PDA

View Full Version : I felt I needed to say this........

Artsy74
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
I have only been member for 24 hours now, but I really need to get this out,
might get be banned,
might get me hate mail,
might get me some new friends who feel as I do. In any case it needs to be said...

I have read a lot of posts since yesterday and I can't help but think there are quite a few people who seem to have a lack of trust in their candidate.
Posts are rampant talking about what RP should, and shouldn't do, how he should speak, act, move, etc, etc, etc.

It makes no difference if he stumbles over a word or two, so what. The message is there, bold, bright, strong, and truthful. The very idea that people won't vote for a man because of his looks, or a stumbled word, or someone trying to catch him up, is media garbage....GARBAGE!

Ron Paul has been in politics for 30 years.
Everyday he gets up and deals with the INSIDE of politics, people who we only know by name, issues we only know by name.
This is his life, and we as a whole, only know what we see, or hear on the news, whatever news it may be.
Ron Paul lives this....each and every waking moment.
He reads the bills, word for word, we only get phrases of, he helps to pass, or block items we may never even have heard of.
He hears the talk we have no clue ever happened, the rumors through the halls we can't even imagine, the lunchtime chat we are not privy to.

The campaign knows what they are doing, they know their job, they know what they are up against, they know how to play the role they need to play to get the job done.

They KNOW how politics works...
They KNOW how polls work....
They also KNOW that if a candidate gets to high a ranking too soon, it's a death wish waiting to happen.
They KNOW the real numbers of people supporting him, and keep them confidential, for a reason.

But, according to some of the posts I have seen, RP just spent 30 years in office, not knowing how to do a gosh darn thing the way he needs to, to keep the office, or run for president.
Why are we wasting our time trying to plan how he is going to run HIS part of the campaign?

If I was going to base my vote on how someone spoke, looked, acted, etc,etc,. I wouldn't vote for RP, honestly, but it's about nothing but the message, no matter how it's said, simple as that.

POLLS: for any that need it....polls are garbage...plain and simple.
Any and all mainstream polls are based on a very small number of people who voted in the last election. That's it. Theres no science to it, no real method other then planned phone calls to a MINORITY from a previous voting group.

Online polls, just as much garbage, sorry but it's true, very true....
Online polls are hard to find, and the ones that show RP ahead, show him ahead because we pass them around and spam them, getting everyone and their brother to vote in them.
Of course he would be ahead, how many Romney people found it?
Clinton?
Obama?
C'mon, give the polls a break, they are MEANINGLESS!

Media polls don't pick the president. They say they can, but when it comes down to it, people aren't going to vote for someone because Chris Mathews told them to. Or because they think Mica whatever has cute hair. That's absurd, completely absurd.
The media says that in the faint and desperate hope that they can coerce people into voting they way they were told to do so. I also bet that secretly when they go to vote, it will be for RP.
I would bet anything on that. Watch the body language as they speak to each candidate, it's there, not all of them, but quite a few more then I expected.

But even that makes no difference.

The message will speak for itself, and doesn't need any other help then getting it out there.

Maybe it's just me, but I was hoping for a bit more then critiquing the latest newscast when I joined here. We can't change the news views, or make them put him on.

We can change our neighbors views, and get them to vote for him, but not if were worried about, and spending our time writing to each other about what Fox news said last night.

Shouldn't we be campaigning for Ron Paul instead?
We have only ourselves to blame if he doesn't become president, we are the power behind him.

pacelli
12-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Yes!! Welcome to the Ron Paul forums! Nice refreshing post from someone who hasn't been involved in the political mud slinging we've had on this site lately. By the way, you're in Maryland? The Ron Paul blimp is over your state right now, be sure to keep an eye out.

RonPaulJunkie
12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Well said. You should have see the thread on people wanting to give him a makeover, get a speech coach ect.. (maybe you did).

I think the people who want these things don't mean harm, they just really really want him to win. Having said that, yes some people are very shallow at first glance of Dr. Paul, maybe even at second glance. But I think the majority of people love him no matter what once they really learn all of his issues.

1913_to_2008
12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I agree. However, I do feel the the polls influence the sheople. Not completely but, somewhat.

acmegeek
12-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks! Well said. Welcome!

Stealth4
12-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Like all campaigns, not everyone knows their job and is doing well at it. Some people should be shuffled around/replaced for the good of the campaign, but of course ego gets in the way of that.

dfalken
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
might get be banned,
might get me hate mail,
might get me some new friends who feel as I do. In any case it needs to be said...

I have read a lot of posts since yesterday and I can't help but think there are quite a few people who seem to have a lack of trust in their candidate.
Posts are rampant talking about what RP should, and shouldn't do, how he should speak, act, move, etc, etc, etc.

It makes no difference if he stumbles over a word or two, so what. The message is there, bold, bright, strong, and truthful. The very idea that people won't vote for a man because of his looks, or a stumbled word, or someone trying to catch him up, is media garbage....GARBAGE!

Everyday he gets up and deals with the INSIDE of politics, people who we only know by name, issues we only know by name.
This is his life, and we as a whole, only know what we see, or hear on the news, whatever news it may be.
He reads the bills, word for word, we only get phrases of, he helps to pass, or block items we may never even have heard of.
He hears the talk we have no clue ever happened, the rumors through the halls we can't even imagine, the lunchtime chat we are not privy to.

The campaign knows what they are doing, they know their job, they know what they are up against, they know how to play the role they need to play to get the job done.

They also KNOW that if a candidate gets to high a ranking too soon, it's a death wish waiting to happen.
They KNOW the real numbers of people supporting him, and keep them confidential, for a reason.

But, according to some of the posts I have seen, RP just spent 30 years in office, not knowing how to do a gosh darn thing the way he needs to, to keep the office, or run for president.
Why are we wasting our time trying to plan how he is going to run HIS part of the campaign?

If I was going to base my vote on how someone spoke, looked, acted, etc,etc,. I wouldn't vote for RP, honestly, but it's about nothing but the message, no matter how it's said, simple as that.

Any and all mainstream polls are based on a very small number of people who voted in the last election. That's it. Theres no science to it, no real method other then planned phone calls to a MINORITY from a previous voting group.

Online polls are hard to find, and the ones that show RP ahead, show him ahead because we pass them around and spam them, getting everyone and their brother to vote in them.
Clinton?
Obama?

Media polls don't pick the president. They say they can, but when it comes down to it, people aren't going to vote for someone because Chris Mathews told them to. Or because they think Mica whatever has cute hair. That's absurd, completely absurd.
The media says that in the faint and desperate hope that they can coerce people into voting they way they were told to do so. I also bet that secretly when they go to vote, it will be for RP.
I would bet anything on that. Watch the body language as they speak to each candidate, it's there, not all of them, but quite a few more then I expected.

The message will speak for itself, and doesn't need any other help then getting it out there.

Maybe it's just me, but I was hoping for a bit more then critiquing the latest newscast when I joined here. We can't change the news views, or make them put him on.

We can change our neighbors views, and get them to vote for him, but not if were worried about, and spending our time writing to each other about what Fox news said last night.

We have only ourselves to blame if he doesn't become president, we are the power behind him.

Great post and I like your confession at the end. Maybe we should all keep tab of how many "victories" (people we made see the light) we think we have. For my part it's hard to gauge because I have mostly done it on economic forums that I participate in but we talk more about Ron Paul now than we do about the markets which is what we used to talk about. I've also converted friends and family around me and I keep preaching every single day. We are the troops....f$ck the media.

Anti Federalist
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
I'd say yes to all the above except for one thing.

The "official" campaign has been caught flat footed on a number of occasions, leaving those of us in the trenches saying "WTF??!!".

I don't really blame them however. I'm sure they and Ron both never had any idea that this thing would take off like it did, so they are left playing "catch - up" as the grassroots roars ahead with blimps and rallies and eye popping fundraising, just to name a few.

BlCkDeAtH
12-20-2007, 11:24 AM
All the points you made are true but don't forget, if we were complacent with what the campaign was doing we wouldn't get things like making our own commercials, buying billboards, taking out ads in USA Today, organizing money bombs, getting blimps, etc.

Its just the nature of Ron Paul supporters, and freedom in general, you know? We can do things much better than the campaign I guess.

Welcome to the forums by the way! :)

bucfish
12-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Great Post and refreshing to see someone take the initiative to get that out there!

Thank you, Artsy74

coboman
12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
We are just a little sad about the lack of coverage for the teaparty, and the fact that we "only" raised a paltry 6 million.

Many here were expecting 10+ millions, and MSM coverage in par with the "frontrunners".

Give us a couple of days, we will get over it.

terryp
12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
This is an ever evolving site that is truly a melting pot. Kind of like a parade
that never stops but starts off in many different directions all headed for the same place.
Sometimes passing in opposite directions to pick up stranded patriots.

lucius
12-20-2007, 11:27 AM
Welcome!

NoxTwilight
12-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Awesome post, I could not agree more. Welcome!!!!

Don't let it get to you - don't even read those types of threads! Freedom is hard, we must accept others rights to think differently and accept that they will not agree with our views. I think that gets forgotten around here a tad too much for a Freedom Campaign!

Question_Authority
12-20-2007, 11:45 AM
So, you would prefer that we disregard any blatant mistakes by the campaign? You prefer we keep our criticisms to ourselves? You prefer we never question the wisdom of the campaign and never give our input to the almighty campaign which always knows exactly what they are doing?

Wow. That sounds like everything the Bush adminstration and their sheep followers have been saying for years. SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP! WE KNOW BEST!!

Sorry, many Ron Paul supporters are independent minded enough to not follow him and his campaign blindly.

The campaign is STILL making mistakes. I see it here all the time in NH. If we win, it will be in spite of the "campaign" not because of it.

hasan
12-20-2007, 11:47 AM
might get be banned,
might get me hate mail,

Clinton?
Obama?

Artsy and everyone else who says that online polls and spamming polls is not a good thing let me narrate to you how I got interested in RP. One day I was flipping through the channels with nothing to do and happened to stumble across fox news i think. i saw that a republican debate was going on and was truly disappointed that it was not a democratic one. nonetheless i resolved to watch it. from the few minutes that RP was given I was astounded and pleasantly surprised. I knew that this is the man america needs. I also wanted to know how his support was and i expected no less than the majority of people would vote for him. Lo and behold the poll on fox news indeed supported my theory. That poll, whether a true indicator of support or not, gave me hope that this person may win the election and spurred me onto support him through my own means. Now the polls might seem meaningless to a seasoned RP supporter but I remember the days when I had no clue who Ron Paul was and the only thing that tickled my curiosity was why does this man called Ron Paul, such a generic name very much in the tune of John Smith, have so much support on the polls and on youtube. that is what led me to investigate him and i am sure a lot of people if not the majority find out about him in the same way. Because of this I urge you all to continue showing your support by spamming the polls and promoting Ron Paul online. But be sure to promote RP outside the online community as well.

agape64
Its not about trust or confidence. I don't agree with all of Ron Paul's philosophies or his politcal tactics. Thus, to make this campaign powerful, we should seek to open up dialogue, which Ron Paul has encouraged us to do. He can't handle this burden alone. We all must work hard to spread good ideas and research things thoroughly!

Question_Authority
BTW, the campaign are still the same staffers that got him elected to the 14th district of Texas. A national presidential campaign is a whole different animal. And they are blowing it in NH at least. They know nothing about NH voters and refuse to listen to our input.

Remember, dissent is patriotic! I am a campaign dissenter at this point. Completely disgusted with them.

Artsy74
12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I'd say yes to all the above except for one thing.

The "official" campaign has been caught flat footed on a number of occasions, leaving those of us in the trenches saying "WTF??!!".

But that's ok!
If his people seem a little lacking on certain things sometimes, the we pick we pick up the slack..

Maybe just maybe, even if they don't consciously realize it, they are teaching us, one at a time, to take OUR power back, into our hands where it belongs.

So I say, if we have to work a little harder to get him into office, so be it.

As far as my convert numbers heres how I did it. It's a bit sneaky, but not against the rules in a fight like this.

I joined forums for all candidates I could find.
I watch posts, listen to the way people speak, and find the weakest supporters. The ones who aren't quite sure if they really want the person their looking at.

I pm them, and become there friend. Then carefully mention that I have been randomly checking out other people, mention one or 2 candidates that are completely against what I have learned they are for, and then finally mention RP. It can take a week, maybe two, but it's solid and has led to the converts I have.

And that doesn't include the when they go on to convert, family friends, etc.

It must be done in a friendly way, always encouraging never trying to impose. I have only had 1 so far, back away, and refuse to even look at RP as a choice.

It's a good method when your sick, or the weather is really bad, or your bored at work. (But don't get yourself into trouble with your boss)

If it's alright with the mods here, I am thinking of starting a MD thread so I can get some serious numbers of MD people together to work some RP magic. The meetup I'm in is somewhat lacking as far as actually committing to events planned.

Mark
12-20-2007, 12:02 PM
might get be banned,
might get me hate mail,

Clinton?
Obama?

Welcome to the Ron Paul grassroots!

You'll get used to it and learn to be more discerning as to what to get involved in and not. :D

A lot of what you said is how things get worked out. Pick your battles wisely, remember that the one immediate goal is to see:

"Ron Paul" POTUS and work in the most efficient manner to accomplish that goal

RPinSEAZ
12-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Welcome. Everybody is an armchair quarterback and think they know what's best.

Artsy74
12-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Artsy and everyone else who says that online polls and spamming polls is not a good thing

Meaningless is what I said, and they are meaningless.
I do spam polls, but completely for fun, and do not count them as valid ways of numbering supporters.

So, you would prefer that we disregard any blatant mistakes by the campaign? You prefer we keep our criticisms to ourselves? You prefer we never question the wisdom of the campaign and never give our input to the almighty campaign which always knows exactly what they are doing?

Wow. That sounds like everything the Bush adminstration and their sheep followers have been saying for years. SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP! WE KNOW BEST!!

Sorry, many Ron Paul supporters are independent minded enough to not follow him and his campaign blindly.

The campaign is STILL making mistakes. I see it here all the time in NH. If we win, it will be in spite of the "campaign" not because of it.

Haven't you noticed yet? WE ARE the campaign and WE DO KNOW BEST, as it should be. Ron Paul is just our voice from one mouth.

The mistakes they make are from learning to do this, as someone said they are new to running this kind of race.

Blindly follow...Absolutely not!

Help lead with love, understanding, and the knowledge that he gave us a voice, that most of us only spoke in corners with trusted friends...Heck yeah!

yongrel
12-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Good post. Welcome to the forum.

Bradley in DC
12-20-2007, 12:17 PM
We were all new here once, innocent and brimming with benefit of the doubt to the official campaign staffers. ;)

DealzOnWheelz
12-20-2007, 12:23 PM
QFT!!!!
+$18million

klamath
12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
welcome. Good post

scubasteve01
12-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Agreed, well said, welcome to the forums, we need more like you!

Mike S.
12-20-2007, 12:33 PM
171 converted to RP?

You have EARNED your opinions and are a true patriot!

klamath
12-20-2007, 12:34 PM
We were all new here once, innocent and brimming with benefit of the doubt to the official campaign staffers. ;)

Yes the HQ has made mistakes but so has the grassroots. It is my opinion that the grassroots has made some mistakes that are far worse than HQ. Why is it that the media has not really been able to attack RP but they sure can hammer him on what the grassroots did.
We have done some fantastic things without a doubt and HQ has done some really stupid things and they need to be called on them by us, but people saying if we lose it is only because of HQ are flat out fools.

OferNave
12-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Personal record to date: 171 Huckabee, Romney, Clinton supporters converted to the Ron Paul Revolution.

You had me at 171.

ronpaulitician
12-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree. However, I do feel the the polls influence the sheople. Not completely but, somewhat.
More than somewhat.

Just yesterday, I heard Jim Gilcrest say the reason for his support for Huckabee, as opposed to supporting Hunter or Tancredo, was that he would only support someone who was polling "in the top three".

It's up to us to not let the polls get us down, and to keep fighting for freedom at the grassroots level as embassadors of liberty. And then, when it is time, it is up to us to show up at the voting booths.

InTheoryTV
12-20-2007, 01:09 PM
I just read the first post in this thread.

Ron Paul Forums has been the birth place for many great ideas. It is a good place to go to check out what the latest news is and what is upcoming. I do think that all the ideas being thrown around can get over whelming.

I myself don't spend too much time here and spend my focused on local campaigning through my meetup group. Organizing sign wavings, phone callings, and working with the local GOP. I don't have time for all that goes on in here.

Ron Paul Forums is not the grass roots. It is part of the Grass Roots movement. The members here that spend a lot of time in here are helping flesh out the good ideas and it is important. However, not everyone in the grass roots movement should be in the forums all the time. Many need to be out in their local communities. We each play our part.

Find the information you need and get to spreading the freedom message.

Go Ron Paul!

realist
12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Great post and I welcome your saying it. I agree with a lot of what you said, but not all of it. Same goes for Dr. Pual.

Dr. Paul would support the right to dissent, if not the dissent itself. The great thing about these forums (IMHO), is that it exposes us to so many different views. If we agreed 100% of the time- there would be no learning or growth. I have learned more from the conflicts (by chosing to further research some things) than by all the RAH- RAH - we're going to win cheerleading (which is nice too). Perhaps it's just my mentality- Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. Others believe all you need is love and positive thoughts to make things happen. We can disagree, still respect each other and still want many of the same things in the end. Thats the beauty of diversity and liberty.

I recognize Dr. Pauls accomplisments, and his judgement selecting his staff. But that doesn't mean their perfect or that every supporter needs to act as if they are beyond reproach. That's not what Dr. Paul espouses at all - his message is the exact opposite and I agree with it. Just like competition in a free market spawns innovation, growth and efficeincy, I beleive the same is true of our online community. We can have different views and with respect, be better for it.

There is a small minority in this country that is politically engaged and passionate. The VAST majority would prefer to watch American Idol over a Presidential debate. Of that small minority that are engaged, an even smaller amount is "swayable". So that leaves an extremely small minority of the engaged and a very large majority of the disengaged as our potential convert pool.

So, most of the potential converts, don't think like me, and are likely to be influenced by polls and media EVEN if they believe they are unreliable. Why? Because that's all they have time for or care to know. I could be wrong but that's what I beleive. This is supported in my experience because some of the hardest conversions I face are those that like Ron Paul, but strongly beleive he doesn't have a chance to win, and they don't want to waste a vote . That view comes from one place only-so it is a factor and thinking otherwise is foley.

I find the different views and squabbles here helpful towards understanding how other people think and that helps me address things from a different perspective. So I'm sorry to say that while I respect your views, I hope folks will still post their agreements as well as their disagreements.

icon124
12-20-2007, 02:58 PM
there are trolls that run around here and make it their job to seem like RP is evil so dont pay attention to that

torchbearer
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Sooo true.... what helps me sleep at night is knowing that we are the real campaign... and that we can make this happen despite the ineptness of a campaign that is constantly going through growing pains.

We have a treasure trove of brilliant minds in the grassroots... more brain power than the official campaign.
We need to learn to trust each other... for it is required for a free society.

Great Post for the OP. Thanks for signing up on the forum!

torchbearer
12-20-2007, 03:07 PM
there are trolls that run around here and make it their job to seem like RP is evil so dont pay attention to that

+1. Trolls are upset we have a blimp because it makes their bridges obsolete.

Gaius1981
12-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Thank you Artsy! I'd like to add something else that has been bothering me lately.

When speaking about the Iraq war, Ron Paul says that we cannot enforce our goodness on others, and that it would be better to instead lead by example. I think that this is something that younger Ron Paul supporters should keep in mind when they trying to promote Ron Paul at other message boards. It seems to me like they in most cases are trying to aggressively recruit more voters by pushing the politics of Ron Paul upon them, when Ron Paul would be better served if they instead acted more professionally and debated his views in a more polite manner.

torchbearer
12-20-2007, 03:19 PM
bump

steve005
12-20-2007, 03:20 PM
bump

webber53
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
might get be banned,
might get me hate mail,

Clinton?
Obama?

I second your motion! Aye!;)

aravoth
12-20-2007, 03:26 PM
might get be banned,
might get me hate mail,

Clinton?
Obama?

Outstanding!

FreeTraveler
12-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the boards. It's great to see someone new come in and speak "truth to power", even when we know we're part of the power. We all need a reminder from time to time of what's important... President Ron Paul. All else is secondary.

VicVixvi
12-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Welcome! You bring up some very good points. Just remember that a lot of what draws people to Ron Paul is his "question authority" attitude. When you have masses of "question authority" people gathered ... some of them are sure to do just that.

And _sometimes_ that is not all bad. Look at the Ohio thread in the delegates. No one questioned authority (or when we did, no one listened) and now there is a real danger that RP may not make the Ohio Ballot.

-V-

Arkris
12-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Great, inspirational post.

It's kind of easy to forget that there are more productive things than posting about the media and campaign.

Bump