PDA

View Full Version : Vigil for Gandhi- good or bad idea?

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 12:01 AM
i posted another thread about this, but I thought i'd put a poll up to see just where everyone really stands on this because I really think it has potential to be huge.

as most all of you know, Gandhi is an international hero, so we can mobilize this demonstration to the international level. Our support overseas is growing and I think we can count on people across the globe to Demonstrate for Peace in the name of Remembering Gandhi. What's more- he is the original pioneer for what we are carrying out. Gandhi was the first to advocate non-violent resistance and civil disobedience. He was the first true "Peaceful Warrior" and we are the "Love" Revolution.

Yes, Gandhi might have not agreed with all of the views that we might have, and he might have not agreed with all the views that Dr. Paul has, but it is clear that he is a symbol for the struggle of the disenfranchised against the imperialistic corrupt- a struggle that I think most all of us here can identify with.
As the world seems to grow more and more rife with anti-American hostility and condemnation for what is seen as American Imperialism (the war in Iraq, etc) many in the world forget that WE The AMERICAN PEOPLE have become nearly as powerless and helpless as they are when it comes to trying to stop the madness perpetrated by our government.

well I say that we take a stand and remind the world of what it lost when Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was assassinated on January 30th, 1948. I say we stand up and show the Neo-Con warmongers sitting in the White House and the Neo-Con warmongers currently seeking the White House that although Gandhi has come and gone, we will continue to carry his message beyond his death and into the 2008 Elections and end the War in Iraq and end the use of Preemptive War as foreign policy.

I say we have a Candlelight Vigil for Gandhi on January 30th. Nothing elaborate or lavish- No Ron Paul signs or banners, no crazy money bomb- just a candlelight march through the night to remember Gandhi and show to the establishment that his message still matters.

Drknows
12-20-2007, 12:05 AM
I think Ron Pauls message speaks for itself. it doesn't need to be tied to other great leaders of freedom.

Its like every other republican candidate claims to be Ronald Reagan but Ron Paul is the only one that even comes close.

But if its just for Gandhi go for it!

idiom
12-20-2007, 12:07 AM
You could co-ordinate with Move-on.org and make it huge.

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 12:26 AM

that's the right kind of thinking. I think we should march with REVOLUTION T-shirts and candles. No signs, no banners, nothing else.

My point in doing this is that it would emphasize that this movement of ours is dedicated to something beyond "Ron Paul rEVOLution". If you look at whats been happening worldwide, with the Strasbourg Tea Party and the Oslo RP supporters, I think that this REVOLUTION has transcended the candidacy and Ron Paul has merely become a symbol for this movement.

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 12:40 AM
I think Ron Pauls message speaks for itself. it doesn't need to be tied to other great leaders of freedom.

it's not so much the message I want to emphasize because I know and You know that Dr. Paul and Gandhi don't agree on everything- it's the medium.

Non-violent protest. Peaceful Resistance. Civil Disobedience. These are all tactics that Gandhi basically invented and Dr. Paul (and Dr. King before him) now champions.

show the government that we want peace!

noztnac
12-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Great idea.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."-Gandhi

Grandson of Liberty
12-20-2007, 01:42 AM

I advise against this- not the best way to win over Republican voters.

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 01:44 AM
I advise against this- not the best way to win over Republican voters.

I don't think its about votes. Besides, the people that turnout for MoveOn.org would be wearing MoveOn.Org shirts and we'd have our REVOLUTION shirts.

I don't think that Republicans would hold the fact that MoveOn.org also loves and respects Gandhi against us... Gandhi is a uniting figure, not a dividing one

realitywiz
12-20-2007, 02:00 AM
I think this is a great idea. Gandhi has much greater name recognition on an international level and this would really show America and the world that the Ron Paul movement is so much bigger than just a presidential election.

As for co-ordinating with Moveon.org, I am undecided on that one. But I think we may be able to win over more liberals!

The elites have kept us divided with "Left vs. Right" and "Liberal vs. Conservative" and all that. This would show that we've moved beyond that sham.

____

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 02:02 AM
I think this is a great idea. Gandhi has much greater name recognition on an international level and this would really show America and the world that the Ron Paul movement is so much bigger than just a presidential election.

As for co-ordinating with Moveon.org, I am undecided on that one. But I think we may be able to win over more liberals!

The elites have kept us divided with "Left vs. Right" and "Liberal vs. Conservative" and all that. This would show that we've moved beyond that sham.

____

exactly! I say we host it as an open event and let people from all sides of the spectrum show up and represent their cause on their white T-Shirts. All the Ron Paul people MUST wear the REVOLUTION, however

NewEnd
12-20-2007, 02:04 AM
Edited...

interesting idea.

hawkeyenick
12-20-2007, 02:06 AM
It is pretentious.

Until Paul starts getting caned by factory gaurds, and 1000's of paul supporters killed by national police, I dont think Paul is on the same level as Gandhi.

None of the moveon people had that happen to them

NewEnd
12-20-2007, 02:11 AM
None of the moveon people had that happen to them

Were they endorsing a candidate?

Ahh... now I see, there should be no endorsement of Paul.... I suppose I should have read the whole thing first. Hmmmmm......

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 02:12 AM
It is pretentious.

Until Paul starts getting caned by factory gaurds, and 1000's of paul supporters killed by national police, I dont think Paul is on the same level as Gandhi.

yeah, Paul's not.

and isn't that the point of honoring someone? Acknowledging that they are greater than you?

Grandson of Liberty
12-20-2007, 02:17 AM
I guess it's an okay idea if it's not a Ron Paul associated event- whatever floats your boat and all, but should it really be in Ron Paul's grassroots forum? We're kinda busy trying to get the man elected here. :cool:

Edited to add: the Kucinich for VP thing is a bit off-putting as well. There, I said it. I feel better now. :)

The Plan
12-20-2007, 02:22 AM
I say we do it outside of the Paul campaign and use the manpower we have to work with people like Move On with the ron paul people involved this could make a huge statement and set in stone the true message that we are all about. It's the right time in American history to make this sort of statement. We need to shake the tree even more and make people think. We shouldn't stop with move on, we should team up with every kind of group that would support this message.

I am behind this 100%

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 02:23 AM
I guess it's an okay idea if it's not a Ron Paul associated event- whatever floats your boat and all, but should it really be in Ron Paul's grassroots forum? We're kinda busy trying to get the man elected here. :cool:

the idea of the event is not to associate ron paul with Gandhi- Ron Paul does that himself when he says things like he believes in Civil Disobedience and Peaceful Resistance- but to show that WE the Ron Paul supporters want to associate ourselves with Gandhi because his message of peace and freedom is in line with that of our own.

Antonius Stone
12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
bump

gb13
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Edited to add: the Kucinich for VP thing is a bit off-putting as well. There, I said it. I feel better now. :)

Thank you.

The point of this forum is to get Ron Paul elected.

If your idea isn't connected, post it in Hot Topics, put a description and a link in your signature or something.

freedom-maniac
12-22-2007, 06:34 PM
I support this, though the poll when I checked is 50.1 against to 49.9 for (sounds like Bush-Kerry results...hmm...). Anyways, we should tout around that quote from Ghandi:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you*, and then you win."
*(We are here)

They killed Gravel at "ignore", they killed Kucinich at "laugh", and they're trying to squash the r3volution at "fight". But we'll show them!

Antonius Stone
12-22-2007, 06:36 PM
well the point of this is not so much to advocate Ron Paul but to prove to the doubters that we exist. The sheer numbers we could have if we were to do this could be mind-boggling, especially if Veterans for Peace and people like MoveOn.org were to show up to our march

Unspun
12-22-2007, 06:40 PM

That's silly, Ron Paul himself ties his message with the founders a lot, A LOT... He also ties his message with George Bush's message in 2000, and Ronald Reagan's message in the 60's. So, I wouldn't say that for sure...