PDA

View Full Version : I'm not even a citizen, but I donated money

giskard
07-07-2007, 04:47 PM
I have NEVER donated money before, and used to be very apathetic towards politics.. until Ron Paul. I am a permanent resident, not a citizen (came here legally).

Anyone resemble my remarks?

BarryDonegan
07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
whats your nation of origin?

FreedomLover
07-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Same for me, except I was born here.

qednick
07-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Me too. GC holder from the UK. Can't apply for citizenship till early 2009.
Wife is a native Texan so at least she can vote. :)

Nefertiti
07-07-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm just hoping my Egyptian husband gets his citizenship in time to vote in the general election (he is eligible to apply at the end of Sept.). I turned him on to Ron Paul and hope he will be able to do some campaigning to other Egyptians here with US citizenship.

He was issued his immigrant visa in a lightning fast 2 months 2.5 years ago at the American embassy in Cairo and hopefully his citizenship application won't take long either. It helps I think that he has an unusual last name because there is no chance they will confuse him with someone on one of those "terrorist watch lists." :(

kylejack
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Aren't foreign donations illegal, though?

Duckman
07-07-2007, 07:09 PM

I think it's through his American citizen wife...

PaleoForPaul
07-07-2007, 07:15 PM

Are they? I was always wondering that, because international support for Dr. Paul I suspect would be high.

Avalon
07-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Are they? I was always wondering that, because international support for Dr. Paul I suspect would be high.

They can always indirectly support a candidate via PACs/507's and funding events/ads themselves directly.

Defining Obscene
07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Good to hear Ron Paul is reaching the masses. I am ashamed to say that I haven't donated yet and I am a citizen. But I have pledged to vote and support Ron Paul every way possible.

giskard
07-08-2007, 10:19 AM
I was born and raised in the Philippines. In 2000 I got a job in silicon valley and got my premanent residency. It's funny but I first heard about the Federal Reserve's duplicity and Aaron Russo's "Freedom to Fascism" years ago from an old intellectual type friend who lives in the Philippines. It was from Aaron Russo's blog that I first heard of Ron Paul. And, the more I learn about the US Constitution, the more I want to be a part of this country.

qednick
07-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Non-US citizen green card holders [b]can[/] donate but can't vote.

Foreign nationals who do not have a green card can't donate.

kylejack
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.

Bradley in DC
07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Non-US citizen green card holders [b]can[/] donate but can't vote.

Foreign nationals who do not have a green card can't donate.

Right, they can't donate directly to the official presidential campaign, but they can contribute to independent volunteer projects such as the DVD project and Operation Spooner, etc.