PDA

View Full Version : Why the Revolution hasn't caught on

mbauer
12-20-2007, 10:13 AM
First a little background on myself- I'm very regular blogger, but do more reading than writing. I keep up with, well, internet political reactions here, on news sites, conservative blogs, libertarian blogs, and a few others.

I've been on page with Ron Paul since I came across him in readings when I turned 18 (4 years ago) and decided that if I can vote, I'd better do my research and decide where I stand. My conclusions was that my philosophies were- in order- a lover of the U.S. Constitution and avid believer in it- a conservative- a libertarian (I suppose you can see why I like the guy).

I'm my readings and writing, I thoroughly enjoy discourse on various political philosophies, and when it comes to elections, the individuals behind them.

In my reading over the past 4 years, I've become accustom to discussion on candidates taking a- well for lack of a better word- a certain professionalism to it. It is only in this manner that I ever see people converted to another candidates’ view, and that takes a long series of proper introductions to another way of thinking.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this

Let's start by looking at the much hated redstate- I still blog their because I like to be informed, no matter what slant I'm getting as long as I know the slant. The simple fact of the matter is that when I research material there, I will get a well backed argument, admitting potential flaws, well sited, and open to constructive discussion, as long as it is in line with the conservative movement as the site sees it (and I realize this last clause is the huge flaw of the site).

In my research on Ron Paul, I find that a very small minority of his backers take the time to ensure that what they write is indeed quality before they write it. I often feel like I'm back in my Starcraft days holding the level of discussion I would when I was 14.
We often state as fact that "Poll are LIEs"
"The Main Stream Media Doesn't want us to win"
"Paul is the ONLY true conservative"
and so forth.
We blast those who say otherwise, and rarely have quality arguments to back them up. We assume 2 sentences of explanation are enough to assure others our statements are infallible. We are quickly irritated by those who attack us.

The bottom line is, the above methods, which I think I have fairly stereotyped, and in your hear of hearts you will agree with, are what the vast majority of bloggers who stumble upon a Ron Paul posting will quickly hear.
Furthermore, this does not convert anyone.

So I ask you, before you press post reply, or decide to write something, take a second to think want someone who was middle grounds, or thinks they don't like Ron Paul will think of your 2-3 line response to an issue.

If you are going to response to someone, please take the time to address specifically that individuals thoughts uncritically, and attempt for discourse rather than an assumption that they are part of the problem if they don't immediately see our way of thinking.

Thank you for reading that, and I feel like I must remind everyone that I passionately support Ron Paul will continue doing whatever I can to help him soon be called President Paul.

PatriotG
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
So Do We.

Pay us a visit sometime

RTR (http://www.restoretherepublic.org/)

PatriotG

AlexMerced
12-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I third that http://causeoffreedom.blogspot.com

Kregener
12-20-2007, 11:00 AM
$4.3 MILLION raised in ONE DAY.

$6 MILLION raised in ONE DAY.

$18.5 MILLION raised SO FAR...

Yeah, the Revolution is just not "catching on"....

mbauer
12-20-2007, 11:04 AM
My fellow patriot,
Despite the potential inaccuracies, I'd rather have 20% in polls than money. I'd rather have people on my side than money on my side.

Cardinal Red
12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Courteous behavior and good writing will always win us more friends than flames and threats. . .

Kregener
12-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Well, considering that the Power Elite have been buying the presidency for the last couple of decades, I would say money is a HUGE asset if any person is to have any chance.

*WHOOSH!*

Is the sound of the meaning of my post going right over your head.

It is NOT about the money, but about the number of people who believe in Ron Paul and his message of peace, liberty, freedom and the rule of constitutional law.

klamath
12-20-2007, 11:15 AM
I agree with most of this. That being said it doesn't mean there aren't complete jerks in the anti RP crowd.

I think our worst problem is a self rightious atitude that we are so right and they are so evil that any tactive is allowable. This will never win converts.

Original_Intent
12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
I would have to agree with the OP. People want to post without doing any research, I mean that is the law of the internet, and it is fine for reinforcing your belief among those already in your camp, but doesn't really change minds.

Luckily, we do have a lot of people who can back up what they say. But I agree, a lot of the conversations are what you would expect in an MMO, it is not reasoned discourse it is just a pissing contest of who can out-zing the opposition.

It isn't just us though,a lot of the opposition is as bad or worse (Wonkette leaps immediately to mind).

DrRich
12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
My fellow patriot,
Despite the potential inaccuracies, I'd rather have 20% in polls than money. I'd rather have people on my side than money on my side.

what is your plan of getting 20 percent in polls without money?

pcosmar
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
My fellow patriot,

But how can you place well in polls when your name is NOT even an option?
How accurate are the polls when they target only a select audience?

benhaskins
12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
ive seen neo-con's say some pretty disturbing things on the internet.

mbauer
12-20-2007, 02:07 PM
"How do you place well in polls without money?"
Ask Mike Huckabee

I do agree that the anti RP crowd can be equally as harsh.

Kregener, I have no idea why you deem it necessary to attack my intelligence. This is the type of behavior that does hurt us.

joelfarm
12-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Tonight's threads are a good example. I cringe when I see new threads posted such as;Who is Ann Coulter supporting?; How Many Ron Paul Supporters Does It Take?; Where the F@#K is Jon Stewart?!?!; I'm An Atheist, Pro-Choice Republican;
and on and on. An investigator checking Ron Paul out would think this is Entertainment Tonight's site by some of the insepid posts.
Please do not get me wrong, levity adds to the spice of life, but some in depth discussion of Ron Paul supporter's ideas and thoughts about what is going on in the campaign would be great. Yes there needs to be a balancing act, so that we are not thought to be dry and dull. But you raise such an important point in that so many replies are simple "bump", " get a life" "your a troll" etc. Please, say that if you wish, but EXPAND upon the statement. Why are you agreeing, Why do you think I'm wrong or Why do you think I'm an outsider attempting to wreck your site.
Original_Intent has a good point that 'nu-uh' or '#@^~!! you' is not going to advance our cause. THINK and RESPOND with a valid rebuttal of your own opinion and we will ALL win. As you can tell from my dribble, I am not the brightest bulb here, but I do want to learn and understand from others and definitley can withstand constuctive criticism. And above all, let's remember why we are at this site, to promote and advance the campaign of our statesman, Ron Paul.

susano
12-20-2007, 07:27 PM
My fellow patriot,

I appreciate your points but take issue with this statement. The likes of the usual suspects are getting corporate donations and PAC money. In the case of Ron Paul, every donation equals a vote. Our money represents real human beings who are committed. The others cannot say that.

enjerth
12-20-2007, 07:27 PM
what is your plan of getting 20 percent in polls without money?

Change your name to Huckabee.

Catatonic
12-20-2007, 08:02 PM
I've seem some pretty immature low-brow stuff come from RedState.

Ron Paul's doing great in all the polls that aren't skewed against him. Including straw polls.

Great straw poll numbers, and great funding, but still not catching on? Name recognition is admittedly low, but if only 3% of the general population votes and Ron Paul is polling at 4%, and 100% of them votes, Ron Paul wins.

There's something to be said for a self-motivated following. This campaign is breaking all preconceptions.

Catatonic
12-20-2007, 08:05 PM
But how can you place well in polls when your name is NOT even an option?
How accurate are the polls when they target only a select audience?

Of Ron Paul's supporters, how many:

1)Voted Republican last election

2)Also have land lines

The answer is....not a lot. On top of that you have polls that put you on a do not call list if you try to choose ron paul. Maybe this has something to do with low polling numbers?

And then, if someone does manage to actually select Ron Paul, he's given a penalty, all part of keeping the poll 'accurate'.

torchbearer
12-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, considering that the Power Elite have been buying the presidency for the last couple of decades, I would say money is a HUGE asset if any person is to have any chance.

*WHOOSH!*

Is the sound of the meaning of my post going right over your head.

It is NOT about the money, but about the number of people who believe in Ron Paul and his message of peace, liberty, freedom and the rule of constitutional law.

You read the "Power Elite" by C. Wright Mills? He's a famous sociologist who did a scientific study of our power structure in the U.S. Another must read for our revolutionaries.
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Book_Excerpts/PowerElite.html