PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Jefferson quote of the day

RPatTheBeach
12-19-2007, 06:46 AM
I've got this site that gives me a TJ quote each day. A lot of them are really good. Thought some of you may appreciate some of them. Here's today's:

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

Seth M.
12-19-2007, 06:53 AM
blimpin good quote there.. :)

princessredtights
12-19-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm just curious what that site is - do you mind sharing? :)

RPatTheBeach
12-20-2007, 06:43 AM
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.

The quotes are coming from my Google Widget, obtained from this site: http://gadgets.zytu.com/indexNew.html

rbu
12-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.:)

PatriotG
12-20-2007, 07:56 AM
TJ Was the Man!!

One of my personal favorites:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

PatriotG

RPatTheBeach
12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Here's today's:

The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object.

RPatTheBeach
12-23-2007, 06:30 AM
sorry, missed a day. This one I think everyone on this forum should read!

We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it.

Liberty Star
12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Words of wisdom.

RPatTheBeach
12-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Oh, how true it is:

We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

freedom-maniac
12-24-2007, 07:38 AM
"Objection to tyranny is obedieance to God," Thomas Jefferson

RPatTheBeach
12-25-2007, 06:40 AM
12/25

I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Captain Shays
12-25-2007, 10:40 AM
TJ Was the Man!!

One of my personal favorites:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

PatriotG

He said that in response to being informed by one of his friends of Shays Rebellion while he was in France. Shays Rebellion was the chain of events that brought Washington out or retirement and the delegates into Philly to hash out a more perfect union. Shays Rebellion was also considered the be the result of too much democracy and was foremost in the minds of the founders and was a huge cause of their efforts to do everything in their power to prevent us from becoming a democracy. It steered the course of the debates.

In peace, thruth and freedom,

Captain Shays

RPatTheBeach
12-26-2007, 06:41 AM

No government ought to be without censors & where the press is free, no one ever will.

NorwegianLibertarian
12-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Jefferson on christianity: ;-)

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used agaisnt unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.

And:

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

NorwegianLibertarian
12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
blimp

RPatTheBeach
12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Health is worth more than learning..

asgardshill
12-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Who did I piss off to get put on the $2 bill? US Grant, probably one of the worst Presidents this country ever had, gets his obese mug on the $50? Its a scandal!

RPatTheBeach
12-29-2007, 10:39 PM
An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens.

NMCB3
12-29-2007, 11:04 PM
All the Jefferson quotes you can handle, enjoy. :D http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeffcont.htm

RPatTheBeach
12-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Advertisements... contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper...

rational thinker
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Thomas Jefferson is my idol. But my question about him is that if he was so keen on reason and logic to believe in certain things (which is why he wasn't Christian) why was he still a believer in God (being a deist as he was) when you cannot prove God's existence using any form of logic or reason for that matter?

RPatTheBeach
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Thomas Jefferson is my idol. But my question about him is that if he was so keen on reason and logic to believe in certain things (which is why he wasn't Christian) why was he still a believer in God (being a deist as he was) when you cannot prove God's existence using any form of logic or reason for that matter?

Probably because you cannot disprove it either?

Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no hook beneath it.

RPatTheBeach
01-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day..

RPatTheBeach
01-06-2008, 06:20 AM
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies...

MN Patriot
01-06-2008, 08:10 AM
And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

Wow, 200 years ago Tom could see how silly the idea is that a virgin was impregnated by a ghost. Unfortunately most people are willing to suspend rational thought and accept this preposterous idea. I attribute people's irrational religous beliefs to the acceptance of other irrational political and economic beliefs.