PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Channel/TV - several people have suggested it, reality or fantasy?

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
nt

webber53
12-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Ron Paul is obviously our top priority however the political battles will not end with the Presidency. Because Dr. Paul's message is unifying all of us at a national level this is an appropriate time to talk about some long term ideas such as this one that has already been mentioned while we have a large audience.

Question #1 - Fantasy or Reality?
This project would take money and planning. Do we have enough people interested to get it off the ground or the expertise to put together a sound financial plan that will raise venture capital?

Question #2 - Content?
Do people envision a cable/sat channel? Internet only? Start as internet only with ambitions to grow into a cable/sat channel? If we start internet only create in depth programs and sell to history channel/pbs? Email subscriptions with links to videos?

Original news content or work with all of the pieces of local/regions news that is already available but most of us never see the whole picture?

Original programming like 60 minutes or history channel in depth stories?

Many of us are fed up with the OM and here are so many questions, but the first question is are we really interested in the idea? Or are we interested in a different idea? The internet is prime real estate right now to start a network on the internet. Liberty TV is currently a void in the market place. Many are not even aware of small bits and pieces of change happening all across the country every day. Many are not aware of several liberty oriented groups that already exist and have been fighting the good fight. Do we want a news medium we can count to keep us current on the issues, political races, etc. Are we ready to change it or not?

If you like the idea respond in the thread or send a private message so we can organize an intelligent discussion to plan the idea.

I like it!:)

murrayrothbard
12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
IMHO Internet would definitely be the place to start. You've got to be able to make a strong case that you will be able to attract viewers (i.e. bring in advertising revenue) for cable operators to consider carrying the programming. With digital cable this may be less of a factor since network operators are able to supply many more channels. Also I new cable channel doesn't have to be 24 hrs. Channel sharing, infomercials, etc are all done by cable operators.

But anyways, on the Internet none of this is a big issue. Of course you want customers/viewers in order to generate revenue, but the entry barriers on the internet are almost non-existent. I think the key is to have QUALITY programming. Maybe news commentary, in-depth specials, documentaries, economic education, etc.

I have thought about this idea a lot off and on for the last several years. Lew Rockwell / Mises Institute TV has always been a dream of mine. (I just use those organizations as an example, since that is my background in the 'freedom movement'.)

AceNZ
12-19-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm totally for this. I've suggested putting together our own channel several times in other threads, but can't say that I've seen much enthusiasm about it yet. I believe having our own media outlet is going to be crucial in the long run.

This project would take money and planning. Do we have enough people interested to get it off the ground or the expertise to put together a sound financial plan that will raise venture capital?

We don't have enough money or expertise yet. But that can be fixed.

I think venture capital for an idea like this won't work. VCs look for a 3 to 10X return on their money within a few years. We can't do that, and even if we could, we don't want to be beholden to them.

The way to fund this is the same way the campaign is being funded -- grassroots. A rough estimate is that it might take $20M to put something like this together. If 20,000 of us donate $1,000 each, then we're there.

Question #2 - Content?
Do people envision a cable/sat channel? Internet only? Start as internet only with ambitions to grow into a cable/sat channel? If we start internet only create in depth programs and sell to history channel/pbs? Email subscriptions with links to videos?

Original news content or work with all of the pieces of local/regions news that is already available but most of us never see the whole picture?

While there's a certain budgetary appeal to starting as Internet-only -- and as others have pointed out, there aren't any serious competitors in the area of real-time news on the net -- I believe that would severely limit our reach. Like it or not, "conventional" TV is still the most influential medium available.

I think we should start on satellite. Cable is full of all sorts of costs and legal entanglements that would be best avoided early on. And of course we can stream onto the web, too.

I don't see any reason not to follow the proven success of channels like CNN and Fox News. We would do original content. Trying to produce it for sale to others would be a distraction. I think there's room for a lot of innovation in this area. We could ask RP supporters and other like-minded folks to create content, for example. Solicit original clips of newsworthy events, show copyright-screened YouTube-like videos, etc.

We don't need a lot of unique content to get things launched. Look at Headline News -- basically the same content over-and-over every half-hour all day long. We probably need one or two self-produced hour-long news shows, plus ideally some political comedy, maybe another one or two hour-long interview shows, and an occasional original documentary. Let's say 6 hrs of original content per day, repeated 4 times.

This is not really that difficult to do, in spite of what the MSM would have you believe. Especially if we go into it with profit as a secondary motive. And being "self" funded would give us a degree of freedom that's unprecedented.

The only way to beat the MSM is to fight fire-with-fire by creating our own channel.

hawkeyenick
12-19-2007, 10:24 PM
The dynamic of tv is changing right now, you guys have to realize that advertisers are pulling out of the TV game almost completely right now because of the internet and Tivo-like abilities to skip commercials.

If you can come up with clever ways to advertise it will work, otherwise it won't. Product placements and live product info and/or product trials on air are a good place to start.

Shink
12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
There seems to be a few experts in these forums in ANY area, and I'm sure someone will come out of the woodworks to help make this a reality. I think it'd be very easy to get 'exclusive' interviews with libertarian figures, Badnarik, Lew Rockwell, economists, put together debates, have 'DIY' reports sent in by viewers, etc.

AceNZ
12-19-2007, 10:37 PM
The dynamic of tv is changing right now, you guys have to realize that advertisers are pulling out of the TV game almost completely right now because of the internet and Tivo-like abilities to skip commercials.

If you can come up with clever ways to advertise it will work, otherwise it won't. Product placements and live product info and/or product trials on air are a good place to start.

I agree. I think the days of conventional ad spots are numbered. Product placement and in-show pitches (as have been done on the radio forever) are the way of the future. There are also a lot of ways to make money other than with conventional ads (DVDs, product sales, website tie-ins, pay-for-appearance interviews, etc, etc).

But that doesn't mean that conventional / satellite TV is losing popularity or viewership. It just means we have think out of the box on the income side. I've been involved in Internet-based advertising for years -- the same thing is true there as well.

murrayrothbard
12-19-2007, 10:38 PM

This is why I think a dynamic Internet based "network" would be a much better idea than a old school fire-and-forget bulk distribution (satellite, cable). With the internet you can involve the consumer much more. For example, a viewer can pick and choose what they want to watch, when, and what parts. Of course you can still have live shows streamed over the internet. Simple advertising method would be to show a commercial at the beginning of your stream, etc. You have much more control while at the same time allowing the viewer maximum flexibility. Videos can be tied into other media resources (articles, books, presentations, games, etc). With the increasing availability of high bandwidth consumer internet access, broadcast quality video over the internet is the wave of the future...IMO.

PimpBlimp
12-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I'll do the weather

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-19-2007, 10:43 PM
nt

AlexAmore
12-19-2007, 10:51 PM
I'll do the weather

lol

"IT'S RAININ SIDEWAYS!" - Black-U Weather Forecast (Family Guy)

I'll do the "What Really Grinds My Gears" segment.

literatim
12-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Question #2 - Content?

I agree with AceNZ. We should work on getting it on Internet and Satellite, but I would like to suggest we work on becoming highly Web 2.0. Most of the streaming crap on Fox, CNN, and MSNBC is just that: crap. Their website is cluttered and feels nothing like Web 2.0 such as Digg, Reddit, YouTube, etc.

Things that need to be focused on: presentation, video quality, and quality of content. It needs to be professional.

We also need to understand that IPTV is the wave of the future and should be prepared for it. IPTV is digital content that is basically Video on Demand. We should also work on producing it in HD.

Working with Satellite broadcasting companies such as Dish, DirecTV and IPTV companies such as Verizon with their FIOS, AT&T with their U-verse, and Microsoft and the Xbox 360.

Yes, as much as we can cover. I think giving people real and truthful news is the best way to attract an audience.

Yes and we can sell it on DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD.

This is why I think a dynamic Internet based "network" would be a much better idea than a old school fire-and-forget bulk distribution (satellite, cable). With the internet you can involve the consumer much more. For example, a viewer can pick and choose what they want to watch, when, and what parts. Of course you can still have live shows streamed over the internet. Simple advertising method would be to show a commercial at the beginning of your stream, etc. You have much more control while at the same time allowing the viewer maximum flexibility. Videos can be tied into other media resources (articles, books, presentations, games, etc). With the increasing availability of high bandwidth consumer internet access, broadcast quality video over the internet is the wave of the future...IMO.

As long as it is economically feasible, there is no reason we can't do both Internet and Satellite.

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-19-2007, 10:56 PM
nt

AlexAmore
12-19-2007, 11:07 PM
If anyone wants to get involved in this and is in NH let me know. I can't speak for my uncle, but he might help. He is a professional videographer and editor, owns his own business, and is an active Ron Paul supporter.

BeFranklin
12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I want a satellite, so we can put Ron Paul in space this time :)

AceNZ
12-19-2007, 11:26 PM
I think having an Internet presence is critical; there's a lot that can be done there. And by all means it should be Web 2.0, Ajax, hip, fast, comprehensive, etc. Free episode downloads, live broadcasts, searches, comments, forum, episodes in HD, etc. That's all motherhood-and-apple-pie. (I would even volunteer to work on that part myself; it's the type of thing that I do for a living).

However, I don't think it's enough by itself. If it was just for us, then sure, it would be. But please keep in mind who the target audience is. People who have a good Internet connection and enough curiosity are one of the hotbeds of support for Ron Paul. That's not were we need to have an impact.

We should be aiming to reach Middle America. A lot of those people are still on dial-up, and don't see much of a reason to ever upgrade (my sister and her family are in that camp). Or if they have broadband, they don't have the time or the curiosity to research issues involving Liberty and Freedom (my sister doesn't even like to read). They're happy to channel-flip, and if something happens to grab their eye, they stop for a while and check it out. They're hooked on conventional TV, and not likely to change anytime soon.

So I'm not suggesting ignoring the Internet, or not riding that wave and doing a good job there. But we need conventional TV too if we're going to have any hope of competing in the War of Ideas with the likes of Fox News and CNN.

0zzy
12-19-2007, 11:26 PM
I wanted to make this.

paulitics
12-19-2007, 11:41 PM
There is a such a huge void that needs to be filled here, not unlike Rupert Murdoch and his billion dollar empire, prior to Fox news.

Huge breaking, watergate scandals, (which are occuring and not being reported) can be uncovered. Once we break a news story, it will completely turn the industry over, and we can become the leader in news. Think cnn + digg hybrid, with live coverage. The live coverage with professional reporters will add credibility over a blog promulgating the same info.

The main product we are selling is breaking news stories, government corruption.
We will do what the media (before it was corrupt) should do. When there was competition, whoever broke the story first would become the industry leader.

Where will the revenue come from? Many sources, but for some, donations may actually be possible. I know I would give $50 per month, without any hesitation, for good, uncensored, news. I would give it voluntarily, and I would surmise that a good percentage of us here would do likewise. Additionally, there ill be some advertising revenue, but we should not overdo it, at the expense of the message.

If my $50.00 per month can lead to accountability in government again, than it is the best money I ever spent. I'm sure thousands more would pledge the same.

Just look at how effective we are at raising money for a cause now? The cause is liberty. The revolution would not have happened without guys like Thomas Paine spreading their message.

chrismatthews
12-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm very interested in this idea. I have the same idea myself.

My website is supposed to be something like what you're discussing, except rather than be a liberty advocate(as we define it among minarchism), it would be open to whatever affiliation, so you could be exposed to the free market of ideas and decide what makes sense.

It's not well developed yet, but the challenge is that the countries a really big place. Article's written about news events already reported end up being editorials, and the only difference between editorials and blogs is presentation.

Original content is where it's at, and what is difficult to generate.

Bacon
12-20-2007, 12:17 AM
I love this idea, but there have been three separate topics on the forums about starting one. I think our best interest at this point is to combine all efforts to create the news channel. I do web design/ development and I'm definitely down to put forth a lot of time and effort on this project. PM me live_free_or_die and we can talk about getting a site started.

AceNZ
12-20-2007, 12:41 AM
I really don't think the income side will be a problem. There are a lot of options. If we're self-funded, we can just experiment around and see what works. Hey, even ask the viewers for their ideas (what a concept!).

The big challenge will be raising enough money up-front to effectively get it off the ground, with enough leeway to allow us to learn from our mistakes and course-correct along the way.

Fox News filled the Neocon void. The void we're after is much larger.

Here are a few ideas on the fundraising side:

-- Tentative initial goals: $10M cash plus $417K/month in subscription fees (10,000 donors at $1,000 each plus 8,340 subscribers at $50/month for 24 months)
-- The usual setup with a website to collect donations, etc, and to provide info about the project
-- Organization form is TBD, but a structure where initial donors are part-owners would be ideal. Public companies are very expensive to setup and maintain. Maybe a limited partnership? A 501(c)(3) non-profit seems appealing on the surface, but they aren't allowed to support a particular political candidate.
-- Donations should be concrete, not pledges. As the Blimp project showed, pledges are an unreliable way to raise money.
-- Look into setting up an escrow service of some kind, so that if the funding goals aren't reached by a certain time, donations will be returned. The service could be paid for with interest earned on the donations. Limited funds should be released from escrow upon the achievement of specific goals, spelled out in advance.
-- How to get the word out? Do we have access to meet-up members or other RP supporters? Of course there are the traditional mechanisms, youtube, etc. Lots of room to be innovative here.
-- Work on the final website could start early. If it's done before fundraising is finished, perhaps the Internet side would come to life to a limited extent before the live broadcast side -- which might in turn attract more support.
-- Donors should be involved in and informed about business decisions. Discussion and voting could be done through an online forum.
-- People who contribute time or materials instead of cash should be entitled to compensation in the form of increased ownership.
-- Solicit early advertiser commitments. If successful, they could offset the required amount of fundraising.
-- Produce a couple of example shows, to give people an idea of what we're aiming for. Maybe one with news and one with viewer-provided video clips.
-- Generate and evolve a business plan, which would be published on the website for open review. This involves a tremendous amount of detail work -- collecting price quotes, researching licensing issues, building a budget, identifying potential staff, etc.
-- Establish a volunteer network. Reporters, video editors, writers, etc. Start producing sample content for the website.

Does this make sense? Comments?

Carole
12-20-2007, 12:45 AM
I would like to make a suggestion.

Nearly a year ago, I discovered a group who wanted to inititate a new News network. this network planned to represent as close as possible the real news, not the MSM type of news we now have. It is finally up and running under the banner The Real News Network.

This could be the place to hook up with the Liberty message rather than trying to start from scratch. I know it was at least a year before they got their site up and running and tonight I checked it again and they are up!!

They accept no government or corporate funding, and no advertising. Only donations.

Please take some time to check them out as I also will do. If they are what I think they are, this could be the place for which you are searching. At the very least they can probably give you some great information.

If it were possible, it could be a great thing to work with them rather than compete with them.

Here is the URL.

Real News Network
h ttp://www.therealnews.com/web/index.php

Thanks and best of luck.

hawkeyenick
12-20-2007, 12:56 AM
I can write articles for free in the beginning, there's TONS of info that the mainstream doesn't know about how things go down here.

AceNZ
12-20-2007, 12:58 AM
()

Carole
12-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Here is the URL in which the Real News Network explains itself.

Please check it out.

IWT:The Real News F.A.Q. 2007 Paul Jay
http://www.veotag.com/player/?u=xlvtyhocnm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hawkeyenick
12-20-2007, 01:04 AM

Nearly a year ago, I discovered a group who wanted to inititate a new News network. this network planned to represent as close as possible the real news, not the MSM type of news we now have. It is finally up and running under the banner The Real News Network.

This could be the place to hook up with the Liberty message rather than trying to start from scratch. I know it was at least a year before they got their site up and running and tonight I checked it again and they are up!!

They accept no government or corporate funding, and no advertising. Only donations.

Please take some time to check them out as I also will do. If they are what I think they are, this could be the place for which you are searching. At the very least they can probably give you some great information.

If it were possible, it could be a great thing to work with them rather than compete with them.

Here is the URL.

Real News Network

Thanks and best of luck.

Yea, problem is that they are HEAVILY left leaning. They are going to have donor issues because they are after an apathetic audience.

We could always try to work with them though...but doing our own thing will likely be much more successful, albeit a much harder endeavor

Form a non-profit (like IPTV), do a gigantic fund-raiser and you will be on your way. To keep big donors you would have to create "mock" stock that acts as votes or something similar. This would NOT be an easy undertaking, but a few lawyers giving free advice and a few crafty businessmen can make it happen.

Bacon
12-20-2007, 01:11 AM
AceNZ, those topics are for a RP media blitz, this project is to create a new media outlet. We need to get our own subforum under the Grassroots Projects forum. Mods?

Carole
12-20-2007, 01:15 AM
I just found this also. This group is at least a year ahead in establishing itself, but only recently have their website truly active.

The Real News is a non-profit news and documentary network focused on providing independent and uncompromising journalism. Our staff, in collaboration with courageous journalists around the globe, will investigate, report and debate stories on the critical issues of our times.
We are member supported and do not accept advertising, government or corporate funding.
Views: 151,573
The Promise of real news
h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXtLgMedyI

rwl4
12-20-2007, 01:19 AM
We could always leverage something like Joost (http://www.joost.com/).

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-20-2007, 02:14 AM
nt

literatim
12-20-2007, 02:17 AM

Here is the URL.

Real News Network

Thanks and best of luck.

It is a socialist leaning news site.

purplechoe
12-20-2007, 03:33 AM
I'd watch it and donate $. :)

Mark
12-20-2007, 11:41 AM
A few notes after reading the thread:

1. No one has said it will be easy, any naysayer comments are not necessary, "can't is not an option"

2. Target audience is those who are, or will be, net savvy enough to reguire a broadband connection,
no one can be all to everyone, people who only want dial-up aren't ROI feasible to address

3. 501(c)3 Orgs cannot be directly involved, however, from my experience, I see no reason not to utilize one as an investment vehicle.

Case in point: My 501(c)3 receives $1000 in tax deductible donations from 1000 people for a total of 1 million .

Now I have a conundrum. What to do with 1 million?

a. I can give it away until there's none left.

b. I can invest in CD's at say 5% interest, and my ROI is $50,000/year in annual income that I can give away,
yet, still retain the initial capital.

c. I can invest in a growing company, that I have no direct involvement in, only an investment,
thus not compromising my Tax Exempt 501(c)3 status, and see a ROI of potentially 400% (5 million) in 5 years

What would be the wisest course in order to be a good steward of the donation?

a. would be honorable, yet completely draining of all capital. Not ideal.

b. A ROI of 5%/year, $50,000 ($250,000 in 5 years) Not bad, but admin costs would eat up a lot of the ROI

c. Receive 5 million in 5 years, that I could then invest in CD's for a ROI of $250,000 every year,
a substantial amount that could be used honorably annually indefinitely, with no loss of initial capital. Quite astute.

I think I'd choose to invest in the growing company, and what Gov Agency could fault me for it?

Win Win Win for:

a. Initial donors who received a tax deduction for their contribution

b. Growing company who needs an initial infusion of capital to grow

c. My 501(c)3 which, in 5 years, would see the same return as investing initially in a 5% CD for 5 years, plus,
each consecutive year following, a 400% annual increase in ROI compared to initially investing in a CD, meaning,
a 400% increase annually in funds available for distribution.

4. Venture capital - I know someone

5. Business plan - I know someone

Mark
12-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I left out the having a forum here idea.

Great! Initially. But eventually, like any other company, not ideal for discussing business plans beyond a certain point.

Probably not wise to have all your plans freely available for everyone on the web to peruse at their leisure.

Noble
12-20-2007, 12:03 PM
LiberTV?

Shink
12-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Guerilla TV, for reasons I put in the PM.

gang
12-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Great idea! :)

When it's get streamed as IPTV also the cable providers can use it. But in America the stations have to pay, when they wanna be on cable, don't they?

And there is lots of content to be broadcasted. Probably the Mises Institute would be interested, too.

But such a station should not be established as a non-profit-organisation. Doing it as an LLC - or using a foreign kind of partnership - provides opportunities to collect money and offer reduced taxes for investors. And that's always been a good argument. ;)

Mark
12-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I just thought of a concern in terms of the company/domain name.

This isn't meant to be a RP specific Network. It's meant more like an honest network.

It's been discussed that the focus should be all encompassing,
i.e.
We don't have to cover only Ron to get his message across, we only have to cover his message of Liberty and freedom,
and people will be drawn to him like we all have.

It may be wise to avoid a company domain name like Gorilla, it's a bit controversial.
Also, domains are best if they're simple. LiberTV is good, but the spelling may be confusing. However a winner in terms of discussing viability.

Also, the company name can be completely different than the domain name.
There's no rule that says they have to be the same.

I already have:

NewPress.tv ~ Very simple, easy to remember and write, expresses a non-biased viewpoint, and the idea of a new paradigm in media coverage.

I also already have:

NewPressTV.com ~ a possible company name? Same principles as above.

Company: NewPressTV

Motto: "NewPress TV, a New Press for the New Millennium"

What's not to like? Very benign, basic name that describes the purpose to create a new outlet for news.

These days, Press doesn't just mean the printed press, it's a general term for news outlets.

Press conferences include TV stations. Si?

The words/term ~ "New", "Press", "TV"

How much more benign, simple to express, remember, and convey can you get? And still describe the product?
Without sounding like the company leans a certain way?

LiberTV even sounds a bit "political". NewPress is TOTALLY benign.

It implies nothing other than a New Press. A new option for news. What's not perfect as can be reasonably expected?

It's a New Millennium, people want a New Choice for news. We're offering them that new choice. a New Press outlet for TV.

We're offering them New Press TV

Mark
12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Thoughts as to the best State to Incorporate in?

Isn't Delaware used a lot for Credit Card companies? A business friendly State?

Elwar
12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Internet only...the technology will catch up to the channel.

BeFranklin
12-20-2007, 03:03 PM
The Ron Paul Liberty Television Network.

integrity
12-20-2007, 03:04 PM
count me in!

constitutional
12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Ron Paul is obviously our top priority however the political battles will not end with the Presidency. Because Dr. Paul's message is unifying all of us at a national level this is an appropriate time to talk about some long term ideas such as this one that has already been mentioned while we have a large audience.

Question #2 - Content?

Many of us are fed up with the OM and here are so many questions, but the first question is are we really interested in the idea? Or are we interested in a different idea? The internet is prime real estate right now to start a network on the internet. Liberty TV is currently a void in the market place. Many are not even aware of small bits and pieces of change happening all across the country every day. Many are not aware of several liberty oriented groups that already exist and have been fighting the good fight. Do we want a news medium we can count to keep us current on the issues, political races, etc. Are we ready to change it or not?

If you like the idea respond in the thread or send a private message so we can organize an intelligent discussion to plan the idea.

I like it. These kinds of project MUST take place after election is over and RP is chilling in the office. :D

eric_cartman
12-20-2007, 03:09 PM
i would start with an internet tv channel. it's way cheaper and it will give everyone a chance to check it out. then if people like what they see, then we can work on getting it on TV.

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
i would start with an internet tv channel. it's way cheaper and it will give everyone a chance to check it out. then if people like what they see, then we can work on getting it on TV.

It's really something that needs to fly asap if we're going to do it in order to help the campaign.

Sure, a web channel is cool, but we're trying to reach people off the web too. To tap that market.

As a fully developed, ongoing company, sure, the extent would reach out through future years.

But, we're trying to combat the MSM now, in their medium.

We''re already on the Internet. Youtube, sites ect. We need to be on TV to fight the negative hype.

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:19 PM
count me in!

In what capacity?

BeFranklin
12-20-2007, 03:21 PM
Think we can build the project in separate boxes at the same time, and do both; satellite and internet. Maybe also use it to boast other initiatives, like generating videos for sending to cable access channels.

constitutional
12-20-2007, 03:22 PM
It's really something that needs to fly asap if we're going to do it in order to help the campaign.

Sure, a web channel is cool, but we're trying to reach people off the web too. To tap that market.

As a fully developed, ongoing company, sure, the extent would reach out through future years.

But, we're trying to combat the MSM now, in their medium.

We''re already on the Internet. Youtube, sites ect. We need to be on TV to fight the negative hype.

It doesn't need to fly now. Period. We can't afford it and it will be a mess. And if you think we can get a channel up and running before the primaries are over... good luck.

Again, I like this idea once the election is over. It can't be done now.

qednick
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I *love* this idea. :D

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Can one of the senior members or admins get a liberty tv project thread started in the grass roots projects.

There are many ideas to be worked out

I did in Tech Projects a few days ago.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=58817

Maybe you mean a dedicated forum?

BeFranklin
12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Or maybe just The Ron Paul Network. It should have Ron Paul' name in there, which will be used long after Ron Paul leaves office as President of the United States.

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
It doesn't need to fly now. Period. We can't afford it and it will be a mess. And if you think we can get a channel up and running before the primaries are over... good luck.

Some of us want to try.

Even if things aren't in full gear before the primaries are over, there's a lot of time before the general election to utilize.

Please note point #1 on this previous page:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=60820&page=4

1. No one has said it will be easy, any naysayer comments are not necessary, "can't is not an option"

AceNZ
12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Internet only...the technology will catch up to the channel.

Sure, the tech will catch up. That's not the point, though. The people we need to reach -- Middle America -- largely aren't Internet-savvy, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

We can start on the Internet, since the cost to do so is relatively low. But remember, this isn't a TV channel just for people who already understand RP's message of freedom, prosperity and peace.

The really important part of this concept is that it provides a mechanism to reach people who don't get it yet. It's a vehicle that will allow us to compete in the ongoing Information War against the likes of CNN and Fox News.

There are already a million websites that carry this type of information. If we stay on the web, we will never have the reach and the level of influence needed to make a serious impact.

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Or maybe just The Ron Paul Network. It should have Ron Paul' name in there, which will be used long after Ron Paul leaves office as President of the United States.

That negates the point of a non-specific RP Network, that espouses his message and resonates beyond the campaign.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Check out:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3905678&listpage=20

The idea is to work towards this AFTER the primaries, because until then, our money should be going to support RP.

After he wins the nomination, we will need a channel to explain why a RP candidacy is the best hope for America.

Even should he lose in the general election (not really possible, if he wins the nomination IMHO) this channel will educate Americans to the point where a win for RP (or someone much like him) can be guaranteed in 2013--if we have that long left as a nation, that is...

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Sure, the tech will catch up. That's not the point, though. The people we need to reach -- Middle America -- largely aren't Internet-savvy, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

We can start on the Internet, since the cost to do so is relatively low. But remember, this isn't a TV channel just for people who already understand RP's message of freedom, prosperity and peace.

The really important part of this concept is that it provides a mechanism to reach people who don't get it yet. It's a vehicle that will allow us to compete in the ongoing Information War against the likes of CNN and Fox News.

There are already a million websites that carry this type of information. If we stay on the web, we will never have the reach and the level of influence needed to make a serious impact.

QFT Exactly, we could "practice" on the web before going "live", but it's certain not the goal or aim to be an Internet network.

We have those, we do not have a TV presence.

AceNZ
12-20-2007, 03:39 PM

So you're happy with the way the MSM is presenting the facts?

The R3volution will not end with the primaries. RP will continue to need support through the general election.

In the unlikely event he doesn't win, the momentum developed with the grassroots support needs to be captured and focused. We need people to understand the message of Freedom, Prosperity and Peace for the next election too, so that representatives with supporting viewpoints will be more likely to be elected.

Plus, it *can* be done now.

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Check out:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3905678&listpage=20

The idea is to work towards this AFTER the primaries, because until then, our money should be going to support RP.

After he wins the nomination, we will need a channel to explain why a RP candidacy is the best hope for America.

Even should he lose in the general election (not really possible, if he wins the nomination IMHO) this channel will educate Americans to the point where a win for RP (or someone much like him) can be guaranteed in 2013--if we have that long left as a nation, that is...

Thanks! I'll look into coordinating with them. Not interested in waiting for anything though.

Other projects can wait until after the primaries too, but they don't, do they? Why should this one?

webber53
12-20-2007, 03:42 PM
The Ron Paul Liberty Television Network.

How does WRPL sound?

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks! I'll look into coordinating with them. Not interested in waiting for anything though.

Other projects can wait until after the primaries too, but they don't, do they? Why should this one?

The fund raising side of this ONLY should wait, IMO (but it is just MO, and I can be talked out of it) until after the primaries so that every available dollar can go to RP.

We will have a website up tonight. TheFreedomNetwork.US project has only been going for two weeks, but we have several board members already signed up, and will hash ideas and run small projects (like OUR OWN PROFESSIONAL POLLS) starting tonight (according to the webmaster.)

Let's all work together!

freedominnumbers
12-20-2007, 03:45 PM
I think a new freedom message station is an awesome idea.
I would not be interested in funding it however unless there were ownership opportunities

There's no way I'm going to just hand money to a commercial venture when I could be making money by investing in my own.

It's been proven that a conservative message gets the highest ratings in talk radio and cable news. I think that given proper content management a freedom network would be bigger than Fox. The key is getting the sensationalism without the bias.

LibertiORDeth
12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
I have already started work on a project similar to this, although it is not entirely dedicated to Ron Paul.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=61238

We currently have six volunteers, two of which are building the site.

webber53
12-20-2007, 03:47 PM

RPN. I like it. It has a medical ring to it. Reminds me that
our candidate is a Doctor as well as a congressman.
What a guy!

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:49 PM
The fund raising side of this ONLY should wait, IMO (but it is just MO, and I can be talked out of it) until after the primaries so that every available dollar can go to RP.

We will have a website up tonight. TheFreedomNetwork.US project has only been going for two weeks, but we have several board members already signed up, and will hash ideas and run small projects (like OUR OWN PROFESSIONAL POLLS) starting tonight (according to the webmaster.)

Let's all work together!

I agree, every grassroots $ should go to Ron.

This is not something necessarily appropriate for a ChipIn or blimp style fundraising scenario.

Properly done, it would take investment capital.

BTW

I created a hosting account last night for http://NewPressTV.com and sent sean the login info
to check out available options for creating an initial website, don't see anything there yet.

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I have already started work on a project similar to this, although it is not entirely dedicated to Ron Paul.

Well that's awesome, pretty much exactly what we're thinking of.

A site that's NOT RP specific, but espouses the ideals of his message.

Perhaps we should coordinate. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Do you have a site to work together at? We're thinking of creating some type of "private" forum so ideas aren't public knowledge.

Danny Molina
12-20-2007, 03:54 PM
I like LNC. Liberty News Channel.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I would not be interested in funding it however unless there were ownership opportunities

There's no way I'm going to just hand money to a commercial venture when I could be making money by investing in my own.

It's been proven that a conservative message gets the highest ratings in talk radio and cable news. I think that given proper content management a freedom network would be bigger than Fox. The key is getting the sensationalism without the bias.

Come over and tell us your ideas. We could start by selling shares, if people thought that was the best approach. Right now TFN is just looking for brainstorming board members from all 50 states!

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3905678

Mark
12-20-2007, 03:56 PM

Absolutely this would probably have to be an investment opportunity in order to gather the necessary capital.

It would even take a staff of full-time employees ect.

videogeek
12-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Starting online is the way to go. With the media convergence that's been happening over the last several years, there's really no other or better place to be, unless you plan on targeting an older, less tech savvy demographic. Start out with a good slate of maybe 30 some odd short programs before you launch. These can be part of series, or stand alone specials. Also, don't forget the value of user submitted media. The key is that it all has to be high quality, and engaging. Check out reason.tv for a similar idea that's already launched. Once you've built some following up online, then you can think about moving into VOD. Launching a cable or satellite channel is a huge, immensely expensive proposition that can be very risky.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Do you have a site to work together at? We're thinking of creating some type of "private" forum so ideas aren't public knowledge.

We could use www.ronpaulnetwork.info for sensitive discussions.

Mark
12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Come over and tell us your ideas. We could start by selling shares, if people thought that was the best approach. Right now TFN is just looking for brainstorming board members from all 50 states!

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3905678

Do you have a hosting account yet? I'm offering RP related sites cost hosting.

Mark
12-20-2007, 04:02 PM
unless you plan on targeting an older, less tech savvy demographic.

That is one of our main demographic targets.

BeFranklin
12-20-2007, 04:03 PM

I agree, but there has to be a way to get from sort-of not for the money to there in the beginning, and everyone has to have a chance at some ownership/stock.

Edit: I suggest a corporation, with stock being paid out to people who actually do things or pay/finance it in the beginning. Although that will seem like voluntaring at first, eventually that pay in 'not worth much stock' will be worth a great deal.

Now that I've open the floodgates, we'll have to structure it right so its a real company, not a fly by nighter.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Secure discussions can take place in this forum:

http://ronpaulnetwork.info/forum/index.php?topic=453.0

You need to register and be activated.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Do you have a hosting account yet? I'm offering RP related sites cost hosting.

Yes, at present we are being hosted for free by the webmaster out of Portland, ME. He is also the meetup coordinator there.

AceNZ
12-20-2007, 04:08 PM

This has been discussed earlier in this thread. The idea is to offer shares of some kind -- probably in the form of an LLC -- with an escrow company of some kind involved to provide some protection for investors in case the total funds required end up not getting raised.

I like LNC. Liberty News Channel.

+1

Bacon
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
libertynews.com is available for $3,300 .. that'd be a great domain! Anyone have the cash to fork over for that? Maybe we could do a chip-in?

MN Patriot
12-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I was involved with local cable TV a few years ago. Helped to put together and distribute shows. I discovered local cable companies provide time slots for just about anything; any metropolitan area could have dozens of local cable providers that are always looking for shows to put on the air, preferably local, but usually will take anything.

Now that a huge network of activists is getting together, one thing they could do is find their local cable tv company and provide them with tapes, DVD's or whatever they use, of the new Liberty program. Sure, they might run at 3:00 am, but sleepless channel surfers could still find it. Most of the local cable companies didn't charge anything to run the programs, either.

Since part of this idea is to compete with the mainstream media, would it be possible to have a grassroots network of citizen-reporters available to report on major news events? Especially things that the mainstream media won't cover, like tax protests (there have been several tax protests on the capital steps in Minnesota, thousands of people, but the mainstream media didn't show up, or minimized it). Or disasters, accidents, scandals, etc. Video cameras are cheap, communication is instantaneous, we can keep an eye on Big Brother.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 04:14 PM
libertynews.com is available for $3,300 .. that'd be a great domain! Anyone have the cash to fork over for that? Maybe we could do a chip-in?

TheFreedomNetwork has already been bought and paid for, why spend another $3,300?

Are we going to start with the "herding cats" thing now...lol...

LibertiORDeth
12-20-2007, 04:15 PM

If you would like to join the project, that would be great. I could set up a private forum, which sounds like a pretty good idea.
Ill go work on it now :D

Mark
12-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Secure discussions can take place in this forum:

You need to register and be activated.

Wow, thanks Steve now done been there and done that.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I was involved with local cable TV a few years ago. Helped to put together and distribute shows. I discovered local cable companies provide time slots for just about anything; any metropolitan area could have dozens of local cable providers that are always looking for shows to put on the air, preferably local, but usually will take anything.

Now that a huge network of activists is getting together, one thing they could do is find their local cable tv company and provide them with tapes, DVD's or whatever they use, of the new Liberty program. Sure, they might run at 3:00 am, but sleepless channel surfers could still find it. Most of the local cable companies didn't charge anything to run the programs, either.

Since part of this idea is to compete with the mainstream media, would it be possible to have a grassroots network of citizen-reporters available to report on major news events? Especially things that the mainstream media won't cover, like tax protests (there have been several tax protests on the capital steps in Minnesota, thousands of people, but the mainstream media didn't show up, or minimized it). Or disasters, accidents, scandals, etc. Video cameras are cheap, communication is instantaneous, we can keep an eye on Big Brother.

We need a bonafide major network--along the lines of CBN--that reports PATRIOTIC NEWS, etc. Nobody watches local access.

I love paragraph 3!!! Absolutely!!

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow, thanks Steve now done been there and done that.

Awesome, Mark!!

Now, can we get you to go into this thread and sign on as the board member for your state or region?:

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3905678&pager.offset=50

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Let me emphasize that we have NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIREMENT to be a board member!

LibertiORDeth
12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
For those of you interested, the forum for Operation: Free Speech is

http://freespeech.invisionplus.net/

Bacon
12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
TheFreedomNetwork has already been bought and paid for, why spend another $3,300?

Are we going to start with the "herding cats" thing now...lol...
It's a decent domain name.. kind of long. Maybe we can talk to the owners of freedomnetwork.com Also, freedomnet.tv and freedomnews.tv is available. They're a lot shorter than TheFreedomNetwork.com

Regardless, we need to get organized and start on the website. Me and defcreative were going to be doing the website for Operation: Free Speech, so I figure we will be working on TFN's website. We need to get a list of everyone who wants to be involved with this amazing project and what they will be contributing. I think this is off to a great start!

Mark
12-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Awesome, Mark!!

Now, can we get you to go into this thread and sign on as the board member for your state or region?:

You know it man, still waiting for a conformation email

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 04:29 PM
You know it man, still waiting for a conformation email

lol...gotcha. Are you a meetup member? That helps...

I think...

BeFranklin
12-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Let's all work together!

Do I read it right that we will be like professionals and run our own very scientific polls :D

defcreative
12-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Thank you for creating this thread OP, as this is exactly the type of interest we need to gauge before falling head first into a very large project like this.

I have been speaking with luke for a little while about this project and I am glad to see that there is a good deal of support for it. As others have mentioned, the wise idea would be to start ONLY on the internet and expand as the userbase and the content expands.

Personally, this was my idea of the way to go about making this site:

- Streaming video news reporting.

- Reporting by independent journalists volunteering to report the news.

- User comments and ratings (maybe ala digg) on the stories.

- Group of moderators to approve of videos (accuracy, bias, etc.) before "airing" on the site.

- Independent journalists can also submit written articles.

- Registered users can all be "independent journalists" and submit their own videos.

The architechure for a site like that wouldn't be too hard to make, but obviously the more little "widgets", the longer it will take. I would say a couple of weeks to a month for an initial build is reasonable.

I would want all video to either be edited by the journalists (which may lead to inconsistent cut quality) or it would have to be edited by the team of moderators to which the video is submitted. We could have a "template" of all the channel elements such as transition logo animations, logos, fonts, and other misc graphics available to the journalists or just the moderators for use in editing. This will create cohesion between all of the media by having common elements.

The main concern of mine was that we would need substantial support in order to avoid having to leech off of other news site's stories (through appearing to have content by using RSS feeds, etc). We will have to rely on independent people to do the stories, so we will need a lot of help from everyone. It appears that there is a decent bit of support so this may be possible.

Either way, we need to be reasonable and actually plan EVERYTHING possible out before taking a step in any direction, otherwise we may end up wasting our time that could have been spent on more valuable projects to help Ron Paul's campaign.

Mark
12-20-2007, 04:45 PM
lol...gotcha. Are you a meetup member? That helps...

I think...

Got it now, yeah several meetups, The Triangle RP Meetup is my main.

Had something come up - got to book for now - I'll follow up on the thread asap

Thanks Steve!

BeFranklin
12-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I see all of our proposals are good, and don't necessarily link. I think we can build a wide and solid structure here that will interlink and build on itself.

I'm going to go home for the holidays shortly. I'm going to prepare my own list of proposals I think can make this get off the ground quickly.

I suggest we all do the same, and agree to meet at some time in chat tomorrow and post them all, discuss them, and see if we can meld them all together into something incredible.

Pauliana
12-20-2007, 04:49 PM

I agree. Great idea, but let's plan it out for the long run instead of slapping something together in a panic.

Need backers and research and plans and things. I think we should aim big with it and try to get it to be what we all wish Fox was.

defcreative
12-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Great idea, but let's plan it out for the long run instead of slapping something together in a panic.

Exactly my point.

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-20-2007, 04:59 PM
nt

gang
12-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Thoughts as to the best State to Incorporate in?

Isn't Delaware used a lot for Credit Card companies? A business friendly State?

Delaware has very business friendly corporate statutes.
But to incorporate a company can entail tax disadvantages.

SteveMartin
12-20-2007, 08:18 PM
There was already a thread started for this purpose:

..and it was posted two hours earlier.

Let's just al work together here, folks.

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-20-2007, 10:16 PM
nt

Minuteman
12-20-2007, 10:24 PM
We now have a subforum under the Grassroot Projects for this discussion. I asked Bryan to toss one up so we can all get on the same page.

MN Patriot
12-20-2007, 10:25 PM
We need a bonafide major network--along the lines of CBN--that reports PATRIOTIC NEWS, etc. Nobody watches local access.

I love paragraph 3!!! Absolutely!!

I'm suggesting that cable access could be an additional outlet. Definately focus on the internet, a major network, satelite, whatever. But having programs on local access would be a cheap and easy extra method of exposure.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a national, or even international, network of citizen-journalists who are ready to speed to the scene of an event and record it? Then have it broadcast on LibertyChannel to contradict the "official" story.

Soon Big Brother will have cameras everywhere, watching us, profiling us, tracking us. But Big Brother won't let us into the room with the monitors, anything that might jeopardize his credibility will be sent down the memory hole.

Start now, before they start regulating video cameras like the want to regulate guns.