PDA

View Full Version : The Economist - Can we work on getting an endorsement?

T206
12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Some key things that I know about The Economist that lead me to believe that they would be a very strong supporter and impressive endorsement to get:

Circulation is about 1.2M issues per week

Strong sense of pride around their philosphy of Advocacy Journalism and having an independent and unbiased reporting style

Although it is published in England, over 1/2 of the issues are circulated in the US. Among these readers, you will find heads of state, key political figures,and senior management of major companies and institutions

Major stances include being staunch supporters of free trade and fiscal conservatism

On October 28th 2004 they published an endorsement for Kerry over Bush, so I'm sure they plan on making another endorsement for the 2008 elections. Here is the key statement in that article: It is far from an easy call, especially against the backdrop of a turbulent, dangerous world. But, on balance, our instinct is towards change rather than continuity: Mr Kerry, not Mr Bush.

This is a very well respected publication that just happens to share similar views as Paul on multpile issues, and would provide a way to strengthen, and validate his views as being more acceptable by the masses.

Now, with all of that said, I certainly dont know much about the ownership and board of directors other than the following:

One good thing I notice and one bad thing...Sir Robert Wilson, the COB, is an ex chairman of Rio Tinto, one of the worlds biggest mining companies...meaning that there is interest in gold and silver there.

Now the bad thing....Lynn Forester de Rothschild, I believe the Rothschild name is tightly tied to the origins of the Fed as we know it, no?

Is there anyone who could offer up some thoughts/opinions on why it may or may not be a good idea to seek their endorsement based on the above that I've posted, and also based on the below Board of Directors and Trustees?

http://www.economistgroup.com/results_and_governance/board.html

BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

Sir Robert Wilson - Chairman
Sir Robert Wilson was appointed as non-executive chairman in July 2003, having served as a non-executive director since May 2002. Chairman of BG Group and a non-executive director of GlaxoSmithKline, Sir Robert was previously executive chairman of Rio Tinto.

Helen Alexander CBE - CEO
Helen Alexander was appointed as a director in November 1996 and as Group chief executive in January 1997. Having joined the company in 1984, she was circulation and marketing director of The Economist from 1987 to 1993 and managing director of the Economist Intelligence Unit from 1993 until the end of 1996. Helen is a non-executive director of Centrica and of Rolls-Royce Group.

Sir David Bell
Sir David Bell was appointed as a non-executive director in August 2005. An executive director of Pearson and chairman of the Financial Times Group, he is also chairman of Sadler's Wells and of Crisis.

Rona Fairhead
Rona Fairhead was appointed as a non-executive director in July 2005. She is chief executive of the Financial Times Group, an executive director of Pearson and a non-executive director of HSBC Holdings.

John Gardiner
John Gardiner was appointed as a non-executive director in April 1998. He was previously chairman of Tesco.

Philip Mengel
Appointed as a non-executive director in July 1999, Philip Mengel is chief executive of USC Europe and advisory director of Berkshire Partners. He is director of Electro-Motive Diesel, Inc. he was previously chief executive of US Can Corporation, English Welsh & Scottish Railway and Ibstock.

John Micklethwait
John Micklethwait was appointed as a director in May 2006. He has been editor of The Economist since April 1st 2006, having joined the editorial staff in July 1987. Previously he was US editor. John is the co-author of four books (with Adrian Wooldridge), most recently "The Right Nation".

Nigel Morris
Nigel Morris was appointed as a non-executive director in May 2004. He is a co-founder of Capital One Financial Services and former chief operating officer and president of Capital One Financial Corporation. Nigel is a member of the board of governors of London Business School, a director of Quanta Capital Holdings and trustee of New Philanthropy Capital.

Rupert Pennant-Rea
Rupert Pennant-Rea was appointed as a non-executive director in August 2006. He is chairman of Henderson Group and a director of British American Tobacco, Go-Ahead Group, Gold Fields and Times Newspapers. He was editor of The Economist from 1986 to 1993 and deputy governor of the Bank of England from 1993 to 1995.

Simon Robertson
Simon Robertson was appointed as a non-executive director in July 2005. He is non-executive chairman of Rolls Royce Group and a non-executive director of HSBC Holdings, the Royal Opera House, Berry Bros & Rudd and a partner of Simon Robertson Associates. He is chairman of the Royal Academy Trust and Trustee of the Eden Project Trust.

Lynn Forester de Rothschild
Lynn Forester de Rothschild was appointed as a non-executive director in October 2002. She is chief executive of EL Rothschild and a non-executive director of the Estée Lauder Companies. A director of the Outward Bound Trust and The Old Vic Theatre Trust ERANDA Foundation, she is also chair of the American Patrons of Tate and a member of the UN Advisors Group on Inclusive Financial Services.

Lord Stevenson of Coddenham
Lord Stevenson was appointed as a non-executive director in July 1998. Chairman of HBOS. He was previously chairman of Pearson."

Chris Stibbs
Chris Stibbs joined the company as Group finance director in July 2005. He was previously corporate development director of Incisive Media, finance director of the TBP Group and director of the FT Law and Tax Division.

Trustees

The trust shares of the company are held by trustees, whose consent is needed for certain corporate activities, such as the appointments of the editor of The Economist and of the chairman of the Group.

Lord Renwick of Clifton
Lord Renwick has been a trustee since 1995. He was British ambassador to South Africa (1987-91) and to the United States (1991-95). He is vice-chairman, Investment Banking of JPMorgan Europe and Vice-chairman of JPMorgan Cazenove, a director of Fluor Corporation, Compagnie Financière Richemont, SABMiller and Kazakhmys. He is chairman of Fluor.

Baroness Bottomley of Nettlestone PC, DL
Baroness Bottomley has been a trustee since October 2005. She heads the board practice of Odgers Ray & Berndtson. She was a member of the House of Commons (1984-2005) and a member of the Cabinet (1992-1997), serving as Secretary of State, first for Health and then for National Heritage. She is chancellor of the University of Hull, pro-chancellor of the University of Surrey and governor of the London School of Economics. She is a member of the UK Advisory Council of the International Chamber of Commerce, Cambridge University Judge Institute of Management Studies and the Supervisory Board of Akzo Nobel NV. Baroness Bottomley is a non-executive director of BUPA.

Clayton Brendish CBE
Clayton Brendish has been a trustee since 1999. He is non-executive chairman of Anite Group, Echo Research and Close Beacon Investment Fund. A non-executive director of British Telecommunications and Herald Investment Trust, he is a trustee of the Foundation for Liver Research and a director of The Test and Itchen Association.

Bryan Sanderson
Bryan Sanderson has been a trustee since May 2006. He was appointed chairman of Northern Rock in October 2007. He is chairman of the Sunderland Area Regeneration Company, a governor of the London School of Economics and a director of Durham CCC.

user
12-19-2007, 04:19 PM
The Economist leans libertarian (with some major exceptions) and it would be an impressive endorsement to get. I think the question is, how anti-Establishment are they willing to be at this point?

I'm not sure what we could do to get an endorsement. I expect they would decide this on their own.

mosquitobite
12-19-2007, 04:22 PM
The Economist leans libertarian (with some major exceptions) and it would be an impressive endorsement to get. I think the question is, how anti-Establishment are they willing to be at this point?

I'm not sure what we could do to get an endorsement. I expect they would decide this on their own.

Agreed. I subscribe to the Economist simply because where else can you get news without the typical left/right bias?

shasshas
12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
i dont think these guys publicly endorse anyone...

hat we CAN do is help provide information for their research staff on an article studying "Which Candidate is Best for America" and leading them to conlude its RON PAUL.

NOW that would be a major plus !!

Fortune Magazine and Forbes are likely to have competition then.

heheheee

btw -- anyone know any of the directors personally? you should meet with them.

Green Mountain Boy
12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Ahahahhaha...there's no way in hell this would happen. Those people you listed off are big bankers, corporate CEOs, Knights of the British Empire, and British Lords!!!

Central bankers endorsing Ron Paul??!

Again,....aahahahahaha

user
12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
i dont think these guys publicly endorse anyone...

hat we CAN do is help provide information for their research staff on an article studying "Which Candidate is Best for America" and leading them to conlude its RON PAUL.

NOW that would be a major plus !!

Fortune Magazine and Forbes are likely to have competition then.

heheheee

btw -- anyone know any of the directors personally? you should meet with them.
As T206 posted, they endorsed Kerry over Bush. They've also made other political endorsements. I don't know if they've endorsed any candidates this early in the cycle though.

T206
12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Ahahahhaha...there's no way in hell this would happen. Those people you listed off are big bankers, corporate CEOs, Knights of the British Empire, and British Lords!!!

Central bankers endorsing Ron Paul??!

Again,....aahahahahaha

Awesome, laughing at someones idea and mocking them...very helpful. This is exactly why I said I wanted some input on the BOD, Trustees, and owners. Grow up.

T206
12-19-2007, 04:36 PM
As T206 posted, they endorsed Kerry over Bush. They've also made other political endorsements. I don't know if they've endorsed any candidates this early in the cycle though.

Yeah, this is the link to the article that I found, although I can only read the first 2 paragraphs since I dont have a subscription and log in.

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=3329802

I do agree though, the endorsement came very late for Kerry, however even if we cant get an endorsement, I bet we could try to get a very fair and unbiased write up.

MalcolmGandi
12-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I think the publisher is a Bilderberger, so it would probably be a waste of time.

user
12-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, this is the link to the article that I found, although I can only read the first 2 paragraphs since I dont have a subscription and log in.

http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=3329802

I do agree though, the endorsement came very late for Kerry, however even if we cant get an endorsement, I bet we could try to get a very fair and unbiased write up.
I think they've reported on RP before, asking if he's "brave or crazy?"

I don't think this is actually offensive, that's just their style.

Moxxar
12-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm a subscriber to the economist and I think they endorsed Mccain last week.

And yes I was pretty pissed about it and wrote them a 'nice' email. Haven't got a response unfortunately. :mad:

T206
12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
I think the publisher is a Bilderberger, so it would probably be a waste of time.

Still trying to find out more, but the North American Publisher of The Economist is Paul Rossi.

fortilite
12-19-2007, 04:40 PM
It's worth it to try.

At least they can write an article on him, even if they don't endorse him.

user
12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm a subscriber to the economist and I think they endorsed Mccain last week.

And yes I was pretty pissed about it and wrote them a 'nice' email. Haven't got a response unfortunately. :mad:
What? Have they really become that stupid?

james1844
12-19-2007, 04:44 PM
On the other hand, - it might be worth sending them a letter asking them to consider supporting Paul. - We've gotten favorable comments from many in the finance industry.

Green Mountain Boy
12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Awesome, laughing at someones idea and mocking them...very helpful. This is exactly why I said I wanted some input on the BOD, Trustees, and owners. Grow up.

Please don't take it that way...I wasn't meaning to mock you. I was only laughing at the imagery of those people endorsing Ron Paul, that's all.

user
12-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Moxxar is right, the Lexington column endorsed McCain.

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10251179

The Economist has lost all credibility.

T206
12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Please don't take it that way...I wasn't meaning to mock you. I was only laughing at the imagery of those people endorsing Ron Paul, that's all.

Ok, sorry for jumping to conclusions...but if you do have evidence to support that they wouldnt even consider it, Id be happy to see so I can understand better.

Moxxar
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
What? Have they really become that stupid?

I'm afraid so. I was kinda hoping they would endorse him seeing as they make sense most of the time. But now I realise they are a bit neocon as well at times. A big article this week called for a prolonged stay in Afghanistan, and in Iraq as well. But the Mccain endorsement was really dissapointing. They still see him as a small government, 'make sense' maverick.

We all know who the real small government, make sense maverick is....

user
12-19-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm afraid so. I was kinda hoping they would endorse him seeing as they make sense most of the time. But now I realise they are a bit neocon as well at times. A big article this week called for a prolonged stay in Afghanistan, and in Iraq as well. But the Mccain endorsement was really dissapointing. They still see him as a small government, 'make sense' maverick.

It is unfortunate that even the Economist is now at least a decade behind.

T206
12-19-2007, 04:51 PM

Does that mean a few letters/emails couldnt spark a change or at least some more positive press on him? I mean it would be in their best interest to cover a candidate who they agree with on the economy.

user
12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Does that mean a few letters/emails couldnt spark a change or at least some more positive press on him? I mean it would be in their best interest to cover a candidate who they agree with on the economy.
I'm not sure they agree anymore. They may be drifting towards the corporatism that the Wall Street Journal has been supporting for decades.

Moxxar
12-19-2007, 04:55 PM
/off topic:

Btw guys, I'm a Dutch student and a libertarian. I'm one of a handfull in my country I'm afraid. Damn collectivist spirit here! *shakes fist at sky* I've been following Ron Paul since I happened to see a youtube video of a debate. After that the usual hours and hours of watching video's. I have to admit, I'm obsessed and my finals are suffering because of it. ;) If only I was a bit more wealthy I would immediately come over and support you!

I love your country and will probably move there after I finish college. You are doing great things and I really hope you succeed. It's really exciting to follow this movement and frustrating as well because of my inability to participate. What you are doing is so important, not only for your country, but for the rest of the world (including my country as well). Keep fighting the good fight!

Sorry I just had to get it off my chest. :)

B of R guy
12-19-2007, 04:55 PM
This is a great idea but the basic problem for RP here is that the Economist is very fond of central bankers and has supported the war in Iraq. I am also sure his advocacy of withdrawing American military from Korea, Germany...et al... really freaks them out.
The above will not allow them to indulge their occassional libertairan impulses.

Green Mountain Boy
12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok, sorry for jumping to conclusions...but if you do have evidence to support that they wouldnt even consider it, Id be happy to see so I can understand better.

Well, many of the people on the Board of the Economist Group appear to have serious interests in Central Banking. They would be acting against their own interests by supporting Ron Paul, who speaks out against the Federal Reserve.

-Board member and partial owner, Lynn Forester de Rothschild is a supporter of Hillary Clinton.

-I see a lot of "Lords" and "Sirs". Didn't we just have a Tea Party commorating the anniversary of sticking it to the British Royalty? :D

user
12-19-2007, 04:59 PM
/off topic:

Btw guys, I'm a Dutch student and a libertarian. I'm one of a handfull in my country I'm afraid. Damn collectivist spirit here! *shakes fist at sky* I've been following Ron Paul since I happened to see a youtube video of a debate. After that the usual hours and hours of watching video's. I have to admit, I'm obsessed and my finals are suffering because of it. ;) If only I was a bit more wealthy I would immediately come over and support you!

I love your country and will probably move there after I finish college. You are doing great things and I really hope you succeed. It's really exciting to follow this movement and frustrating as well because of my inability to participate. What you are doing is so important, not only for your country, but for the rest of the world (including my country as well). Keep fighting the good fight!

Sorry I just had to get it off my chest. :)
I didn't notice you were new! Welcome, and thanks! It is always nice to hear words of encouragement from supporters of Ron Paul around the globe. :)

Myerz
12-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I get it every week, never see Ron in it.

user
12-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I get it every week, never see Ron in it.
I believe they did cover him once, but the McCain endorsement does not even mention Ron Paul. :rolleyes:

Too bad.

Moxxar
12-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I remember now there was a piece two weeks ago that was even more blatant, which got my attention (and them a letter). It was a piece describing the foreign policy positions of everyone of the republican candidates except for.....

you guessed it....

It described the candidate's positions as hawkish and not wanting to get out of Iraq. I was almost yelling at the magazine! (I'm following dr. Paul since May and tend to get a little excited over him :rolleyes:)

So I used to think highly of the Economist, but now I think they are sell outs like a lot of others. (still not canceling the subcription though) This campaign is opening up a lot of eyes. You can see now who the real friends of liberty and limited government are. It is succesful if only for that in my opinion.

perpetualstateofwar
12-19-2007, 05:56 PM
They are big advocates of globalism and world government. They would never endorse Ron Paul.