PDA

View Full Version : **America First** foreign policy

mathamagician
12-19-2007, 07:03 PM
The main overarching obstacle to getting RP supported and elected within the Republican party is Paul's foreign policy. Now what is critical is that it is not actually his foreign policy that Republicans dislike, it's his *rhetoric*.

Conservatives think he sounds anti-American, he sounds like a whinny Democrat. I have a VERY conservative friend who basically admitted that he had almost the exact same foreign policy has Ron Paul but would not support him because of his 'views' (rhetoric) on foreign policy. Specifically my friend is very against nation building.

So Paul doesn't have to change any of this positions, just how he communicates or relates them to republicans. So I think Paul should call his foreign policy the

AMERICA FIRST foreign policy. It is not America's job to shed our soldiers blood to police the world, Paul supports American families and American soldiers NOT International Corporate interests or the interests of the UN.

If Paul shows that the neo-cons are serving international groups this will enrage the blood of the rank and file republicans, also do single out Israel but don't make an exception for them either.

Paul already says this to some extent but if he could convince people that his foreign policy is about favoring America over other countries people would begin to see his foreign poilcy as patriotic and not as internationist anti-American. In addition this is actually more accurately describing he views in my opinion.

What do you think?

If you agree we need to get this information out to the official campaign somehow. I honestly think if we can do this then Paul's chances of winning go from like 1-2% to like 25%.

Corydoras
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Buchanan is the contemporary politician I most associate with the phrase "America first," and I recall that it wasn't very popular. But that was then. I don't know how it would go over now.

mathamagician
12-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Buchanan was spun badly in the Mainstream media but he was a conservative populist who has all but endorsed Ron Paul. Besides if American First doesn't sit well with Republicans then what kind of foreign policy would? Running around blowing things up for Nato, the UN, and Israel is not popular with them.