PDA

View Full Version : Military for RP: sign the declaration

USAF Vet Dan
12-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Active duty? Retired? Add your name to the list of those who have declared their support for RP. About 2,000 have already done so.

http://www.militaryforpaul.com/declaration.html

DaneKirk
12-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I am not sure it is legal to use our positions in the military to influence the outcome of an election. I really want to but I am not sure it is legal.

USAF Vet Dan
12-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I am not sure it is legal to use our positions in the military to influence the outcome of an election. I really want to but I am not sure it is legal.

I know of no law that prohibits active military from declaring support for a presidential candidate. When I was active duty, I wore campaign pins, signed support declarations, organized grass roots events, etc., etc.

There are many, many (more than 1,000?) active duty military who have already added their names to this declaration.

Todd
12-20-2007, 12:19 PM
signed it several months ago...good post..
bump

Todd
12-20-2007, 12:21 PM

You can support most mainstream political groups you want while not in uniform. It's just not wise to go to an Anti War rally. or KKK or Anarchist meetings. That might be more than stupid.

There are also hundreds that are blogging for Paul from Iraq.

jgmaynard
12-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Folks - Thank you SO much!

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please have a press event announcing this in NH. McCain is our major opponent here for the all-important Independent vote that can make Paul win. McCain just got a lot of press for 100 (IIRC) signed military supporters. If you folks already have 2,000, we can win over a lot of McCain supporters.
I'm not military, but I am very experienced at putting on political events in NH - let me know what I can do to help.

JM

USAF Vet Dan
12-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Folks - Thank you SO much!

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please have a press event announcing this in NH. McCain is our major opponent here for the all-important Independent vote that can make Paul win. McCain just got a lot of press for 100 (IIRC) signed military supporters. If you folks already have 2,000, we can win over a lot of McCain supporters.
I'm not military, but I am very experienced at putting on political events in NH - let me know what I can do to help.

JM

I didn't organize it, I stumbled upon it, signed it, and now am promoting it. The number of 2,000 was a quick guess on my part (looking at the number of signature pages). Simply click on the link... it takes you to the declaration web site. You can make contact with the organizer there.

klamath
12-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Unfortunately there are only like 180 on the list. I just signed it but I thought I signed it before. I Like one of the posts toward the end. He knew RP all his life- he was delivered by RP!

USAF Vet Dan
12-20-2007, 07:00 PM
I must be getting old. My reference to 2,000 signatures is incorrect. I misread the numbered tabs at the bottom as pages, not signatures. There are about 180 names. Still, given a bit of time and exposure, this could exceed 2,000.

I'm usually not so sloppy. Sorry.

PimpBlimp
12-20-2007, 07:01 PM
///

Sey.Naci
12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
blimp

USAF Vet Dan
12-20-2007, 07:33 PM
My unit told me I can't help support a candidate or donate to one. is this true?

While Ron Paul has publicly touted that he has received more donations from active military than any other candidate, the info below claims that such donations are prohibited by the UCMJ. There are certain restrictions to what you can and cannot do and say, but supporting a candidate by signing a Declaration is not one of them. However, you cannot claim to represent the Armed Forces.

From http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/militarylaw1/a/milpolitics.htm

What Active Duty Members Can and Cannot Do
Can - Register, vote, and express a personal opinion on political candidates and issues, but not as a representative of the Armed Forces.

Can - Promote and encourage other military members to exercise their voting franchise, if such promotion does not constitute an attempt to influence or interfere with the outcome of an election.

Cannot - Participate in any organized effort to provide voters with transportation to the polls if the effort is organized by, or associated with, a partisan political party or candidate.

Cannot - Speak before a partisan political gathering, including any gathering that promotes a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

Cannot - Participate in any radio, television, or other program or group discussion as an advocate for or against of a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

Can - Join a political club and attend its meetings when not in uniform.

Cannot - Serve in any official capacity or be listed as a sponsor of a partisan political club.

Cannot - March or ride in a partisan political parade.

Cannot - Sell tickets for, or otherwise actively promote, political dinners and similar fundraising events.

Can - Serve as an election official, if such service is not as a representative of a partisan political party, does not interfere with military duties, is performed when not in uniform, and has the prior approval of the Secretary concerned or the Secretary's designee (example, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Army, Secretary of the Air Force, ect.).

Can - Sign a petition for specific legislative action or a petition to place a candidate's name on an official election ballot, if the signing does not obligate the member to engage in partisan political activity and is done as a private citizen and not as a representative of the Armed Forces.

Cannot - Conduct a political opinion survey under the auspices of a partisan political group or distribute partisan political literature.

Can - Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper expressing the member's personal views on public issues or political candidates, if such action is not part of an organized letter-writing campaign or a solicitation of votes for or against a political party or partisan political cause or candidate.

Cannot - Allow or cause to be published partisan political articles signed or written by the member that solicits votes for or against a partisan political party, candidate, or cause.

Can - Make monetary contributions to a political organization, party, or committee favoring a particular candidate or slate of candidates, subject to the limitations of law.

Cannot -Make monetary contributions directly to a political candidate.

Cannot - Make a contribution to another member of the Armed Forces or a civilian officer or employee of the United States for the purpose of promoting a political objective or cause, including a political campaign.

Cannot - Solicit or receive a contribution from another member of the Armed Forces or a civilian officer or employee of the United States for the purpose of promoting a political objective or cause, including a political campaign.

Cannot - Solicit or otherwise engage in fundraising activities in Federal offices or facilities, including military reservations, for a partisan political cause or candidate.

Can - Display a political sticker on the member's private vehicle.

Cannot - Display a large political sign, banner, or poster (as distinguished from a bumper sticker) on the top or side of a private vehicle.

Can - Attend partisan and nonpartisan political meetings or rallies as a spectator when not in uniform.

Cannot - Attend partisan political events as an official representative of the Armed Forces.

Cannot - Participate in partisan political management, campaigns, or conventions (except as a spectator when not in uniform), or make public speeches in the course thereof.

Cannot - Perform clerical or other duties for a partisan political committee during a campaign or on an election day.

Cannot - Use official authority or influence to: interfere with an election, affect the course or outcome of an election, solicit votes for a particular candidate or issue, or require or solicit political contributions from others.

Cannot - Use contemptuous words against the officeholders described in 10 U.S.C.

888 (10 U.S.C. 888 lists the following officeholders: President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which the military member is on duty).

Follow these rules and you'll be fine.