PDA

View Full Version : Issue: Foreign Policy: Israel

RPeurope
07-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Since the Pro-Israel lobby is so strong in USA, this is an important question.

How will Ron Paul answer tough questions about Israel? Apartheid on West bank? What is his policy? Would he cut the funding? Or engage in some new peace process?

walt
07-07-2007, 03:24 PM
The constitution says nothing about funding foriegn countries, Ron would cut it because we can't afford it.

SeanEdwards
07-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Paul endorses a non-interventionist foreign policy. Paul is ideologically opposed to foreign aid. By what right does the Federal government confiscate our wealth and give it to foreign individuals to be used for unkown purposes? The whole concept is ridiculous. If individuals want to support Israel, or Darfur, or Kosovo, or whatever, they can do it out of individual choice and not because of collective force.

RPeurope
07-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I would like to read his own words if this question has been asked. It could be important for his campaign.

austin356
07-07-2007, 03:31 PM
He recently gave a real good talk about Israel and how our policy now HURTS Israel. If someone can link that for the OP that would be great.

SeanEdwards
07-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I would like to read his own words if this question has been asked. It could be important for his campaign.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul363.html

RPeurope
07-07-2007, 03:42 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul363.html
Thanks! Just what I thought he would say. I liked particularly the last paragraph:

The simple truth is that we cannot resolve every human conflict across the globe, and there will always be violence somewhere on earth. The fatal conceit lies in believing America can impose geopolitical solutions wherever it chooses.

jj111
07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Ron Paul Isolationism in his own words

7/5/07 Radio Interview with Michael Smerconish

9:40 minute

Michael Smerconish: Do you call this view of the world an isolationist policy?

Ron Paul: I don’t. Some like to accuse me of that, but I’m the opposite of an isolationist. I’m a free-trader, and I like low tariffs; I like travel, and I like to be friends with everybody. I think what we have today is diplomatic isolationism. When you think about it, we have more enemies and less allies than ever before, we go it alone, and I think we have become an isolationist nation. But my position is a lot different than that.

Michael Smerconish: One other on this score. I love having this conversation. I’m generally enthused about what you say our foreign policy should be. What do we about our friends in Israel?

Ron Paul: I think just like so much of our foreign policy has unintended consequences, I think we have literally put Israel in a weakened position. Israel can take of herself. She has 200 or 300 nuclear weapons. Nobody’s going to touch her. She can take care of anybody over there. By us perpetually giving Israel money, Israel can’t do what she has to do for herself – they have to get permission from us, or we say “we won’t give you our money unless you take orders from us.” And besides, Israel without us there taking care of her day to day, Israel would be more likely to pursue peace with Syria. They want to now, but we stop Israel from pursuing any peace treaty with Syria. So I think in the long run, we harm Israel. A lot of people won’t accept that, but I sincerely believe that. Israel is very capable. The whole problem with my position is they say “you don’t care about Israel”, but if what I say could possibly be true, we may be doing Israel more harm than good.

MGS
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks! Just what I thought he would say. I liked particularly the last paragraph:

The simple truth is that we cannot resolve every human conflict across the globe, and there will always be violence somewhere on earth. The fatal conceit lies in believing America can impose geopolitical solutions wherever it chooses.

Absolutely.. absolutely.

BarryDonegan
07-07-2007, 04:47 PM
israel is a pretty huge foreign policy error on the part of the US from the Woodrow Wilson era. we have no business being involved in that if we are following a foreign policy of non intervention. Ron Paul would suggest allies with noone.

Ponce
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Being a an "allie" with the state of Israel is like trying to be friends with your mother in law who is always traying to do you no good...... hell, I would divorce my wife just to get rid of my mother in law.

RPeurope
07-10-2007, 03:22 AM
I don't think any American president is capable to ever bring peace to middle east. It's like throwing money away. Less intervention is really the best plan, because as soon as these people are left to fight with their own money there will be more need for peace and less violence. So Ron Paul doesn't really have to have a plan, but he better sound like he has, that's what other politicians are doing, they promise you more than they can deliver.

Nefertiti
07-10-2007, 06:09 AM
It's easy to say let the private sector give foreign aid but that will also require a change in our classification of some private organizations as "terror supporters." Many people would like to give humanitarian aid to the Palestinians for example, but are afraid that if they do so the US government will brand them as terrorism supporters because at any time the government can classify a charitable organization as a terror sponsor.

Ponce
07-10-2007, 09:10 AM
We were at peace in the Middle East till we started to give BILLIONS of dollars to the state of Israel..... that''s aid, from you the tax payers. that was used for war and not peace.

The US is holding a tiger by they tail and they can't let go because if they do then the tiger will eat them alive.