PDA

View Full Version : MLK Family Sues Ron Paul? Possible ...

rs3515
12-20-2007, 04:02 AM
I think we need to be very careful about using MLK Day as a focus. It is one thing to tie a fundraiser to an event in history or a movie, and quite another to tie it to an individual. Are you aware several people have been sued for using Dr. King's likeness in recent years? Effectively you are saying he endorses what we are doing, and remember, Dr. King's family is still alive. Some links for you to consider:

King Family Sues CBS: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_26_95/ai_54851976
Putting a Price Tag on the Legacy of MLK: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A01EEDC163DF93BA15752C1A9679C8B 63

From the NY Times article: "The family has been relentless in its attempts to corner the market on Dr. King's words."

Even if we are in the "right" that his words are public domain and would prevail, does it really make sense to have Dr. Paul or any of us as supporters get bogged down in a lawsuit right around the time of Super Tuesday?

Be ready for what may come of this.

Time for Change
12-20-2007, 04:05 AM
What a joke.
The man is probably spinning in his grave, with his family acting like fools.

rs3515
12-20-2007, 04:08 AM
What a joke.
The man is probably spinning in his grave, with his family acting like fools.

I agree, but it's reality. Even says in the NY Times article that the family tried to use his likeness on a Disney-style theme park! Crazy.

NewEnd
12-20-2007, 04:09 AM
FUD

:rolleyes:

rs3515
12-20-2007, 04:12 AM
FUD

:rolleyes:

LOL fair enough, but they have been zealous about it and I think people need to know the full picture. I'm not saying "NO! don't do this!" I'm saying, "be ready for what might come of it".

Throw in that this year is the 40th anniversary of his assassination, and even more reason for them to say we're capitalizing on him.

kushaze
12-20-2007, 04:14 AM
They won't be able to sue Ron Paul. Ron Paul has nothing to do with the MLK fundraiser. The event was organized by grassroots outside of the campaign.

Taco John
12-20-2007, 04:16 AM
We could use that kind of publicity... It would probably be the best publicity we've gotten all year.

rs3515
12-20-2007, 04:19 AM
They won't be able to sue Ron Paul. Ron Paul has nothing to do with the MLK fundraiser. The event was organized by grassroots outside of the campaign.

Ah that's where you're missing the point ... it's plenty easy for a lawyer to sue Dr. Paul because he was the beneficiary of the wrongful activity.

The family would be expecting to receive part of the funds as compensation, plus bring all the donors in on the lawsuit as the ones who conducted the wrongful act.

Relatively straightforward for an attorney.

rs3515
12-20-2007, 04:20 AM
We could use that kind of publicity... It would probably be the best publicity we've gotten all year.

LOL that's an interesting spin on it.

RPFTW!
12-20-2007, 04:20 AM
I never liked MLK anyway, Booker T Washington ftw!