campaign?

GML3G
12-20-2007, 04:10 PM
I remember reading that Tancredo would be meeting with some of the other candidates to discuss immigration and that he would endorse the person he thought most likely to carry on his views.

Ron doesn't need the endorsement of Tancredo. Romney on the other hand, has been accused of being weak on immigration. He needs it. I imagine Romney was one of the candidates he met with and that Ron chose to opt out. Besides, it may actually have ended up hurting him.

Daswiz
12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
He was bound to support the strongest candidate on immigration that supports the war in Iraq. You forget Tancredo is the guy who says he wants to bomb Mecca. He is another backer of conflict, with no sense of fiscal ideology. We are better off without his endorsement.

belian78
12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
that, or Tom's eyeing a some kind of position in the admin... :rolleyes:

Joe3113
12-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm betting Tancredo got a little call from Karl Rove.

This is truly the so-called elites V the people......RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW

ladyliberty
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Tancredo sold out to the highest bidder! :(

Ronin
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
He was bound to support the strongest candidate on immigration that supports the war in Iraq. You forget Tancredo is the guy who says he wants to bomb Mecca. He is another backer of conflict, with no sense of fiscal ideology. We are better off without his endorsement.

+1

Stealth4
12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Many, but not all, on this immigration forum, like Tom's choice of Romney. Anyone want to help me research some votes RP made on immigration which people on that forum are questioning?

ht tp://www.alipac.us/ftopict-95083.html

We need to do more work on immigration (research), and better job convincing people that the occupation in Iraq is wrong.

saahmed
12-20-2007, 09:57 PM
He endorsed Romney so Romney would get a few extra votes that could push him past Huckabee in Iowa.

ksuguy
12-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Well there goes my respect for Tancredo. I actually kind of liked the guy, but no more.