PDA

View Full Version : Some Meetup help please

Wyurm
07-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Ok, I did leave a request for help in the strategies and success section, but nobody really seems to visit it.

I started a meetup in Joliet, IL. I didnt actually want to, not because of the money, but rather the organizing and leading people thing is really not natural for me at all. However I could see that if I didnt start one, it wasnt going to happen. So now I'm the organizer and I'm clueless. If any other leaders could offer some advice as to what to do, it would be much appreciated.

cujothekitten
07-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Ok, I did leave a request for help in the strategies and success section, but nobody really seems to visit it.

I started a meetup in Joliet, IL. I didnt actually want to, not because of the money, but rather the organizing and leading people thing is really not natural for me at all. However I could see that if I didnt start one, it wasnt going to happen. So now I'm the organizer and I'm clueless. If any other leaders could offer some advice as to what to do, it would be much appreciated.

Here's the meetup info for Chicago:
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/94/

Downers Grove,Woodridge, Lisle for Ron in 08:
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/277/?gj=sj17

Western Chicago Suburbs Ron Paul 08 Meetup:
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/185/?gj=sj17

If you get in contact with those guys they'll help you out for sure. I don't know anything about organizing or give ya more info

wolv275
07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Leadership is something that should not come out of fear, but concern and passion. And this seems to be the case for you as you have taken that step into it.

I would suggest you start by having a meeting to meet and greet. In such an event you can all get to know each other and shoot ideas collectively on what would be good Ron Paul activities to pursue. From there natural leaders will most likely emerge and give you a hand in the organization process.

The key to having a successful event would be to have a beginning (meet and greet) a middle (shoot ideas and have a moderator (you) to keep things in perspective, and then an end, where you can summarize a plan of action and where you can get an idea of who is leader material and ask for help collectively. I'm sure you will have much success.

Its hard to take charge, but its harder to see the opportunity just pass you by!

Good luck and congratulations on taking the first step.

:)

Bossobass
07-07-2007, 07:59 PM
You don't sound clueless to me.

Back when, I joined several meetup groups that are in the cities I've visited in support of the campaign. I got on their e-mail lists and read all of the e-mails, every day, and in fact, I still do try to keep up with all of the communication.

It quickly exposed me to many, many ideas.

My hero Josh Lowry's (this) forum has some great meetup ideas floating around, also. I just read one today (I think) that involved a caravan of vehicles that were all plastered with RP campaign signage.

Organizing a meetup is easy. Just have a place to meet as well as several message-spreading ideas going in and have the group select one and do it.

You picked up the ball and got things rolling in your town. That's as cool as it gets, IMHO. Just go to the next level and it will grow from there.

I'm sure you'll get lots more in the way of suggestions from the great folks in this forum. Feedback how it goes, if you don't mind. :)

Bosso

RohanT
07-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Check your meetup page for a guideline, http://ronpaul.meetup.com/461/, and be sure to send messages to interested people in the surrounding area.

It'll take care of itself from there and I have no doubt you'll do just fine.

Bradley in DC
07-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Congrats and thanks! We all need to step up to the plate. I'm sure you're not the only one out there. Try organizing a meeting (the Belly of the Beast group just met at a bar for a happy hour to get started and meet each other). Advertise on some free site: Craigslist, local paper community announcement section, etc. Look to the other Meetup groups (and us, of course) for help.

Wyurm
07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks to all of you. :) I contacted the leader of the Western Chicago Suburbs meetup group, invited all the interested, just have to come up with a meeting place which I will do tomorrow.

hells_unicorn
07-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm in the same boat here, I just started a meet-up in Quakertown and I'm sort of learning as I go. One advantage I have is that I've already done some work with the Allentown meet-up, which is only about 15 miles away from me and their coordinator Chris is very knowledgeable on how to get the ball rolling on things.

Right now most of my registered members are people from other nearby towns who want to keep in contact with me, but I have 2 or 3 co-workers at my business who I have won over to the Ron Paul cause, one of them is friends with the owner of a local pub that is going to host our meetings.

The best way to expand your group is to start close to home, look for people around you who are like-minded, either at work or even in your own family. They will talk to people, they in turn will talk to others, and in very little time you'll have yourself several dozens of fellow grassroots campaigners.