PDA

View Full Version : The case for tact: The CU Story

john_anderson_ii
12-20-2007, 12:02 AM
This message is to the people who invaded CU today, not the people that were joined and were civil, and not the people that didn't join. Just the people that joined and made an ass of themselves.

I took part in something today, something that could have gone very well. However, it ended up being an embarrassment for Ron Paul's grassroots! I'm not very happy about it, not happy at all. For those who do not know, some supporters from this forum, myself included, popped into conservative underground's forum. I was there to reach out, shake some hands, and ask a few questions of the economists who post there. Others from this forum had their own agendas. That would have been fine if their agendas were responsible, or the least bit sane.

It all started in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=59796

I made an account, logged in, introduced myself as an RP supporter, and then asked a few questions very politely. My support of Ron Paul was not attacked, nor reprimanded, nor even joked about! It might surprise you, but the gentleman I directed my questions to just welcomed me, and answered them politely. You know, how a normal conversation is suppose to take place?

Well, then out of nowhere comes several overly enthusiastic Ron Paul supporters who set up a nice little soap box, and began preaching about everything these "neocons" think is right is really wrong, and how their choice for candidate sucks. Using foul language and personal attacks in the process.

Ron will get no support from the forum, and it's sad. A lot of those people actually saw Ron as a fellow republican, maybe not their particular choice, but a fellow republican none the less. Most of them over at CU saw Ron as a pretty good congressman, and they want to see more Ron's in congress. Or at least they did before today. Now, since we've basically invaded their board, insulted their user base, and offended several prominent members of that board they don't want to see or hear from anyone else who brings them Ron Paul's message.

This is not how you win friends, and this is not how you win elections. This is how you get Ron Paul called an asshole. Even though he is not, your actions reflect on him. If we want to win this primary, we aren't going to do it without the republican base on board, and if this is what is going to happen when a group of Ron Paul supporters reach out the republic base, it will end badly for us.

Speaking to those who did this, you know who you are: I'm not your daddy or nanny, and I'm not going to tell you what to do. However, I will advise you to use some tact, patience, and understanding next time you talk to hardcore republicans . Just because you think Ron's ideas are better does not mean they do to, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that they deserve to be insulted for not immediately agreeing with you.

This is the first thing I have done with Ron Paul supporters that I've been embarrassed about.